Worst Royal Jewels 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the Swedish Cut Steel Tiara is hideous.

oh, don't get me wrong. although some of them are not my favourites and some others look just too funny or strange, i would love to have a piece of them, just because of the fact that they are royal jewels. i'm not saying they are not nice, but perhaps not as nice as they could be for the price they have. could you give us more details on those jewels, userdane? are they jewels that some other danish royal used or is it the first time they were worn? i'm not very keen on royal jewels and thought those were specially bought for mary (maybe by frederik as a present...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Carlota,:)
I don't remember having seen these jewellery by Georg Jensen before on anyone from the DRF - perhaps QMII has one of their brooches, I cannot recall. I did recognise the distinct style of that firm (you can get an impression from this link: http://www.georgjensen.com/gj/flash/home/homepage.html under heritage). I was just surprised when I saw them but thought that they were a good choice for the occasion where the 'usual' royal jewellery might have been a bit too much if Mary was the only one wearing such jewellery. And I have always admired the workmanship of the pieces made by Georg Jensen.
It could very well be either a present in connection with the birth of prince Christian - or perhaps a birthday present from Frederik; or perhaps even from the queen. I don't know if she has given her daughers-in-law presents after they have given births but it might be a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugliset Jewelry

ma
Dear Members of the List:

Oh, My God!! My God!!! My God!!!! Where did you people get those awful pitures. They are blackmail material. Whatever you do, be sure to keep them out of the hands of the republicans (note the small r, please). If they were to get their hands on them, they would have a field day. This is the worst thing for monarchy since the overthrow of the Shah.

This only goes to prove the point I de on the ruby thread-that Jewels must be handled with care, skill, discretion and taste. If not, the result is a very expensive - and you must admit- spectacular disaster. You could take a perfect blue diamond thrice the size of the origianal Cullinan and either create the most magnificent masterpiece ever seen or something that your cat left on the lawn.

Given the waste of good gold, silver, gemstones and whatnot exhibited by these awful picture, not to mention the total collapse of taste the only thing that could be done would be to go Van Cleef and Arpels one better. When they got their hands on the magnificent emeral tiara of the Empress Marie Louise, they extracted and sold off bit by bit all the emeralds and then sold the diamond studded remains of the frame to an American who in good republican fashion had the thing set with turquoise-Horrors-and then gave it to the Smithsonian. The only thing worse to a good monarchist such as mysefl-apart from the usual beheadings of course-was the time they took the mummy of Rameses II, sans case, and put it on display in the Cairo Museum.

So give me a pair of pliers, hammer, tweezers, blowtorch and whatnot. I would extract all the gemstones, melt down all the metals, burn all those ***###pictures and START OVER. Honestly, you would have thought these women would have had better sense or at least better taste.

It only goes to prove that even the most gorgeous woman in the world -and some of these creatures are Drop Dead Gorgeous-can do only so much. On even these women, the jewelry is still positively revolting. Of course on the women that are not so lovely, the stuff is so awful, so hideous that you don't even notice THEM. Or maybe they just fit right in. Rania's little emerald number gives Boucheron a really bad name. K Mart would have put the thing on dispaly for sale at Halloween and made a fortune. One would have thought it had been done for one of Sadaam's mistresses.

Sonia, poor thing, looks like she has come back for marauding the coasts and burning the monestaries in Ireland. As for Margerethe II's little Star Trek Poppy number, I can only say that I created a similar effect the time I appeared at a Halloween party clad in wig, surgical bloomers, t shirt and a basefall cap. Cheeers. Thomas Parkman

Thomas Parkman said:
... I can only say that I created a similar effect the time I appeared at a Halloween party clad in wig, surgical bloomers, t shirt and a baseball cap. Cheeers. Thomas Parkman
You can't leave this image just hanging. Do you have a photo? :)

Queen Sonja's tiaras are terrible! Especially the first one :D. Thanks for for posting the pictures Amy (last post on first page). As to Madeleine's aquamarine tiara, it's not great and is ugly compared to the fringe tiara she wears often. But if you want to get into the first-Swedish-tiara battle, Madeleine's aquamarine one trumps Victoria's first tiara. That has to be a pathetic excuse for a tiara, especially for a future Queen! There are no substantial stones and the base takes over. At least in the aquamarine one you can SEE the aquamarine and the diamonds. But King Carl Gustaf and Queen Siliva, what were you thinking?! It was their 18th birthday! :D

Last edited:
Thomas Parkman said:
Oh, My God!! My God!!! My God!!!! Where did you people get those awful pitures. They are blackmail material. Whatever you do, be sure to keep them out of the hands of the republicans (note the small r, please).
Wow! A grown-up newbie with a fantastic writing style and a sense of humour? That must be my day!
I have not meant welcome that much for a long time. :D

I like that one, remind me of a kokoshnik (my favourite design as far as tiara goes) and the style is elegant, IMO. http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=56013125&cdi=0
Well I never cared for that girdling style (just to much holes for me), but on Camilla's overtly bouffant her do, this is positively an horrifying sight.

galuhcandrakirana said:
I read somewhere that this tiara is just one part of grand tiara belong's to late queen Wilhelmina. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121415&d=1112787396, Yes it doesn't look as beautiful as other Orage dynasty's tiara, just slightly better than Princess Maxima's http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1106178683 (the shape looks like a "fake tiara accessories" for kid).

The one Mabel is wearing was made on the second frame of Queen Emma's sapphire diademe (which reminds me of a gothic cathedral). I never saw it before in this frame, and I hope I will never see it again like this either.

From Getty, the original diademe and Beatrix in London:

QBNL.jpg

Maxima wore the pointy tiara twice, which is a waste for those beautiful diamonds I thing. The could make something much better out of this and there were at least two other frames for these stones. Usually they make a necklace out of it btw, which looks better then the tiara as well.

BTW I want to add the tiara of Princess Claire to the list as well.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble finding a picture but I think Princess Maxima's all aquamarine tiara is just awful. It doesn't even seem like a tiara to me! If anybody has a picture, please post! :)

Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Oh, My God!! My God!!! My God!!!! Where did you people get those awful pitures. They are blackmail material. Whatever you do, be sure to keep them out of the hands of the republicans (note the small r, please).

You can't leave this image just hanging. Do you have a photo? Asked the noble Idriel?

What? Are you kidding. There are NO pictures of such a fiasco. You may be sure that I did not stand there like the grinning idiots appearing in some of the above photos and let them take MY picture. If there had been I would have murdered the photographer and upon seeing the reason there is not a jury in the whole state of South Carolina that would have convicted me.

As for the Duchess of Glouchester, she is wearing Queen Mary's honeycomb tiara. It is actually quite lovely. The only thing is they have changed the large central stone from a kunzite, whatever that is, to an emerald. They must have gotten some money or a gift from somewhere. The necklace is hideous. As for Camilla, poor thing, she is not Diana through no fault of her own. Again she is wearing Queen Mary's Delhi Durbar tiara, minus the Cullinan whatever (a 90 some odd carat number) and five cobochon emeralds. But it grows on you. It is actually a magnificent piece of work. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Delhi Durbar is a nice tiara in my opinion. Looks better with one of grannys chips in front though. I rather liked it on Camilla. Though I dont think that tiara would work on other occasions. It just isnt a tiara for a princess in todays age. Is it still a crown or is it open in the back.

I think Sara, Duchess of York's Tiara was pretty tacky looking, as is Sophie's. I also think Queen Sylvia's Tiara's are way too large, like the cameo one.

soCal girl said:
Yes! Thanks Maxie. I think it's just awful. It doesn't even really look like a tiara but just a bunch of light blue spikes coming out of her head.

I think the angle doesn;t favour the tiara to much. Though it is not a grand piece, on some pictures it looks quite nice. It would make a nice (and modest) first tiara for princess Catharina-Amalia (as it was for the late Queen Juliana who received the aquamarine parure for her 18th birthday).

The Dutch RF and have the tackiest collection, and the Belgian RF have the poorest collection!

Marengo said:
I think the angle doesn;t favour the tiara to much. Though it is not a grand piece, on some pictures it looks quite nice. It would make a nice (and modest) first tiara for princess Catharina-Amalia (as it was for the late Queen Juliana who received the aquamarine parure for her 18th birthday).

You're quite right about the angle, Marengo. It realy sticks out too much. It reminds me a bit of the Swedish 4 button tiara, which sticks out too (it actually looks like Mickey Mouse ears, imo). I think it would look better somewhere in Beatrix' big hairdo.

Marengo said:
The one Mabel is wearing was made on the second frame of Queen Emma's sapphire diademe (which reminds me of a gothic cathedral). I never saw it before in this frame, and I hope I will never see it again like this either.
From Getty, the original diademe and Beatrix in London:.
Thanks for the pic Morengo, I was looking for this picture. One thing I still confuse about it, Is the tiara which Mabel wore a detachable part from queen Ema's saphir tiara or they removed the stones to create a new tiara.

This is a great thread! For some reason I had in my tiny, little mind that there was no such thing as "Ugly" royal jewels!!! Boy was I wrong!:D
And I'm sorry, but Madeline's aquamarine still wins hands down for me as the ugliest. And that "thing" that QMII was wearing in that last post (#58), looked like she had some kind of growth or splotches on her head! :p

Last edited:
auntie said:
The Dutch RF and have the tackiest collection, and the Belgian RF have the poorest collection!

I agree that the Dutch RF has the tackiest collection. I don't like any of Maxima's tiaras (including the star tiara) and I think the aquamarine one is the worst. For such beautiful royal women, I hope they step up their collection. I, personally don't know much about the Belgian RF's collection but I think Mathilde's laurel leaf tiara? is alright....

soCal girl said:
I agree that the Dutch RF has the tackiest collection. I don't like any of Maxima's tiaras (including the star tiara) and I think the aquamarine one is the worst. For such beautiful royal women, I hope they step up their collection. I, personally don't know much about the Belgian RF's collection but I think Mathilde's laurel leaf tiara? is alright....

I disagree, the dutch RF has a beautiful collection of jewels, most tiara's have 'big' stones as well. The problem is that the recent changes are not very succesfull in my eyes. The pointy necklace, the star tiara and the reshaped emerald tiara (with upright pearls now) are ugly. I wonder why they changed these things as there are many other nice tiara's we scarcely see, among them Queen Anna's pearl-spike tiara, the pearl-button tiara, laurel wreath (Laurentiens wedding tiara) and the ears of wheat tiara.
I would advice to put the stars on a smaller frame and let them stand out less, so put them in closer contact with the hair, and maybe they should use all 10 of them as hairornaments (like Sissy ;)).

The belgians have a very small collection. Mathilde has only the laurel tiara, Claire has one (tiny) tiara, Astrid has one from the the Aosta family, the Queen has two (elisabeths bandeau and the diademe of the provences) and Fabiola has two as well (the tiny Wolfers tiara, which is basically a small necklace) and the lovely Coronet of Leaves she received from Franco/Spain. All the other pieces (2 grand tiaras and nice necklaces, brooches etc) were sold by Leopold and Lilian.

Last edited:
galuhcandrakirana said:
Thanks for the pic Morengo, I was looking for this picture. One thing I still confuse about it, Is the tiara which Mabel wore a detachable part from queen Ema's saphir tiara or they removed the stones to create a new tiara.

I think they detach some diamonds from this frame and put it on a second one.

the thing is ghastly indeed! Other pieces of jewelry of QE2, I am not to fond of are the Burmese Ruby Tiara and the Brazilian Aquamarine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom