The Queen Mother's Jewellery from Mrs Greville

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saragli

Heir Presumptive
City
Arctica
Country
Antarctica
I've written an article on the Greville Inheritance, I still need to edit it. There are several different pieces, and I do have some good info on the family. I'll finish the article in the next week and then you will have more info from that point on. I also have the will, which is incredibly vague.

You are missing the famous Boucheron tiara, now worn by the Duchess of Cornwall. (Sorry, I don not have a picture right away.)

Did Mrs. Greville have no family of her own to leave these jewels to?

Did Mrs. Greville have no family of her own to leave these jewels to?

The Grevilles had no children and I believe both were only children themselves so no neices, nephews. Mrs Grevelle was quite friendly with the young Duchess of York (QM) and so willed her, her jewellery. Initially her home was to go to the Yorks as well but then they succeeded to the throne and so Mrs Greville left her home to the National Trust.

All of the Queen Mother's jewellery was inherited by her daughter the Queen, this way it attracted no inheritance tax. Monarch to monarch inheritance has no inheritance tax, so the Queen actually owns the Greville jewellery (and the other QM jewellery that Camilla wears) Charles doesn't own any of it. Camilla is loaned the jewellery that the QM wore by the Queen. The Queen herself wears some pieces from her mother's collection.

The Queen herself wears some pieces from her mother's collection.

and has done for many years. The chandelier earings and the ruby cascade necklace were given to her as wedding presents by her mother.

Has the Greville ruby necklace been worn in modern times. I was so happy to see the ruby and diamond brooch at christmas this year. Cant wait for the article Janet.:)

Has the Greville ruby necklace been worn in modern times. I was so happy to see the ruby and diamond brooch at christmas this year. Cant wait for the article Janet.:)

The Greville ruby necklace has not been seen in a long time. HM used it in the early years of her reign, but I suspect it has not been seen for at least 25 years. This may well be due to the style of the necklace, which almost requires quite a low necked dress - a style HM has not favoured for some time.

The Greville ruby necklace has not been seen in a long time. HM used it in the early years of her reign, but I suspect it has not been seen for at least 25 years. This may well be due to the style of the necklace, which almost requires quite a low necked dress - a style HM has not favoured for some time.

I'd love to see Sophie wear it.

Yes, she has the coloring to wear it.

I'd love to see Sophie wear it.

I actually hope that Sophie does not get it. It is a substantial piece of jewellery, and I would like to see it remain within the "main line" of the BRF. Whilst it may not have royal provenance going back several generations, it was used extensively by HM. I think it would be wonderful if William's wife could have it.

I saw the ruby necklace at the summer opening of Buckingham Palce a few years ago and was surprised by the size of the necklace and as you mentioned it is quite long and favours a low neckline of a dress something the Queen rarely wears now due to her age. I think this necklace is most suitable to a young royal hopefully either William or Harry's future wife or either Beatrice or Eugenie

I could see Camilla wearing it, but she already has a ginormous ruby necklace as it is so I dont think she will. I dont see it leaving the mainline as it is quite a big piece so we might have to wait for a future princess.

I think you have brought up a very good example.

Whist Queen Mary can be credited with building up the royal collection of jewels during her lifetime, she was very generous in distributing the jewels to all her children (hence, the Kent's and the Gloucesters have "serious" jewels). As a result, a lot of the jewellery left the main line of the royal family, and some of it has since been sold.

I think the Queen has learned from Queen Mary's mistake, and as a result, she has been very careful in distributing jewellery outside the main line. That is why, IMO, Sarah received a new tiara and Sophie too, has not had any substantial pieces with royal provenance handed down to her. HM has generously from time to time given Sophie jewellery (eg: the ruby and diamond set, the acquamarine necklace / tiara etc). The only ones to receive serious jewellery with a historic links have been Camilla and Diana.

Last edited by a moderator:
and has done for many years. The chandelier earings and the ruby cascade necklace were given to her as wedding presents by her mother.

But the discussion was about inherited jewels, the Queen does indeed have jewels given to her by her mother during her mother's lifetime. She also inherited all her mother's jewellery upon her death, she now wears some of them pieces and others she has loaned to Camilla to wear.

I saw the ruby necklace at the summer opening of Buckingham Palce a few years ago and was surprised by the size of the necklace and as you mentioned it is quite long and favours a low neckline of a dress something the Queen rarely wears now due to her age. I think this necklace is most suitable to a young royal hopefully either William or Harry's future wife or either Beatrice or Eugenie

Well the size of the jewellery never stopped the Queen Mother and she looked fabulous in all of her jewels. I hope that Beatrice and Eugenie do not get these inherited jewels, besides meaning they will leave the main line both these young ladies would be swamped by these jewels.

Does anyone know what surrounds the emeralds in the necklace. Are they diamonds set in gold? Gold and emerald isn't a flattering combo, imo, and doesn't match with much. Maybe thats why we haven't seen it in a while. The Queen has nothing to wear it with.

Does anyone know what surrounds the emeralds in the necklace. Are they diamonds set in gold? Gold and emerald isn't a flattering combo, imo, and doesn't match with much. Maybe thats why we haven't seen it in a while.

I suspect it is diamonds surrounding the emeralds, and they are set in gold.

As to whether emeralds and diamonds set on gold are a flattering combination is one for personal choice and prevailing fashions - I have seen some lovely jewellery in that combination in the past.

Maybe thats why we haven't seen it in a while. The Queen has nothing to wear it with.

Now how likely is that? :)

HM has a vast collection of creme and / or gold coloured ball gowns that could be used, or she could just as well commission a dress to match.

My sense is that HM has decided that she is quite content with the Cambridge emeralds and the Godman necklace she has, and would rather leave these in reserve for future generations. I would love to see Camilla in these emeralds though - she has the presence to carry them off well.

These pieces certainly have a Middle Eastern flair. Personally, they are not my style at all--too much gold.
But, I would love to see HRH The Duchess of Cornwall wearing the Greville emeralds--with a tiara besides the Boucheron. That is getting quite boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a wonderful, albeit b&w, close-up of the v-shaped diamond and ruby necklace. Its such a beautiful piece of jewelry, I hope we get to see it on Kate one day soon.

ps, it takes a few seconds to upload, comes up after the black cat.

:previous:
A very beautiful necklace! Thanks Princejohnny.:flowers:

I've just got The Queen's Jewels by Leslie Fields and am loving it. I saw in the book that the necklace also has matching earrings but I do not think they have ever been worn.

Hello fellow jewel addicts,

Im trying to gather pictures of all the jewels that were part of the Greville Inheritance. Does anyone know where I can find a listing of all the jewels inherited? So far I've got...Let me if they are correct and what needs to be added. Cheers! :flowers:

Tiaras: The Honeycomb P.Anne Mystery

Necklaces: Diamond Necklace Ruby Bandeau Emerald Necklace

Earrings: Modern Chandelier Diamond Drop

Brooches: Ruby and Diamond

These are gorgeous! I love those earrings and the emerald necklace!

I wonder if anyone else, having seen photos of the Honeycomb in it's original classic setting, prefers it to the overly titivated Mighty Bouche that we see today?

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Boucheron Honeycomb Tiara

I have to admit, I would love to see Camilla wearing it in it's original incarnation, with it's almost Russian lines, along with the fabulous three string diamond necklace.

The original looks almost like a kokoshnik and it's beautiful; but I think I prefer the modified version.

I am breathless I can see myself wearing those gorgeous earrings ... and the diamond necklace .... I remain speechless ....

I am breathless I can see myself wearing those gorgeous earrings ... and the diamond necklace .... I remain speechless ....

Ths tiara is gorgeous and IMHO, perfect for Camilla. I do like the original the best though.

Back
Top Bottom