On This Day: Portuguese Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
On October 25, 1951, Queen Amelia of Portugal died.

On October 26, 1802, King Miguel I of Portugal was born.

Last edited by a moderator:
October 31, 1345 ~ Birth of King Ferdinand I of Portugal in Lisbon

October 31, 1391 ~ Birth of King Duarte of Portugal in Viseu

October 31, 1838 ~ Birth of King Luis of Portugal in Lisbon

November 6, 1656 ~ Demise of King John IV of Portugal in Lisbon

November 14, 1866 ~ Demise of King Miguel I of Portugal
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-m...rtugal-2361828-2651834-portrait-48728186.html

November 15, 1498 ~ Birth of Eleanor of Austria, Queen of Portugal, the spouse of King Manuel I of Portugal

November 15, 1853 ~ Demise of Queen Maria II of Portugal

November 15, 1889 ~ Birth of King Manuel II of Portugal

December 5, 1496 Manuel I of Portugal issued a decree expelling the Jews from Portugal. He wished to marry his nephew Alfonso's widow Isabella of Aragon but her parents Ferdinand and Isabella would not agree to wed her into a country that still allowed Jews, having expelled them from Spain. Jewish people were forced to either convert or leave the country without their children. Those who did convert though could not face inquisition over their new beliefs for thirty years (which got extended). And when the Lisbon Massacre happened ten years later, the murder of suspected Jews, Manuel saw to the execution of the leaders.

December 6, 1185 ~ Demise of King Alfonso I of Portugal

December 9, 1706 ~ Demise of King Pedro II of Portugal

1392- Birth of Peter, Duke of Coimbra. Son of John I of Portgual and Philippa of Lancaster, he was a grandson of John of Gaunt and his wife Blanche. Peter served as regent to his nephew Alfonso V. His brother Alfonso, Duke of Braganza turned their nephew against him when Alfonso came of age. Peter was wrongly accused of being a rebel, and later died in battle. Peter though would live on in memory. Peter's daughter Isabella would marry Alfonso V, and her son John would be John II. He often cited his grandfather as a major influence on his reign. His granddaughter Joan (also child of Isabella) would be beatified by Pope Innocent XII. Though never canonized, she is sometimes referred to as Princess Saint Joan.

December 11, 1826 ~ Demise of Maria Leopoldina of Austria, Queen Consort of King Pedro IV of Portugal

December 13, 1521 ~ Demise of King Manuel I of Portugal

December 15, 1885 ~ Demise of Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, King Consort of Queen Maria II. He was King Ferdinand II of Portugal.

December 16, 1909 ~ Demise of Adelaide of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg, the spouse of King Miguel of Portugal

December 17, 1734 ~ Birth of Queen Maria I at Ribeira Palace

December 27, 1683 ~ Demise of Maria Francisca of Savoy. She was the Queen Consort of King Alfonso VI and King Pedro II.

January 1, 1836 ~ The wedding of Queen Maria I of Portugal and Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary
:heartflower::heartflower::heartflower::heartflower::heartflower::heartflower::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell:

January 4, 1248 ~ Demise of King Sancho II of Portugal

January 7, 1325 ~ Demise of King Dinis of Portugal

January 15, 1432 ~ Birth of King Afonso V of Portugal

January 15, 1781 ~ Demise of Mariana Victoria of Spain, Queen Consort of King Joseph I

January 18, 1367 ~ Demise of King Pedro I of Portugal

January 20, 1554 - Birth of King Sebastian of Portugal

January 31, 1512 ~ Birth of Cardinal-King Henry of Portugal

January 31, 1580 ~ Demise of Cardinal-King Henry of Portugal
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-h...rtugal-2781578-3111580-portrait-19858340.html

February 1, 1908 ~ Assassination of King Carlos I of Portugal

February 8, 1291 ~ Birth of King Afonso IV of Portugal

February 14, 1847 ~ Birth of Maria Pia of Savoy, Queen Consort of King Luis I

February 16, 1279 ~ Demise of King Afonso III of Portugal

Afonso III of Portugal is buried at the Royal Monastery of Santa Maria de Alcobaça in Portugal.

334px-D._Afonso_III_%28Quinta_da_Regaleira%29.png

February 21, 1462 ~ Birth of Joanna of Castile, Queen Consort of King Afonso V of Portugal

February 24, 1777 ~ Birth of King Joseph I of Portugal at Ribeira Palace in Lisbon

February 24, 1777 ~ Birth of King Joseph I of Portugal at Ribeira Palace in Lisbon

At the time of his birth he had an older brother Pedro,but as is so often the case he died in October 1714 and Jose became heir.

March 1st,1432 -Birth of Isabel of Coimbra the daughter of the Infante Pedro, Duke of Coimbra, and Isabella of Aragon, Countess of Urgel ,she later married her cousin Afonso V in 1447.

Isabel_de_Coimbra.PNG

March 3, 1455 ~ Birth of King John II of Portugal

March 4, 1394 ~ Birth of Prince Henry the Navigator

March 4, 1394 ~ Birth of Prince Henry the Navigator

He was the third surviving son of João I and Philippa of Lancaster ,he was bestowed the Dukedom of Viseu in 1415 which he held for life.

376px-Henry_the_Navigator1.jpg

8 March 1293 -Birth of Beatriz de Castile future Queen Consort of Portugal.

Beatriz de Castile was the youngest daughter of Sancho IV and María de Molina.

330px-Rainha_D._Beatriz_de_Castela_II_-_Rei_D._Afonso_IV.jpg

March 18, 1603 ~ Birth of King John IV of Portugal

March 20, 1816 ~ Demise of Queen Maria I of Portugal in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

March 25, 1223 ~ Demise of King Afonso II of Portugal

March 28, 1835 ~ Demise of Auguste de Beauharnais of Leuchtenberg, the First husband of Queen Maria II of Portugal

April 4 1819 ~ Birth of Queen Maria II of Portugal

April 8, 1320 ~ Birth of King Pedro I of Portugal

On this day,20 May 1449 : Death of Infante Dom Pedro, Duke of Coimbra,Regent of Portugal .

Infante Pedro was the son of João I,King of Portugal and Philippa of Lancaster.In 1418 he undertook an extensive travels throughout Europe for the next 10 years,taking him to Castile and then onto through the Holy Roman Empire,Hungary ,Bohemia,Venice, the Papal States and then onto Constantinople.In 1429 he married Isabella of Urgell and had several children.Upon the death of his older brother Edward, King of Portugal in 1338 he acted as Regent for his nephew Alfonso V Portugal.Ousted as Regent in 1448 by his nephew ,Pedro himself died on the 20th of May 1449 during the Battle of Alfarrobeira. His remains are buried at the Batalha Monastery in Portugal.

363px-Peter_of_Coimbra_%28St._Vincent_Panels%29.jpg

July 4, 1336 death of Saint Elizabeth of Portugal/Queen Isabel of Portugal.

She was born January 4 1271 in Aragon. Her father Peter was the eldest son of James I of Aragon. Her father succeeded the throne in 1276 as Peter III. Her mother was Constance of Sicily, daughter of Manfred of Sicily and Beatrice of Savoy. Elizabeth was named for her paternal great aunt, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary. Peter's mother was Violant of Hungary, a daughter of Andrew II, and a half-sister to Elizabeth.

Her parents had six children. Three of her brothers were kings:

-Alfonso: succeeded his father as Alfonso III. Died at 25, 6 years after ascending the throne.
-James: succeeded Alfonso as James II. Was married four times. His only children were from his second wife Blanche of Anjou (first marriage was annulled before consummated). Succeeded by his second son Alfonso IV after his elder son renounced his claim and became a monk.
-Frederick: became Frederick III of Sicily. Their mother Constance was queen of Sicily in her own right, and the throne eventually passed to Frederick. Married Eleanor of Anjou and 9 children. Was succeeded by his eldest son Peter.
-Yolande: Duchess of Calabria. Married Robert of Naples, but was never Queen of Naples as she died before her husband took the throne. Bore him two sons. Her husband was succeeded by their granddaughter Joanna.
-Peter-only brother not to be king. married Guillemette, daughter of Gaston VII, Viscount of Béarn.

When she was 10 her marriage to Dennis of Portugal was arranged, in 1281. Dennis had come to the throne in 1279 following the death of his father Alfonso III. Dennis was 20. They were married in 1288 when she was 17 and her husband was 26.

Elizabeth showed a deep passion for faith from a young age and this continued during her marriage. She sought to aid the sick and poor of her new country which brought her some ill will at court. But she seemed to have a good affect on her husband.

Elizabeth was quite active in politics (as a saint she is known as the peace maker). She was very active in the Treaty of Alcañices, between her husband and Fernando IV of Castile which fixed the borders of the two countries. She and her husband also helped to arbitrate peace between Fernando and her brother James II.

Between 1322 and 1324 civil war broke out between her husband and their son Alfonso. Alfonso resented his father favored one of his bastards over him. Dennis was prevented from killing his son by his wife. As the story goes Elizabeth road out between the armies on a mule at Alvalade and forced a peace between her husband and son. Peace wasn't truly achieved until the bastard died that same year.

Her husband died in 1325 and she retired to a convent of the Poor Clares Monastery of Santa Clara-a-Velha . She had founded the convent. She continued her devotion to the poor. She fed people from her own cellars during a great famine. She saw to the education of children of poor nobles and even dowries for girls from poorer families. The convent took in pilgrims for shelter. She was also a benefactor to many hospitals.

In 1336 she was called upon a final time to make peace. Her son Alfonso had marched on the troops of her son in law Alfonso XI of Castile. Her son in law had been abusive of her daughter. Though old and in poor health she headed for Estremoz, and helped to negotiate peace between the two kings. Unfortunately it was too much for her, and it brought on her final illness. She died at Estremoz castle on July 4.

She was not buried with her husband. She was instead originally buried at the Convent of Santa Clara in Coimbra. After a great deal of flooding, in the 17th century, the Poor Clares had her moved to Monastery of Santa Clara-a-Nova where she was buried in a coffin of silver and crystal in the main chapel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monastery_of_Santa_Clara-a-Nova

She was beatified in 1526 and canonized by Urban VIII in 1625. Her feast day was moved to July 8 originally due to the Octave of Saint Peter and Paul but the Octave was discontinued and her feast day was moved back. In the US though it is celebrated July 5 due to the US Independence holiday.

She was the mother of two children:

-Alfonso- succeeded his father as Alfonso IV. He was married to Beatrice of Castile, a sister of Ferdinand IV. They had seven children. He broke the mold by having no children out of wedlock. Succeeded by his son Peter.

-Constance- was married to Ferdinand IV of Castile. Had two children, a son Alfonso who succeeded his father, and a daughter Eleanor who originally was to marry James, eldest son of James II of Aragon. James refused to consummate the marriage and eventually was allowed to become a monk. Eleanor ended up married to his younger brother the future Alfonso IV for whom she bore 2 children. She was Alfonso's second wife and he was succeeded by a son from his first marriage.

On this day, it happened:

In 1382, the Peace Treaty was signed between King Fernando I of Portugal and King Juan of Castile.

In 1415, the Portuguese armada commanded by King John I crosses the Strait of Gibraltar, reaching the waters of Ceuta.

In 1511, Afonso de Albuquerque conquered Malacca.

August 14, 1754 ~ Demise of Maria Anna of Austria, Queen Consort of King John V of Portugal

August 14, 1754 ~ Demise of Maria Anna of Austria, Queen Consort of King John V of Portugal

While her body was laid to rest in Lisbon, her heart was taken home to Vienna where it was laid to rest with her family in the imperial crypt.

August 21, 1643 birth of Alfonso VI of Portugal.

He was the son of John IV of Portugal and Luisa María Francisca de Guzmán y Sandova. Luise was the daughter of Juan Manuel Pérez de Guzmán, 8th Duke of Medina Sidonia, a Spanish aristocrat. His parents had five children who reached adulthood. He was the second son who reached adulthood, but his brother Teodosio died at 19 unmarried, as did his sister Joanna who was 18. His older sister Catherine married Charles II of England. His only younger sibling was his brother Pedro.

Unlike his older siblings, Alfonso was born an Infante of Portugal, as his father ascended the throne in 1640 (Catherine who was his closest older sibling who made it out of infancy was born in 1638).

Alfonso was not a healthy child or man. He suffered an illness at the age of three which left him paralyzed on one side. And mentally weak. His father made him Duke of Braganza and in 1653 he became heir to the throne when his eldest brother died.

He succeeded the throne in 1656 at 13 when his father died. His mother Luisa was named regent for her son in her husband's will. Between his physical condition and mental status, as well as lack of any interest in governing, allowed his mother to rule for six years. His reign did see the end to the Restoration war, and Spain's recognition of their throne.

His mother's power came to an end at the hands of Count of Castelo Melhor. The Count took advantage of the king's state, and becoming his favorite, convinced the king his mother was trying to steal his throne. Alfonso exiled his mother to a convent in 1662.

He had a short lived marriage to Maria Francisca of Savoy. She was the daughter of Charles Amadeus, Duke of Nemours. Her mother was the granddaughter of Henry IV of France (Maria's paternal grandfather Cesare was a bastard son of Henry). They were married in 1666 but Maria quickly filed for annulment. It was granted on the basis that he was impotent. It was granted in 1667.

That year his younger brother Pedro rose to power. He forced his brother to relinquish power and he became regent in 1668. He was exiled to Terceira Island for seven years. When his health weakened even more he was permitted to return to the mainland but he was kept prisoner at Sintra National Palace. He died in 1683.

His cell at Sintra

Bedchamber-prison of Afonso VI - Sintra

Pedro would rule as Pedro II until 1706. He married his brother's former wife Maria in 1668. Maria died in 1683, the same year as Alfonso, making her second time as queen consort even shorter then the first (her husband officially became king when his brother died September 12, and Maria died in December). Maria bore her second husband only one child.

-Isabel Luisa, Princess of Beira: died in 1690 at the age of 21. She was the heir to the throne until 1689. She died of smallpox having never married, though was proposed marriage a number of times.

Pedro would later marry Maria Sophia of Neuburg who bore him seven children including his heir John V.

His mother died in the convent in 1666.

He was buried in The Monastery of São Vicente de For a, now in the Royal Pantheon of the House of Braganza.

Portuguese Royal Burial Sites – House of Braganza | Unofficial Royalty

August 28, 1481 ~ Demise of King Afonso V of Portugal

On this day it happened:

1471 - D. Afonso V conquers Arzila.

1815 - Portugal recognizes the independence of Brazil.

September 7, 1783 ~ Birth of Maria Anna of Austria, Queen of Portugal, the wife of King John V of Portugal

September 15, 1837 ~ Birth of King Pedro V of Portugal

September 15, 1837 ~ Birth of King Pedro V of Portugal

A day early, he was born September 16.

madmonarchist.blogspot.com/2012/08/monarch-profile-king-pedro-v-of-portugal.html

Unfortunately he died from cholera at the age of 24, along with several other members of his family. He and his brother Fernando died within days of each other, and Joao died a month later.

His wife Stephanie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen had died in 1859 (2 years before he died) from diptheria only a year into their marriage. Pedro was succeeded by his brother Luis I.

Back
Top Bottom