Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Josefine, I cannot get the link to work~

here you go this may work better
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1702/sc222057.jpg

i think we have talked about this photo before but i forgot about it

i were looking throgh the thread and thought about post 4 with photos of queen lovisa there is a brosch holdning up her sach is this the brosch worn today by victoria and madeleine?

Last edited:
I would like to know more about five tiaras worn by Swedish Royal Ladies today...
did you find an answear if Prince Carl-Johan got a tiara from his mother and if it were the saphire tiara Kerstin Bernadotte talked about

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Rascal you are a gem for posting the screen cap of the Lava set. I tried but couldn't get it to work for me.

did you find an answear if Prince Carl-Johan got a tiara from his mother and if it were the saphire tiara Kerstin Bernadotte talked about
I have never heard about this sapphire tiara which Prince Carl Johann might have had from CP Margret. It’s definitely not the tiara which Countess Gunnilla wears. Her small pearl tiara comes from her own family, the Wachtmeister family. Maybe the sapphire tiara has been sold?
But it makes sense that Margaret left at least one tiara to each of her children. Ingrid even got two: the Cartier tiara and the turquoise bandeau. And she also got two other Swedish tiaras: the Baden palmette of Queen Victoria and the star tiara of Queen Sophia.

:previous: And also Gustav Adolf: the aquamarine tiara and the Connaught . But I guess it made sense back then that the next king and the only daughter were supposed to take a larger share;)

Some time ago I was looking in a new biography of princess Sibylla and there was a portrait of her wearing a rather broad bracelet with two oval gems set somewhat apart and diagonally so it almost made a heart. I think there might have been crowned by a crown or something else made of small diamonds. I am sorry that my description is bad, but I have not got a photograph and the picture was in black and white. Well a little while later a saw some pictures from the wedding of the crown princess and it looked as if princess Birgitta was wearing this bracelet. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any detailed picture.

Does anyone of you know something of this bracelet or have good pictures of it?

Are the gems sapphires? And if so was it a part of Sibylla's sapphire wedding gift?

here a photo of queen lovisa of sweden with a lovely broosch

http://bakomkulisserna.svenskdam.se/files/2012/01/lovisaavnederländerna.jpg
Thank you very much for posting this interesting portrait, Josefine!
The brooch worn by Queen Lovisa with its very large central pearl was worn by Queen Silvia, but only very rarely.
Most notably for Queen Elizabeth’s state visit in 1983 and as necklace pendant at the first gala dinner ever attended by Prince Daniel, during the engagement period in 2009 – see the pics below.
Göran Alm says in his book about the Bernadotte jewels that none of Queen Lovisa’s jewels have remained in the collection, so I wonder if this brooch belonged to Queen Josefina first or if he’s simply wrong.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

:previous: Hi, Boris and Josefine. Regarding the pearl brooch in the image posted by Josefine...I thought this was the brooch that had belonged to Grand Duchess Luise of Baden, inherited and worn by Queen Viktoria also in a portrait, and later worn by Queens Louise & Silvia. As there are both portraits and photographs of GD Luise wearing this type of brooch (which was undoubtedly common during the time of its design) I was wondering if perhaps this piece on Queen Lovisa is a different brooch than Silvia has worn and if some sort of reference for it has appeared anywhere to cite its provenance. To me the one in the photographs of GD Luise more closely resembles the size and pendant shape of the one we know has been worn by Queen Silvia. The one in the portrait of Queen Lovisa appears to have a more tear-drop shaped pendant while the one Silvia wore has a more pear-shaped pendant - which more closely resembles the Baden one. Thoughts?

Rascal, which one is the one you refer to as the Baden brooch?
Perhaps you could post the link to a pic in order to clarify as there are several diamond and pearl brooches in the collection which go back to Viktoria von Baden.

...I was looking in a new biography of princess Sibylla and there was a portrait of her wearing a rather broad bracelet...Unfortunately I have not been able to find any detailed picture...
Ingrid Cecilia, on the royal-magazin site I have read about a bracelet that matches with description - a sapphire and diamond bracelet with a crown, which was a wedding gift to the Duchess of Albany, Sibylla's grandmother from her bridemaids and ended up with Sibylla. There's a photo there of Sibylla wearing her grandmothers bracelet, I hope you can tell if you have seen that bracelet or something else similar in design Princess Sibylla of Sweden | Romanov Sapphires Necklace

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Snowflower. That was the bracelet I meant. The article said it was inherited by Margareta so if anyone has got a close up of Birgitta's bracelet at Victoria's wedding I would be grateful.

At the wedding Margaretha seems to be wearing an aquamarine bracelet.

Well, I am still curious about what jewellery the other daughters inherited. To me it seems like Birgitta and Margaretha got the best bits.

Hi, Boris. In the photo of Queen Louise in post #254 by Josefine, the brooch she is wearing IMO looks different in both the main element and pendant than the portrait of Queen Lovisa. The main element on the photograph appears to have a larger central pearl than the portrait. In addition, the portrait appears to have two distinct rows of diamonds surrounding the central pearl whereas the brooch in the photo of Louise the diamonds don't appear to have two defined rows of diamonds. Also the pendant on Louise is the one I described as "pear-shaped" which is shorter/more squat than the one on Lovisa in the portrait. Of course, this could just be the artist's interpretation in the painting and they could be the same. But to my eye the one in the portrait appears to be different and not seen on any women in the Swedish house since. Perhaps it went to Denmark with "Swan"? Josefine's photo of Queen Louise looks most similar to the one which has been been worn a few times by Silvia. BTW, did Silvia wear this brooch (without the pendant) to an opening of parliament in the early 1980s? I think I saw a photo somewhere but it was not close up. Will try to locate it and post.

Rascal

According to this blog of Jenny Alexandersson of Aftonbladet and norwegian royal expert Kjell Arne Totland someone in the swedish royal family has bought back the tiara of Estelle Bernadotte (the tiara once belonged to queen Sophia).
Prinsessan Estelles finaste födelsegåva? uppdaterad! « Hovbloggen
Google translation

That's great news! :flowers: Can anyone dig up a better picture of this tiara and what can you tell me about the history of the piece? I'm also hoping Princess Estelle will receive a star tiara some day. Am I right that there are no such left in SWF? They need to find one but no hurry, they have at least 20 years to go before she needs one. :)

Edit: I found some more info on this tiara. Here are some pictures of Countess Estelle Bernadotte wearing the parure (please tell me they bought the whole set..? )

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/768/screenshot222e.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/sabbatical_album/scan0029.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/sabbatical_album/dsweestellebenadotte.jpg

http://joberg.blogg.se/images/2012/007_190957119.jpg

Not sure what the stones are and what colour they are. According to the article they are sapphires (blue?) but I've also heard pink tourmalines and diamonds mentioned. I sure wouldn't complain if they were pink tourmalines, what a magnificent set!

I could only find a painting of Queen Sofia wearing the tiara:

http://home.swipnet.se/uz/annastina/uppsats-filer/image005.jpg

Last edited:
Another painting/drawing of Queen Sofia of Sweden and Norway ca. 1873 wearing the tiara.

http://www.gogmsite.net/_Media/ca_1873_queen_sofia_of_swed.jpg

Imagine if the stones are pink tourmalines or topazes? The tiara would look absolutely beautiful with these set of jewels (if the rest of the parure hasn't been bought):

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad18/Royalunipics/Blog/swedistopazparure1.png

I wish we had a colour photo of the tiara and I really wish it has been bought for the use of Victoria and her daughter.

Last edited:
I hope that it's true and not just a rumour! I have long thought that this gorgeous historic parure should be bought back by the main line of the family. But I don't want to wait till Estelle is old enough to wear it. Imo, Silvia and Victoria should break it in soon!!!

Love Countess Estelle's tiara, would love to see it upon the head of the modern day Sweadish Royal Ladies sometime....one can only hope!

that woukd be big, but will it take 18 years beofre we will see this item

What a stunning tiara! I hope the article is accurate and the tiara is indeed part of the Swedish Royal Jewels again.

Well, if it is true it is probably a present to the crown princess for having given birth to an heir. Mette-Marit received the amethyst parure when Ingrid Alexandra was born. I have been surprised that we have not seen any new important jewellery after the wedding because I though she would receive at least something. I actually think princess Madeleine would look better in the gold and pale pink, but I will be glad to see it.

i would love to see it in colour i have anly seen it in black and white photos

if its true its for me huge
maybe even bigger then the greek tiara

The colored stones in the tiara are pink tourmalines indeed.
Queen Sofia of Sweden (née von Nassau) wore this tiara at her coronation as Queen of Norway in 1873.

The Norwegian royal reporter who is the original source of the story is usually reliable, and the fact that King Carl Gustaf has already bought back other jewels from the past (the ruby tiara, most likely the diamond earrings worn by CP Victoria for her pre-wedding festivities, possibly the aquamarine tiara) might add additional weight to the story, which I too hope to be true.

Last edited:
Totland says he doesn´t know the the tiara was bought back to the swedish royal family. He thinks the buyer might be king Carl Gustaf.
Kungahuset köpte tillbaka Estelle Bernadottes diadem | Babylyckan | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
You mean to say that Totland stated that he does know that Queen Sofia's tiara was bought back.
It would indeed be fantastic, and even more so if a few of the matching pieces with pink tourmalines were bought back as well to re-create a full parure.

I meant to say that Totland doesn´t know where the member of the swedish royal family bought the tiara. Sometimes fingers don´t go to right keys...

The colored stones in the tiara are pink tourmalines indeed.
Queen Sofia of Sweden (née von Nassau) wore this tiara at her coronation as Queen of Norway in 1873.

The Norwegian royal reporter who is the original source of the story is usually reliable, and the fact that King Carl Gustaf has already bought back other jewels from the past (the ruby tiara, most likely the diamond earrings worn by CP Victoria for her pre-wedding festivities, possibly the aquamarine tiara) might add additional weight to the story, which I too hope to be true.
It really seems that King Carl Gustaf has an interest in buying back important family jewels.
But I'm not sure that there really is a connection with Princess Estelle's birth. I'm sure that the parure's connection with Queen Sophie matters most to the King, whereas the connection with Countess Estelle and the birth of the new Princess might be a mere coincidence.
Imo, Queen Silvia deserves to wear it first. Afterall she stuck to the during some difficult times lately. The pink tourmalines would make excellent Nobel jewels, wouldn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom