Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When a Royal Lady dies their frames goes back to the Serafin Order and are on display for other members.
I really think the Haga Princesses have the one they received when they were .. 18 ?

That is a really interesting observation LadyFinn! Actually I think I have heard or read somewhere that Princess Madeleine used Princess Sibylla's old frame. But I can't recall where I heard it from.

Roger Lundgren has said it a few times at the broadcasts. But to me it looks that Sibylla's frame is the one Victoria has now. Victoria had the frame from her 18th birthday until the the king's 60th birthday in 2006, then Madeleine had it from the Nobels 2006 until the end of 2008. In March 2009 Victoria had that frame again has has it now.
Maybe the sisters changed portrait/frames for a while so that also Madeleine might wear her grandmother's frame for some years?

Madeleine on King's 60th birthday party in April 2006
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090011Z14447307051129267
Madeleine at the Nobel banquet in December 2006
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090021Z14447307051129267

Last edited:
Lilians frame looks like one I've seen on an old pic of Louise as a Crown princess

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Were the kings sisters not receive the royal family order of King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden?

Roger Lundgren has said it a few times at the broadcasts. But to me it looks that Sibylla's frame is the one Victoria has now. Victoria had the frame from her 18th birthday until the the king's 60th birthday in 2006, then Madeleine had it from the Nobels 2006 until the end of 2008. In March 2009 Victoria had that frame again has has it now.
Maybe the sisters changed portrait/frames for a while so that also Madeleine might wear her grandmother's frame for some years?

Madeleine on King's 60th birthday party in April 2006
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Madeleine at the Nobel banquet in December 2006
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Thanks LadyFinn for the confirmation, you certainly have a good memory! This is very intrigued, and quite remarkable that they have changed for a while.

Thanks,I wonder why we never see them wear the 2 Family orders together?

Could it be that in Sweden the wear only the Miniatur Porträit of the actual King?

That is since they change portrait to the current sovereign. It isn't a formal family order, just a decoration.

The King's Miniature Portrait is an unofficial "family order". For instance I have always thought that when Carl Gustaf became the king in 1973, the king's sisters took the old king's photo away from the frame and put the photo of their brother to the frame. There isn't any official list of those who have the miniature portrait.

I think that the custom is that only the portrait of the current king is worn. Btw, who started this tradition of wearing the King's portraits? I haven't seen Queen Desiree with one, but I think Queen Josephine did?

And I wonder what the future Queen Victoria will do? I don't think that she will wear her own portrait, and she can't continue to wear her fathers. But going without a family order will also look strange to me.

So its not like its British counterpart where recipients wear the various Royal Family Orders (George VI,Elizabeth II),it makes sense then that the photo is just replaced.

I think that the custom is that only the portrait of the current king is worn. Btw, who started this tradition of wearing the King's portraits? I haven't seen Queen Desiree with one, but I think Queen Josephine did?

And I wonder what the future Queen Victoria will do? I don't think that she will wear her own portrait, and she can't continue to wear her fathers. But going without a family order will also look strange to me.
Perhaps she will follow the example of Queen Margrethe who still wears the Portrait of her father. But i believe Princess Benedikte does the same. Don't think Queen Anne-Marie wear a danish Family order (Kings Portrait).

In Norway it is also a bit strange. Queen Sonja and pricness Märtha Louise used to wear King Olaf's Portrait during his reign. But since 1991 they only wear the Portait of King Harald. However Princess Astrid wears the Portrait's of her grandfather, father and brother.

Thank you so much for the collection of photos for the diamond frames.
Its often forgotten

as we see know there is 8 in used
silvia
Victoria
Sofia
Madeline

Margaretha
Birgitta
Desiree
Christina

Lilian - not in used
9 diamond frames what we know of

How about princess Ingrid of Sweden, later crown princess of denmark and queen of denmark
are there any better photos of her weraing a diamond frame?

later on we will see
Estelle
Leonore * maybe

Last edited:
Bernadotte Family Jewels

One thing I've noticed since this discussion started is that they don't all wear the same portrait - the Kings sisters, The Queen & Lilian have/had the same portrait but in different sizes (I guess since there's a difference in the size of the frames), Victoria & Madeleine have another portrait while Sofia have a third.

Last edited:
This one looks like the frame worn by Queen Victoria: 12 large dimonds with something on top that can't be clearly seen. The frame on the necklace looks more like a normal pendant to me, I don't think that it has a portrait.
One thing I've noticed since this discussion started is that they don't all wear the same portrait - the Kings sisters, The Queen & Lilian have/had the same portrait but in different sizes (I guess since there's a difference in the size of the frames), Victoria & Madeleine have another portrait while Sofia have a third.

I think that must be due to the different times when the ladies received their portraits. The King wedding was not too long after he ascended to the throne, so his looks hadn't changed much. By the time the daughters turned 18, a more recent portrait was used, and many years later a new one was used for Sofia.

But even so, Birgitta's and Desiree's orders show just the head from the colar upwards. Chritina's and Margareta's show the full breast of the King and the Queen's is somewhere in between.

Perhaps she will follow the example of Queen Margrethe who still wears the Portrait of her father. But i believe Princess Benedikte does the same. Don't think Queen Anne-Marie wear a danish Family order (Kings Portrait).

In Norway it is also a bit strange. Queen Sonja and pricness Märtha Louise used to wear King Olaf's Portrait during his reign. But since 1991 they only wear the Portait of King Harald. However Princess Astrid wears the Portrait's of her grandfather, father and brother.

I think that Queen Anne-Marie wears her father's portrait on occasions in Denmark.

So it seems like all Nordic countries have different ways to handle their Family orders/miniature portraits:
Denmark You continue to wear the portrait you once received. However we'll see how that turns out when Frederik accedes to the throne, I guess Mary will wear Frederik's portrait.
Norway You receive a new order/portrait for every new sovereign, but you could decide by your self what orders/portraits you wear.
Sweden You simple replace the portrait of the old sovereign with the new one.

Victoria may wear her fathers one or simply not wear one at all!

I think that Queen Anne-Marie wears her father's portrait on occasions in Denmark.

So it seems like all Nordic countries have different ways to handle their Family orders/miniature portraits:
Denmark You continue to wear the portrait you once received. However we'll see how that turns out when Frederik accedes to the throne, I guess Mary will wear Frederik's portrait.
Norway You receive a new order/portrait for every new sovereign, but you could decide by your self what orders/portraits you wear.
Sweden You simple replace the portrait of the old sovereign with the new one.

What about Queen Ingrid? She later wore the Portrait of King Frederik IX. but i don't know if she also wore a Family Order as Crown princess. Because that would then have been her father-in-law.

I didn't find a good pic from the early yeas of Ingrid's marriage, but this is before her wedding. She wears her father's family order with the Swedish court dress.
View image: ingrid turquoise bandeau
Imo it could be the same frame as Princess Birgitta wears now.

I always wonder about the different ways the ribbon is worn with the order. Is there a certain rule behind it? Queen Silvia's and Victoria's ribbon are always bound as a cross as I have noticed several times.

Very interesting thread.
Princess Sofia wears the order with the King as He is looking now !

I always wonder about the different ways the ribbon is worn with the order. Is there a certain rule behind it? Queen Silvia's and Victoria's ribbon are always bound as a cross as I have noticed several times.
It looks as if the shape of the ribbon bow is also a way to distinguish the two most important ladies at the court.

Here is a blurry pic of CP Margaret wearing hers at the coronation coronation of King George V in 1911.
View image: cp Margaret

I might be mistaken, but this pic of Queen Louise of Denmark, born Princess of Sweden, looks like she is wearing both the Danish and the Swedish portraits. Could that be?
View image: Louise Denmark

I didn't find a good pic from the early yeas of Ingrid's marriage, but this is before her wedding. She wears her father's family order with the Swedish court dress.
View image: ingrid turquoise bandeau
Imo it could be the same frame as Princess Birgitta wears now.

the only photos I have of Ingrid before she became Queen seem to have her wearing both her father's portrait & Christian's portrait. The only other photos I have of her in gala in the 1930s, she's not wearing any family orders. It also looked like she might be wearing her father's portrait on the day she became Queen. It also looks like she only wore her father's portrait for George's Coronation in 1937. After she became Queen, she only seemed to wear it for Swedish events.

Wedding Event 1935
Christian Silver Jubilee 1937
George Coronation
Gustaf Adolf 80th birthday 1938
Official Photo (supposedly circa 1948)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom