Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No The King owns the tiara since the 1970:s when her husband Count Sigvards son Count Michael sold the tiara to him. It was only borrowed to Countess Marianne for that occasion.

I have a question concerning Count Carl-Johan Bernadotte and his part of the inheritance from his mother Crown princess Margareta. We all know that his brother Sigvard inherited the above mentioned ruby tiara, Bertil got amongst other things the Laurel wreath tiara and the scarab necklace, Ingrid inherited a massive amount of jewels which is now in the hands of the Danish royal family and the current kings father Gustaf Adolf got for instance the Connaught tiara but what did Carl-Johan get? In his wife Kerstins memories she talks about how courtiers was worried that she'd get her hand on his mothers sapphires but the matter is not mentioned again in the book. Does anyone know what sapphires she writes about and was that all the jewels he inherited from his mother?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I have a question concerning Count Carl-Johan Bernadotte and his part of the inheritance from his mother Crown princess Margareta. We all know that his brother Sigvard inherited the above mentioned ruby tiara, Bertil got amongst other things the Laurel wreath tiara and the scarab necklace, Ingrid inherited a massive amount of jewels which is now in the hands of the Danish royal family and the current kings father Gustaf Adolf got for instance the Connaught tiara but what did Carl-Johan get? In his wife Kerstins memories she talks about how courtiers was worried that she'd get her hand on his mothers sapphires but the matter is not mentioned again in the book. Does anyone know what sapphires she writes about and was that all the jewels he inherited from his mother?

Have been thinking of the same thing actually. :ROFLMAO:

Count Carl-Johan may have inherited the diamond grenade brooch his mother received as a wedding present from the Grenadier Guards in 1905.

I also think that it is the bracelet tiara. A quite mysterious piece, imo. It was worn by Princesses Sybilla, Birgitta and Christina; wasn't seen since Birgitta wore it in 1979 for the Austrian State Visit. Where does it came from? Where did it go? Have we ever seen it being worn as a bracelet?

I just found this photo of the bracelet tiara also. I have found that old magazine scans are a wonderful source of jewel images.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/173529391867891417/

Count Carl-Johan may have inherited the diamond grenade brooch his mother received as a wedding present from the Grenadier Guards in 1905.

It seems that you were right. Here is a photo of Carl Johan Bernadotte with his first wife Kerstin wearing the brooch. They got married in 1946.
https://cdn1.cdnme.se/cdn/7-2/356466/images/2008/bild_452_1208438728_1823089.jpg
Kerstin had the brooch also in 1962.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040011U14207486841832862
It seems to me that Kerstin has worn the necklace also as a tiara, at the king's and Silvia's pre-wedding event.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010030011W14207511291834833

But queen Silvia wore the grenade brooch sometimes at the beginning of 80's.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

So obviously the king has bought the brooch from count Carl Johan. Or count Carl Johan has given it to queen Silvia as a gift?
And about the tiara/necklace, count Carl Johan's second wife Gunnila Bernadotte wears always her own tiara/aigrette. I haven't found a photo that she would have worn Kerstin's tiara as a necklace either.

Last edited:
There is an exhibition "Det glittrar" at the Royal Armoury from the end of November until 16th August 2015. The exhibition has jewelry related to Swedish kings and queens, princes and princesses from the 1500s until today.
Det glittrar på Livrustkammaren Popmani.se

Is it known which significant Jewels Princess Désirée and Princess Christina got from their mother Pricness Sibylla? Have often wondered about it. Princess Margaretha got the aquamarine kokoshnik tiara, Princess Birgitta the Faberge sapphire necklace and the King inherited the Cameo Parure and the Connaught tiara. But what about the other 2 sisters?

Swedish Royal Jewels of the Past

Is it known which significant Jewels Princess Désirée and Princess Christina got from their mother Pricness Sibylla? Have often wondered about it. Princess Margaretha got the aquamarine kokoshnik tiara, Princess Birgitta the Faberge sapphire necklace and the King inherited the Cameo Parure and the Connaught tiara. But what about the other 2 sisters?

Great question. I read in articles about Princess Christinas stolen jewels that some rings she had got from Princess Sibylla was among the stolen things (same article also stated that her stolen tiara was a gift from Sibylla wich is not correct). But she probably got more. She has some huge pearl chokers and earrings. Could they be from Sibylla ?

Last edited:
Great question. I read in articles about Princess Christinas stolen jewels that some rings she had got from Princess Sibylla was among the stolen things (same article also stated that her stolen tiara was a gift from Sibylla wich is not correct). But she probably got more. She has some huge pearl chokers and earrings. Could they be from Sibylla ?
I once saw an interview with Princess Birgitta where she told that some of her jewels, too, had been stolen in a burglary. She keept the grand pieces at the bank, but those stolen jewels were smaller pieces for everyday wear. She said what was especially hard was that many of the jewels came from her mother, which made the loss so much worse.

I think that all the Haga Princesses inherited smaller jewels from their mother. But when it comes to the grander jewels I don't know if Desirée and Christina got anything.

That's a stunning tiara. I just love the amethyst and gold combination.
I wonder if Countess Marianne took a leaf out of Queen Silvia's book and put a necklace on a frame. Imo it looks like it would make a great necklace. Also the linkes between the amethyst elements cry necklace to me.

Thanks, Lady Finn! So it is a convertible necklace all right. It's a pity that we don't know if this great jewel comes from her first husband or from the Prince. I think both her other tiaras come from her first husband and have no royal connection.

About the Aquamarine Kokoshnik Tiara

From a blog, royal expert and the chief editor of Kungliga magasinet (Royal Magazine) Roger Lundgren has spoken about the tiara with princess Christina. She said to Lundgren that the tiara is still owned by Princess Margaretha, it is kept at a safe place by her brother the king. So princess Christina borrows the tiara from her sister.
Diademfrågan löst Johannes Öberg

That makes perfect sense, I'm sure the King has access to very secure safes and Christina knows how important that is after her own tiara was stolen from her house. Christina's tiara was stolen so if her sister has a tiara sitting in the Palace safe that isn't being used it may as well be used by somebody.

How nice to finally see the ownership question confirmed. Yes, it makes sense that Princess Margareta keeps the parure in Sweden in her brother's vault. She does not need it at home in the UK, why risk travelling with it? The King on the other hand will have more than enough space for secure storage, and the jewels will be on hand to be worn at the big events in Sweden.

I really love to see the tiara being loaned to Princess Christina. It is too good to be kept in the vault all the time!

Wasn't it Queen Ena who let all her jewels be brought to the bedroom when she felt sick? That would be a good reason to keep the tiara with her in England, but Pss Margaretha seems to have done the sensible thing ;).

Wasn't it Queen Ena who let all her jewels be brought to the bedroom when she felt sick? That would be a good reason to keep the tiara with her in England, but Pss Margaretha seems to have done the sensible thing ;).
Haha, what a wonderfully lavish story! :p

So much for the healing qualities of precious stones!

Here is what wonders aquamarines can do: Aquamarine - Metaphysical Directory: Detailed - Information About Crystals As A Healing Tool

But back on topic: I am glad that the Princess does not take the risk of theft during traveling. It is bad enough that Princess Christina's tiara was stolen.

Most of the jewels discussed on this thread are still in use by present Bernadotte ladies.
For this reason the thread has been renamed.

Last edited:
At Princess Madeleine's Wedding Princess Margaretha did not wear her personal tiara but the fringe tiara Royal Swedish Jewels. Why ??

Bernadotte Family Jewels

At Princess Madeleine's Wedding Princess Margaretha did not wear her personal tiara but the fringe tiara Royal Swedish Jewels. Why ??

Most likely her personal choice. The Aquamarine tiara would not have matched her dress (in my opinion).

Anyway it is good to finally know who owns this tiara and why Christina has worn it recently. Great solution to keep it in Stockholm for safety reasons and to let her sister who got her tiara stolen wear it during times when Margareta has no need for it.

Last edited:
One can only speculate about her reasons. But maybe she likes some variety and does not want to always wear the same tiara? Her sisters also did not wear their own tiaras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom