The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-17-2010, 04:11 AM
Nobility

Speaking about Queen Sophia of (Nassau) Sweden/Norway... this is a lovely picture of a young Sophia with lots of jewels (as they used to wear them at that time) and I was wondering about the tiara, because I cant recognise it...
Fil:SofiaSwedenNorway.jpg - Wikipedia

And in this picture of Queen Victoria:Fil:Queenvictorias.jpg - Wikipedia
it looks like she got "pearl drops" in a long pearl necklace. Can it be the same as the ones we can see at the painting of Queen Josefina? Fil:JosephineSwedenNorway.jpg - Wikipedia
(pictures from Svenska kungahusets smycken - Wikipedia)

"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

The tiara Queen Sofia wears is from the pink tormaline Parure which was given to Countess Ebba Bernadotte (see Boris post in the Queen Silvia Jerwelry thread). There where some pics. on the Royal jewels MB before the Royal Wedding.

As for Queen Sofia the pearl drops are on the Corsage brooch. Wonder where it is now. Could the lower part of it be the antique pearl tiara of Queen Anne-Marie. It was made of an old corsage brooch Queen Ingrid inherited.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Nobility

Who has worn what? - Update list 08-17-2010

This is a copy of a post from Queen Silvia's jewelry thread, part 2. I believe it belongs here but I am posting in both just in case. Perhaps the moderators can decide and shift them for me?

Now that the Swedish wedding has come and gone...and with the discussions of late about the Swedish Royal Jewelry (I'll still be posting other questions), information about who has worn what items in the Swedish collection has changed and needs an update. I've tried to limit it to people with supporting photographic or portrait evidence of the pieces in question as some painters in the 18th and early 19th centuries used artistic license and some of the depictions are questionable. Here is what I can come up with - feel free to add or correct as needed:

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only (thank goodness!) by CP Victoria

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)

4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure:
Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara)

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian

CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it ), Silvia, CP Victoria

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria

Leuchtenberg Parure:
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Tiara:
Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria (pendants as necklace only)

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (now owned by Christina):
Christina

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara (now owned by Desiree):
Louise, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together.

Rascal
Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks Rascal for the list of who has worn what!

Is this Princess Birgitta's bracelet tiara?
Princess Birgitta Wearing a New Hairdo - Rights Managed - Corbis
Old 08-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Nobility

Very good, jonc93! This is the Corbis picture. If you read above our previous discussion of Silvia wearing the cut-steel tiara, the first time it was worn by her was during a visit to or from Austria. She is pictured with Princess Birgitta, who is much younger, still very tanned, but not looking as unfortunate as she does now. In the picture, Birgitta wears this tiara.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:52 AM
Royal Highness

She looks lovely over here. She must have been the most lovely princess of Europe in her days.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
She looks lovely over here. She must have been the most lovely princess of Europe in her days.
Yes she does look good especially considering how she looks now, a disaster. lol!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:45 AM
Nobility

I completely agree with the comments about Princess Birgitta. Stunning when she was younger because of her beautiful skin and smile as well as those HUGE eyes. She is a stunning woman now, but for completely different reasons.

What I think is the biggest tragedy is the effect on the jewels. I was so shocked by how tragic she looked I almost didn't notice the tiara she was wearing. As it is one of the largest of the collection, to distract someone who studies the Swedish jewels from noticing it is a huge feat. I can only imagine someone who was seeing anything about the Swedish royal family for the first time being completely shocked and not even see the tiara at all. Queen Louise was not the most attractive woman but she managed to wear the jewels appropriately and managed to look like a queen - regal and elegant, even if she was not pretty.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Nobility

agree agree... Birgittas look was terrible at the wedding+ night before... maybe because she try too hard to have a "young" style (hair, dress...) but she failed completely and the tiara down over her hair was no hit ( if we are nice we can say she wore the tiara more like in the way they did in the 20:s or so ;-) here Q Louise: Filrottlouise.jpg - Wikipedia
Birgittas sisters on the other hand managed to look like mature ladys and wore their tiaras like queens :-) esp Desireé looked fantastisc - not afraid of her age :-)
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 08-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Nobility

2nd Nagging Question

Hello, any and all. Hope your week is going well. Today I am posting a link to a particular brooch. This picture of Grand Duchess Luise of Baden is part of Miss Merten's Photostream on Flicker:

Luise von Baden, Grand Duchess of Baden | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

In it, Luise wears a brooch at her collar which appears to be a cushion pearl in an diamond circle (which may or may not be open between the diamonds and cushion pearl), from which is suspended a teardrop pearl pendant.

Crown Princess Victoria wore a beautiful nude colored dress to the private dinner at Drottningholm during the wedding festivities. It was the same dress she wears in one of the official portraits for the wedding and was used on the cover of the chocolates. She is seated next to Daniel and her hair is open but held up on one side with the Berndotte Rose Brooch.
Here is a link to the photo as posted on Jakob Granqvist's blog:

http://www.jakobgranqvist.com/blog/w...kholm-2010.jpg

Here is my question: Her gown is a one-shoulder with fabric over her left shoulder. Pinned to the fabric is a brooch which appears to be the same one worn by Grand Duchess Luise of Baden.

Queen Silvia has also worn this brooch on a few occasions, most recently during the state visit to the Netherlands. Could these two be the same and was it possibly inherited by Queen Victoria of Sweden, Luise's daughter? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rascal
Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it ), Silvia, CP Victoria.
The cameo parure was also worn once by Crown Princess Margaret for a Wedding when she borrwoed it from Prince Eugen.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 08-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The cameo parure was also worn once by Crown Princess Margaret for a Wedding when she borrwoed it from Prince Eugen.
and here is a v short glimpse of CP Margaretha in the cameo parure at 4.03

and at Sjöberg bild I found Princess Sibylla in the cameo tiara http://arkiv.sjobergbild.se/FotoWeb/...F0613C84404B31

(and if the link to the pic doesnt work here is a link to the gallerie... the pic is down 3 from left http://arkiv.sjobergbild.se/fotoweb/...0and%20sibylla )
Old 08-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

Thanks, Stefan! Can't believe I missed that one...and I have a pic from the wedding LOL! It was a LOOOOONNNGGG list!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
and here is a v short glimpse of CP Margaretha in the cameo parure at 4.03
Can anyone tell me the tiara that the Crown Princess is wearing at the end of the YouTube clip? I don't recognize it, but I only know six or seven of the Swedish tiaras by sight. Or perhaps this is an English tiara from before her marriage?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Nobility

Hi, Krisotter. The tiara you saw is the Khedive of Egypt Diamond Tiara now in the possession of Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, daughter of Queen Ingrid of Denmark who inherited this tiara when her mother, Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden died. The tiara has been, so far, worn by all female descendants of Queen Ingrid on their wedding day, but remains the personal property of Anne-Marie. She last wore it for Prince Joachim's wedding to Marie Cavalier.

Rascal
Old 08-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Didn't Anne-Marie wear the Khedive this year? Was it for Queen Margrethe's birthday celebrations? I have to search now.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Didn't Anne-Marie wear the Khedive this year? Was it for Queen Margrethe's birthday celebrations? I have to search now.
Yes she wore it for the birthday dinner at Fredensborg in April this year.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Nobility

Post #75-80 is about the Vasa earrings. Here is a picture of Madeleine wearing them Fil:Royal Wedding Stockholm 2010-Konserthuset-427.jpg (cropped).jpg - Wikipedia
Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the correction, Katrianna and Stefan. I completely forgot about Anne-Marie wearing the Khedive tiara at the birthday celebrations....guess I am still in wedding mode !

Rascal
Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Majesty

who wore the nine prog tiara between sofia and louise?

Tags
jewellery, past, royal, sweden