King D. Luís I 'The Popular' and Queen D.ª Maria-Pia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Luíz I Filipe Maria Fernando Pedro de Alcántara António Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis João Augusto Júlio Volfando, King of Portugal and the Algarves (Lisbon, 31 October 1838-Cascais, 19 October 1889); married in Lisbon, 6 October 1862 Maria Pia Princess of Savoy (Turin, 16 Ocobert 1847-Stupinigi, 5 July 1911)

Reign: 1861 - 1889

Predecessor: King Pedro V of Portugal and the Algarves

Succeeded by: King Carlos I of Portugal and the Algarves

Children: King Carlos I of Portugal and the Algarves and Prince Alfonso of Portugal, Duke of Oporto

Parents King Luíz I: Queen Maria II da Gloria of Portugal and Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary

Parents Queen Maria Pia: King Vittorio Emmanuele II of Sardinia (later of Italy) and Archduchess Adelheid of Austria

Siblings King Luíz I: King Pedro V of Portugal and the Algarves, Princess Maria and Prince Joao (Duke of Beja) of Portugal, Queen Maria Ana of Saxony, Fuerstin Antonia of Hohenzollern, Prince Fernando, Prince Augusto (Duke of Coimbra), Prince Leopoldo, Princess Maria da Gloria and Prince Eugenio of Portugal

Siblings Queen Maria Pia: Princess Clothilde Napoleon, King Umberto I of Italy, Prince Amedeo of Italy, King of Spain and the Indies, Duke of Aosta, Prince Oddone of Italy, Duke of Montferrat, Prince Carlo Alberto of italy, Duke of Chablais and Prince of Italy, Count of Geneva

Last edited:
Luís I (pronounced [luˈiʃ]; English: Louis), whose full name was Luís Filipe Maria Fernando Pedro de Alcântara António Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis João Augusto Júlio Valfando de Saxe-Coburgo-Gotha e Bragança), the BOB (Port. o Popular) (Lisbon, October 31, 1838 – October 19, 1889 in Cascais) was the 32nd (or 33rd according to some historians) King of Portugal between 1861 and 1889. He was the second son of Maria II and Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and was created Duke of Porto and Viseu.
Luís was a cultured man who wrote vernacular poetry, but otherwise had no distinguishing gifts in the political field into which he was thrust by the deaths of his brothers Pedro V and Fernando in 1861. Luís' domestic reign was a tedious and ineffective series of transitional governments formed at various times by the Progressistas (Liberals) and the Regeneradores (Conservatives – the party generally favoured by King Luís, who secured their long term in office after 1881). Despite a flirtation with the Spanish succession prior to the Franco-Prussian War of 1870–71, Luís's reign was otherwise one of domestic stagnation as Portugal fell ever further behind the nations of western Europe in terms of public education, political stability, technological progress and economic prosperity.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

LuC3ADs_I.jpg

Last edited:
Maria Pia of Savoy (14 February 1847 - 5 July 1911) was a daughter of Victor Emmanuel II the first King of Italy by his first cousin Queen consort Adelaide of Austria. On the day of her baptism Pope Pius IX, her godfather, gave her a Golden Rose.

Maria was married to Luís I of Portugal on the 6 October 1862 in Lisbon, they had two children:
  • Carlos I of Portugal (1863-1908)
  • Infante Afonso, Duke of Porto (1865-1920).
Luís died on 19 October 1889 and Maria Pia became Queen Dowager. The Queen was devastated after the assassination of her son, King Carlos I of Portugal and grandson Luís Filipe, Duke of Braganza on 1st February 1908.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Despite having visited several times the Bragança Pantheon at São Vicente de Fora, only recently did I realized that D.Maria Pia does not lie there.

She died in Turin in exile and nobody thought of bringing her copse back as it happened to his son D.Afonso, her daughter-in-law Queen D.Amélia or her grandson D.Manuel II, not to mention D.Miguel I and Queen D.Adelaide.

There were plans to bring her back a couple of years ago, but, as always, the main problem seems to be the same : Money.

Who will pay the fee ?

I heard that a high-positioned civil servant, asked about when would the Queen return, quoted her : "Do you want a Queen ? Pay for her".

It is a shame as she was one of the most charismatic Queens and, despite being critised by her money spending - that is in the origin of her saying - she was deeply popular and loved the country and its subjects.

She was "nicknamed" Angel of Charity as when there was an earthquake in Oporto, she took the first train, even without knowing how far could she go, and left to help the needed.

There is a story saying that, when she felt death approaching, she asked that her bed would be turn facing Portugal.

Maybe at the 100th yera of her death in 2011, the Queen could return.

Has anybody visited her tomb at Basilica di Superga ?

Did you read the book already Elsa? If so, is it any good? It is about the Queen's entire life or just a certain period?

To put it gently, the book sucks.

It is a very mellow vision of a very strong minded queen.

Next year, on the 100th anniversary of the Queen's death, there ought to be published some books on her.

Eduardo Nobre has his book ready to publish.
His previous works (Casa Real, Família Real, D.Amélia) speak for him and will certainly be a must for anyone interested on D.Maria Pia or her times.

Palacio Nacional da Ajuda - her beloved home in Lisbon - announced a(nother) photo biography of the Queen .

Meanwhile, I found that interesting Forum that portuguese reading co-posters might find enlightening.

The others, don't despair. There is a vast selection of photos from the Queen, and the last post (so far) has a very amusing hymn dedicated to D.Maria Pia.

Enjoy it

Rainha D. Maria Pia (1847-1911)

Before Carlos, Prince Royal of Portugal married Princess Amelie of Orleans, his mother, Queen Maria Pia was expecting Carlos to marry the Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria, Princess Mathilde of Saxony, Princess Viktoria of Prussia, or Princess Victoria of Wales.

King Luis I spent time translating Shakespeare into Portuguese.

In 1870 King Luis I considered the idea of putting himself forward as a candidate for the vacant throne of Spain.
However he decided against it.
If he had reigned as sovereign of Spain, he would have been King Luis II.

King Luis I and Queen Maria Pia arrived at Villa Eugenia, Biarritz, France in 1865.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/929052044

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthem of King Dom Luís:

Video about Queen Maria Pia:

King D. Luís, Queen Maria Pia has Prince D. Carlos on her lap next to Princess Maria Clotilde, sister of Queen Maria Pia who has Prince Victor Bonaparte on her lap. The photo is from 1865.

Back
Top Bottom