The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Commoner

Portuguese History

I had posted the following in the Royal Library forum under the thread Books on Portuguese History, but thought I would start another thread here in this forum to get others' comments and observations about Portuguese history.

"I just finished reading Portugal: A Companion History. I found it very helpful, providing a good, quick overview of the history of Portugal. I had one observation about Portugal's history. It seems that when Portugal experienced instability and turmoil, it was because it was attempting to negotiate its way through the conflicts between Spain, France, England and/or the Dutch, or these powers were attempting to pit Portugal against their enemies. No wonder Portugal had such difficult times."

There may be those who will disagree with me on this point, but I have to have some sympathies with even the "unpoplular" monarchs during those times since it would have been no easy feat to maintain the sovereignty and integrity of the Portuguese nation. Just the fact that Portugal maintained its integrity and sovereignty while being subjected to great forces that could have pulled it apart, should make the Portuguese people very proud of their history and themselves as a people.

Tags
portuguese history

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portuguese Royal Orders Marengo The Royal Family of Portugal 18 11-19-2013 10:06 AM
Portuguese Nobility Marengo The Royal Family of Portugal 50 03-04-2012 12:40 PM
Books on Portuguese Monarchy rchainho Royal Library 25 12-01-2010 07:20 AM

Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander norway palace picture thread pom pregnancy prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim prince laurent princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess annette princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess marilene princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sheikh state visit wedding willem-alexander william

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.