King D. Afonso IV 'The Brave' and Queen D.ª Beatriz

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Pedro I, King of Portugal and the Algarves, (Lisbon, 8 February 1291 - Lisbon, 28 May 1357); married in ? on 12 September 1309, Princess Beatriz of Aragon (8 March 1293 - ?, 25 October 1359)

Reign: 1325 - 1357

Predecessor: King Dinis I of Portugal and the Algarves

Suceeded by: King Pedro I of Portugal and the Algarves

Childen: Queen Maria of Castille, Prince Alfonso, Prince Dinis of Portugal, King Pedro I, Princess Isabel, and Prince João of Portugal and Queen Leonor of Aragon

Parents Alfonso: King Dinis I of Portugal and Princess Isabel of Aragon

Parents Beatriz: King Sancho IV of Castille & Leon and María of Molina (Leon)

Siblings Alfonso: Queen Constança of Castille

Siblings Beatriz: Queen Isabel of Aragon, later Duchess of Burgundy, King Fernando IV, Prince Alfonso, Prince Enrique, Prince Pedro and Prince Felipe of Castile

Last edited:
Afonso IV (pronounced [ɐˈfõsu]; 8 February 1291 – 28 May 1357), called the Brave (Portuguese: o Bravo), was the seventh king of Portugal and the Algarve from 1325 until his death. He was the only legitimate son of Dinis of Portugal by his wife Elizabeth of Aragon.
Afonso, born in Lisbon, was his father's only legitimate son and the rightful heir to the Portuguese throne. However, he was not, according to several sources, Dinis' favourite son; his half-brother, the illegitimate Afonso Sanches, enjoyed full royal favour. From early in life, the notorious rivalry led to several outbreaks of civil war. On January 7, 1325, Afonso's father died and he became king, taking full revenge on his brother. His rival was sentenced to exile in Castile, and stripped of all the lands and fiefdoms donated by their common father. Afonso Sanches, however, did not sit still. From Castile, he orchestrated a series of attempts to usurp the crown for himself. After a few failed attempts at invasion, both brothers signed a peace treaty, arranged by the Afonso's mother Queen Elizabeth.
In 1309, Afonso IV married Infanta Beatrice of Castile, daughter of King Sancho IV of Castile by his wife Maria de Molina. The first-born of this union, Infanta Maria of Portugal, married King Alfonso XI of Castile in 1328, at the same time that Afonso IV's heir, Peter I of Portugal, was promised to another Castilian infanta, Constance of Penafiel. These arrangements were imperiled by the ill will of Alfonso XI of Castile, who was, at the time, publicly mistreating his wife. Afonso IV was not happy to see his daughter abused, and started a war against Castile. Peace arrived four years later, with the intervention of Infanta Maria herself. A peace treaty was signed in Seville in 1339 and, in the next year, Portuguese troops played an important role in the victory of the Battle of Rio Salado over the Marinid Moors in October 1340.
The last part of Afonso IV's reign is marked not by open warfare against Castile, but by political intrigue. Civil war between King Pedro of Castile and his half-brother Henry of Trastamara led to the exile of many Castilian nobles to Portugal. These immigrants immediately created a faction among the Portuguese court, aiming at privileges and power that, somehow, could compensate what they lost at home. The faction grew in power, especially after Ines de Castro, daughter of an important nobleman and maid of the Crown Princess Constance, became the lover of her lady's husband: Peter, the heir of Portugal. Afonso IV was displeased with his son's choice of lovers, and hoped that the relationship would be a futile one. Unfortunately for internal politics, it was not. Peter was openly in love with Ines, recognized all the children she bore, and, worst of all, favoured the Castilians that surrounded her. Moreover, after his wife's death in 1349, Peter refused the idea of marrying anyone other than Ines herself.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Beatrice of Castile (8 March 1293 – 25 October 1359) was the youngest daughter of Sancho IV of Castile and his Queen consort María de Molina.
On 12 September 1309, Beatrice was married to the later Afonso IV of Portugal. He was a son the only son of Denis of Portugal and Elizabeth of Aragon.

Read the entire article here.

It is unfortunate that King Alfonso XI of Castile mistreated King Afonso IV's daughter Maria.
It is unfortunate that King Afonso became angry over the mistreatment.

Back
Top Bottom