Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tliia, but I should have more informations about Prince Carl jewels heirloom from Princess Ingeborg.

Countess Kristine Bernadotte tiaras

Thanks Tliia, but I should have more informations about Prince Carl jewels heirloom from Princess Ingeborg.
I think I understood you, but I needed more time to go through my notes on Countess Kristine's and Princess Ingeborg's jewels. It seems that there is not much known about the jewels Prince Carl inherited from his mother.

Princess Ingeborg's diamond tiara
To my knowledge Countess Kristine has worn two different tiaras.
This is a comparison picture of the Countess at Prince Haakon’s 18th birthday and her mother-in-law Princess Ingeborg. Unfortunately the picture quality is too bad to be 100% sure. But I still think that it is the same tiara.
View image: bernadotte kristine ingeborg

This tiara diamond tiara of Princess Ingeborg was also worn several times by Countess Ruth of Rosenborg. For example in this group photo from the 1950s.
View image: rosenborg group
The tiara was a loan from Princess Ingeborg who died in 1958. Then Prince Carl inherited this tiara. At that time he was already married to his 2nd wife, Countess Anne. I have never seen a picture of her wearing any tiara.

Then there is also this picture of a somewhat older Countess Ruth of Rosenborg wearing the tiara. Maybe this was during the years between the 2nd and the 3rd marriages, when Carl was single and therefore loaned the tiara to his niece-in-law Ruth?
View image: rosenborg ruth diamond

This tiara hasn't been seen in a long time. I have read several times that Prince Carl has sold it, although I don't know the source for this information. That means it is very, very unlikely that the tiara is still in the family and that Countess Madeleine might wear it:cool:.

Countess Kristine's Tiara
And this is a picture of Countess Christine at the wedding of Haakon & Mette-Marit. Definitely a different tiara but I don’t know anything about it.
View image: bernadotte kristine 2001

She probably wore the same tiara at King Harald’s birthday in 2007. But I have not seen better quality pictures than this:
View image: bernadotte kristine 2007

If this tiara was owned by the Countess and not a loan, then maybe it has now passed to Countess Madeleine. I'd love to see her at the upcoming wedding wearing it.

How I wish that we might find out more! But maybe we will, next month...

Thanks for your great Work , we will wait and see..

Princess Ingeborg's jewels are so important because She is our King Albert II Grand Mother

There is a nice story, the day of Princess Astrid 's Wedding in Brussels (second wedding) she enterred the Cathedral with her Father She wore no necklace and on the Family Group She wore a pendant on her wedding dress , a present of her parents (thanks to the GREMB board fine eyes)

When she married Princess Astrid had not a lot personal jewels and received wedding presents from Stockholm and Belgium .

When Josephine Charlotte was born (1927) she received from King Albert I and Queen Elisabeth a Shoker with a big emerald inhertited by Josephine Charlotte and worn by the actuel Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

When Baudouin (1930) the future King was born She received from King Albert I and Queen Elisabeth an Emerald tiara and necklace , worn after by Princess Lilian and never seen again ! Where are they???

When Albert (1934)was born, Astrid received Queen Elisabeth 's personal deco tiara given in 1960 (King Baudouin's wedding) to Paola Princess of Liege.

When Queen Astrid died the 3 Orphans went on holiday to their grand parents's home in Sweden. Then WW2, Leopold second wedding during the War, his Exile an Abdication , Princess Ingeborg never came to Begium anymore.

Princess ingeborg was seen at Josephine Charlotte's Wedding.

A few years ago , Coutau Begarie / Paris sold at their Auction items from the late Prince and Princess Axel of Denmark :
Prince Axel row of Decorations :3500 euros
Princess Margaretha fake tiara : 695 euros
And I bought a small silver note-book with "I" and a Crown and a little silver pencil 600 euros + 25 %.....

Last edited:
I think I understood you, but I needed more time to go through my notes on Countess Kristine's and Princess Ingeborg's jewels. It seems that there is not much known about the jewels Prince Carl inherited from his mother.

Princess Ingeborg's diamond tiara
To my knowledge Countess Kristine has worn two different tiaras.
This is a comparison picture of the Countess at Prince Haakon’s 18th birthday and her mother-in-law Princess Ingeborg. Unfortunately the picture quality is too bad to be 100% sure. But I still think that it is the same tiara.
View image: bernadotte kristine ingeborg

This tiara diamond tiara of Princess Ingeborg was also worn several times by Countess Ruth of Rosenborg. For example in this group photo from the 1950s.
View image: rosenborg group
The tiara was a loan from Princess Ingeborg who died in 1958. Then Prince Carl inherited this tiara. At that time he was already married to his 2nd wife, Countess Anne. I have never seen a picture of her wearing any tiara.

Then there is also this picture of a somewhat older Countess Ruth of Rosenborg wearing the tiara. Maybe this was during the years between the 2nd and the 3rd marriages, when Carl was single and therefore loaned the tiara to his niece-in-law Ruth?
View image: rosenborg ruth diamond

This tiara hasn't been seen in a long time. I have read several times that Prince Carl has sold it, although I don't know the source for this information. That means it is very, very unlikely that the tiara is still in the family and that Countess Madeleine might wear it:cool:.

Countess Kristine's Tiara
And this is a picture of Countess Christine at the wedding of Haakon & Mette-Marit. Definitely a different tiara but I don’t know anything about it.
View image: bernadotte kristine 2001

She probably wore the same tiara at King Harald’s birthday in 2007. But I have not seen better quality pictures than this:
View image: bernadotte kristine 2007

If this tiara was owned by the Countess and not a loan, then maybe it has now passed to Countess Madeleine. I'd love to see her at the upcoming wedding wearing it.

How I wish that we might find out more! But maybe we will, next month...

Are there any opics from Princess Kristine at Princess Märtha Louise's Wedding. Unfortunately one can barely see the tiaras on her as they are buried in her hair.

Are there any opics from Princess Kristine at Princess Märtha Louise's Wedding. Unfortunately one can barely see the tiaras on her as they are buried in her hair.
:sad:Yes, really difficult to see the tiaras in her hair. I don't think that Countess Kristine was at Märtha-Louise's wedding because she is not on the group picture. Both Madeleine Kogevinas and Countess Ruth are on the picture, so Kristine should have been there as well if she had attended.

:sad:Yes, really difficult to see the tiaras in her hair. I don't think that Countess Kristine was at Märtha-Louise's wedding because she is not on the group picture. Both Madeleine Kogevinas and Countess Ruth are on the picture, so Kristine should have been there as well if she had attended.

She was not on the guest list.
NRK.no - Prinsessebryllupet

I don't know why but i don't like this tiara.

I agree with you An Ard Ri about the history of this tiara it is amazing. Also agree for the use this tiara from only the Queen like the Belgium has the Nine Provinces tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its one of my Bernadotte Family favourites given its history but I can understand why so many do not like it.I really wish that that RF would just reserve this tiara for use by the queen only.

I used to dislike this tiara and I had hope that Victoria would not wear it at her wedding. But then Victoria looked so immensely beautiful with it that it reconciled me. Actually I was very disappointed that Madeleine didn't wear it at her wedding.

Now I adore this tiara also because of it's history and because it is so unusual and special in it's materials and looks. You know, variety is the salt of life!

Originally List Posted by Rascal

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only (thank goodness!) by CP Victoria

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)

4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria, Margaretha

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure:
Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara), Madeleine (w tiara)

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler, Christina

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it ), Silvia, CP Victoria also worn the necklace 2013

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria

Leuchtenberg Parure:
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Tiara:
Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria (pendants as necklace only). Birgitta

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (now owned by Christina):
Christina

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara (now owned by Desiree):
Louise, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian, Victoria (owner)

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian (given to silvia who has yet to be worn)

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine

Small cut steel tiara
Victoria

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together.

Didn't Desiree wear the Steel Cut Tiara to Madeleine's wedding? And I think she has worn Queen Josephine's Amethyst Tiara too.

Last edited:
Countess Karin , Prince Carl third wife owns also one or two tiaras.
and Coutness Gunilla tiars ?
Great list , thanks for sharing .

Wachtmeister pearl tiara

Thank you Josefine! I had forgotten to continue with my little series on the lesser known Bernadotte tiaras. So here is the small pearl and diamond tiara of Countess Gunilla Bernadotte, second wife of the late count Carl Johan Bernadotte.

