Semi-Precious Royal Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RubyPrincess168 said:
...I'm not too found of turqouise in major jewelry pieces though. I think it looks odd - I guess I associate it too closely with the Southwest & Native American style jewelry...

For me it all depends upon the setting. I like the turquoise and diamond tiara that was owned by Princess Margaret as well as the parure that Queen Mary gave to Princess Alice. But I do know what you mean about the Southwestern style jewelry.:sick:

The southwestern and/or American Indian type of Turquoise has dark specks in it. In my opinion it I prefer the Persian Turquoise which is a beautiful blue.

Well, pant, slurp and drool. Here I go again. Just lovely. I have never been wild about turquoises but this has caused me to change my mind. Normally the only things that loosen up my mental rigidity are wine and chocolate. But I have always wished they had used sapphires in place of spinels in the Bagration parurue. It is such an incredible design.

Arent there some Iranian tiaras made of turquoise??? As for Amethysts are just wonderful, no matter how inexpensive they may be. I suspect if you discovered a huge deposit of rubies, all of enormous size the price of that would come crashing to the ground in short order too. Then maybe I could afford a nice ruby paurure or better-or should I say safer-still a ruby aigrette. Perhaps we should do a thread on royal hat pins and aigrettes. Cheers.

Is there any famous royal jewellery with tanzanite in it? Or is it too modern?

If my memory serves me tanzanite is a quite recent modern innovation or discovery from the 1970s (?) and hence would not have had enough time to be a part of famous jewelry. Also I do not know if it is considered a precious or semi-precious stone. Personally I find it a bit too garish, but that is a matter of personal preference. There is, I understand, only one source for the stone, located naturally in Tanzania. Cheers.

michelleq said:
The southwestern and/or American Indian type of Turquoise has dark specks in it. In my opinion it I prefer the Persian Turquoise which is a beautiful blue.

The amount of veining and flecks in the turquoise has more to do with its quality than the location it was found. There is quite a bit of Native American jewellery that employs native turquoise as unmarred as that of persia. HOWEVER, the varied coloration is often prized by collectors of southwestern jewellery for its more rustic look. Much depends on the jeweller and the style of the piece desired.

Has anybody ever seen a royal or a picture of a royal wearing Native American or Southwestern style jewelry?

If my memory serves me tanzanite is a quite recent modern innovation or discovery from the 1970s (?) and hence would not have had enough time to be a part of famous jewelry. Also I do not know if it is considered a precious or semi-precious stone. Personally I find it a bit too garish, but that is a matter of personal preference. There is, I understand, only one source for the stone, located naturally in Tanzania. Cheers.

I think Tanznaite was discovered in Tanzania in 1967. I can't remember if it was Tiffany or Harry Winston that bought the mine so to speak and originally you could only buy it from them.
I would love to see some pictures of Tanzanite or Alexandrite.:flowers:

I was just wondering, has anyone ever seen Elizabeth II wearing opals? Or anyone other member of the BRF?

The women in my family love opals, and you would think that Australia has probably given the BRF some good examples of them.

I was just wondering, has anyone ever seen Elizabeth II wearing opals? Or anyone other member of the BRF?

The women in my family love opals, and you would think that Australia has probably given the BRF some good examples of them.

Iowabelle: Here you go:

The Andamooka Opal

The brooch HRH The Duchess of Cornwall wore on the first day of Ascot this year:

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7904/is14426149hw8.jpg

This is the best pic I could find; there is still some discussion as to what the stone is. The top contenders are garnet, Mandarin Garnet, Orange Sapphire, and something else--can't remember. But, this is one impressive brooch!

Last edited by a moderator:
O dear, the Austrail Gall Stone horror appears once again. I for one do not care for opals so you will pardon my prejudice. Australia, except for all those unfortunates suffering from the disorder of republicanism and other unpleasant life forms of the spider, crocodile and serpent variety is a marvelous country which produces fabulous wines and sigh, opals. Of course I do understand black opals can be magnificent. Who am I to argue. I do wish they would just carve the thing up into something-in the infamous phrase of Imelda Marcos-"more wearable." They could even use it, cut up into small pieces, for a tiara. I would note that the magnificent Oriental Diadem originally was set with opals which Queen Alexandra had replaced with rubies. Cheers.

I was going to mention the Oriental Diadem with Opals but you beat me too it. I wonder what ever became of those stones. Are they laying at the bottom of some box of loose stones at the back of a vault?

What I wouldn't give to see that box of loose stones; the way Queen Mary played with her pieces, you know that that box is full of spectacular stones.

According to 'Queens Jewels', in spring 2001, a precious stones expert with Sothebys was contacted to appraise a parure which for more than 50 years had sat inside a safe in a California bank wrapped in newspaper. She discovered an extraordinary collection of peridots, each the size of an apricot, mounted on a diadem, a necklace, a brooch and a pair of earrings. Next to the jewelry was a crumpled photograph of Archduchess Isabella of Austria, an aunt of the last emperor, Karl I. The jewelry was the peridot and diamond parure that she had worn when her nephew was crowned King of Hungary in 1916. Sold after her death, it was purchased by a hungarian aristocrat whose dayghter fled to the US after WWII. the jewelry was put up for sale in London on June 20th, 2001 and sold for 256,000 pounds sterling. There was one photo of a close-up of the stones, but I don't have the capabilities of getting it here. Peridots are probably my least favorite gemstone, but the fact that a royal has worn them raises my opinion of them slightly. These were darker than most peridots nowadays - almost emerald green. I wish I could see the photo of the Archduchess dressed in court regalia at the coronation wearing the parure.

Imperial Peridot Pics!

The jewelry was the peridot and diamond parure that she had worn when her nephew was crowned King of Hungary in 1916...I wish I could see the photo of the Archduchess dressed in court regalia at the coronation wearing the parure.

Archduchess Isabelle of Austria (Teschen), 1916 Coronation of the Emperor Karl as King of Hungary

TeschenArchduchessIsabelle1916Coron.jpg

(copyright expired)

Last edited:
If you go to Fred Leighton - Rare and Collectible Jewels let the site load, then click on The Fred Leighton Collection, then click on Antique and Grandeur--on pages 10 and 11 you will see the parue. The necklace, earrings, and the tiara (worn as a BELT if you can believe it). They are stunning. The entire site is a treat, too.

I believe this is the amethyst necklace that went with the amethyst parue that The Queen Mother sold:
FullSCreenZoom

another view with a little description: S J Phillips Ltd Dealers in fine antique jewels and silver - Object Detail - Antique amethyst and diamond cluster necklace, c.1850 -

Turquoise Parue FullSCreenZoom that was just auctioned off by the Savoy family (I think that was them)

I've been to that website a long time ago but didn't make the connection. Thanks! Hard to imagine that belt as a tiara though. At least not a pretty one.That amethyst necklace is gorgeous though! Turquoise and diamonds really don't go togethor. It kind of looks like the pink parure that Cothilde wore at her wedding to Prince Victor Emmanuel(or is it the other way around?) a few years ago but swapped the stones.

Queen Mary's amethyst necklace has shown up on the neck of Anna Wintour. If this is the way she's going to wear it, with a bad neckline let's hope the necklace is just a loaner.
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Mary's amethyst

I'm really disappointed in Anna at this! For a woman who runs what is probably considered the premier fashion magazine, how could she do something so foolish as wearing a necklace with a dress who's neckline wasn't made for necklaces!:ohmy:

Last edited:
Ugh! Have you seen some of the horrors on the fashion runway? Sometimes I think haute couture is used to shock people.:flowers:

For anyone that is interested in seeing Archduchess Isabella's peridot tiara, it is being shown as part of an exhibit in Brussels called Brilliant Europe for a few months in the winter.

Here's a link to Brilliant Europe. Click on the pics to enlarge (tiaras in the bottom three rows).

I have always loved that Princess Abamalek tiara--it reminds me so much of the Poltimore. At first glance I sometimes confuse the two. Is that a yellow diamond in the middle?
Love the amethyst necklace: ING Arts - Photographs

Would cameo fit under the semi-precious royal jewelry thread?

I have to say that my favorite royal cameos (and some will say I'm crazy) would be the ones in the Swedish Royal Family--I love how Silvia wore the cameo tiara for her wedding. Very impressive.
I can't really think of any other cameo sets--it may just be that I am so tired right now--well, wait a moment, weren't Victoria and Albert's RFO's cameos? I know there were levels of orders, but I can't recall at thsi moment!

I still think that the Swedish cameo tiara is not the best. The workmanship is exquisite, but for a wedding tiara- ewwugh

OH, I totally agree that the thing is HUGE and probably cumbersome to wear, but Silvia makes it look easy. I also like that the piece is so historic--it makes it even more special!

Back
Top Bottom