The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I was just wondering, has anyone ever seen Elizabeth II wearing opals? Or anyone other member of the BRF?

The women in my family love opals, and you would think that Australia has probably given the BRF some good examples of them.
Iowabelle: Here you go:

The Andamooka Opal

Old 09-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Royal Highness

The brooch HRH The Duchess of Cornwall wore on the first day of Ascot this year:

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7904/is14426149hw8.jpg

This is the best pic I could find; there is still some discussion as to what the stone is. The top contenders are garnet, Mandarin Garnet, Orange Sapphire, and something else--can't remember. But, this is one impressive brooch!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-08-2007, 04:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I was just wondering, has anyone ever seen Elizabeth II wearing opals? Or anyone other member of the BRF?
The women in my family love opals, and you would think that Australia has probably given the BRF some good examples of them.
HM has a wonderful opal brooch which I have only seen her wear once. I have no history of this gorgeous piece
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...nsigningaw.jpg

Old 09-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Courtier

O dear, the Austrail Gall Stone horror appears once again. I for one do not care for opals so you will pardon my prejudice. Australia, except for all those unfortunates suffering from the disorder of republicanism and other unpleasant life forms of the spider, crocodile and serpent variety is a marvelous country which produces fabulous wines and sigh, opals. Of course I do understand black opals can be magnificent. Who am I to argue. I do wish they would just carve the thing up into something-in the infamous phrase of Imelda Marcos-"more wearable." They could even use it, cut up into small pieces, for a tiara. I would note that the magnificent Oriental Diadem originally was set with opals which Queen Alexandra had replaced with rubies. Cheers.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:23 AM
Royal Highness

I was going to mention the Oriental Diadem with Opals but you beat me too it. I wonder what ever became of those stones. Are they laying at the bottom of some box of loose stones at the back of a vault?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Royal Highness

What I wouldn't give to see that box of loose stones; the way Queen Mary played with her pieces, you know that that box is full of spectacular stones.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Royal Highness

According to 'Queens Jewels', in spring 2001, a precious stones expert with Sothebys was contacted to appraise a parure which for more than 50 years had sat inside a safe in a California bank wrapped in newspaper. She discovered an extraordinary collection of peridots, each the size of an apricot, mounted on a diadem, a necklace, a brooch and a pair of earrings. Next to the jewelry was a crumpled photograph of Archduchess Isabella of Austria, an aunt of the last emperor, Karl I. The jewelry was the peridot and diamond parure that she had worn when her nephew was crowned King of Hungary in 1916. Sold after her death, it was purchased by a hungarian aristocrat whose dayghter fled to the US after WWII. the jewelry was put up for sale in London on June 20th, 2001 and sold for 256,000 pounds sterling. There was one photo of a close-up of the stones, but I don't have the capabilities of getting it here. Peridots are probably my least favorite gemstone, but the fact that a royal has worn them raises my opinion of them slightly. These were darker than most peridots nowadays - almost emerald green. I wish I could see the photo of the Archduchess dressed in court regalia at the coronation wearing the parure.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Imperial Peridot Pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
The jewelry was the peridot and diamond parure that she had worn when her nephew was crowned King of Hungary in 1916...I wish I could see the photo of the Archduchess dressed in court regalia at the coronation wearing the parure.

Archduchess Isabelle of Austria (Teschen), 1916 Coronation of the Emperor Karl as King of Hungary

(copyright expired)
Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Royal Highness

If you go to Fred Leighton - Rare and Collectible Jewels let the site load, then click on The Fred Leighton Collection, then click on Antique and Grandeur--on pages 10 and 11 you will see the parue. The necklace, earrings, and the tiara (worn as a BELT if you can believe it). They are stunning. The entire site is a treat, too.

I believe this is the amethyst necklace that went with the amethyst parue that The Queen Mother sold:
FullSCreenZoom

another view with a little description: S J Phillips Ltd Dealers in fine antique jewels and silver - Object Detail - Antique amethyst and diamond cluster necklace, c.1850 -

Turquoise Parue FullSCreenZoom that was just auctioned off by the Savoy family (I think that was them)

Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Royal Highness

I've been to that website a long time ago but didn't make the connection. Thanks! Hard to imagine that belt as a tiara though. At least not a pretty one.That amethyst necklace is gorgeous though! Turquoise and diamonds really don't go togethor. It kind of looks like the pink parure that Cothilde wore at her wedding to Prince Victor Emmanuel(or is it the other way around?) a few years ago but swapped the stones.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Mary's amethyst necklace has shown up on the neck of Anna Wintour. If this is the way she's going to wear it, with a bad neckline let's hope the necklace is just a loaner.
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Mary's amethyst

Nice pic of the parue:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1&d=1092970214

Now, I get a little confused--why were these pieces sold? Any pics of anyone wearing them? Weren't they won at some charity raffle?

Old 10-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynard View Post
kind of weird, but the Victorians would have loved it.
I hope that none of the royal women have this tiara, it is uuuggglly!

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, in Time Magazine
Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Queen Mary's amethyst necklace has shown up on the neck of Anna Wintour. If this is the way she's going to wear it, with a bad neckline let's hope the necklace is just a loaner.
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Mary's amethyst
I'm really disappointed in Anna at this! For a woman who runs what is probably considered the premier fashion magazine, how could she do something so foolish as wearing a necklace with a dress who's neckline wasn't made for necklaces!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Serene Highness

Ugh! Have you seen some of the horrors on the fashion runway? Sometimes I think haute couture is used to shock people.

For anyone that is interested in seeing Archduchess Isabella's peridot tiara, it is being shown as part of an exhibit in Brussels called Brilliant Europe for a few months in the winter.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Here's a link to Brilliant Europe. Click on the pics to enlarge (tiaras in the bottom three rows).
Old 10-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Royal Highness

I have always loved that Princess Abamalek tiara--it reminds me so much of the Poltimore. At first glance I sometimes confuse the two. Is that a yellow diamond in the middle?
Love the amethyst necklace: ING Arts - Photographs

Would cameo fit under the semi-precious royal jewelry thread?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Would cameo fit under the semi-precious royal jewelry thread?
So which are your favourite royal cameos?
This one from ING's Brilliant Europe is interesting in that it incorporates diamonds with the cameo: Cameo portrait of Napoleon I.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Royal Highness

I have to say that my favorite royal cameos (and some will say I'm crazy) would be the ones in the Swedish Royal Family--I love how Silvia wore the cameo tiara for her wedding. Very impressive.
I can't really think of any other cameo sets--it may just be that I am so tired right now--well, wait a moment, weren't Victoria and Albert's RFO's cameos? I know there were levels of orders, but I can't recall at thsi moment!

Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

I still think that the Swedish cameo tiara is not the best. The workmanship is exquisite, but for a wedding tiara- ewwugh

Old 02-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Royal Highness

OH, I totally agree that the thing is HUGE and probably cumbersome to wear, but Silvia makes it look easy. I also like that the piece is so historic--it makes it even more special!

Tags
jewellery, semi-precious