Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the catolouge at home and if I got it right it was a painting with a women that had the necklace one that was the property of the King beside the picture of the necklace, but the necklace was owned buy someone else, a collector in Paris
Thank you very much for checking - it's a pity that the necklace does not belong to the King after all.
IMO the necklace worn by Countess Gerty Bernadotte av Wisborg is most certainly Queen Josefina's; if you count the pearls in the close-ip photo of the necklace, take into consideration that painted versions of it are not reliable concerning the real size, and compare with the photo of Gerty, it's a match.
I also believe it's very possible that the drop pearl pendants along with the matching earrings on Countess Gerty, are the pearls which were originally interchangeable with the sapphires in Queen Josefina's Leuchtenberg tiara.

Last edited:
You are welcome. Maybe some day in the future it will be back in the swedish RF. I have a been wondering something about the aquamarine kokoshink, has it ever been confirmed that it is aquamarine? I think that the deep blue color of the stones in the tiara looks like blue topaz...

The aquamarines in the parure are aquamarines, I've never seen anyone say otherwise. Aquamarines are a gem that can look like a myriad of colors in light. Sometimes they can looks light or dark blue or at times can even appear to have a green look to them. I always thought of them as a lesser gem until I became interested in Royal jewels and discovered just how beautiful they are.

These pictures of Queen Louise are lovely! Thank you for posting them!

I know there is an ongoing discussion about who is the owner of the Aquamarine kokoshnik tiara - and it was discussed over and over again but what I was wondering is - where did it come from that it might have been bought by King CG from his sister.
Anybody more information?

Last edited:
The photos of Q. Louise are gr8! There aren't many photos of her esp. with those fab jewels. The Swedes have some of the best jewels.

Over at The Royal Jewles of the World messageboard someone posted a drawing of CP Margarets weddingpresent. I wonder if its known what happen to what seems to be a amethyst and diamond brosh or stomacher and to the ruby and diamond necklace

I nelieve that the ruby necklace was inherited with the ruby tiara by her son Sigvard(I hope I am not confusing him with a brother) and sold at some point - I remeber reading somewhere here at TRFs about Sigvard being in New York and finding out that the ruby necklace was fir auction but he couldn't riase money quickly enough ( I haven't seen the picture of the necklace but I guess this was the one mentioned because I haven't seen another mention of Margaret having a second ruby neccklace)
Abotu the amethyst stomacher I don't know but I am interested in the turrquoise brooch given by the Devonshires .. It reminds me of a brooch Queen Margrethe wears , but of course is a very basic desing and could be simply a similar one

Inspired by Ursula

Several posters have mentioned Ursula's site, Royal Magazin SCHMUCK - JUWELEN | Royal and Famous Jewelry, JewelCollectors| TIARA - Diadem, and I highly recommend it. She has done an incredible amount of beautiful work and I have learned a lot there.

Because of this and my interest in a visual provenance of particular pieces, I was inspired to try a little creativity. It is nowhere near the quality or level displayed by Ursula, but I am just a self-taught (i.e. trial and error) beginner.

I am reposting one I did a while back on the Baden Fringe Tiara (I don't remember where I posted it):

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

After the reappearance at the crown prince couple's wedding in June of last year, here is one on the aquamarine tiara:

And after the 2010 Nobel ceremony, here is one on the cut-steel tiara:

Have a great day, all!

Composite of Swedish Amethysts

Hello, any and all. Here is the latest of my works (which to my eye seem repetitive in design/style...need to stretch out of my comfort zone, maybe). It is a mockup of the six women in the SRF who have worn been pictured wearing the amethyst demi-parure.

:previous:

I thought the same thing, Josefine. It definitely is dark-colored stones, possibly garnets but more than likely jet. Although her head isn't covered, the black/dark veil also suggests mourning. But, alas, only black and white then. But, hey, at least it IS a photograph as opposed to a painting.

Hi! Does anyone know what these tiaras are called, and where they have disappeared to? :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/SofiaSwedenNorway.jpg[URL="http://www.historiesajten.se/fotobig/240.jpg[/QUOTE"][/QUOTE[/URL]]

Hi, HRH of Sweden. IIRC, this is Queen Sofia's tourmaline parure (most likely the pink variety). It was last seen on Countess Estelle Bernadotte, wife of Count Folke Bernadotte (possibly it was worn by her daughter more recently, but I have not seen a picture), so it was most likely inherited by Folke. It has been so long since it was seen, its current whereabouts are unknown.

This is Queen Louise's diamond tiara. It was given as a wedding gift to Princess Desiree, who has worn it many times over the years and continues to do so.

This one is hard to see so I can't be of much help to you. As Josefina is wearing the much-discussed pearl necklace, it is possible it is the tiara from the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Parure, only with the pearls instead of the sapphires (this would possibly account for the "spikes" that I can see on the tiara) however it would require the artist to have made the entire tiara smaller than it actually is, which is unlikely as if anything the artists would exaggerate them and make those pieces larger in their paintings.

Thank you very much for your help! For selfish reasons I do wish that they will return to the crown so we could se them more regularly... I can imagine Princess Madeleine in the tiara given to Princess Desiree!

Have Princess Desirees' Daughter/daughter in law worn the tiara for their wedding etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have Princess Desirees' Daughter/daughter in law worn the tiara for their wedding etc?

You would probably have more access to visual resources than I have available here in the USA, but AFAIK neither of Desiree's daughters have worn the tiara publicly, nor has her daughter-in-law. Helene is still single, and both Kristina Louise and the then Maria Frederiksson wore flowers in their hair for their weddings.

Interestingly, Sybilla Ambler wore her mother's aquamarine tiara only once, for her wedding. Pictures of Princess Margaretha's sons weddings have never been made public AFAIK so there is no telling on that one. I'm just glad it still exists and is with the family.

Princess Birgitta's daughter, Desiree of Hohenzollern, wore her mother's pearl tiara for her first wedding and has worn it several times since...most recently to Crown Princess Victoria's wedding and to the wedding ball of Georg Friedrich of Prussia. I believe the tiara is now her personal property, a gift from her mother, who had recieved it as a wedding gift form King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden, her grandfather.

Oscar Magnuson will be the first of Princess Christina's three sons to marry. Hopefully there will be pictures and we will be able to see if his fiancee, Emma Ledent, wears her new mother-in-law's tiara on her wedding day.

I dont think that the tiara in the picture with the pearl necklace is the one from the saphire parure since its thought that the pearls from the tiara where reset in to that necklace. So it would not be possible to wear them on the necklace and tiara at the same time.

Another thing I have thougt about the swedish collection. Imagen if the RF would still have all the pices in the collection that went overseas, what a vast super collection it would have been. The Emeralds in Norway, Rubies in Denmark, the Khedive from Greece etcetc, that would have been something IMO.

Rascal said:
Princess Birgitta's daughter, Desiree of Hohenzollern, wore her mother's pearl tiara for her first wedding and has worn it several times since...most recently to Crown Princess Victoria's wedding and to the wedding ball of Georg Friedrich of Prussia. I believe the tiara is now her personal property, a gift from her mother, who had recieved it as a wedding gift form King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden, her grandfather.

It was also worn by Ute maria König when she married Prince Hubertus of Hohenzollern. But not by the wife of Prince Carl Christian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing I have thougt about the swedish collection. Imagen if the RF would still have all the pices in the collection that went overseas, what a vast super collection it would have been. The Emeralds in Norway, Rubies in Denmark, the Khedive from Greece etcetc, that would have been something IMO.

Good point, Jahkoo. In fact, there are several pieces in other houses which either originated with the Swedish Royal Family or were a part of the collections or private jewels of Swedish princesses.

Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleberg
The diamond star and pearl spike tiara of Princess Benedikte originally belonged to Queen Sofia of Sweden. It has also been worn by Queen Ingrid, the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleberg princesses, Carina Axelsson, and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece.

Greece
The aforementioned Khedive of Egypt tiara was inherited by Queen Anne-Marie from her mother, Queen Ingrid of Denmark, who herself had inherited it from her own mother, Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden who received it as a wedding gift from the Khedive of Egypt, as this is where she and Crown Prince Gustav Adolf became engaged.

There is also the tiara now used by Princess Theodora. It was originally a stomacher/necklace which belonged to Queen Viktoria of Sweden and also was inherited by Queen Ingrid.

In addition, there is an amethyst and diamond brooch that was among the wedding gifts received by Crown Princess Margaret which has appeared on Princess Alexia. I don't know if it belongs to her or her mother but I assume it also passed as inheritance through Ingrid.

