King D. Joao I 'The Great' and Queen D.ª Filipa

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
João I, King of Portugal and the Algarves, Lord of Ceuta (Lisbon, 11 April 1357 - Lisbon,14 August 1433); married in Porto on 2 February 1387, Princess Philippa of Lancaster (Leicester Castle, 2 May 1359 - Odivelas, 19 July 1415)

Reign: 1433 - 1433

Predecessor: King Fernando I of Portugal and the Algarves (disputed: Queen Beatriz of Portugal)

Succeeded by: King Duarte I of Portugal and the Algarves

Children: Princess Branca, Prince Alfonso of Portugal and King Duarte I of Portugal, Prince Pedro of Portugal, Duke of Coimbra; Prince Henrique of Portugal, Duke of Viseu; Duchess Isabel of Burgundy Princess Branca of Portugal, Prince João of Portugal, Counstable of Portugal and Prince Fenando of Protugal 'Infante Santo'

Parents João: King Pedro I of Portugal and Teresa Lourenço

Parents Philippa: Prince John 'of Gaunt' of England, 1st Duke of Lancaster and Princess Blanche of Lancaster

Siblings João: Prince Luís of Portugal, Princess Maria of Aragon, Marchioness of Tortosa; King Fernando I of Portugal, Alfonso of Portugal, Princess Beatriz of Castille, Countess of Alburquerque and Haro; Prince João of Portugal, Lord of Porto de Mós, Ceia and Montelonso, and also Duke of Valencia de Campos; Prince Dinis of Portugal, Lord of Villar-Dompardo, Cifuentes, Escalona and Alvar de Tormes

Siblings Philippa: Prince John of Lancaster, Elizabeth, Countess Pembroke, later Duchess of Exeter, later Baroness Fanhope and Milbroke; Prince Edward ad Prince John of Lancaster, King Henry IV of England, Princess Isabel of Lancaster, Queen Katherine of Castille

Last edited:
Joao I (Portugues: João, pronounced [ʒuˈɐ̃ũ]; Lisbon, 11 April 1357 – Lisbon, 14 August 1433), called the Good (sometimes the Great) or of Happy Memory, was the tenth King of Portugal and the Algarve and the first to use the title Lord of Ceuta. He was the natural son of Pedro I by a noble Galician woman named Teresa Lourenço, daughter of Lourenço Martins, o da Praça, and wife Sancha Martins. In 1364 he was created grand-master of the Order of Aviz. He became king in 1385, after the 1383–1385 Crisis.
On the death of his lawful brother Fernando I in October 1383, without a male heir, strenuous efforts were made to secure the succession for princess Beatrice, his only daughter. As heiress-apparent Beatrice had been married to king Juan I of Castile, but the popular voice declared against an arrangement by which Portugal would virtually have become united with Castile. The 1383–1385 Crisis followed as a period of political anarchy, when no king ruled the country.
On April 6, 1385, the council of the kingdom (cortes in Portuguese) met in Coimbra and declared João, then Master of Aviz, king of Portugal. This was in effect a declaration of war against Castile and its claims to the Portuguese throne. Soon after, the king of Castile invaded Portugal, with the purpose of conquering Lisbon and removing João I from the throne. Juan I was accompanied by French allied cavalry as English troops and generals took the side of João (see Hundred years war). João I then named Nuno Alvares Pereira, his loyal and talented supporter, general and protector of the Kingdom. The invasion was repelled during the Summer after the Battle of Atoleiros, but especially after the decisive battle of Aljubarrota (August 14, 1385), where the Castilian army was virtually annihilated. Juan I of Castile then retreated and the stability of João I's throne was permanently secured.
On 11 February 1387, João I married Philippa of Lancaster, daughter of John of Gaunt who had proved to be a worthy ally, consolidating the union of the Anglo-Portuguese Alliance that endures to the present day.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Philippa of Lancaster, LG (31 March 1360 Leicester Castle – July 19, 1415 Odivelas) was an English princess, daughter of John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster (a son of Edward III of England and Philippa of Hainault) by his wife and cousin Blanche of Lancaster. Blanche was the daughter of Henry of Grosmont, 1st Duke of Lancaster and Isabel de Beaumont.
Philippa became Queen consort of Portugal through her marriage with King John I, celebrated on 11 February 1387 in the city of Porto. This marriage was the final step in the Anglo-Portuguese alliance, against the France-Castile axis. Philippa is remembered for being a generous and loving queen and for being the mother of the "Illustrious Generation" of princes.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

King João I had a mistress, a converted Jewish woman named Inês Peres Esteves. From this relationship two children were born: Alfonso, 1st Duke of Braganca (his dynasty would be the 4th and last dynasty to rule Portugal)and Countess Beatriz Arundel.

From the BBC:

In many medieval tales the handsome prince falls desperately in love with a beautiful woman, with disastrous consequences, but the story of João and Philippa is of dynastic marriage that formed a mutual bond and became the foundation of a long lasting alliance.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Childhood[/FONT]
Philippa was the eldest child of John of Gaunt and Blanche of Lancaster, and thus grand-daughter of King Edward III of England. Born on 31 March 1360, her early childhood was spent in the many palaces and castles of her famous father, now Duke of Lancaster, and the Royal Court. She had two full siblings who survived the perils of birth and childhood disease; Elizabeth, three years younger; and Henry, six years younger, who was later to depose his cousin King Richard II of England and thus gain the throne.
In September 1369 plague struck the Ducal Household, who were staying at their castle of Bolingbroke; the Duchess Blanche, famed for her beauty and grace[FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT], succumbed to the pestilence.
The wife of one of the Duke of Lancaster's Household knights, Katherine Swynford[FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT], was employed as Governess to the two girls a year later. This led to a certain amount of scandal as Katherine had become John of Gaunt's mistress after the death of Blanche.
Philippa was remarkably well educated. She had studied under the Flemish poet Froissart, the foremost chronicler of medieval courts. Another of her tutors was Friar John, a very learned man, who was a pioneer in physics and chemistry. Geoffrey Chaucer, brother-in-law to her governess, was a very firm friend of the family. Her father's confessor was the reformer John Wycliffe, Professor of Philosophy at Oxford and the first translator of the Bible into English. All these wise men ensured that the young girl was well informed, tolerant and of an inquiring mind.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Teenage Years[/FONT]
In 1371, John of Gaunt took as his second wife Constança of Castile, only six years older than his daughter. This marriage was made with a view to gaining John the crown of Castile, for Constança was the daughter of the recently deposed King Pedro of Castile. Katherine continued her duties as governess, and also as mistress, as she gave birth to a son, John, within weeks of Constança producing another half-sibling, Catalina.
On reaching sixteen Philippa was considered to have reached marriageable age and was hawked around Flanders, Hainault and Milan, but there were no takers. She was gaining a reputation as a quiet and devout young woman, of no particular beauty or talent. Prospects were fairly limited, as England was engaged in The Hundred Years War with France, and there were few royal or ducal families 'on the right side' with young sons. Being the eldest daughter, a dynastic alliance was keenly sought.
A few years later, the still single young woman, having been turned down by the Duchy of Luxembourg, was even proposed as a bride to her cousin, 9 year old Richard II. Her sister Elizabeth, now 16, had been married to the even younger John Hastings and was now Countess of Pembroke. Her brother Henry Bolingbroke, himself only 13, had been hand-fasted[FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]3[/FONT] to the heiress Mary de Bohun, aged 8.
The household was still increasing. Although Constança had had no more children, Katherine Swynford had produced two more half-brothers and a half-sister, Henry, Thomas and Joan, and her children were granted the surname Beaufort. During the intervening years no more is known of Philippa's marriage prospects.

Read the entire article here.

King D. João I Stamp

joao1.gif

I believe Queen Felipe is the only woman that is shown on the 'Padrao dos Descobrimentos' (monument for the discoveries) in Belem, right? As she was the mother of the 'golden generation' of princes.

Here a picture (by me), though I am not sure if she is on this side or the other one.

HPIM0513.jpg

Yes, D. Filipa de Lencastre is the only woman shown on Padrão. Here she is.

All this figures on the monument represents Navegators or Kings related to the Portuguese Discoveries.

The last two figures of this side of your picture are Queen Filipa de Lencastre and Infante D. Pedro.

You can see them better here

Joao I was the first King of Portugal to use the title of Lord of Ceuta.

Back
Top Bottom