Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There hasn't been so many occasions to use big jewellery, but during the last 2 years Victoria has had these, and I think that she wears big jewellery well.

I agree that she wears big jewellery very well but I wish she could start to incorporate more of it into her "daily wear". She could most certainly pull it off.
Amongst the other crown princesses I feel only Camilla and to some extent Mary uses big jewellery outside of white tie events.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree that she wears big jewellery very well but I wish she could start to incorporate more of it into her "daily wear". She could most certainly pull it off.

If Occasion calls, then she wears big jewelry..... and I even have the Impression, she uses more Grand jewelry during the last 2 years then ever before.

BTW, wearing big bling costume jewelry during gay Gala is EXACTLY the right choice for a gay gala.......
BYe Bine

I was wondering if the Diamond Serpent Bracelet was worn by anyone besides Lilian and Princess Margaret.

Queen Josephina's necklace @ auction would make a great wedding present for his majesty's new DIL. He could even buy it at auction to enter it into the family foundation and present /loan it to Sofia for life, so that way it goes back to the collection at her death

Queen Josephina's necklace @ auction would make a great wedding present for his majesty's new DIL. He could even buy it at auction to enter it into the family foundation and present /loan it to Sofia for life, so that way it goes back to the collection at her death

If the king did buy it I'm sure he'd want to keep it in the main line so the foundation would be a safer bet than gifting it to Sofia and then have it ending up on another auction in the future.

I think that the stone is different in Sibylla's and Margaretha's earrings.
Another photo of Sibylla's
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

I was wondering if princess Margaretha's earrings are these which she wore at Madeleine's wedding

I think that the stone is different in Sibylla's and Margaretha's earrings.
Another photo of Sibylla's

I was wondering if princess Margaretha's earrings are these which she wore at Madeleine's wedding

I think you are right. Margaretha seems to have worn these earrings a lot... You look at any photo of her from around 1962 and these earrings are the ones she seems to be wearing. (I did a google search for "Prinsessan Margaretha 1962" and a lot of the photos appear to have these earrings).

Queen Josefinas pearlnecklace up for sale
Magnificent Jewels | Sotheby's

arthur posted this at Royal Jewels of the World Message Board
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Queen Josefina of Sweden's pearl necklace to be sold at auction

there are some post about this necklace at
thought it would be fun the read them again
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/swedish-royal-jewels-of-the-past-515-9.html

A Sotheby's employee shows a natural pearl necklace of historical importance, formerly in the collection of Josephine de Beauharnais, Queen of Sweden and Norway (1807 - 1876), which is estimated to sell between 800,000 to 1,400,000 US Dollar, during a preview at Sotheby's, in Geneva, Switzerland, Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2014. The auction will take place in Geneva, on Nov. 12, 2014.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010030011S14153663201553954
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010030021S14153663201553954
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010030031S14153663201553954

In July 2013 Kungliga Magasinet published an article about Queen Sofia's Diadem. I have tried to translate it to the best of my abilities below.

"According to art historian, former head of the Bernadotte Library, and jewel expert Göran Alm,Queen Sofia's diadem was mentioned for the first time in 1872, in the estate inventory after King Charles XV. The origin of the piece is not fixed but it may very well be that it has come to be through the installation of a jewel comb Karl XVI Johan took. The diadem we know today has a fan pattern, surrounded by växtrankor that are framed by arches. In the nine peaks is large solitaires of diamonds. The tiara is made up of more than 500 diamonds and sparkles therefore tremendously. Göran Alm believes that the jewelry is made sometime between 1859 and 1872, ex. during Karl XV's reign as king. There is a photograph from the 1860s to his wife, Queen Lovisa dressed in Swedish court dress and the jewel comb that you believe is the base of Queen Sofia's tiara.

As Oscar II and his Sophia had to fill the role of Crown Prince during Karl XV's reign, it was important that the Princess Sofia had jewelry to wear on special occasions. Her favorite jewelry was beautiful brilliant diadem. When Sofia was then Queen her husband inherited the Leuchtenbergska sapphires and an Emerald tiara by his mother Queen Josefina. Sapphires came to be used frequently by their daughter in law Crown Princess Victoria and emeralds by Prince Carl's wife, Princess Ingeborg. Today, there is the diadem of the Norwegian royal family where it ended up, through inheritance. But Queen Sofia himself preferred to wear their diamond tiara, which is why it is now named after her.

Unlike the well known sapphires and the magnificent Brazilian crown is Queen Sofia diadem not articulated. This means that the jewel is stuck on a rail which may mean that it is inconvenient to give bärarinnorna headache. But the Swedish royals do not seem to find Sofia's diamond tiara an inconvenience because it has been using frequently over the years. After Queen Sofia's death, it took some time before the piece was begun re-used. It was only after the Lady Louise Mountbatten married Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf in 1923 that the Swedish people got to see the tiara again. Louise thought a lot of the jewelry and wore it often, both as Crown Princess as well as Queen. After her death in 1965, the tiara stay in her casket for a time. Princess Sibylla never wore it in her role of First Lady. The first time you could see Queen Silvia wearing the diadem was at the Nobel Banquet in 1976 and since then, the jewelry used very frequently by the Queen in gala occasions. Not only in the Nobel festivities, but also during state visits and royal party. But it is not just Queen Silvia who has worn Sofia's tiara during Carl XVI Gustaf's reign. Princess Lilian borrowed it a couple of times and even the king's sisters have been wearing it. Princess Christina wore it at the Danish state visit in 1973 (which was Gustaf VI Adolf yet king), Princess Margartha used diadem night before the royal couple's wedding in 1976, while Princess Birgitta wore the jewel at the Crown Princess' wedding in 2010. Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine has never worn Queen Sofia diadem without it seems to be reserved for their Queen, mother.

A Sotheby's employee shows a natural pearl necklace of historical importance, formerly in the collection of Josephine de Beauharnais, Queen of Sweden and Norway (1807 - 1876), which is estimated to sell between 800,000 to 1,400,000 US Dollar, during a preview at Sotheby's, in Geneva, Switzerland, Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2014. The auction will take place in Geneva, on Nov. 12, 2014.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010030011S14153663201553954
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010030021S14153663201553954
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010030031S14153663201553954

Oh how I wish for the King to buy it and bring it back into the family although I suspect it might not be a good PR-move to spend so much money on jewellery in the middle of a recession.

i wonder what photo lovisa is wearing a comb that could be the bace for queen Sofias tiara

this one?

Do we know who bought it or are they anonymous?

Here is another article about the History of a Jewel from Kungliga Magasinet that I have tried to translate to the best of my ability:

Queen Josefina, who was the wife of King Oscar I, brought with her an enormous treasure in the form of jewels and gems when she arrived in Sweden after the couple's wedding in 1823. Since Josefina's grandmother was Napoleon's wife Empress Josefina, her family had a very extensive jewel collection. One of the pieces of jewelry that Josefina brought to Sweden consisted of amethysts and diamonds.
Amethyst has long been one of the most popular gemstones. The violet colored gemstone was popular in the Middle Ages and later during the Renaissance, it was then a new popularity in the 1800s empire - and nyrokokosmycken.
After Queen Josefina's death in 1876 could be in her probate find a collection ametistjuveler consisting of necklace, earrings, brooch, and two bracelets. These included also a knocker, a pendant, which could be attached to the necklace. The purple stones are large, keeps an extremely high quality and are surrounded by diamonds. The jewelery bequeathed Queen Josefina to his grandson, later King Gustaf V and when he married the late German Princess Victoria of Baden in September 1881 he handed over the gift of her grandmother's beautiful amethysts.
It assumes that the Victoria wore amethysts on several occasions but there is no photographic evidence of this. A person, however who often wore the jewelry was her daughter in law, Gustaf VI Adolf's second wife, Queen Louise. Gustaf V and Queen Victoria made sure to incorporate amethysts in the Bernadotte family Foundation for jewels. The purpose of the foundation was to ensure that the jewelry stayed in Sweden instead of ending up in other royal families in connection with the princesses married into foreign royal families. Many of the jewelry found in the Danish and Norwegian royal families derived for example from the Swedish Queen Josefina.
The Swedish royal ladies often wear the exquisitely beautiful amethysts but actually in a different way than Queen Josefina did. In the late 1970s Queen Silvia created a diadem of the large collar. A silver position was derived that the necklace could be attached to and thus had a new diadem seen the light of the Swedish royal family. The Queen personally found the necklace was too big to carry around your neck and that it would instead be a good tiara. The pendant is shaped like a crown, a closed diadem, and the Queen has worn it many times on the Nobel festivals, state visits and royal family gatherings. The two bracelets could merge into a necklace, and the Queen has often attached pendant, striker, who has always been a part of amethysts jewels.
Crown Princess Victoria has also worn the amethysts many times, and Princess Madeleine first premiered the jewelery at the Nobel Banquet in 2012. The king's sisters, Princesses Margaretha, Desiree and Christina have also borrowed the amethysts through the years, but never used by Princess Lilian, the violet stones. In future certainly Princess Estelle use at Queen Josefina exquisite amethyst. This will be linked to the royal history together.

here is a new find for me
Silvia wearing one of the 2 buttons as a brosch there are 10 buttons 4 in the 4 button tiara 6 in the 6 button tiara. i have seen the buttons not used in tiara as a pendents used by lilian madeleine and victoria

This photo is from the 1987 State Visit to Iceland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom