Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Majesty

i found a blog post about the nine prog tiara
Trond Norén Isaksen: Royal jewels: Queen Sophia’s tiara

Old 12-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Nobility

Experimenting

Hello, any and all. Just trying re-start some creativity...not that great yet but took a stab at this. I hope it works:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

***Moderators - regarding copyrights, I am unfamiliar if this violates regulations. If so, please delete this post as I do not intend to do so and will refrain from continuing in this if necessary.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Photos stored in one of the image-hosting sites (ImageShack, Photobucket etc) and linked to the Forums by url do NOT place the Forums in breach of copyright law as the images are not hosted on our servers.

In the unlikely event that a copyright issue were to arise in such a case, it would only concern the copyright holder and the image-hosting site.

I'll add that with collages (eg "Baden Fringe Tiara"), each component is a cropped portion from a much larger image. If the collage was directly-posted to the Forums (and in the absence of any identifying watermarks) it would be a hard task for a photo agency to claim copyright ownership of any one component.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Finally a photo of Silvia in the Baden Fringe! I had always assumed that she never infact wore that tiara. Lovely collage Rascal
Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Finally a photo of Silvia in the Baden Fringe! I had always assumed that she never infact wore that tiara. Lovely collage Rascal
Yes, although we never see it on her anymore, Silvia wore the tiara several times when she was younger and as recently as 2001 during the state visit to Russia. Sometimes it looks okay on her but IMHO Victoria pulls it off better.

As far as the tiara, I think it is one of the best because of the severe angles on the spikes, the prominent graduation from the central spike to the ends, and the use of smaller spikes rather than stacks of round diamonds between the larger spikes (like so many others) - all serve to distinguish this one among the fringe tiaras to me.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

While the Baden Fringe was certainly not a favorite of Queen Silvia - Princess Lilian used to wear it more often -, she did wear it regularly until 2001.
In contrast to CP Victoria, who wears the tiara more like a halo framing the whole face, Queen Silvia always wore it in a more horizontal line like her other tiaras, which made the front spikes stand a little at an angle to the outside, but resulted in a beautiful shape blending with the outline of her up-dos.
Here she wears it on a state visit to Canada in 1988:
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8...lviacanada.jpg

Personally, I'm not a great admirer of spiked tiaras, but I agree with Rascal that this is one of the most best designs around (along with the one worn by Princess Michael of Kent, IMO).
That's a beautiful composite you have created, Rascal - congratulations!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the compliment, Boris. It was just a first step in attempting some things. Hopefully more will follow...LOL.

But you're right about the positioning of the tiaras. In fact, sometimes I've read comments where people don't like a particular tiara and I often think it has to do with the hairstyle AND the positioning of the piece rather than the actual tiara itself. Some tiaras seem to do better when wore very high on the head, others more tilted back, and in both cases the right or wrong hairstyle can make it successful or a catastrophe IMHO.

Although there are others who wear their hair in different styles with tiaras, it seem the Swedes do it the most. And even though it may sometimes come out on the "meh" end, I still prefer that to the same hairstyle every day, every time, every tiara for 50+ years like QEII. It works for her and that's fine...but it is a little boring.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Nobility

Boris - information about the use of the Baden Fringe

Sorry, forgot to ask in the above post. But since we have batted around many ideas and you've answered many questions for me I'm hoping you can help with this one.

I read somewhere this year (for the first time) that Queen Victoria, Princess of Baden, had left the fringe tiara to be used primarily by the Crown Princess of Sweden. Have you seen anything regarding this? It seems doubtful to me as it has been used by so many of the Swedish princesses, but for a time there was no Crown Princess and even when she started wearing it, Lilian was in essence the wife of the heir before Victoria was born.

I don't remember where I read it but it did not say for the "exclusive" use of the Crown Princess, only "primarily" (I think it was one of the Swedish blogs translated thru Google - I know, not the best source of information). Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,

Rascal
Old 12-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

I read it too. It was one the official Wedding Website in the section about the Wedding of Gustaf V. and Victoria of Baden who got the tiara as Wedding gift and wore it as necklace on her Wedding Day. I think the tiara looks good on all royal ladies who have worn it. It was also afavourite of Queen Louise.
I only would like to see it again as necklace but the only who has worn it like this was Queen Victoria.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Taking into account that after Queen Viktoria, Queen Louise, the King’s sisters, Queen Silvia and Princess Lilian have worn the Baden Fringe so many times (and CP Margaret never, as far as I know), I found the information that it should be ‘primarily’ reserved to Crown Princesses quite odd.
You could say that it’s reserved for CP Victoria to wear now, but that doesn’t constitute a historic tradition.

The last time Queen Silvia wore the Baden Fringe (with the first of the emerald sets from her private collection), at the Kreml state banquet in Russia 2001:
http://www.scanpix.no/spWebApp/previ...abId=editorial

And Queen Viktoria wearing it as a corsage, along with the Leuchtenberg sapphires:
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/379...1viktoria2.jpg
Old 12-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Nobility

Queen Victoria wearing the baden fringe as a necklace: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...jes/bad1ja.jpg
and more photos of the BF tiara here (Victoria, Victoria, Silvia, Lilian, Louise, Christina...): ZweedseJuweeltjes: Baden Fringe tiara
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 12-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm so surprised to see Silvia wearing a tiara so badly! I had also assumed that the Baden Fringe was reserved for Crown Princess's. That's why I thought Silvia had never worn it, because she went straight from commoner to Queen. But now to see so many royals wearing it, I guess not.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

‚So badly’ is a bit exaggerated, I’d say. Here for example, Queen Silvia wears it beautifully:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4558/208678.jpg

Queen Viktoria wearing the tiara at a similar angle:
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1...toria1920s.jpg

While on the other hand, CP Victoria sometimes overdid the ‘halo’ effect and wore it too far back and going too far down, IMHO:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2281/ts08052008.jpg

The Swedish Royal Court's press and information department has come up with the weirdest statement over the past few years under its chief Nina Eldh... I hope that's going to change once she's gone, as of January 1.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Nobility

[QUOTE=Boris;1182752]‚So badly’ is a bit exaggerated, I’d say. Here for example, Queen Silvia wears it beautifully:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4558/208678.jpg
[QUOTE]

Actually, Boris, the original I used for the collage was from the same event as this one you posted. And I agree, it looked very nice on her here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
The Swedish Royal Court's press and information department has come up with the weirdest statement over the past few years under its chief Nina Eldh... I hope that's going to change once she's gone, as of January 1.
If you don't mind my asking, what was the statement or could you post a link? And again I agree....2011 can't get to the press and info department soon enough. What a colossal disappointment Eldh has been.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I actually meant to write 'the weirdest statements'.
So I would have to come up with too many links than I care to...
Eldh was indeed a 'colossal disappointment' on every level, actually hugely disliked not just by royal watchers, but by media representatives and her own staff as well - one should assume that things can only get better.

The occasion from which the Queen Silvia photos are taken was in 1977, when The Queen - like all other major members of the Royal Family - was awarded with the Amaranther Order.
In late January, the Order celebrates its 200th jubilee in the presence of The King and Queen, an evening which should hopefully have - like their awarding ceremonies - a white tie & tiara dress code.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the heads up about the 200th anniversary of the Amaranther Order, Boris. Hopefully it will be another bling session. I know that Victoria and Carl-Philip also received the order. Did Madeleine ever?

Also, I don't know if you would know...but would Daniel receive that order now that he is a member of the royal family? (Maybe we'll see the crown princess couple along with the reigning couple at this year's event!)
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Majesty

here is crown princess victoria later queen victoria with the baden fringe tiara
does anyone know if there is more photos of victoria wearing this tiara?
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8...ldiadem100.jpg
Old 01-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Gentry

Hi! I wonder if someone can help me with something I have thought about. The other day a saw a old picture of the cameo parure and noticed that the necklace had 4 rows of pearls back in the days and nowdays when Silvia wears it theres only 3 rows there. Is it known what happend to the forth row and what it was used for?

And what happend to those stunning pearls of the second setting of the saphire tiara? Would have been a treet to see that version som day IMO
Old 01-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Majesty

here is a panel qith queen Louise with the baden fringe tiara
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2...ldiadem101.jpg
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahkoo View Post
Hi! I wonder if someone can help me with something I have thought about. The other day a saw a old picture of the cameo parure and noticed that the necklace had 4 rows of pearls back in the days and nowdays when Silvia wears it theres only 3 rows there. Is it known what happend to the forth row and what it was used for?

And what happend to those stunning pearls of the second setting of the saphire tiara? Would have been a treet to see that version som day IMO
Correct - the original necklace of the cameo parure had four rows, and the outer cameos were also set higher up. IMHO, it actually looked far more elegant and luxurious, also because the fourth row was a bit longer and created a nice sweeping shape.
Here’s a pic of CP Margaret wearing the original version:
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9...age1097766.jpg

The necklace was most likely changed by Princess Sibylla. Unfortunately, the rows were also connected in an odd way to the cameos:
Each cameo has four hooks to attach four rows of pearls. But while in the central cameo, the three upper hooks are used to attach the present three rows, the lower three hooks are used on the outer cameos, with the result that they simply don’t sit quite right due to this.
The whole alteration is puzzling, and I have no idea what happened to the missing pearls.

Regarding the pearls which could alternately be used instead of the sapphires in the Leuchtenberg tiara:
Unfortunately, the pearls left the main Bernadotte family line and were inherited by the former Prince Carl, later Count of Wisborg.
One of the most simple and most effective additions to the Bernadotte collection could be the acquisition of eleven drop pearls to (re-)create a fabulous diamond and pearl tiara.
Supposedly, Countess Gerty Bernadotte av Wisborg, second wife of Carl Bernadotte, is wearing some of the large pearls from the tiara as necklace pendants in this photo:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/383...nafwisborg.png

Tags
jewellery, past, royal, sweden