King Manuel II (1889-1932) and Auguste Vitória of Hohenzollern (1890-1966)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
This thread is about the last King of Portugal, Dom Manuel II and his wife, Princess Auguste-Viktoria of Hohenzollern (later Countess Douglas).

Manuel II of Portugal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manuel II the Patriot or the Missed King , born as Manuel Maria Filipe Carlos Amelio Luis Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Francisco de Assis Eugenio de Saxe-Coburgo-Gotha e Braganca (9 March 1889 Lisbon - 2 July 1932 Twickenham), reign as Manuel II 1908-1910.

Augusta Victoria Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (19 Aug 1890-29 Aug 1966) was a daughter of Wilhelm Prince of Hohenzollern (1864-1927) and his first wife Princess Maria Teresa of Bourbon-Two Sicilies. Wilhelm was a son of Prince Leopold and Infanta Antonia of Portugal. Maria Teresa was a daughter of Francis II of the Two Sicilies and Sophia of Bavaria younger sister of Empress Elisabeth of Austria-Hungary.
Augusta and Manuel married 4 Sept 1913.
After Manuel's eath she married 23 Apr 1939 Robert Douglas, Count Douglas (1880-1955).
Augusta Victoria of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Correio da Manhã
A história do último Rei português - DiarioEconomico.com

D. Duarte asked the cable History Channel to prepare a couple of documentaries: one about D. Nuno Álvares Pereira and another about the period when the Portuguese court was moved to Brazil. The suggestions were made last Tuesday, in Lisbon, during the presentation of D. Manuel II, Rei Traído (a documentary that the cable channel will air next February 25 and which had D. Duarte's participation.
D. Manuel II was the last king of Portugal and lived the exile in Twickenham (outskirts of London), where he became godfather of 300 children..

D. Duarte asked the cable History Channel to prepare a couple of documentaries: one about D. Nuno Álvares Pereira and another about the period when the Portuguese court was moved to Brazil. The suggestions were made last Tuesday, in Lisbon, during the presentation of D. Manuel II, Rei Traído (a documentary that the cable channel will air next February 25 and which had D. Duarte's participation.
Jornal de Notícias - Último rei de Portugal renasce no Canal de História

"D. Manuel II, betrayed king" is more than a mere biographical report; it drafts a historical portrait of the socio-economic and political context that surrounded the life of an 18-year-old man, a lover of music and literature, who was thrown to a throne, which he had not been prepared for, after the violent murders of his father and brother, and who suddendly died in 1932, without any descendant.

Through videos and photographs (two of the king's passions), as well as his private journal (which accompanies his whole life and where he describes with detail the 1908 regicide), this 55-minute-long documentary rescues one of the most unknown Portuguese kings.

Aired last Monday, it was directed by Rui Pinto de Almeida and counted on Prof. Mendo Castro Henriques' historical consult and included, among others, the testimonies of D. Duarte de Bragança and of Doris Bligh, a contemporary neighbour of Twickenham (London), where D. Manuel II and his wife, D.ª Augusta Vitória, lived the exhile and who still remembers the monarchs.

"That locality still gathers a collective memory of D. Manuel II. Between 1914 and 1932, the king became the godfather of 300 British children, which prooves his charisma and afectuon", says the producer Rui Pinto de Almeida.

D.Augusta Victoria

I've asked in other Forums and Message Boards and I am beginning to despair.

Has someone got a photo of Count Douglas, D. Augusta's 2nd husband.
I am wondering if he ever exhisted :D as there seems to be no trace of him.

Thanks in advance

I've asked in other Forums and Message Boards and I am beginning to despair.

Has someone got a photo of Count Douglas, D. Augusta's 2nd husband.
I am wondering if he ever exhisted :D as there seems to be no trace of him.

Thanks in advance

Yes, he existed. :D :D Here is his profile, but no picture.

I've searched everywhere I could, but I didn't find any picture of Karl. It's quite strange, nor even a picture of the wedding with Dª Augusta...

Count Douglas

He could feature in "The Invisible Man" :D:lol::D

Is anyone in England? I am looking for help about King Manuel II.

Is anyone in England? I am looking for help about King Manuel II.

I guess there a few people in England.
F.i. The Queen :lol:
What kind of help do you need ?

Found this at the Franco-Iberian Royal Message Board.

The Franco-Iberian Royals Message Board: Portuguese Memorial Unveiled

I am pleased that the community did not forget him.

Channel History recently re-run the program on King D.Manuel II and his exile in Twickenham.

He was a very beloved member of the local community, and a supporter of the local Catholic Church, to whom he bequested some items such a christening silver shell.

New biography on Manuel II and Victoria Augusta.

Great news! The respected historian Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano has just written the history of D. Manuel II in his exile.
It´s a personal biography without politics. Queen Victoria Augusta plays a major role in this book.
Ricardo Mateos searched the archives of Sigmaringen and brings many new facts to light.
D. Manuel II, O Último Rei de Portugal, Ricardo Mateos Sainz De Medrano - WOOK

Great news! The respected historian Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano has just written the history of D. Manuel II in his exile.
It´s a personal biography without politics. Queen Victoria Augusta plays a major role in this book.
Ricardo Mateos searched the archives of Sigmaringen and brings many new facts to light.

I'd love to read this book on King Manuel II but have not managed to buy. King Manuel II Kings is my favorite. It was a good king and did his best to Portugal.

Manuel II liked fencing, golf, and lawn tennis.

In List of Portuguese consorts from Wikipedia, the statement was written:

Augusta Victoria was married to a de facto king, the union was after his deposition as King of Portugal.

King Manuel II opened the New Bedford Club.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWvmS5wjfZ0

King Manuel II hunted in the woods of Windsor with King Edward VII of Great Britain in 1909.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/930014886

Last edited by a moderator:
It´s ver ysad he was exiled - despite his youth he tried so hard to make the portugese monarchy popular again and more accessible and he toured the country to get in touch with the people and learn about their problems, and that at a time long befor it became usual for monarchs to search the people´s goodwill! He really didn´t deserve this treatment and I strongly believe Portugal would have profited if he had a chance for a long reign.

It´s ver ysad he was exiled - despite his youth he tried so hard to make the portugese monarchy popular again and more accessible and he toured the country to get in touch with the people and learn about their problems, and that at a time long befor it became usual for monarchs to search the people´s goodwill! He really didn´t deserve this treatment and I strongly believe Portugal would have profited if he had a chance for a long reign.

I agree with everything you said. D. Manuel II was a good King and I believe that if I had continued his reign, would have done a lot for Portugal.

Manuel was definitely one of the best looking monarchs during his "twens" in the last 100, 150 years. For me he was similarly charismatic like the young King Constantine II/ Greece!

Last edited by a moderator:

Does anyone know how I can contact the author Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano?

I would appreciate this information.

Many thanks

Does anyone know how I can contact the author Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano?

I would appreciate this information.

Many thanks

Please contact the publisher that publishes his books.

Guided by Anthony Bailey, move on the Centenary Appeal, which will pay tribute to the Portuguese soldiers killed in World War I, as well as erecting a statue of King Manuel II in Twickenham, where he lived in exile.
Why Mr. Dom Duarte, Duke of Braganza, is the patron of this organisation:

In my capacity as Chairman of the Portuguese Centenary Appeal I called on Lord True, Leader of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames at the Town Hall in Twickenham a few days ago.

Discussions were held concerning the recently launched Portuguese Centenary Appeal and the prospect of future events and projects aimed at promoting both national ties between Britain and Portugal as well as civic ties between Sintra and Richmond upon Thames.

The Appeal seeks funds to create the first war memorial in Britain to the Portuguese War dead of WW1; to erect a statue to Portugal's last King and longtime local resident Dom Manuel II and to restore St James's Church in Twickenham where he prayed. I delivered too a letter to Lord True from the Mayor of Sintra, Dr Basilio Horta.

The current Town Hall, York House in Twickenham was where Queen consort Maria Amelia of Portugal was born in 1895. Born a Princess of Orleans she later married King Carlos I of Portugal and was the mother of King Manuel II - Portugal's last King who, on the declaration of the Republic in 1910, lived in exile in Twickenham from 1911 until his untimely death in 1932 and his subsequent return to Lisbon where he was accorded a State Funeral. Councillor Clare Head also attended the meeting.

For more information and ways to support this appeal please visit Home - Portuguese Centenary AppealPortuguese Centenary Appeal

Last edited:
Most interesting articles about British and Portuguese connections and shared history in that link, Blog Real - thank you. I wish the Appeal every success.

Back
Top Bottom