The Duchess of Gloucester Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt that the children of the Duke and Duchess will be in need of extensive Gloucester jewellery collection and will probably sell off most of it in the future.

I agree. Few families need much jewellery these days, and there is a strong chance, IMO, that the Gloucester siblings will sell most of the jewellery.

I agree. Few families need much jewellery these days, and there is a strong chance, IMO, that the Gloucester siblings will sell most of the jewellery.

I would imagine so as they won't be in need of so many tiaras asides from bridal tiaras.

The Belgian royal family should buy the entire collection and solve their jewel shortage overnight LOL!The DOG's collection is huge.

The Belgian royal family should buy the entire collection and solve their jewel shortage overnight LOL!The DOG's collection is huge.

Whilst that could be a solution, the Gloucester jewels, if sold at auction, in view of their history , would be a sold at a substantial premium to the price of the stones and metals involved. I would be surprised of the Belgians (or any other royal family) would be prepared to pay for this provenance. Mathilde has done well, so far, to buy good jewellery, without much obvious provenance, at attractive prices from auctions. Long may that continue.

Whilst that could be a solution, the Gloucester jewels, if sold at auction, in view of their history , would be a sold at a substantial premium to the price of the stones and metals involved. I would be surprised of the Belgians (or any other royal family) would be prepared to pay for this provenance. Mathilde has done well, so far, to buy good jewellery, without much obvious provenance, at attractive prices from auctions. Long may that continue.

Your probably right but it would be nice if other royal families snapped up the odd piece. It is possible bearing in mind that outwith royals who else would really wear big grand jewels nowadays? I can imagine the Kent jewels will also go under the block when the time comes and some of those might emerge in Europe too in the future.

The possible sale of the Kent and Gloucester jewels would be one hell of an auction!

The possible sale of the Kent and Gloucester jewels would be one hell of an auction!

Yes, the combined collections of the 3 Kent ladies are a force to be reckoned with too!

Your probably right but it would be nice if other royal families snapped up the odd piece. It is possible bearing in mind that outwith royals who else would really wear big grand jewels nowadays? I can imagine the Kent jewels will also go under the block when the time comes and some of those might emerge in Europe too in the future.

The Duke of Kent has already made some sales of jewellery over the years. Prince Michael of Kent still has a reasonable collection, but I suspect most of that will sold by the next generation.

Is there no chance the turquoise parure might be willed back to the Crown?
Why would they 'will it back'? It would mean to alienate their own children and grandchildren from valuable heirlooms, in order to give it to some super-wealthy cousins who already have a gigantic vault full of partly un-used jewels. As much as I'd like to see these tiaras worn, I don't think that they should go to the main line for free. And let's face it: the vaults at Buckingham Palace already hold more tiaras than they choose to wear. I don't see Charles or William spending money to buy some of the Gloucester heirlooms. The best we can hope for is that the most important jewels will end up in the Victoria and Albert Museum one day.

Yes, the combined collections of the 3 Kent ladies are a force to be reckoned with too!

Include too furnishings,silverware and artwork ...that would be the mother of all auctions.

I thought that the Kents had had money troubles and had sold jewels and property to pay death duties, not that they had a vast collection of jewels

I thought that the Kents had had money troubles and had sold jewels and property to pay death duties, not that they had a vast collection of jewels

If you combined the jewels of Princess Michael, Alexandra and the Duchess of Kent then that is a substantial collection. A few years back Prince Michael, the Duke and their sister held an auction of items they had inherited from their father and which had lay languishing in a storeroom for years, unused and unwanted by any of them. It was comprised of a great many fine pieces of furniture, ornaments and silverware and I think fetched around 2 million pounds. That's before we are talking about the items from their various houses which are currently being used, so yes, those eventual auctions will be fascinating if a little sad if /when they occur.

The reality is a lot of the Duchess' tiaras are quite striking and great for big royal occasions but even for the more formal occasions her children may turn up to in the future they are rather OTT. The Iveagh tiara would be a good keeper IMO as its just diamonds that go with anything and has been used by both daughters as a wedding tiara I believe.

The reality is a lot of the Duchess' tiaras are quite striking and great for big royal occasions but even for the more formal occasions her children may turn up to in the future they are rather OTT. The Iveagh tiara would be a good keeper IMO as its just diamonds that go with anything and has been used by both daughters as a wedding tiara I believe.

The Iveagh tiara was only used by Lady Rose as Davina didn't wear one but I agree that it would be the best one to keep as an heirloom wedding tiara. I think they will also keep some smaller earrings, bracelets and brooches too, just as Lady Sarah Chatto did.

Ah thank you, I had a feeling only one of the ladies had worn a tiara for their wedding. I love the way Lady Sarah has kept meaningful but also useful items of jewellery from her mother. Being logical about it, why keep a tiara you may only wear once or twice in your lifetime over earrings, brooches or bracelets you could wear on any formal occasion.

Ah thank you, I had a feeling only one of the ladies had worn a tiara for their wedding. I love the way Lady Sarah has kept meaningful but also useful items of jewellery from her mother. Being logical about it, why keep a tiara you may only wear once or twice in your lifetime over earrings, brooches or bracelets you could wear on any formal occasion.

Exactly, pearl necklaces/chokers are also items that can practically still be worn these days, as well as rings of course, that's why I don't think everything will go from these collections. I can see the likes of Lady Gabriella and Lady Helen doing the same ie selling on grander pieces but still keeping a lot of the others. I wouldn't be surprised either if the Ogilvys keep Alexandra's tiara for future weddings and the same with Freddie and Ella Windsor with their mother's diamond fringe.

The honeysuckle tiara which is often worn by the present Duchess is also not too big and could serve well as a Wedding tiara.

I wouldn't be surprised either if the Ogilvys keep Alexandra's tiara for future weddings and the same with Freddie and Ella Windsor with their mother's diamond fringe.

The honeysuckle tiara which is often worn by the present Duchess is also not too big and could serve well as a Wedding tiara.

The decision on whether to keep a family tiara for future weddings or not will, IMO, come down to economics. If the children and grandchildren of the current generation of Gloucester's and Kent's have plenty of money, they may hold on to a tiara or two in the hope it gets used by their children on their respective weddings. Otherwise, I am sure they will be happy to part with them to provide a nest egg for future generations.

The alleged issue was just the Duke and Duchess of Kent, they sold a valuable sapphire set from Queen Mary. Plus some jewels were sold to pay off Princess Marina’s death duties. But Prince Michael has retained a good selection of jewels. The jewels were split between the siblings.

The Princely families of Monaco and Liechtenstein can easily buy them without an issue. But neither will do so especially not Liechtenstein.

The Princely families of Monaco and Liechtenstein can easily buy them without an issue. But neither will do so especially not Liechtenstein.

... and the current Princess of Monaco does not seem to have any interest in historical jewellery.

... and the current Princess of Monaco does not seem to have any interest in historical jewellery.
Well the Grimaldis don’t own much historic jewels and more importantly Charlene doesn’t really wear that much jewellery apart from modern ones or loaned ones. Plus I don’t think most of the jewels the Grimaldis own suit her. But a time will come for an auction of jewels for sale.

She is echoing her late grandmother-in-law, multiple diamond necklaces, brooch on her sash, brooches down her dress, two massive and historical bracelets. And she doesn't look like a Christmas tree! Well done! The other royal ladies should take lessons from her!!

I've never seen the diamond Cross necklace before,wonder if it belonged to her mother in law?

Brigitta has used it on and off for many years, so I presume it belonged to Princess Alice previously.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsB3h7AoxrB/?hl=en

The Duchess is a masterclass in how to wear significant jewelry without appearing ostentatious. Must be that Danish sensibility. So glad the BRF has her.

Thank you for this link. I didn't know about the Duchess's historically significant bracelet featuring William IV's miniature. Is there a better picture of this bracelet?

Back
Top Bottom