Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There seem to be a lot of stories about the family buying back old jewels which seems a bit odd given that they have no shortage of jewels, there is a decrease in the number of occassions to wear them, and the family is not supposed to be especially rich at least compared to other reigning families.

Because of her tragic young death Margaret of Connaught almost has a saint like status in the Swedish RF. If the aquamarine kokoshnik actually
is part of her collection I can't imagine it being sold off to a party outside the family.

If it actually did belong Margaret? I see that 'Royal order of sartorial splendor' credits this tiara to her!. Can anyone cornfirm this please? Is it
a piece she brought along from the British RF collection, is it a wedding present or was it already in the Swedish RF collection when she married
in 1905?

You see, somehow I can't imagine even a young import like Sibylla wearing a tiara associated with the late princess as early as 1932. It would have been sacriledge!

As for the finances of the Swedish RF: They're supposedly by far the richest of the three Scandinavian royal families! I have never heard nor read anything else! Besides if you can host a pre wedding dinner (Madeleine & Chris) in a posh Stockholm hotel for 350 people - in spite of having at least two castles at your disposal - then you're not exactly cash strapped:)!

I understand that Sibylla, Margaret Amblers's daughter has married into old German nobility. If I'm not mistaken they still appreciate a good tiara event.

viv

Last edited:
:previous: I believe CP Margaret's turquoise bandeau had already been used before that date - from a large picture I ve found on the Web, it seems that Princess Martha borrowed it and wore it on her sister Astrid's wedding back in 1926 . And I thought that Ingrid's portait with the veil , tha bandeau and the court dress was taken when she was 18?

...if you can host a pre wedding dinner (Madeleine & Chris) in a posh Stockholm hotel for 350 people - in spite of having at least two castles at your disposal - then you're not exactly cash strapped :)!
If the event at the hotel is the rehearsal dinner Chris' family is paying for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the event at the hotel is the rehearsal dinner Chris' family is paying for it.

I'm referring to the dinner on the eve of the wedding at Grand Hotel in Stockholm. According to the SRF website it's being hosted by the King and Queen, so I suppose they pick up the bill as well... :)!

viv

Tiaras of CP Margaret of Sweden

Which tiaras did Margaret of Connaught (1882-1920) bring into the marriage with (crown)prince Gustav Adolph of Sweden? I know about the Khedive of Egypt tiara by Cartier, which was a wedding gift. It was inherited by her daughter Princess Ingrid, who later bequeathed it to her daughter, the former Queen of the Hellenes. But what other tiaras were there?

viv

She had several tiaras:
- Khedive of Egypt diamond tiara - Anna Maria of Greece
- small diamond and turquise daisy tiara - Margarethe II of Denmark
- Edward VII diamond ruby tiara/necklace - King Carl Gustav
- Connaught diamond tiara/necklace - King Carl Gustav
- Princess Lilian used to wear laur wreath tiara made from princess Margaret necklace and I don't if it was worn in this way by Margaret of Connaught.
As a crown princess of Swden she probably had access to some jewels from Bernadotte Foundation f. ex. Baden Fringe tiara.

(click to enlarge)
I made a little panel to show with which tiaras she was ever photographed:
- the cameo parure
- emerald parure (now worn by Queen Sonja of Norway)
- her wedding gift tiara from the Khedive of Egypt
- her wedding gift tiara from her parents

It's a pity that she was never pictured with any of her other tiaras.
It is also said that the aquamarine tiara which was often worn by Princess Sybilla, and which than was given to the King's sister Princess Margareta, did also belong to CP Margareta. But I have never seen a creditable source for this assumption. Does anybody of you here know more about it?

(click to enlarge)
It is also said that the aquamarine tiara which was often worn by Princess Sybilla, and which than was given to the King's sister Princess Margareta, did also belong to CP Margareta. But I have never seen a creditable source for this assumption. Does anybody of you here know more about it?

Exactly, it was up in another thread (old Swedish jewels); apparently the Order of royal splendor site attributed the aquamarine tiara to CP Margaret, later worn by Princess Sibylla and her daughter Princess Margaretha. You never know for certain of course, but I doubt that any jewellery "imported" by Margaret of Connaught would have been worn by a newcomer twelve years after her death.

Thanks Tilia and Andrew! Can we assume that she arrived in Stockholm with three tiaras in her suitcase - four with the turqoise bandeau?? _ and was using whatever she was allowed to wear from the Swedish collection, such as the Cameo and the emeralds, now owned by the Norwegian RF.

viv

I have read the assumption about CP Margaret as the original owner a couple of times before it appeared on Order of Royal Splendor. According to my notes, it was mentioned on RJWMB, and other places, around the time of Victoria and Daniel's wedding. So I believe that Order of Splendor is just repeating things that have been around the net before. But noone ever mentioned a source for it.

And why shouldn't Sibylla have received a tiara of CP Margaret as a wedding present? After all, she was marrying her eldest son, the heir. She was an equal match (a Princess from a formely raining house). And the marriage was years before WWII and the ensuing resentment against this German Princess.

Just an assumption: if GA had inherited the aquamarine tiara from his mother, wouldn't it be just natural that he'd give it to his wife at their wedding. Why wait? The new Crown Princess had to represent her new country right from the start. She needed jewellery.

Also, Ingrid inherited her mother's turquoise tiara. It was loaned to Princess Märtha as early as 1926, and nobody seemed to bother.

And why shouldn't Sibylla have received a tiara of CP Margaret as a wedding present? After all, she was marrying her eldest son, the heir. She was an equal match (a Princess from a formely raining house). And the marriage was years before WWII and the ensuing resentment against this German Princess.

Tilia, I wasn't even remotely thinking of any resentment because of Sibyllas nationality! I know that we're talking 1932 and thereabout :)! No, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I doubt that Margarets private jewellery would have been worn by a newcomer princess. Princess Ingrid hung onto it for dear life as the guardian of her mother's legacy! Maybe Margaret's four sons inherited other pieces of her jewellery. I don't know!
Any SRF jewellery formerly worn by CP Margaret is a different story, Sibylla would have been entitled to that! The Swedes probably had enough tiaras to go around

viv

(click to enlarge)

On the photo with the emerald parure, it seems to me that she is wearing the pendants of the Connaught tiara as earrings, like Madeleine does these days. Does anyone else sees it? :)

Tilia, I wasn't even remotely thinking of any resentment because of Sibyllas nationality!
I didn't mean that comment as criticism or anything. It's only that I know that in later years there were certain reservations against her. Maybe I got carried away because I was excited this interesting discussion :flowers:.

Ingrid was very attached to anything connected to her beloved mother. But still she loaned the turquoise bandeau to her cousin Märtha twice.

Anyway: my main interest is to learn if the tiara really once belonged to Margaret, or if that is just a rumour.

Last edited:
I guess this can be updated

This is a copy of a post from Queen Silvia's jewelry thread, part 2. I believe it belongs here but I am posting in both just in case. Perhaps the moderators can decide and shift them for me? :flowers:

Now that the Swedish wedding has come and gone...and with the discussions of late about the Swedish Royal Jewelry (I'll still be posting other questions), information about who has worn what items in the Swedish collection has changed and needs an update. I've tried to limit it to people with supporting photographic or portrait evidence of the pieces in question as some painters in the 18th and early 19th centuries used artistic license and some of the depictions are questionable. Here is what I can come up with - feel free to add or correct as needed:

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only (thank goodness!) by CP Victoria

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)

4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria, Margaretha

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure:
Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara), Madeleine (w tiara)

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it :)), Silvia, CP Victoria

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria

Leuchtenberg Parure:
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Tiara:
Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria (pendants as necklace only). Birgitta

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (now owned by Christina):
Christina

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara (now owned by Desiree):
Louise, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian, Victoria

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together.

Rascal

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

When did Queen Sofia wear the necklace?

Is that a robe I see on her? From her husbands family?
That train is part of the traditional Swedish court dress. The use of these court dresses was abolished when Karl Gustave became king.

The diamond bandeau is a meander bracelet from the Swedish royal Family. It was also worn by Princess Birgitta.

i think its a diffivoult item to wear if not donated it may be a good jewllery to show at the royal palace livrustkammaren

i think its a diffivoult item to wear if not donated it may be a good jewllery to show at the royal palace livrustkammaren
I agree with you. The set looks very dated. At the time of the donation there probably was no royal lady who was keen on wearing such an “outdated” parure. So I’m glad that it is in a museum now, that’s much better then selling it off, don’t you agree?

Well, times change. What at a certain time seemed old fashioned, would nowadays be seen as historical, and combining the the old parure with a modern evening dress would probably hailed aspost-modern. I’m sure that Queen Silvia would have been absolutely capable of pulling it off. She could make it look stunning. But at the time of Queen Sofia’s death, probably nobody would have thought this to be possible.

Is there not a item in Denmark that lookthe same but with other colours

Is there not a item in Denmark that lookthe same but with other colours
Yes, there is! The lava parure has cameos carved out of lava stone, set in gold. Afaik Queen Sofia left it to her daughter Princess Ingeborg, whose daughter Margareta married Prinz Axel of Denmark.
http://s22.postimg.org/4unhv9nrl/lava_parure.jpg
- 1. Princess Ingeborg's daughter-in-law Princess Anne, wife of Prince Georg of Denmark
- 2. Her sister-in-law Countess Ruth of Rosenborg
- 3 and Countess Ruth’s daughter Countess Désirée

Yes, there is! The lava parure has cameos carved out of lava stone, set in gold. Afaik Queen Sofia left it to her daughter Princess Ingeborg, whose daughter Margareta married Prinz Axel of Denmark.
http://s22.postimg.org/4unhv9nrl/lava_parure.jpg
- 1. Princess Ingeborg's daughter-in-law Princess Anne, wife of Prince Georg of Denmark
- 2. Her sister-in-law Countess Ruth of Rosenborg
- 3 and Countess Ruth’s daughter Countess Désirée

That is an interesting tiara! Looks like a button tiara... Not to my liking, but interesting to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom