Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you. maybe someone can translate what they say?

she seems to be wearing the necklace at her brothers wedding

If I understood german correctly, Birgitta tells that her mother princess Sibylla got the necklace from Birgitta's grandfather as 40th birthday gift. And now they were on Birgitta, but Sibylla had ordered in her will, that they will go to Birgitta's daughter from Birgitta. So Birgitta can not decide otherwise in her will.

It's a pity that there isn't a good photo of Birgitta with this necklace (at least I haven't found one yet), but there isn't so much photos of her and Birgitta often wears just a cross pendant.

Last edited:
Originally List Posted by Rascal

This is a copy of a post from Queen Silvia's jewelry thread, part 2. I believe it belongs here but I am posting in both just in case. Perhaps the moderators can decide and shift them for me?

Now that the Swedish wedding has come and gone...and with the discussions of late about the Swedish Royal Jewelry (I'll still be posting other questions), information about who has worn what items in the Swedish collection has changed and needs an update. I've tried to limit it to people with supporting photographic or portrait evidence of the pieces in question as some painters in the 18th and early 19th centuries used artistic license and some of the depictions are questionable. Here is what I can come up with - feel free to add or correct as needed:

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only (thank goodness!) by CP Victoria

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)

4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria, Margaretha

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure:
Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara), Madeleine (w tiara)

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler, Christina

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it ), Silvia, CP Victoria also worn the necklace 2013

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria

Leuchtenberg Parure:
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Tiara:
Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria (pendants as necklace only). Birgitta

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (now owned by Christina):
Christina

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara (now owned by Desiree):
Louise, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian, Victoria (owner)

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian (given to silvia who has yet to be worn)

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine

Small cut steel tiara
Victoria

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together.

Last edited:
:ohmy:The workmanship is just unbelieveable, what a wonderful set to have on hand to wear.

:ohmy:The workmanship is just unbelieveable, what a wonderful set to have on hand to wear.
Unfortunately it is not on hand to wear, it was long ago given to a museum. But I love to imagine Queen Silvia with it, it would be spectacular.

Unfortunately it is not on hand to wear, it was long ago given to a museum. But I love to imagine Queen Silvia with it, it would be spectacular.

Tilia:
Thank you for telling me that as I didn't know. I though Queen Silva had it and never wore it. Your right, with her dark hair, it would be just beautiful on her. She is a lovely woman and wears her jewels quite nicely. :)

And there is the lava parure that ended up in denmark
Josefine:
Do you know which of the royal ladies has this parure? I don't recall seeing it......I love the lavender color and also the deep amythest color. Being a February baby, I so love purple in all shades.:)

Josefine:
Do you know which of the royal ladies has this parure? I don't recall seeing it......I love the lavender color and also the deep amythest color. Being a February baby, I so love purple in all shades.:)

I may be wrong but I think its owner is Countess Ruth af Rosenborg?

Josefine:
The last known wearer was Countess Desiree of Rosenborg, daughter of Countess Ruth. But she wasn't seen with it for several years now. At the 70th birthday gala for Queen Margrethe II she only wore some diamond brooches in the hair and no tiara.

The tiara had not been spotted at an auction. But maybe it had been sold privately? And does privatly mean that they had offered it to their cousin the Queen? Did the Queen wait to wear the tiara out of respect to the late Countess Ruth?

Margrethe II famously once said "We don't count the carats, we count the centuries." And the history of this tiara might have aroused her interest more than the garnet kokoshnik which the Rosenborgs auctioned because the Queen was not interested in buying it. Or did the King of Sweden buy it? Or am I speculating way to much here:cool:? It might still be with one of the children of the late Countess Ruth.

The last known wearer was Countess Desiree of Rosenborg, daughter of Countess Ruth. But she wasn't seen with it for several years now. At the 70th birthday gala for Queen Margrethe II she only wore some diamond brooches in the hair and no tiara.

The tiara had not been spotted at an auction. But maybe it had been sold privately? And does privatly mean that they had offered it to their cousin the Queen? Did the Queen wait to wear the tiara out of respect to the late Countess Ruth?

Margrethe II famously once said "We don't count the carats, we count the centuries." And the history of this tiara might have aroused her interest more than the garnet kokoshnik which the Rosenborgs auctioned because the Queen was not interested in buying it. Or did the King of Sweden buy it? Or am I speculating way to much here:cool:? It might still be with one of the children of the late Countess Ruth.

I think the lavender must be quite beautiful, I would love to see it one some royal ladies head with a matching gown.......sad to keep such wonderful jewels hidden away and not used. If I had a tiara, I might even use it to vacumn and do dishes and run the washer.......lolololo, the pleasure of just wearing it would be so thrilling.

Also, is anyone able to identify which tiara Christina is wearing? It looks to small to be the bracelet tiara.
212178.jpg

Also, is anyone able to identify which tiara Christina is wearing? It looks to small to be the bracelet tiara.
212178.jpg

I don't know about the tiara but that's Princess Desirée not Princess Christina.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I don't know about the tiara but that's Princess Desirée not Princess Christina.

Okay- I was just going by the caption on the photo :)

Okay- I was just going by the caption on the photo :)

No worries and I must apologise since you where right. That is PC. I'll have to put the blame on my long night shift at work or something :)

212178.jpg
I also think that it is the bracelet tiara. A quite mysterious piece, imo. It was worn by Princesses Sybilla, Birgitta and Christina; wasn't seen since Birgitta wore it in 1979 for the Austrian State Visit. Where does it came from? Where did it go? Have we ever seen it being worn as a bracelet?

:previous:It's difficult to say. The quality of the picture does not allow for a definitive answer, imo. But I still think that it is the meander bracelet tiara. To me the jewel seems wider than a mere riviere. And when I blow up the size, it seems that is the same spacing as in the meander bracelet.

Last edited:
:previous:Very sad, it has history and is a family piece, I sure hope someone in the family buys it and puts in the family foundation and it can stay there.

Swedish Royal Jewels of the Past

:previous:Very sad, it has history and is a family piece, I sure hope someone in the family buys it and puts in the family foundation and it can stay there.

Queen Silvia could definitely carry those pearls and so could princess Christina but Crown princess Victoria doesn't seem that interested in wearing big pieces of jewellery.
When she does wear big pieces it's most often seem to be colourful costume jewellery like on the Gaygala last year.

Queen Silvia could definitely carry those pearls and so could princess Christina but Crown princess Victoria doesn't seem that interested in wearing big pieces of jewellery.
When she does wear big pieces it's most often seem to be colourful costume jewellery like on the Gaygala last year.

There hasn't been so many occasions to use big jewellery, but during the last 2 years Victoria has had these, and I think that she wears big jewellery well.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Queen Josefinas pearlnecklace up for sale
Magnificent Jewels | Sotheby's

arthur posted this at Royal Jewels of the World Message Board
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Queen Josefina of Sweden's pearl necklace to be sold at auction

there are some post about this necklace at
thought it would be fun the read them again
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/swedish-royal-jewels-of-the-past-515-9.html

Its really beautiful,do we know who currently owns it and is selling it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom