King Jose I 'The Reformer' and Queen Mariana Vitória

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
José I Francisco António Inácio Norberto Agostinho, King of Portugal and the Algarves (Lisbon, 6 June 1714 - Lisbon, 24 February 1777); married by proxy in Madrid on 27 December 1727 and in person in Lisbon at 31 March 1732 Princess Mariana Vitoria of Spain (Madrid, 31 January 1718 - Lisbon, 15 January 1781)

Reign: 1750 - 1777

Predecessor: King João V of Portugal and the Algarves

Succeeded by: Queen Maria I of Portugal and the Algarves

Children: Queen Maria I, Princess Maria Ana and Princess Maria Francisca of Portugal and Princess Maria Francisca of Brazil

Parents King José: King João V of Portugal and Archduchess Maria Anna of Austria

Parents Queen Mariana Victoria: King Philip V of Spain and Elisabeth Farnese (Parma)

Siblings King José I: Queen Barbara of Spain, Prince Pedro, Prince Carlos, King Pedro III and Prince Alexandre of Portugal

Siblings Queen Mariana Victoria: King Luis I, Prince Felipe Luis, Prince Felipe Pedro, King Fernando VI, King Carlos III and Prince Francisco of Spain, Duke Felipe of Parma, Piacenza and Guastalla, Crown Princess Maria Teresa of France, Prince Luis Antonio of Spain, Archbishop of Toledo and Queen Maria Antonieta of Sardinia

Last edited:
Joseph I (Portuguese José, pronounced [ʒuˈzɛ]), the Reformer (Port. o Reformador), 25th (or 26th according to some historians) King of the Kingdom of Portugal and Algarves, was born in Lisbon, on June 6, 1714. He was the third child of King John V of Portugal and his wife Mary Anne Josepha of Austria. Joseph had an older brother, Peter, but he died at the age of two.
At the death of his elder brother, José became Prince of Brazil as the heir-apparent of the king, and 15th Duke of Braganza.
In 1729, Joseph married a Spanish princess, Marianne Victoria of Borbón, daughter of Philip V of Spain and Elizabeth Farnese, and his elder sister Barbara married the future Ferdinand VI of Spain. Marianne loved music and hunting, but she was also a serious woman, who disliked the King's affairs and had no problems about talking about them to everybody. Joseph and Marianne had four daughters.

Joseph was devoted to the Church and the opera. He succeeded to the Portuguese throne in 1750, when he was 35 years old, and almost immediately placed effective power in the hands of Sebastião José de Carvalho e Mello, better known today as the Marquis of Pombal. Indeed the history of Joseph's reign is really that of Pombal himself. King José also declared his eldest daughter Maria Francisca as the official heiress of the throne, and proclaimed her Princess of Brazil. The king did not believe that any longer a son would be born to him.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Last edited:
Marianne Victoria of Bourbon (March 31, 1718 – January 15, 1781) (in Portuguese Mariana Vitória, in Spanish Mariana Victoria) was the eldest daughter of Philip V of Spain and Elizabeth Farnese. She was Queen Consort of Portugal and Algarves.

As a child, she was engaged to Louis XV of France, but went back to Spain to continue her education. The engagement was later broken off and she was instead engaged to the future Joseph I of Portugal.

Read the entire article here.

King José also declared his eldest daughter Maria Francisca as the official heiress of the throne, and proclaimed her Princess of Brazil. The king did not believe that any longer a son would be born to him.

Pombal disliked a lot D.Maria and her uncle-husband D.Pedro.
Not that they were particularly active but because, due to their passive resistance, they gathered around them all those who were threatened and menaced by Pombal's politics.

The dislike was mutual, specially after the barbarian and infamous process that led to the charge to death of the Duke of Aveiro and the marquess of Távora's families.

Therefore, Pombal tried to plot with the king to make a "jump" in the successional line, leaving out D.Maria and her husband - we've never had a Regnant Queen before ! - in favour of her son Prince D.José.

However tempted to follow his PM, probably due to the Queen's opposition, D.José eventually never authorized such plan and was succeeded by his eldest daughter

Under Jose I Portugal was the first Catholic kingdom to expel the Jesuits.

After the demise of her husband Jose, Queen Mariana Vitoria journeyed to Spain to visit her brother, King Carlos III.
This was their first meeting in almost fifty years.
:queen2::king::spainstandard::kingdomofportugal:

Royal feud between Maria Anna of Austria and Mariana Victoria of Bourbon

Back
Top Bottom