The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Gentry

Thank you Boris for the answer and photos!! :) Could it be that the forth row of the cameopiece is used in the necklace with the bigger "tiara"-pearls?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahkoo View Post
Thank you Boris for the answer and photos!! :) Could it be that the forth row of the cameopiece is used in the necklace with the bigger "tiara"-pearls?
No, I really don't think so. The pearls in Countess Gerty's necklace look bigger than the ones from the 'missing' row in the cameo necklace.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post

Regarding the pearls which could alternately be used instead of the sapphires in the Leuchtenberg tiara:
Unfortunately, the pearls left the main Bernadotte family line and were inherited by the former Prince Carl, later Count of Wisborg.
One of the most simple and most effective additions to the Bernadotte collection could be the acquisition of eleven drop pearls to (re-)create a fabulous diamond and pearl tiara.
Supposedly, Countess Gerty Bernadotte av Wisborg, second wife of Carl Bernadotte, is wearing some of the large pearls from the tiara as necklace pendants in this photo:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/383...nafwisborg.png
The necklace worn by Gerty Bernadotte looks like the one worn by Queen Josefina...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...edenNorway.jpg

Josefina in diamond and pearl tiara (maybe the Leuchtenberg one??? hard to see)http://www.dagensvisa.com/minata/joseph_9.jpg

Some other Josefina pics: http://www.historiesajten.se/fotobig/240.jpg
http://lotta.svenskdam.se/files/2010...fineBrosch.jpg
http://asa.svenskdam.se/files/2009/08/josefina.jpg
http://www.nationalmuseum.se/Global/...st/Grh4355.jpg
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Josefina in diamond and pearl tiara (maybe the Leuchtenberg one??? hard to see)http://www.dagensvisa.com/minata/joseph_9.jpg
Yes, that's the Leuchtenberg tiara with the upstanding pearl spikes instead of the sapphires.
If you look very closely at HQ pics of the Leuchtenberg tiara, you can see that the sapphires actually protrude a bit and cover a fraction of the diamond swirl motifs underneath to the left and right, while the pearls would sit a bit lower, rise directly from the swirl motif and be framed by it.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Aristocracy

Boris (or another kind poster), do you have a photo of Princess Sibylla wearing the entire Cameo parure? So far I've only seen her with the tiara and her necklace of large pearls.

Bobby
Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Nobility

Hi, Bobby. It's not the greatest picture but is the only one I have seen other than the one you mentioned. I think this comes from King Gustav V's 90th bday or Ingrid's pre-wedding concert.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Hope it helps!
Rascal
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
here is crown princess victoria later queen victoria with the baden fringe tiara
does anyone know if there is more photos of victoria wearing this tiara?
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8...ldiadem100.jpg
Hi, Josefine. Tried to do this the other day but was having imageshack problems. I have only two other images of Queen Victoria wearing this tiara. One is a photograph and one is a painted image which looks to be from a brooch or smaller frame but I could be wrong. As she is wearing the same clothing and set of jewels as in the one you posted, I am assuming they are from the same sitting, with the portrait being painted later, possibly from a photograph. Anyway, here is the link:

Old 01-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you very much, Rascal, for the photo! I checked a group photo from Princess Ingrid and Crown Prince Frederik's pre-wedding and that's indded the occasion from your photo.

Regards,
Bobby
Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Nobility

While I'm back on the Baden Fringe....and a gift!

Does anyone have a clear picture of Princess Desiree during the pre-wedding festivities and/or concert of Carl Gustaf & Silvia in 1976? It doesn't have to be particularly large (although that would be nice ) but the only photo I have seen was taken inside the concert house from far away and it is very difficult to see her. I've tried searching every way I know and no luck. Hopefully someone else has one from another source. Thanks in advance!

Rascal

And since I am here maybe some others have been frustrated with the lack of a good quality photo of the Baden Fringe Tiara on its own as we who research jewelry like a nice studio shot of the tiara by itself LOLOL.
While creating my previously posted collage of all the known wearers, I made a better "cut-out" of the tiara which has more detail. It is a little large, but one of the things I noticed only after separating it from the original picture (where it was worn by CP Victoria) is that the larger spikes, which have to be stationary (or they would flop all the way forward), seem to be positioned a little forward with the smaller spikes in between positioned to the back a little. I never noticed it before. I bet it looks really interesting in person and makes me wonder what the frame itself looks like without the diamonds/spikes. Here is the "cut-out":

Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, Rascal!
The smaller spikes in the Baden Fringe Tiara are indeed set back slightly, which I guess also results in a maximum sparkle as they should always reflect the light at a slightly different angle than the large spikes.

The most puzzling detail about the tiara though is one you must have noticed too when creating the crop out:
At the bottom, just above the velvet base, is a row of tiny eyelets or hooks going all the way around the tiara, in black (metal?), apparently movable, sometimes resting on the outside, sometimes the inside if the tiara, sometimes standing up (like the ones visible in Rascal's pic), others hanging down.
They don't seem to have any function but are rather in the way, they're not used to secure the tiara in the hair but simply hanging there. I've always wondered if they might actually eyelets used to sew the tiara temporarily on a dress as a corsage like Queen Viktoria did? In this case, they are perhaps retained for reasons of preservation of the tiara in its original state.
In the cropped pic from Rascal, some of them are clearly visible, for example at the bottom on the left side.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Nobility

Hi, Boris. I always assumed that this fringe tiara was one of the "kokoshnik" family of tiaras, and as such would have been worn or was intended to be worn attached to the front of the fabric covered Russian headpieces worn by many of the Romanov ladies. And since the bottom of those headresses would look strange/unfinished if the fringe tiara was just stuck on them, I assumed these eyelet loops were used to attach either a necklace (probably diamond or pearl) or some fabric border matching the color of the headpiece to give it a clean, finished appearance. Who knows? Wouldn't it be great to actually have access to some of the people involved with the piece originally to find out more about it, also with other jewels? Maybe we need to have Whoopi Goldberg whip up a seance for us a la "Ghost"!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Gentry

Hi fellow members. Today I saw on wikipedia that the ruby tiara worne by the Queen can be convertet to a necklace aslo and that it has been worne like a necklace by Marianne Bernadotte af Wisborg once. This is the first time I see this information, is there anybody that can confirm it? Would be intresting to see how the pice looks one the neck
Old 01-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, CP Margaret's ruby tiara - wedding gift from King Edward VII - can be converted to be worn as a necklace.
Queen Silvia has only worn it once as a necklace in public, during the state visit from Queen Beatrix to Sweden in 1987.
Here's a picture from that occasion:

Scanpix | Forhåndsvisning
Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Courtier

^ I think the ruby tiara looks better as a tiara. It seems big and clunky as a necklace. I'm surprised no one wears it anymore, it's absolutely beautiful.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

It makes a rather awkward tiara as well, though I agree and think its a beautiful piece of jewelry. Its just proving rather difficult to wear in a contemporary setting, plus there was the whole ownership fiasco.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Serene Highness

I've heard of the whole issue of the ownership if this piece, does that mean it's not in the Bernadotte Foundation? If it is then the ownership couldn't of been disputed I would think. Are there any other major pieces not in the foundation?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I'm surprised no one wears it anymore, it's absolutely beautiful.
No one wearing it...?
After wearing it as a necklace once in '87 and as a tiara for the first time at the wedding of Prince Joachim of Denmark with Alexandra Manley in 1995, Queen Silvia left it in the vaults (most likely due to press coverage of the 'ownership dispute') until a state visit to Japan in 2006, but she has been wearing it regularly ever since.
Quote:
I've heard of the whole issue of the ownership if this piece, does that mean it's not in the Bernadotte Foundation?
The ruby tiara was reportedly made part of the Foundation after King Carl Gustaf bought it back from Prince Sigvard's son.
Quote:
Are there any other major pieces not in the foundation?
Hard to tell regarding several pieces, since it's not quite clear which ones have been made part of it during the present King's reign.
The question is particularly interesting regarding the jewelry he inherited from his mother Princess Sibylla. The Connaught diamond tiara for example appears to be his private property, and the complete cameo parure might be as well.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks Boris! If the connaught tiara isn't in the foundation, I sure hope it finds it way in soon, or at least given to Victoria then she makes it part of the foundation. I would hate for such a beautiful piece to be lost from the main line.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps you will be able to answer this question Boris, if Sweden were to become a republic, what would happen to the jewels in the Foundation? Wld they be considered private property of who ever was monarch at the time?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am fairly certain that the contents of the Bernadotte Foundations would be considered private property of the person who happens to be the monarch.
As a matter of fact, most trusts and foundations hold its contents for their personal owner who, depending on the trust's stipulations, might not be able to sell them or give them away but of course continues to own them.
It's a popular misconception that all these foundations hold their contents for the state or the nation to take over in case a monarchy would be abolished. Their purpose is mainly to save property tax, make the maintenance tax-deductible, and secure that a collection is kept together.
But a trust can also be broken and re-assembled after the sale of some of its contents - see Luxembourg for example where large parts of real estate from the foundation were sold.
By the way, there is not just one Bernadotte Foundation but a complicated network of several trusts which hold not only jewelry but also artwork, real estate, furniture, collections of other antiques, etcetera.

Tags
jewellery, past, royal, sweden