Denmark
Actually the Danish family owes most of its collection to the inheritance of the Swedes. Factoring out the Swedish contributions the only major jewels in the Danish collection are the Rosenborg Emerald Parure, the pearl parure, and a very nice diamond parure. The pieces that came to the Danish house from Sweden are:

Queen Desideria's Ruby Parure - now owned by CP Frederik and worn by his wife. It came to Denmark with Queen Lovisa, nee Princess of Sweden. It was originally much smaller as can be seen on pictures of Queen Alexandrine and early pictures of Ingrid as Crown Princess. Queen Ingrid later added brooches to the bandeau-style tiara and created its larger appearance. Queen Ingrid left it as inheritance to her grandson, Crown Prince Frederik.

The Baden Palmette Tiara worn most often by Queen Margrethe II - I believe this was an inheritance somehow through Queen Viktoria of Sweden. It has also been worn by Princess Benedikte and Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleberg.

The Orange-Nassau Pearl Tiara - Queen Margrethe II wears this most often with pieces from the Danish pearl parure. It also came to Denmark with Queen Lovisa.

The Turquoise Bandeau and parure - These originally belonged to CP Margaret of Sweden and came as inheritance through Queen Ingrid.

Diamond Spray Brooch - I believe on the Glittering Royal Events jewelry board there was a discussion about this piece, which Margrethe has attached to a string of pearls. It also belonged originally to CP Margaret of Sweden.

The Round Turguoise and Diamond Brooch - worn by Queen Margrethe was a wedding gift to CP Margaret of Sweden by the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire.

The Lava Parure - I believe is actually now the property of Countess Ruth of Rosenborg's daughter or one of her granddaughters. I'm not sure of the path to Countess Ruth but it originally belonged to Queen Desideria of Sweden.

The Turquoise Star Tiara - formally belonging to Countess Ruth and worn most often lately by her daughter-in-law, Countess Jutta. It originally belonged to Princess Ingeborg of Sweden (herself a Danish princess by birth) who passed it on to her daughter who married Prince Axel of Denmark.

Norway
All of the pieces that traveled to Norway did so with Princess Martha of Sweden, who married Crown Prince Olav, son of the only king and queen of modern Norway.

The Vasa Diamond Tiara - was a wedding gift from the people of Sweden or the citizens of Stockholm to CP Martha. It is now the property of Princess Astrid but I believe it is one of the pieces that must revert back to the Norwegian royal collection upon her death.

Princess Ingeborg's Diamond Loop and Pearl Tiara - now in the possession of Princess Ragnhild. It is one of the pieces which will revert back to the Norwegian Royal collection upon her death. It was inherited by CP Martha from her mother, Princess Ingeborg of Sweden.

Crown Princess Martha's Diamond Bandeau - now in the posession of Princess Astrid who wore it like a headband last year for a state visit. It was also worn by one of her daughters the same way for King Harald's 50th birthday celebrations. I believe it will stay with Astrid's family.

Queen Desideria's Diamond Tiara - one of the most beautiful of the large diamond tiaras IMO, this piece originally belonged to Queen Desideria of Sweden.

Diamond Brooch - the large diamond brooch that Queen Sonja wears with Queen Desideria's Diamond Tiara was originally a clasp from a bracelet belonging to Queen Sofia of Sweden.

Empress Josephine's Emerald Parure - the most recognizable of the emerald sets, these pieces originally belonged to Empress Josephine of France, were eventually inherited by Princess Ingeborg of Sweden, and presented to her daughter, CP Martha of Norway, as a gift to celebrate the birth of Prince Harald.

Belgium
The Stockholm Pearl Tiara - a wedding gift by the city of Stockholm to Princess Astrid of Sweden when she married Crown Prince Leopold of the Belgians. It was later dismantled/altered into a brooch worn by Princess Lilian de Rethy. Although she sold some of the Belgian pieces at auction, this piece has never turned up, so it quite possibly is part of the jewels still in Belgium, either belonging to Queen Fabiola or part of the collection of jewels that she and Queen Paola never wear because of their association with the much-maligned Lilian.

Luxembourg
I don't know the origin of the emerald pieces other than that they originally belonged to Queen Astrid - whether they came from Sweden I am unclear. The last listing of the gold bracelet however is verified.

The Emerald & Diamond Choker-Bracelet - was inherited by Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte from her mother, Queen Astrid of the Belgians, born Princess of Sweden.

Queen Astrid's Diamond & Emerald Pendant Earrings - also inherited by Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte from her mother.

Princess Ingeborg's Gold and Pearl Bracelet - a simple gold band with a pearl on each end. I don't know if Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte inherited this from her mother, Queen Astrid, or if it was a gift/inheritance from her grandmother, Princess Ingeborg of Sweden, its original owner. Since JC's death, I haven't seen it on any her descendants.

Last edited:
I found a picture today of a lady dressed in an empire dress wearing what looked like the cameo tiara. I am afraid I can't post the link since my mouse is broken. The picture was a miniature therefore not very detailed but it looked very much like the cameo tiara. The lady in the picture had dark hair and blue eyes so I assume that it is not the empress Josephine. Who could she be?
Could it be Hortense wearing her mothers tiara?

I find the lava cameo parure interesting and was wondering if anyone of you have a picture of either queen Desideria or countess Ruth wearing it.

I was also wondering about the baden palmette tiara owned by queen Margarete. Did queen Ingrid bring it with her when she went to Denmark and if so had it belonged to any other royal lady or was it made for her?

I was also wondering about the baden palmette tiara owned by queen Margarete. Did queen Ingrid bring it with her when she went to Denmark and if so had it belonged to any other royal lady or was it made for her?
The baden palmette tiara was made for Grand Duchess Luise of Baden, née Princess of Prussia. From her it went to her daughter Queen Victoria of Sweden and was later given to Princess Ingrid as Wedding gift.

I find the lava cameo parure interesting and was wondering if anyone of you have a picture of either queen Desideria or countess Ruth wearing it.

Hi, Ingrid Cecilia. There are only two photographs I have ever seen of the lava parure being worn. One was originally posted by a frequent visitor to different royal message boards and who recently had someone post his one of his photographs (with different subject matter) without his permission - in essence a copyright violation. I have it saved but out of respect to this forum member will respectfully refrain from passing it on. It is the most recent picture and the parure is being worn by Countess Ruth of Rosenborg's daughter (or grandaughter). Because it is in color and is rather far away it is hard to see any detail, but it does show that the carved lava (almost like a cameo) has a bluish tint - darker than aquamarine but lighter than turquoise - and is set in a very bright yellow gold.

The other picture is older so I am unclear on copyrights - moderators perhaps you can advise. In this one, the parure is being worn by Anne Bowes-Lyon, Princess George of Denmark. It is more of a closeup, and while only in b&w, it shows more detail of the carved lava pieces, as well as the scroll work in the gold. I believe it is so old that a copyright has expired but am unclear. I will post if moderator/administrators agree that is acceptable to do so.

I found a picture today of a lady dressed in an empire dress wearing what looked like the cameo tiara. I am afraid I can't post the link since my mouse is broken. The picture was a miniature therefore not very detailed but it looked very much like the cameo tiara. The lady in the picture had dark hair and blue eyes so I assume that it is not the empress Josephine. Who could she be?
Could it be Hortense wearing her mothers tiara?
Here is a link th Hortense wearing the cameo tiara: Queen Hortense of Holland wearing a cameo tiara now in the royal jewel collection of Sweden (auctioned) | Grand Ladies | gogm

The cameo tiaras were popular during the Napoleon era, several of his sisters had them:
Pauline Bonaparte, worn in a different style: eBay Guides - Georgian and Regency Combs Hair Accessories -1800-40 or ca. 1809 Pauline by Robert Lefèvre (Musee Nationale du Château de Malmaison, Rueil-Malmaison France) | Grand Ladies | gogm
Elisa Bonaparte: 1812 Elisa Baciocchi by Joseph Franque (Bibliothèque Marmottan, Boulogne-Billancourt France) | Grand Ladies | gogm
Caroline Bonaparte in a cameo bandeau (?): Everything is related to Naples (4) Caroline Murat

It could be possible that the mother of queen Joséphine, princess Auguste Amalie of Bavaria, ca. 1815 Auguste Amalie by Baron François Pascal Simon Gérard (Versailles) | Grand Ladies | gogm , could have been wearing the cameo parue of her late mother-in-law.

...I believe it is so old that a copyright has expired but am unclear. I will post if moderator/administrators agree that is acceptable to do so.
OK, a digression into copyright. It's fairly well explained in the Member FAQ but here's a briefer and more informal version...

Copyright is a vexed issue and because we have been a target of breach of copyright claims in the past we are careful to ensure that we comply with the law. Copyright protects the livelihood of the person or persons who created or own the original image or work and that's fair enough. A professional photographer is only paid what his or her photos sell for in the marketplace and if they were freely spread across the internet they would have less interest for any purchaser and wouldn't attract a premium. From a commercial point of view it flows that certain pics - or let's say pics of certain people - have greater currency and are highly protected. Therefore you won't find current photos of the Duchess of Cambridge or photos of the late Diana, Princess of Wales being posted directly into the threads here at TRF.

Photographic copyright basically lasts for a period of 70 years from the death of the photographer. As the Foum's servers are housed in the US we follow US law which effectively states that works first published before 1923 are now in the public domain and free of copyright. If a work was first published after 1923 chances are it will remain copyright-protected until 2047 (the date results from the successful action by the late Sonny Bono [of Sonny and Cher] to protect his sound recordings). There are exceptions, eg works or images in the public domain, and those which carry specific licences (such as the creative commons attribution-share licence which is attached to most images appearing in Wikipedia).

However... an image which is hosted in a picture-hosting account (eg Photobucket, Imageshack etc) and posted as a url link on which members click to see the picture, is not hosted on the Forum's servers and therefore does not involve the Forums in any copyright issue. Any such claim is a matter for the host, ie Photobucket, and whoever uploaded the image. While that is the legal status we will demonstrate good faith to protect the interests and rights of photographers who approach us about specific linked images and remove the links (rare, but we've done it).

Otherwise, and this works well for jewellery, a cropped portion of the original image may be posted directly or as a thumbnail so long as it is stated in the post that the original image has been heavily cropped. As an example of how to do it, see this post of Salma's.
I hope it's clear now; this post is already too long so if there's anything else, please PM me. :)

Thanks to Warren's excellent clarification, I have attached a link to the second photo I described in my previous posts. (I will refrain from posting the other as I still consider it to possibly be a violation but will hopefully revisit it at another time.)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/ruthlava27914936stdcame.jpg/

Hope this helps you, Ingrid Cecilia.

Last edited:
Rascal, Stefan and Meraude thank you so much!

It was that picture of Hortense I had seen.

The lava cameos looks very pale in the picture. All jewellery with lava cameos from the 19th century that I have seen has had dark lava, often dark grey so I wonder what colour these have. I also thought about the likeness with queen Sofia's malachite parure, the yellow gold and the design. I checked the catalogue that I've mentioned before and it said that Sofia's parure was from ca 1820-1830 so I wonder to whom it belonged before she received it.

I saw a list in a magazine about princess Margareta's wedding gifts when she married mr Ambler. I now that she received the aquamarine kokoshnik from her mother but the list said she received a diamond necklace from aunt Louise, aquamarine earrings from her grandfather the king and a sapphire ring from queen Ingrid. Does anyone of you now which these jewellery are, if they are old heirlooms or new?

I saw a list in a magazine about princess Margareta's wedding gifts when she married mr Ambler. I now that she received the aquamarine kokoshnik from her mother but the list said she received a diamond necklace from aunt Louise, aquamarine earrings from her grandfather the king and a sapphire ring from queen Ingrid. Does anyone of you now which these jewellery are, if they are old heirlooms or new?

Hi again, Ingrid Cecilia. It is difficult to answer these questions because of a lack of a clear index of the jewels which are/have been in the Swedish vaults. The necklace, for example, could be the short riviere Margaretha wore to the wedding in 2010, the short collet-set necklace she is wearing during the picture with Desiree around the time of their engagements, or it could be a longer one which she is pictured wearing during some function in the 1970s. The Swedish ladies in the past have been pictured wearing several of these at one time but without an "official" list, we cannot know how many of them there actually are, and how many of them belong to the foundations as opposed to personal property. The aquamarine earrings could be a different set, but I would bet money that they are the ones Margaretha wore to VicDan's wedding. As far as the ring...your guess would be as good as mine. It sounds like you only remember and are no longer in possession of the magazine. Perhaps in the original article there is a more detailed description, however I doubt that as magazine writing styles, particularly during that time, did not have as much description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom