Princess Charlene Jewels 1: 2010 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Charlene has been feeling her way to "find" her niche as something other than a show pony. It is like she pared down everything, even her clothes were neutral shades and she totally eschewed jewelery and then she radically cut her "Princess" hair.

I think that was the start of of her re-inventing herself. Next came a wonderful selection of very flattering gowns and day dresses, and then the jewelery came out. She started slowly by wearing one piece at a time until such time as she was comfortable wearing "significant" jewelery, and it showed.

Today Charlene is a very different person than she was when she married Albert. I love that she has thrown herself into charity work but loathe that most of that has been totally ignored by the press. If you are part of the Monaco royal family then you are expected to look good, end of story. Charlene has changed that and we are only now catching up with what she really has been doing rather than being petulant because she didn't bling up just for us.
In an interview some time ago she mentioned having needed time to adjust to her new life; in hindsight (and imo) the jewelfree period was a sign of that not feeling at ease with her role yet (but in the case of the swedish wedding where she not only didn't wear jewelry, but also not the orders and sashes she ought to have, i still blame her advisors....someone should have guided her a lot better...)
I think her radical approach was caused by the total absence of any guiding hand. Thus we have Charlene's radical, but effective, regime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her hair is not very suited for a tiara here. It looks super random even if the tiara itself is a work of art.
It would work perfectly if she wore it as a headband or something.
On the contrary, IMO, her hair looks lovely here. It continues the look of ocean waves and is very elegant. I agree that tiaras frequently require longer hair but in this instance I believe the styling of her hair is perfect for this tiara. Possibly there I being a distinction made here between "queens" and a Princess .... I don't know, but I think she looks very lovely.

...The jewels should have first been seen on her in an official portrait...The Jewelry should be used in a dignified meaningful manner. It was not, she was draped in a sheet. She posed like a model and so the jewels gave her no air of royalty. They did nothing for her. They were props, not significant items of heritage and state.

Now I can see why Charlene never wanted to wear this tiara before. As a necklace it looks very good, but as a tiara it looks awkward and clunky. I wouldn't blame her if she hasn't worn it as much. I would still love to see her in Grace's small diamond tiara. It would look great on her.

I think she looks fantastic, not stuffy and regal.

She indeed looks fantastic and not stuffy. But regal?
Regal = stately, kingly, befitting or resembling a King or a Queen, dignified splendour, showing royal prestige. The photoshoot was everything. But it had nothing to do with being regal.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Ocean Tiara

I have mixed feelings about this tiara. I previously liked it, however as for right now I dislike it. The design is too modern for my taste. Though I do think the ocean design is intriguing, and I do love the pear shaped diamonds and the sapphires. Also the earrings are just stunning. Nevertheless, this tiara is one of my least favorites in the Grimaldi family. But I have to note that I dislike the Diamond Foam tiara much more.

Posts having no relevance to topic of the Princess of Monaco's jewellery have been edited and/or removed.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Have been browsing back in this thread a bit and just realised what a big thing it is for her to wear this tiara (even if it *is* only in a magazine)...we have been waiting since page 6 or 7 for this :)
Monaco doesn't seem to have a lot of tiara events (none?) and she probably only has this big gun ocean tiara and the petite diamond foam headpiece, so maybe she just didn't feel she had a proper chance to show it yet...

...The jewels should have first been seen on her in an official portrait...The Jewelry should be used in a dignified meaningful manner. It was not, she was draped in a sheet. She posed like a model and so the jewels gave her no air of royalty. They did nothing for her. They were props, not significant items of heritage and state.
I concur 100%. could not have said it any better.

and as a hair stylist, don't even get me started on her hair. this is a typical style that she wears this time the only difference is that they "plopped" the tiara on her top of her head to cover up the disaster that they call a style. UGH!!!!

I concur 100%. could not have said it any better.

and as a hair stylist, don't even get me started on her hair. this is a typical style that she wears this time the only difference is that they "plopped" the tiara on her top of her head to cover up the disaster that they call a style. UGH!!!!

And I agree, too! I also agree about the hairstyle, or shall I say lack thereof. Her hair was combed back to show off the tiara, and the result is weird. It would have been interesting to see her walk with the arrangement; would the tiara simply have plopped onto her face? Anything is possible in a satin sheet with a thingy on your head you never wanted to have. - Oh, the curse of having too much money and having to spend it on something for yourself - then again, you could spend it on others with far less, couldn't you?

Have been browsing back in this thread a bit and just realised what a big thing it is for her to wear this tiara (even if it *is* only in a magazine)...we have been waiting since page 6 or 7 for this :)
Monaco doesn't seem to have a lot of tiara events (none?) and she probably only has this big gun ocean tiara and the petite diamond foam headpiece, so maybe she just didn't feel she had a proper chance to show it yet...

Not a proper chance? She was the highest ranked guest at the wedding of princess Madeleine. The dress code told tiaras and sashes. But Charlene had none, like the other ladies. What could have been a more proper chance to show her tiara and respect her hosts?

Not a proper chance? She was the highest ranked guest at the wedding of princess Madeleine. The dress code told tiaras and sashes. But Charlene had none, like the other ladies. What could have been a more proper chance to show her tiara and respect her hosts?

I'm going with the assumption that she only takes her own advise (as is mentioned by some in this thread); in Monaco there are limited (none?) tiara-events so the first one she encountered was probably that wedding...
She probably didn't *get* the dress-code until she was there... so that was either a big shock to her or not, in which case she really didn't understand the social circle she married into..

I'm going with the assumption that she only takes her own advise (as is mentioned by some in this thread); in Monaco there are limited (none?) tiara-events so the first one she encountered was probably that wedding...
She probably didn't *get* the dress-code until she was there... so that was either a big shock to her or not, in which case she really didn't understand the social circle she married into..

We can be sure that the dresscode was clearly mentioned on the invitation, Charlène could have known what was expected on the wedding of Princess Madeleine. There is also staff at the palais princier knowing all finesses about ceremony and protocol, knowing what is expected and what not. At the same time, to the defence of Charlène: jewelry and orders are always optional, never an obligation. On itself Charlène did nothing wrong in Sweden.

We will have a better idea of Charlene's attitude to tiara wearing at whatever proves to be the next International Royal ceremonial "get together". Although I was disappointed that she decided against a tiara for Madeleine's wedding, I don't think it was done with a careless attitude to protocol. I tend to think she wasn't given much advice - indeed, without being too dramatic, she could have been badly advised whether deliberately or not. Apart from one noticeable occasion during the Russian tour, Charlene dresses and conducts herself well - she doesn't strike me as someone who wants to upset/defy tradition. I expect she will wear a tiara at the next event where the dress code implies this is expected.

And wear her Order of St Charles (I think I have that right) for the first time too. Like you said, instead of respecting her hosts *and* dress code, by showing up both Tiara and Order less, she instead gave off a vibe of, "Well, if I have to attend, I'll do it. I'm not happy about it though and I'll make sure everyone knows it too!!" Combine no Tiara or jewelry, no makeup and and a dark Chocolate Brown dress to a June Wedding and she got that across if that was her intention

All just IMO of course, but I finally understand what my problem is w/these photos. What was needed was a formal portrait of not just Charlene, but her and Albert together. We get a series of Portraits from the other RFs as the years go on, and I'm expecting new ones from Sweden this year now that Chris is a Member of the Family, where they're shown both Formal and not so Formal clothing.

The Formal ones are full out Official Gala "Uniform". The men in white tie or Uniform, Orders and Medals and the women in Gala Dresses, tiaras, jewels and Orders. The Not so Formal usually what we see them wear for a Daytime Engagement. *That* is how we should have seen Charlene wearing the Ocean Tiara for the first time. Not like she realized at the last second she had this photo shoot and decided to plop, and that is how it looks here, the Tiara on and let them take the first pictures that way.

And yes, I know that's not what happened, but it sure appears like it.

I don't care for it the way it's placed on Charlene's head here, so right now it's a miss for me. If she ever wears it again, which I hope, and wears it w/hair that properly shows it off and placed a wee bit further back on her head....I may change my mind. Which I hope happens, as I really do love this Tiara and the design of it.

It's just...What a shame. :(

I must be the only one who likes the way the tiara sits on Charlene's head. I think it's very flattering, if a bit unusual. :cool:

I must be the only one who likes the way the tiara sits on Charlene's head. I think it's very flattering, if a bit unusual. :cool:

Count me in on that one, Dutchessmary! :) It's really different and frames her gorgeous face well. Now if only she had worn it for Princess Madeleine's wedding or this 'debut' was with a formal portrait...

:previous: I too agree. But, she doesn't need to have her hair as high as they did for the shoot because as we have seen from Queen Maxima and the sapphire tiara, allowing space and light between the hair and the tiara frame can give an amazing result.

No, you are definitely not the only one. I love it, think it's an absolutely gorgeous and elegant way to wear it;).

I really, really, really want Princess Charlene to wear a tiara in The Netherlands during their official visit in June! In my mind both of her tiaras could use a little redemption. The Diamond Foam Tiara needs to be worn with the front actually facing forward so that we can see all of the diamonds sparkle and the Ocean Tiara needs a more appropriate, formal outing.

I really, really, really want Princess Charlene to wear a tiara in The Netherlands during their official visit in June! In my mind both of her tiaras could use a little redemption. The Diamond Foam Tiara needs to be worn with the front actually facing forward so that we can see all of the diamonds sparkle and the Ocean Tiara needs a more appropriate, formal outing.

I agree, it would be lovely if Charlene did wear a tiara in the Netherlands next month. She has spoken publicly about her good relationship with Queen Maxima, so that may help her along. That said, even if she feels she is not ready for a tiara yet, its fine. She has gradually been increasing the amount of jewellery she wears, so I would not be completely surprised if she chose to wear a tiara.

I agree, it would be lovely if Charlene did wear a tiara in the Netherlands next month. She has spoken publicly about her good relationship with Queen Maxima, so that may help her along. That said, even if she feels she is not ready for a tiara yet, its fine. She has gradually been increasing the amount of jewellery she wears, so I would not be completely surprised if she chose to wear a tiara.

Now I have this funny image in my head of Queen Maxima using the best kind of peer pressure to get Princess Charlene to wear more jewellery. lol

Last edited:
Now I have this funny image in my head of Queen Maxima using the best kind of peer pressure to get Princess Charlene to wearing more jewellery. lol

Quite funny!

Beautiful piece of jewellery. Her tastes seem very modern but she seems to be more comfortably hitting her stride which is nice to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom