Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Boris. I always assumed that this fringe tiara was one of the "kokoshnik" family of tiaras, and as such would have been worn or was intended to be worn attached to the front of the fabric covered Russian headpieces worn by many of the Romanov ladies. And since the bottom of those headresses would look strange/unfinished if the fringe tiara was just stuck on them, I assumed these eyelet loops were used to attach either a necklace (probably diamond or pearl) or some fabric border matching the color of the headpiece to give it a clean, finished appearance. Who knows? Wouldn't it be great to actually have access to some of the people involved with the piece originally to find out more about it, also with other jewels? Maybe we need to have Whoopi Goldberg whip up a seance for us a la "Ghost"! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi fellow members. Today I saw on wikipedia that the ruby tiara worne by the Queen can be convertet to a necklace aslo and that it has been worne like a necklace by Marianne Bernadotte af Wisborg once. This is the first time I see this information, is there anybody that can confirm it? Would be intresting to see how the pice looks one the neck

Yes, CP Margaret's ruby tiara - wedding gift from King Edward VII - can be converted to be worn as a necklace.
Queen Silvia has only worn it once as a necklace in public, during the state visit from Queen Beatrix to Sweden in 1987.
Here's a picture from that occasion:

Scanpix | Forhåndsvisning

^ I think the ruby tiara looks better as a tiara. It seems big and clunky as a necklace. I'm surprised no one wears it anymore, it's absolutely beautiful.

It makes a rather awkward tiara as well, though I agree and think its a beautiful piece of jewelry. Its just proving rather difficult to wear in a contemporary setting, plus there was the whole ownership fiasco.

I've heard of the whole issue of the ownership if this piece, does that mean it's not in the Bernadotte Foundation? If it is then the ownership couldn't of been disputed I would think. Are there any other major pieces not in the foundation?

I'm surprised no one wears it anymore, it's absolutely beautiful.
No one wearing it...?
After wearing it as a necklace once in '87 and as a tiara for the first time at the wedding of Prince Joachim of Denmark with Alexandra Manley in 1995, Queen Silvia left it in the vaults (most likely due to press coverage of the 'ownership dispute') until a state visit to Japan in 2006, but she has been wearing it regularly ever since.
I've heard of the whole issue of the ownership if this piece, does that mean it's not in the Bernadotte Foundation?
The ruby tiara was reportedly made part of the Foundation after King Carl Gustaf bought it back from Prince Sigvard's son.
Are there any other major pieces not in the foundation?
Hard to tell regarding several pieces, since it's not quite clear which ones have been made part of it during the present King's reign.
The question is particularly interesting regarding the jewelry he inherited from his mother Princess Sibylla. The Connaught diamond tiara for example appears to be his private property, and the complete cameo parure might be as well.

Thanks Boris! If the connaught tiara isn't in the foundation, I sure hope it finds it way in soon, or at least given to Victoria then she makes it part of the foundation. I would hate for such a beautiful piece to be lost from the main line.

Perhaps you will be able to answer this question Boris, if Sweden were to become a republic, what would happen to the jewels in the Foundation? Wld they be considered private property of who ever was monarch at the time?

I am fairly certain that the contents of the Bernadotte Foundations would be considered private property of the person who happens to be the monarch.
As a matter of fact, most trusts and foundations hold its contents for their personal owner who, depending on the trust's stipulations, might not be able to sell them or give them away but of course continues to own them.
It's a popular misconception that all these foundations hold their contents for the state or the nation to take over in case a monarchy would be abolished. Their purpose is mainly to save property tax, make the maintenance tax-deductible, and secure that a collection is kept together.
But a trust can also be broken and re-assembled after the sale of some of its contents - see Luxembourg for example where large parts of real estate from the foundation were sold.
By the way, there is not just one Bernadotte Foundation but a complicated network of several trusts which hold not only jewelry but also artwork, real estate, furniture, collections of other antiques, etcetera.

Thanks so much Boris! I have always wondered about the Bernadette Foundation(s). I had the misconception that they were property of the state by being in the Foundation but am relieved that they are not. Now I'm interested in finding out how much property the King ownes, time for some research!

The neckless in the picture worn by queen Josefina was an inheritance from her mother princess Augusta of Bayern. The neckless is now a private property of the king.

The tiara that is referred to as the modern fringe tiara is supposed to be princess Madeleine's private property. In magazines and papers it is always said to have been the 18 th birthday present from her parents and not the aquamarine bandeau which was the first diadem she wore. It is a mysterious tiara but I do not think it is a modern tiara but one from about 1900, when that type of diadem was popular.

The necklace worn by Gerty Bernadotte looks like the one worn by Queen Josefina...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/JosephineSwedenNorway.jpg/250px-JosephineSwedenNorway.jpg

Josefina in diamond and pearl tiara (maybe the Leuchtenberg one??? hard to see)http://www.dagensvisa.com/minata/joseph_9.jpg

Some other Josefina pics: http://www.historiesajten.se/fotobig/240.jpghttp://

The neckless in the picture worn by queen Josefina was an inheritance from her mother princess Augusta of Bayern. The neckless is now a private property of the king.

Hi, Ingrid Cecilia, and thanks for the information. Just to clarify, there are two different necklaces in the the links above. The first on Gerty Bernadotte and third on Josefina appear to be the same necklace, or at least similar with the drop pearls on the lower strand.

If I am reading you correctly, the necklace you referred to is the one in the second link which is barely visible. It appears to be the three-strand pearl necklace with the rectangular diamond clasp that is often worn by Queen Silvia. Is this the one you mean in your post? I have always wondered about its provenance and this is the first time I have seen anyone posting about it, or about it coming from Augusta of Bayern.

BTW, do you have any pics of Augusta of Bayern wearing it? I am always interested in tracing the history of these jewels through a pictorial timeline, whether they be photographs or paintings.

Thanks again for the information!

I find queen Sofia's jewels interesting since we do not seem to know the origin of them. In the thread it seams as if she owned three tiaras. Nine prong tiara (Bernadotte foundation?), small pearl tiara(owned by princess Christina) and pink turmaline tiara(owned by Ebba Bernadotte).
Does anyone have good colour pictures of the pink turmaline tiara and did it contain a parure?

Who inherited the tiaras when the queen died?

If I remember correctly at an exhibition about jewellery at Nationalmuseum some years ago there was a parure consisting of a big tiara and a big neckless that was supposed to have belonged to queen Sofia and which was later donated to the museum by her children. The parure was the oddest jewellery I have ever seen. It was made by very yellow gold and carved placates of malakit. It was really baroque and not very pretty but I would like to know if any of you have seen a picture of the queen wearing, or perhaps of some other lady wearing something like it?

No, I was referring to the neckless in the third picture. The one with two rows of pearls and pearl drops. There was an exhibition at Nationalmuseum years ago where the neckless was displayed together with a portrait of princess Augusta of Bayern and the catalogue said that the neckless had been lent by his majesty the king.

No, I was referring to the neckless in the third picture. The one with two rows of pearls and pearl drops. There was an exhibition at Nationalmuseum years ago where the neckless was displayed together with a portrait of princess Augusta of Bayern and the catalogue said that the neckless had been lent by his majesty the king.
Are you really certain?
That would be quite amazing because at least the drop pearl pendants from this necklace ended up with Count Folke Bernadotte of Wisborg. The necklace is supposed to hold part of the drop pearls which could be interchanged with the sapphires in the Leuchtenberg tiara.
If true, it would further confirm my long-held suspicion that the present King has been buying back systemetically a lot of the jewelry which went to the side branches of the Bernadotte family.
But it would also be odd that this necklace has never been seen worn in public by his wife or daughters.
Here’s a pic of Count Carl’s second wife Gerty, presumably wearing the pearls:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3836/gertybernafwisborg.png
Does anyone have good colour pictures of the pink turmaline tiara and did it contain a parure?
Yes, it was a complete tourmaline parure which went to Count Folke, worn here by Countess Estelle (not in colour, but rather clear):

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1507/estellebpinktourmalines.jpg

Hi, Ingrid Cecilia, and thanks for the reply. Sorry for getting it wrong. But I appreciate you clarifying for me. I, like Boris stated just above, also find it strange that this necklace has not been seen on any of the Bernadotte ladies since Gerty wore it (if that is indeed the same necklace on her). I am encouraged, however, by the possibility that CG has been "reclaiming" the Swedish royal jewels, as Boris theorizes. Although they have a nice collection with many beautiful pieces, I hope they are able to get some more variety in them.

Back to the necklace I referred to...the three strands with the rectangular diamond clasp...does anyone know about its provenance? I know of the painting of Queen Josefine wearing it (with the clasp turned in the opposite direction from how Silvia wears it) and the many occasions of Queen Silvia in this piece. Has it been worn by any others?

If I remember correctly at an exhibition about jewellery at Nationalmuseum some years ago there was a parure consisting of a big tiara and a big neckless that was supposed to have belonged to queen Sofia and which was later donated to the museum by her children. The parure was the oddest jewellery I have ever seen. It was made by very yellow gold and carved placates of malakit. It was really baroque and not very pretty but I would like to know if any of you have seen a picture of the queen wearing, or perhaps of some other lady wearing something like it?
You're right, the malachite (?) and gold parure is now in the museum. It is very baroque and ostentatious but its a lovely example of jewel-craft from that time period. And yes, the malachite is more appropriate for ashtrays, jewel boxes, cane handles, etc....not so much for jewels.

As to Queen Sophie's jewels, there was also the diamond star and pearl spike tiara now owned by Princess Benedikte of SWB, gifted to her from her mother, Queen Ingrid. That would make it at least four tiaras that belonged to Queen Sophie.

Regarding the diamond star and pearl spike tiara, here is Queen Sophie wearing it:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

In addition to Sophie, AFAIK it has also been worn by Ingrid, Benedikte, Anne-Marie, and both of Benedikte's daughters.

And Queen Sophie also had the emerald Parure now in Norway.

Thanks, Stefan...I completely forgot about that one...which brings the tally currently to five.

Thanks, Stefan...I completely forgot about that one...which brings the tally currently to five.
And she also worethe Braganza so we are at 6.

If Boris theori is right I hope the King will buy back the pink torumaline paurere (spelling?) or the aquamarine tiara! What other itemes do the smaller branshes of the family have that you hope we will see with the main line once again?

Thanks to all of you,Rascal,Boris and Stefan for information.

About the pearl neckless. I don't have the catalogue from the exhibition at home, but my parents have it so I can check it later but I do not know when. As I remember the portrait of Augusta is a portrait of her face and shoulders and I think it must have been a later portrait since the hair and sleeves looked as if they were in the fashion of the 1830:s. I tried to find a picture on the internet but I could only find this and I do not know if I can manage to post it but I will try.

File:Auguste Amalia Ludovika von Bayern1.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Here she is wearing an empire dress but the neckless only has one string of pearls and the drops so maybe the other strand was added later.

Boris, I do not think it is the same neckless as the one Gerty Bernadotte was wearing since the drops in her neckless seems to be "chubbier" and the strands of pears are shorter.

The reason that I remember that the king owned it was since that neckless and the pink topaz parure were the only jewels lend by the king and I was surprised that he owned them and not the queen. Princess Lilian had lend her scarab neckless. There were also jewellery from other royal houses.

thank you hanna regina.
so this may be lost for us to see on a swedish royal again

I have the catolouge at home and if I got it right it was a painting with a women that had the necklace one that was the property of the King beside the picture of the necklace, but the necklace was owned buy someone else, a collector in Paris

I just came across this picture on the RJWMB:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Princess Sibylla of Sweden

I was never sure why I was not so keen on the aquamarine jewelry on the day of CP Victorias wedding besides being really beautiful - now I know. Just imagine, Princess Margareta would have worn a blue dress - the tiara brooch etc. would be really really nice. They almost disappear against the green dress.

The aquamarine parure is stunning, but it is interesting how a dress color can accent or down play magnificent jewels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom