King Carlos I (1863-1908) and Queen Amelia (1865-1951)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dona Amélia - WOOK

Isabel Stilwell just published a new book (by Esfera dos Livros):
D. Amélia - A Rainha exilada que deixou o coração em Portugal.

She has not JUST published this book. This book was published an year ago and at the time she went to many TV programms to make publicity of it.
And it´s a terrible book.
Obviously she did no research, or minimal.
She repeats the legend it was Princess Clementine of Saxe-Coburg the match-maker of the wedding Amélia and Carlos, when the biographer of Clementine and letters at the Torre do Tombo prooves Clementine had nothing to do with it.

She has not JUST published this book. This book was published an year ago and at the time she went to many TV programms to make publicity of it.
Well... my post is from March 2010 ;)

And yes, everything she writes is generally mediocre.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the clip I recognise the following:

The count and countess of Paris - who seem to be the chief mourners.
Isabelle, Duchess of Guise? Or is it her daughter Anne of Aosta?
The Duke of Braganza
Princess Margherita of Aosta, now Archduchess Robert
Princess M. Cristina of Aosta, now Pss of the Two Sicilies

I do not recognise the others, but I suppose the sisters of the count of Paris should be among them. I wonder if the young boy is Prince Michel of Greece or perhaps the present Duke of Aosta.

As written in the article by Regina:

The first funeral service took place at the cathedral of St. Louis in Paris, in the presence of several members of the French and Portuguese royal families. On 26 November the Queen's body departed for Portugal. By a personal order of Salazar, Amelia received the ceremonies and honours of a reigning Queen. No one expected that so many people would be on the streets of Lisbon to follow the Queen’s last journey to her tomb. The unexpected number of people who went to São Vicente de Fora to pay their respects made the government decide to keep her body on view for thirty days instead of the initial three! Through the glass window of her coffin, it was possible to see the Queen, her hands and face as white as marble in contrast to her black dress, the same dress she was wearing on the day her husband and son were murdered. Through the years she had kept this dress, stained with their blood, to wear at her own funeral. In March 1952, she was laid to rest in a tomb which resembled the tombs of her husband and elder son. All of them were made of marble from the village at her beloved Vila Viçosa. On the sides of her tomb, the inscription says the most true thing ever written about her: "Aqui descansa em Deus, D. Amelia de Orleães e Bragança, rainha no trono na caridade e na dor”. – “Here rests in God, D. Amelia of Orléans and Bragança, Queen on the Throne, in Charity and in Pain.”

Queen Amelia of Portugal

Last edited:
Isabelle, Duchess of Guise? Or is it her daughter Anne of Aosta?
Is it possible that both of them were filmed?
The Duchess of Guise inside the Cathedral, sat near to the Countess of Paris, and the Duchess of Aosta while walking to the Royal Chapel in Dreux?

Besides, I'm curious about the dress code, as it seems that men were wearing white tie. It is the second time that I see it, the other was at the funeral of Princess Grace of Monaco in 1982. I wonder which is the reason behind it, because it isn't very common.

In these rare footage made by Júlio Worm (1874-1958) we can see king Carlos I (1890-1908) and his consort queen Amélia of Orleans in various ceremonies during the years 1902 and 1903.
- Inauguration of Afonso de Albuquerque statue at Belém district - Lisbon (1902)
- Procession of Corpus Christi (1903)
- Feast of the Sacred Heart (1903)
- Visit to the Monastery of Batalha (1903)

This film is available at the Portuguese Cinematheque (Digital Cinematheque).
https://www.facebook.com/Lisbons.Heritage/videos/956682561085380/

King Carlos I : postcard​

The bullet that killed King Carlos I also hit Crown Prince Luis Filipe. Luis died about a quarter of an hour after his father. Would he have been considered King Luis II?

Some earlier XX century footage of King Carlos I of Portugal during different official ceremonies.

The bullet that killed King Carlos I also hit Crown Prince Luis Filipe. Luis died about a quarter of an hour after his father. Would he have been considered King Luis II?
He is counted as the world's shortest reigning monarch if I recall correctly.

No. While in most monarchies he would have been king even for 20 minutes, Portugal didn't practice automatic succession. He would have had to be recognized/accepted by the Portugese parliament. He died before this could happen. He was never officially styled king. If he had, he would share the honors for the shortest reigning king, with Louis Antoine of France.

Garden Party at the Palace of Needs (1906)
https://monarquiaportuguesa.blogs.sapo.pt/garden-party-no-palacio-das-376438

Video where one can see a carriage of the Royal House carrying HM the Queen D.Amélia, the Duchess of Palmela (lady of the company of the queen) and the Prince D.Luis Filipe, during the parties of the spring also called "Battle of Flowers" held in Campo Grande in Lisbon in 1907.

Visit of the King and Queen of Portugal to Windsor Castle, 1904
https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/...sor-Castle-1904?LinkID=mp90048&role=sit&rNo=2

Edward VII's visit to the Pena Palace in April 1903
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hjiGANhb...il-1903-Visita-Eduardo-VII-antonio-novais.jpg

King D.Carlos and Queen D.Amelia visited the Azores in 1901.

Back
Top Bottom