King D.Manuel 'The Fortunate' and Wives (Queens D.ª Isabel, D.ª Maria and D.ª Leonor)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
João III, King of Portugal and the Algarves, Lord of Guinea, Lord of the Conquest, Navigation and Commerce of Ethiopia, Arabia, Persia and India.(Alcochete, 31 May 1469 - Lisbon, 13 December 1521); married 1stly in Valencia de Alcántara, 13 September 1497, Princess Isabel of Aragon, widow of Joao's nephew Prince Alfonso of Portugal (Dueñas, 2 October 1470 — Zaragoza, 28 August 1498); married 2ndly in ?, 30 October 1500, Princess Maria of Aragon (Córdoba, 29 June 1482 - Lisbon, 7 March 1517); married 3rdly in ?, 16 July 1518, Archduchess Eleonor of Austria, Princess of Castille (Louvain, 15 November 1498 - 25 February 1558)

Reign: 1495 - 1521

Predecessor: King João II of Portugal and the Algarves

Succeeded by: King João III of Portugal and the Algarves

Child Manuel & Isabel: Prince Miguel da Paz

Children Manuel & Maria: King João III of Portugal, Queen Isabel of Spain, Holy Roman Empress; Duchess Beatrice of Savoy, Prince Luis, Duke of Beja; Prince Fernando Duke of Trancoso; Prince Alfonso, Princess Maria, King Henrique I, Prince Duarte, Duke of Guimaraes; and Prince Antonio of Portugal

Children Manuel & Eleonor: Prince Carlos and Princess Maria of Portugal

Parents Manuel I: Prince Fernando of Portugal, Duke of Viseu and Princess Beatriz of Portugal

Parents Isabel & Maria: King Ferdinand II of Aragon and Queen Isabel I of Castille

Parents Catarina: Philip of Bourgondy & Austria and King of Spain and Princess Joanna ('The Mad') of Castille & Aragon

Siblings Manuel I: PrinceJoão of Viseu, 3rd Duke of Viseu, 2nd Duke of Beja, Prince Diogo of Viseu, 4th Duke of Viseu, 3rd Duke of Beja, Prince Duarte of Viseu, Prince Dinis of Viseu, Prince Simão of Viseu, Queen Leonor of Portugal, Duchess Isabel of Braganca, Princess Catarina of Viseu

Siblings Isabel & Maria: Prince Juan of Castille, Prince of Asturias, Queen Juana I of Castille Duchess of Bourgondy etc., Queen Catherine of England

Siblings Eleonor: King Charles I/V of Spain, Holy Roman Emperor, Queen Elisabeth of Denmark, Archduke Ferdinand I of Austria, Holy Roman Emperor and Queen Mary of Hungary and Bohemia, Queen Catarina of Porugal

Last edited:
Manuel I (pronounced [mɐnuˈɛɫ]); Archaic Portuguese: Manoel I, English: Emmanuel I), the Fortunate (Port. o Venturoso), 14th king of Portugal and the Algarves (Alcochete, May 31, 1469 – December 13, 1521 in Lisbon) was the son of Infante Fernando, Duke of Viseu, by his wife, Infanta Beatriz of Portugal. His mother was the granddaughter of King John I of Portugal; his father was the second surviving son of King Edward of Portugal. Manuel succeeded his first cousin John II of Portugal, who was also his brother-in-law, in 1495.
Manuel grew up among the conspiracies of the aristocratic high nobility against king John II. He watched many people being killed and exiled. His older brother Diogo, the duke of Viseu, was murdered by the king himself. Thus, when receiving a royal order in 1493 to present himself to the king, Manuel had every reason to worry. Without reason: John II wanted to name him heir to the throne, after the death of his son, Prince Afonso, and the failed attempts to legitimise Jorge, Duke of Coimbra, his illegitimate son. As a result of this stroke of luck he was nicknamed the Fortunate.
Manuel would prove a worthy successor to John II, supporting the Portuguese exploration of the Atlantic Ocean and the development of Portuguese commerce. During his reign, the following was achieved:
  • 1498 — Vasco da Gama discovers the maritime route to India
  • 1500 — Pedro Álvares Cabral discovers Brazil
  • 1505 — Francisco de Almeida becomes the first viceroy of India
  • 1503-1515 — Afonso de Albuquerque, an admiral, secures the monopoly of the Indian ocean and Persian Gulf maritime routes for Portugal
Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Isabella of Asturias (1470 – 15 August 1498) was the Queen Consort of Portugal and the eldest daughter and heiress presumptive of King Ferdinand II of Aragon and Queen Isabella of Castile. She was the sister of Catherine of Aragon.
In 1490 Isabella married Alfonso, Crown Prince of Portugal, the heir of John II of Portugal. Though it was an arranged marriage, Isabella and Alfonso quickly fell in love, and Isabel was grief-stricken when he died in 1491: sent home to her parents by John II, she declared that she would never marry again, and would enter a convent. Her parents ignored this, and in 1497 she was married to Manuel I of Portugal, Alfonso's uncle and John II's successor.

Maria of Aragon (Mary of Aragon or Mary of Spain or even Mary of Castile) (June 29, 1482 - March 7, 1517) was an Aragonese princess, second wife of Portuguese King Manuel I and because of that queen consort of Portugal from her marriage on 30 October 1500 until her death.
She was the third surviving daughter of Isabella of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon (the Catholic monarchs). Her eldest sister Isabella of Asturias was the first wife of Manuel I, but her death in 1498 created a necessity for Manuel to remarry; Maria became the next bride of the Portuguese king.

Eleanor of Habsburg, also called Leonor of Castile or Eleanor of Austria (November 15, 1498 – February 25, 1558) was born Archduchess of Austria and Infanta of Castile, became subsequently in turn queen consort of Portugal (1518–1521) and of France, also duchess of Touraine (1547–1558) as dower. Named Leonor de Austria in Spanish, Leonor(a) in Portuguese and "royne Eleonore" or Alienor in French.
Born in Louvain as the eldest child of Philip the Handsome, archduke of Austria and Duke of Burgundy and of Joanna of Castile, Infanta of Castile and Aragon and later queen of the named countries. Her siblings were: Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire, Ferdinand I, also emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, Elisabeth queen of Denmark, Mary queen of Hungary and later regent of the Low Countries and Catherine, queen of Portugal.
When she was young, her relatives tried to marry her to the king of England (Henry VII or Henry VIII), the French king (Louis XII or Francois I) or with the Polish king (Sigismund I), but they could not. Finally they married her to Manuel I of Portugal, after the proposed marriage with her cousin the Crown Prince did not occur. They married July 16, 1518.

María Pilar Queralt del Hierro wrote a book about the wives of king Manuel I of Portugal: Isabel and Maria of Aragon (both daughters of Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabel I of Castile) and Eleonora of Austria (daughter of Philip the Handsome and Juana the Mad, thus a granddaughter of Ferdinand & Isabel):

As Mulheres de D. Manuel I - A Esfera dos Livros

Eleanor of Habsburg's brother Holy Roman Emperor Charles V arranged the marriage between Eleanor and the King of Portugal to avoid the possibility of Portuguese assistance for any rebellion in Castile.

In the marriage contract to Infanta Isabella of Spain, King Manuel I agreed to persecute the Jews of Portugal.

During the reign of King Manuel I there were major improvements in astronomy and cartography.

Death of John II of Portugal. Manuel the Fortunate is the new king ('Isabel' is a Spanish TV series):

Back
Top Bottom