View image: Wachtmeister pearl tiara
This tiara originates from her own family, it once belonged to her mother Märtha Wachtmeister. To me this tiara looks like one of these aigrette tiaras which were popular at the beginning of the 20th century and were worn with lavish feathers attached to them.

To my knowledge Countess Gunilla has never been seen with another tiara. She has never worn the tiara which Carl Johan’s first wife has worn, and which might have been a Bernadotte heirloom. But then, not every late likes to wear the jewels of her husband’s previous wives.

The first pic is a bit older and the second pic is from Madeleine’s wedding in 2013.
View image: gunilla bernadotte 1
View image: gunilla bernadotte 2

Updated Jewel Wearer List

I have updated this post with more finds. New finds are in red. Questions I have about previously listed finds are in Green
Originally List Posted by Rascal

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only (thank goodness!) by CP Victoria

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)

4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria, Margaretha (When was this? I cannot find any photo of her wearing it), Desiree

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure:
Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara), Madeleine (w tiara)

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler, Christina

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:

Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it ), Silvia, CP Victoria also worn the necklace 2013

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria

Leuchtenberg Parure:
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Tiara:
Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria (pendants as necklace only). Birgitta

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (now owned by Christina):
Christina

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara (now owned by Desiree):
Louise, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian, Victoria (owner)

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian (given to silvia who has yet to be worn)

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine

Small cut steel tiara
Victoria

Karl XIV Johan's Earrings
Q Lovisa, Louise, Lilian, Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Cluster Earrings

Queen Josefina's Stomacher Earrings

13 Strand Pearl Choker
Q Victoria, Christina, Silvia, Madeleine

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together.

Last edited:
Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria, Margaretha (When was this? I cannot find any photo of her wearing it), Desiree
I think that is a mistake. Afaik Margaretha never wore the cut steel tiara.

Countess Karin , Prince Carl third wife owns also one or two tiaras.
and Coutness Gunilla tiars ?
Great list , thanks for sharing .
I am not sure whom you mean. Afaik Prince Carl-Johan was married twice and Gunilla was his second wife. His first wife Kerstin is seen here at the pre-wedding of Carl Gustaf and Silvia. The tiara can also be worn as a necklace. I don't know of any other tiara being worn by her.
View image: bernadotte kerstin

edit: name corrected

Last edited:
I am not sure whom you mean. Afaik Prince Carl was married twice and Gunilla was his second wife. His first wife Kerstin is seen here at the pre-wedding of Carl Gustaf and Silvia. The tiara can also be worn as a necklace. I don't know of any other tiara being worn by her.
View image: bernadotte kerstin

You're confusing Carl Bernadotte with his cousin Carl-Johan Bernadotte who was the one married to Kerstin and Gunnila.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm sorry you're right! Carl Jr's third wife was Kristine. To make things a bit more complicated yet another of that set of cousins, Lennart married a woman named Karin. I think that covers it all ;)
Between them the six Bernadotte princes of that generation together totalled at twelve wives. A figure that's even more noticeable considering that two of them stayed married to the same woman all their life.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Countess Karin Bernadotte

Luckily it is nearly impossible to confuse the name 'Lennart' with the name 'Carl';). But since you mention this Karin, first wife of Lennart Berndotte, here she is. I have never seen this tiara in any other photo. It's not one of the two tiaras which the children of Count Lennart still own. Does anybody here know more?
View image: beradotte karin

Sorry , I confused Karin, Count Lennart's second wife and Kristine Count Carl third wife!
Next Saturday , I want to see if Madeleine Bernadotte will wear the von Rosen's tiara (her Mother) or Princess Ingeborg's tiara ( her Grandmother) since Countess Kristine passed away.

Tiaras and jewels the King's sisters wore at the wedding:

1 2

I assume this is the first time Birgitta is wearing the Baden Fringe tiara. I am disappointed that no one wore the amethyst tiara. I would have loved if Christina wore it as she wore the Six Button tiara at Victoria and Madeleine's weddings.

I suppose yesterday is the day of the tiaras of Bernadotte family. They see almost all the tiaras plus a new.

Birgitta wore Diamond braclets i would have loved to see more close up, and also her earings.

I hoped that someone would wear anything from princess Lilians jewlery box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom