Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: As far as that particular tiara is concerned it could very well have belonged to her privately in much the same way as Camilla's floral tiara is hers through her family or any personal gifts from her husband. They are hers to dispose of.

Somehow I cannot imagine CG owning anything with dubious provenance, particularly something that was intended to be frequently in the public eye.
I believe that the Countess of Tankerville refers in her letter to a family quarrel over the jewels, with the dowager Countess not wanting to hand over the jewels to her daughter-in-law, who was the current Countess. The way it was phrased it seems not to refer to a burglary or something like that.

So the ownership of the tiara can't really be called 'dubious', as this quarrel must have been resolved about a century ago. And all the people involved in this quarrels were long dead at the time when the King (hypthetically) acquired this tiara.
I think it was in 2007 at King Harald's 70th birthday ball.
I think so too. Here is a pic from that birthday gala.
http://postimg.org/image/5a8q7su5r/

I think you found it! :clap: Though it is difficult to be sure with the blurred quality of the old pictures. I made a comparison of enlarged snippets of some pics, and now I'm no longer sure that it is actually a real meander pattern. The geometric pattern reminds me of art deco style. Any opinions?

(Pictures cropped to less than 20% of the orignal version.)

Looking at the photos again, I'm not convinced that the top right photo shows the same bracelet. Maybe it's the light and angle, but it looks to me that this jewel is set with oval coloured stones in diamond clusters with X-like links between them. Any opinions?

About the bracelet again - I just came across this photo from Victoria and Daniel's wedding and I'm almost sure that Princess Birgitta's wearing the bracelet in the picture.

We have a greatest list thank you all for administration to it
I feel we are missinga a few important intems like the bracelet så

Large Bernadotte bracelet

Diamond fence bracelet

Diamond vasa crown juvel bracelet

3 Tennis bracelets 2 Diamond 1 saphire

3 row Pearl bracelet with a Pearl clasp

We also have the scarab necklace

Large Bernadotte Pearl set necklace and earings

Diamond arrow brosch

Last edited:
Looking at the photos again, I'm not convinced that the top right photo shows the same bracelet. Maybe it's the light and angle, but it looks to me that this jewel is set with oval coloured stones in diamond clusters with X-like links between them. Any opinions?

About the bracelet again - I just came across this photo from Victoria and Daniel's wedding and I'm almost sure that Princess Birgitta's wearing the bracelet in the picture.
I never looked closely at Princess Birgitta's bracelet before, so thank you for the link. It has often been speculated that the bracelet was among the jewels that were once stolen from the Princess. So luckily that's not the case. But it's a pity that her daughter's-in-law never wore it as a bandeau at the big Swedish tiara events. Only her daughter Desiree ever wears a tiara, the pearl circlet tiara that was a wedding gift.

Looking closely at the bandeaus in the collage I understand what you mean about the bandeau at the right top. But it could be a trick of the light, and the photo is far from clear. Or is there a bracelet in the family with large oval stones and a kind of cross-motive in-between?

Originally List Posted by Rascal

I worked a bit with the order.
The list is starting to get long and i thought it needed to be easier to read
Please add if you have information
the red parts are new to the list
Do you see anything that need correction please do so or tell us by posting

Parures
Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure: consists of a tiara, necklace, earings, brosch and 2 braclets
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it ), Silvia, CP Victoria also worn the necklace 2013

Leuchtenberg Parure: consists of a tiara, necklace, earings, brosch, 2 hairpins
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Parure: consists of a tiara, diamoand revire necklace, earings (can be worn in 2 versions), rose brosch
Q Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia
Victoria (worn the upper part of the earings)
Brazilian set diamond rose brooch
Silvia, CP Victoria

Demi-Parure
The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure: consists of a necklace, brosch
Q Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure: consists of a necklace (today worn as a tiara) 2 braclets, earings, 2 brosches, one with pendent
Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara), Madeleine (w tiara)

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure: consists of a necklace, earings pendents from one of the brosches, 2 brosches (1 worn with or with out pendent)
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

Bernadotte pearl Demi-parure: consists of a necklace, earings
Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria (only earings), Madeleine (only earings)

Tiaras
Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Birgitta

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Q Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)
4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria, Desiree

Small cut steel tiara
CP Victoria

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only by CP Victoria

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine, Birgitta

Princess Sofias tiara
P Sofia

Tiaras owned by the kings sisters
CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler, Christina, Madeleine

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara (now owned by Desiree):
Louise, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (owned by Christina stolen):
Christina

Converted tiaras/necklaces
Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian, Victoria (owner)

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria, Birgitta

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Necklaces
Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Q Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian (given to silvia who has yet to be worn)

13 Strand Pearl Choker
Q Victoria, Christina, Silvia, Madeleine

Queen Josefina's 3-Row Pearl Necklace
Q Josefina, Silvia

2 row pearl necklace with a diamond and pearl clasp
[/B]Silvia

Diamond revieres (hard to tell how many)
the largest belongs to the brazilian set
long reviere
Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

3 row pearl necklace with a diamond clasp
Josefina, Silvia

Earings
The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Karl XIV Johan's Earrings
Q Lovisa, Louise, Sibylla, Lilian, Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Cluster Earrings
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Queen Josefina's Stomacher Earrings (part of the Queen Josefina's Stomacher )
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Sofia

Epaulette earings
CP Victoria

Pearl pendent earings
Silvia, Victoria, Madeleine

Diamond pendent earings
Silvia, Victoria, Madeline, P Sofia

Diamond loop earings
Silvia, Victoria

Brosches
The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:
Silvia, CP Victoria (worn in her hair), Madeleine (worn in her hair)

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria (worn in her hair)

Bernadotte Oval diamond brooch
Silvia,Louise,Margaretha, Queen Sofia (?)

Bernadotte Lozenge diamond brooch
Q Victoria, Q Louise, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, P Sofia, Lilian, Sibylla

Princess Lilians wedding flower brosch
Lilian, Silvia

Cupid´s arrow
Sibylla, Silvia (worn in her hair), Victoria (worn in her hair)

Ruby and diamond brosch
Silvia, Madeleine, Victoria

Diamond bow brosch
Silvia, Victoria, Madeline

Thinn diamond bow brosch (with or without pearl pendent)
Silvia, Victoria, Madeleine

Small diamond flower brosch (victoria wore it at her engagment)
Lilian, Victoria

Saphire diamond Horseshoue
Silvia, Victoria

Bracelets

Grand diamond bracelet
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Madeleine, Victoria

Queen Sofias diamond bracelet
Q Sofia, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Madeline, Victoria

3 row pearl bracelet with pearls-clasp

Pendents
Diamomd Cross pendent
Q Sofia, Silvia, Victoria

Vasa pendent
Silvia, Lilian, Victoria, Madeline

Pearl pendent
Silvia, victoria, Madeleine

Other items
Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together

Last edited:
Bracelets

Grand diamond bracelet zig zag bracelet

Queen Lovisa diamond bracelet * Lovisa is the first queen documented with the bracelet not Sofia edited
Lovisa, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Madeline, Victoria

Louise, Christina, Silvia, Victoria, Madeline

Louise, Silvia, Victoria, Madeline, P Sofia

3 Tennis bracelets 2 diamond 1 spahire * not posted on the list
Louise, Silvia, madeleine Victoria

Ruby diamond bracelet * not posted on the list
Sibylla, Silvia, Victoria, Madeleine

Saphire and diamond bracelet * not posted in the list
Madeleine

Rubies and yellow Stone bracelet * not posted in the list
Victoria and Madeleine

Pearl bracelet with a S monogram * not posted in the list
Silvia

Last edited:
Bracelets

Grand diamond bracelet

Queen Sofias diamond bracelet
Q Sofia, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Madeline, Victoria

Victoria

I have written down that Lovisa also wore Queen Sofia's diamond bracelet.
I also have written down that Louise and Christina wore the Diamond Vasa Crown Juvel Bracelet.

I believe Princess Sofia has also worn the 3 Row Pearl Bracelet with Pearl Clasp either in December or earlier this year. I believe Louise also wore it.

As for the 3 Tennis bracelets I have written down that Louise, Silvia, and Madeleine have all worn them as well.

What do you know about the Ruby and Diamond Bracelet that both Silvia and Madeleine have worn?

I realized I should share my file that I keep referencing with you all. Feel free to edit it. I am still trying to figure out how to add photos so that when you click on the check mark you can see the person wearing it but that will happen in time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxEwWbhVboQFIKormd4drR_LUKqHj45ZirgkvhvsL7A/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you what Amazing work you have done

We also have the pearl bracelet with a S monogram clasp

And the yellow colour with rubies bracelet worn by Victoria and Madeleine

And a diamond saphire bracelet worn by Madeleine

Last edited:
Princess Sibylla at the Olympic Games in Berlin in 1936
Photo text:
Olympische Spiele 1936 in Berlin- Empfang zu einem 'Fest der Freude und des Friedens' durch die Reichsregierung in der Staatsoper Unter den Linden; in einer Ehrenloge von rechts: Koenig Boris III.von Bulgarien, Prinzessin Sybilla und Erbprinz Gustaf Adolf von Schweden, Emmy Goering; im Hintergrund: Hermann Goering
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

I have written down that Lovisa also wore Queen Sofia's diamond bracelet.
I also have written down that Louise and Christina wore the Diamond Vasa Crown Juvel Bracelet.

I believe Princess Sofia has also worn the 3 Row Pearl Bracelet with Pearl Clasp either in December or earlier this year. I believe Louise also wore it.

As for the 3 Tennis bracelets I have written down that Louise, Silvia, and Madeleine have all worn them as well.

What do you know about the Ruby and Diamond Bracelet that both Silvia and Madeleine have worn?

It comes from Princess Sibylla. There is a photo of her with young CG in the Life archive.

Thank you what Amazing work you have done

We also have the pearl bracelet with a S monogram clasp

And the yellow colour with rubies bracelet worn by Victoria and Madeleine

And a diamond saphire bracelet worn by Madeleine

The pearl bracelet with S monogram clasp I called Silvia's 2 Strand Pearl...

Also anyone can feel free to add to it as they see fit. I am currently in the process of adding photos so that when you click on the name of the jewel you can see a picture of what it is referring to.

Princess Sibylla at the Olympic Games in Berlin in 1936
Photo text:
Olympische Spiele 1936 in Berlin- Empfang zu einem 'Fest der Freude und des Friedens' durch die Reichsregierung in der Staatsoper Unter den Linden; in einer Ehrenloge von rechts: Koenig Boris III.von Bulgarien, Prinzessin Sybilla und Erbprinz Gustaf Adolf von Schweden, Emmy Goering; im Hintergrund: Hermann Goering

Can it be a diamond collier/reviere as a tiara?

It is difficult to say with the photo quality. I would say it's either a diamond rivier or a bracelet.

It is difficult to say with the photo quality. I would say it's either a diamond rivier or a bracelet.

Here is another photo I found of Sibylla at the Olympics in Berlin. It looks to be a diamond riviere.

Photo text: Olympische Spiele 1936 in Berlin - Empfang zu einem 'Fest der Freude und des Friedens' durch die Reichsregierung in der Staatsoper Unter den Linden; in einer Ehrenloge von rechts: Koenig Boris III. von Bulgarien, Prinzessin Sybilla von Schweden, NN, Emmy Goering; im Hintergrund: Hermann Goering

I am still pondering over the mystery diadem of Crown Princess Margareta that Princess Lilian was supposed to have left to Crown Princess Victoria along with the laurel leaf tiara. As Lilian's will was made public wouldn't any jewellery that Prince Bertil left to Lilian be listed in his will and inventory? Do wills exist publicly for Prince Bertil or Crown Princess Margareta and King Gustaf Adolf?

I am still pondering over the mystery diadem of Crown Princess Margareta that Princess Lilian was supposed to have left to Crown Princess Victoria along with the laurel leaf tiara. As Lilian's will was made public wouldn't any jewellery that Prince Bertil left to Lilian be listed in his will and inventory? Do wills exist publicly for Prince Bertil or Crown Princess Margareta and King Gustaf Adolf?

I have tried time and time again to try to figure out how to see the Wills of CP Margareta and K GA... I asked Xenobia but haven't heard back.

Here is an article of Bertil's will in Aftonbladet in March 1999, when the estate inventory was finally ready. It is very rough about the inheritance, mentions only the Scarab necklace:
Aftonbladet nyheter_ Kungen ärver Bertils paradis

There was another article about Bertil's will still in the internet a year ago, it had a little more information, but it has been taken away from the internet. But it didn't tell much about the jewellery. And I wasn't wise enough to copy it...

And Sarahbellar, I think that also Victoria has worn the Ruby and Diamond bracelet, at least twice:

Brosches
The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:
Silvia, CP Victoria (worn in her hair), Madeleine (worn in her hair)

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria (worn in her hair)

Bernadotte Oval diamond brooch
Silvia,Louise,Margaretha, Queen Sofia (?)

Bernadotte Lozenge diamond brooch
Q Victoria, Q Louise, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, P Sofia, Lilian, Sibylla

Princess Lilians wedding flower brosch
Lilian, Silvia

Cupid´s arrow
Sibylla, Silvia (worn in her hair), Victoria (worn in her hair)

Ruby and diamond brosch
Silvia, Madeleine, Victoria

Diamond bow brosch

Q V's Diamond and Pearl Bow (with or without pearl pendent)
Q Victoria, Lilian, Victoria, Sofia

Victoria's 18th Flower Diamond (victoria wore it at her engagement)
Victoria

8 diamond button brosches
Q Victoria, Silvia, Victoria, Madeleine

Saphire diamond Horseshoue
Silvia, Victoria

Round saphire diamond brosch
Silvia, Victoria

Victorias butterfly Brosch
Victoria

Grand Duchess of Baden Pearl
GD of Baden, Silvia, Victoria, Madeleine

8 Diamond and Pearl
Q Victoria, Sibylla, Lilian, Silvia, Madeleine

Diamond and Pearldrop
Q Victoria, Lilian, Silvia, Victoria, Madeleine

Funky shape Pearl Diamond
Q Victoria, Silvia, Victoria, Madeleine, i think Christina wore it as a necklace pendent

Baden Pearl Drop
GD of Baden, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia

Ivy Pearl Drop
Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Victoria without the pearls as a pendent

Grenadier Gaurds
Lilian, Silvia, Victoria

Crownlike brosch
Silvia, Victoria

Diamond flower botton
Lilian

Gold and pearl brosch
Vicrtria, Madeleine, P Sofia

Silvias S monogram brosch
Silvia

Princess Lilian Saphire diamond brosch
Lilian

No name diamond brosch
Silvia

Last edited:
Bracelets

Grand diamond bracelet zig zag bracelet

Queen Lovisa diamond bracelet * Lovisa is the first queen documented with the bracelet not Sofia edited
Lovisa, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Madeline, Victoria

Louise, Christina, Silvia, Victoria, Madeline

Louise, Silvia, Victoria, Madeline, P Sofia

Louise, Silvia, madeleine Victoria

Ruby diamond bracelet * not posted on the list
Sibylla, Silvia, Victoria, Madeleine

Saphire and diamond bracelet * not posted in the list
Madeleine

Rubies and yellow Stone bracelet * not posted in the list