Thurn und Taxis Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we need to be careful to make the distinction between royal families, like those of the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, etc (as well as their non-ruling counterparts), and noble families such as the Thurn und Taxis. Because the head of the house is the Fuerst, this makes the family a Fuerstenhaus (roughly equivalent to a princely family). Yes, they were fabulously wealthy, would have qualified as part of the Uradel (old nobility), and had landholdings in several parts of Europe, but they did not rank the same as royal families. In the Holy Roman Empire (from whence the T&T gained their monopoly), they would have ranked below the electors and many dukes. Ranking below them would be more minor princes, all comital titles, and barons.

I'm afriad that I have to disagree with some of the things that hrhcp has alluded to on the previous page. Although I commend Fuerstin Gloria's support of the arts, there is clearly a reason why her over-the-top jet-set lifestyle attracted so much attention. Even by royal standards, it was a bit excessive and shameless (part of me really loves that). I also will not make any attempt to defend the behaviour of her husband, the Fuerst Johannes, but I will say that they both shared equally in the hedonistic lifestyle. I think that Grafin Gloria gained a lot in her marriage to the aging Fuerst, and I can understand why many people would have interpreted her as a gold digger.

I personally believe that there is a sort of fall-out when royal and noble families lose their legal status as such (the "Fuerst" von Thurn und Taxis only excercises the role as Head of the House, not any sort of ruling Fuerst). Long accustomed to lavish lifestyles accompanied by duties to the state, I think that many royals and nobles sunk into very unbalanced lifestyles once they were unable to perform their socio-political duties. By unbalanced, I am referring to the fact that party princes like Johannes and Gloria in the 1980s lived in such a way that it was as if they forgot the source of their fabulous wealth--the state (and ultimately its citizens). This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest psychological problems caused by the abolition of monarchy and the noble system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince of Chota said:
party princes like Johannes and Gloria in the 1980s lived in such a way that it was as if they forgot the source of their fabulous wealth--the state (and ultimately its citizens). This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest psychological problems caused by the abolition of monarchy and the noble system.
That seems to be an unusual and provocative opinion. Thank you Chota!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the set of pictures posted by brnbg68, isn't the first picture actually Gloria in fancy dress?:confused:

joon112 said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the set of pictures posted by brnbg68, isn't the first picture actually Gloria in fancy dress?:confused:
Yes, the first pic in post #26 is Gloria. The swathes of 'pearls' are interesting. One side is ropes of pearls, the other side is ropes of diamonds. (!!)

I'm going to have to contest that. That is indeed the Archduchess Margaretha. However, the reason for the confusion is that Fuerstin Gloria wore a very similar dress with many of the same jewels for her husband's birthday costume party in 1986, and was famously photographed that way. However, the dress and the hair, while of the same period style, are different. It was the second and last time that Gloria wore the Second Empire Pearl Tiara, and she also wore the Thurn und Taxis Pearl brooch as a stomacher, securing the T&T Four Riviere Diamond Necklace on the left, and pearls on the right. I think the intention was to copy the look of the Fuerstin Margarethe. I'll see if I can get some pictures of Fuerstin Gloria in her eighteenth century costume, and post them for comparison.

Here is a photo of Gloria in her eighteenth-century costume:
http://files.tagworld.com/93ca3850a20036eb477cbf53c54105cabeec.bmp

And here is a photo of the Thurn und Taxis Four Riviere diamond necklace, which is swagged on the left side of Fuerstin Gloria's costume in the first photo (it was auctioned after Fuerst Johannes' death)
http://files.tagworld.com/6cb2f40312012f844e1789c504c7f7870631.jpeg

And here is another picture of the costume:
http://files.tagworld.com/7d12e9389245548e44038b11ec382be57884.jpeg

Note the differences in costume, especially the sleeves, which are puffy in the photo of Archduchess Margaretha (as was the style in the late nineteenth century). Fuerstin Gloria's sleeves are not, and the design of the dress is slightly simpler, although all the jewels are worn in the same way.

And here is the brooch that both Gloria and Margaretha are wearing, to which the Four Riviere necklace and pearls are attached:
http://files.tagworld.com/2a5ca7f9f453d3114a5fb1b41a6a51f0911b.jpeg

It was also part of the auctioned jewels, as well as another, very similar, diamond brooch.

Yes, I can certainly now see the difference when photos are compared. I think that Gloria bears an uncanny likeness to Margaretha in that first photograph though. What about those jewels? I'll have the tiara thanks!!!:)

I didn't know this family has lots of beautiful finest jewelleries and also castles....Some of their jewelleries far more grand than those belong to Scandinavian RF. Love the diamonds-emeralds Tiara and parurre wore by Princess Gloria http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172956&d=1122252420. I have no idea if this kind of jewellery (long necklace?)can matches with modern gala gown http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172957&d=1122252420.

MARG said:
Is this jewelery still in the family or was it sold off? :confused:

She sold quite a lot actually, at least the tiara in the second picture, of Empress Eugenie. It is displayed at the Louvre these days.

How many tiaras are still in posession of the House of Turn und Taxis?

WOW! This lady has character or what?!

Hans said:
How many tiaras are still in posession of the House of Turn und Taxis?
You may as well ask "How many tiaras does Queen Elizabeth have?" Nobody ouside a very small circle would know. :)

What a very original Lady is Gloria ! She looks so no conformist!

adelaide said:
What a very original Lady is Gloria ! She looks so no conformist!

In the 1980's she was known as Princes TNT for her wild antics at parties. But after her husband died she was brilliant at saving much of the family fortunes. Apparently there were alot of bad investments that the Prince made the last couple years of his life and her business savy really saved alot even thought she sold a lot of things. So she went from wild to respected in that regard. Robin leach of Life Styles of the Rich and Famous show loved to use her as one of his "lifestyles".

I think her style was definitely worthy of attention in her prime. Lately, though, I dunno if I'd agree. During the 90s/early 2000s she dressed more conservatively...and it worked. Every once in a while, now, she tries to get a little quirky, again...and I'm not so sure it works like it used to...hahaha

That tiara is a bit crazy...but I like it. Is the sapphire at the top perhaps the one to which she has secured pearls as a multi-strand necklace? It looks about the same size. Also, does anyone know what event this was? It seems to have been photographed better than most, and obiously it was quite a formal occasion.

As a side note, does anyone know if the small tiara (kleines diadem) of Fuerstin Margarethe was sold?

Prince of Chota said:
does anyone know what event this was? It seems to have been photographed better than most, and obiously it was quite a formal occasion.
Formal indeed. The caption says 1993, Gloria is pictured with one of the Württemberg Dukes, so the occasion is probably the pre-wedding party for the marriage of Hereditary Duke Friedrich and Princess Marie zu Wied.

Prince of Chota said:
I think her style was definitely worthy of attention in her prime. Lately, though, I dunno if I'd agree. During the 90s/early 2000s she dressed more conservatively...and it worked. Every once in a while, now, she tries to get a little quirky, again...and I'm not so sure it works like it used to...hahaha
Strange as it may seem, the former Princess TNT is now an ultra ultra conservative catholic and a personal friend of the new pope. Given the long standing on dit that she enjoys more than a friendship with Princess Borgese, I'm not sure how one reconciles the different parts of her personality? In any case, she sure has great jewelry!

Warren said:
Formal indeed. The caption says 1993, Gloria is pictured with one of the Württemberg Dukes, so the occasion is probably the pre-wedding party for the marriage of Hereditary Duke Friedrich and Princess Marie zu Wied.

It was at the pre-wedding-gala of Hereditary Prince Alois of Lichtenstein and Duchess Sophie in Navaria at Nymphenburg. The men next to her ist Duike Philipp of Württemberg, who is married to Sophie's sister Marie Caroline.

As a side note, does anyone know if the small tiara (kleines diadem) of Fuerstin Margarethe was sold?

I was surprised to see that even a conservative financially-based publication had kudos for the former "TNT."

BW Online | June 17, 2002 | Princess Gloria von Thurn und Taxis

JUNE 17, 2002 The Stars of Europe - FINANCE

Princess Gloria von Thurn und Taxis Investor, Germany

No one expected Germany's Princess Gloria von Thurn und Taxis to become a brilliant financial manager when her husband, Prince Johannes, died suddenly in 1990. The onetime waitress, who used to be known as the "punk princess" because of her wild clothes and hairstyles, was left in charge of managing a $1.4 billion inheritance for her son, Albert, who is now 18.

But Gloria rose to the challenge. She taught herself business and tax law. Then she ditched many of the late prince's financial advisers, sacked a large number of staff at her 500-room palace in Regensburg, in southern Germany, and sold heirlooms to clear $350 million in debts.

That was just the beginning. In recent years, the princess, now 42, has restructured her son's holdings, which included the family-controlled T&T Bank, a handful of Mittelstand companies, and Europe's biggest private forest. She sold off poor-performing assets, including the bank, a brewery, and investments in the financial-services industry. And she successfully floated TTL Information Technology, a family-controlled Internet-services company, on the Neuer Markt, just before the tech bubble burst.

Since then, Gloria has focused the conglomerate on real estate and forestry. She explains her investment decisions in plain terms. Asked why she chose to sell off the family silver rather than a chunk of real estate to pay her son's inheritance taxes, Gloria says: "Albert can buy a new tureen anytime he needs one, but he can hardly go out and buy a forest."

Thanks to that conservative approach, the Thurn und Taxis fortune came through the recent economic slowdown unscathed, which is more than can be said for a lot of German businesses. Analysts estimate that the family conglomerate, which lost money before Gloria took over, is now generating a return of about 10%. Not a few German bankers must be envious.
-----------------------

Her explanation for the selling of "treasure," i.e. silver and jewelry, is inspired.

If it can be found there is a auction catalog of the silver, and jewels sold. I obtained my copy through ebay. It has many wonderful photos of the jewels, alot that have been shown here, and some not.

P Gloria dose have that go get them attitude. And it is good that she took an active interest in the familles fortune and sacked all the slackers. Well Done..
Is this jewelery still in the family or was it sold off? :confused:
Great link thank you

Back
Top Bottom