The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Royal Tutti Frutti

I have a new candidate for "What were they thinking?" Edwina Mountbatten's "Tutti Frutti Bandeau" which is going to be on exhibit at the V&A. (Sorry, I don't have a photo -- Thomas Parkman, can you find one??)

I don't know why this piece was purchased since it's so awful and Edwina Mountbatten was usually very well put together. I noticed that Edwina had another diamond tiara which was auctioned off in 2002. It would be wonderful if Charles could be persuaded to hunt down tasteful Mountbatten pieces for Camilla (to be Camilla's own property).

Old 04-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I have a new candidate for "What were they thinking?" Edwina Mountbatten's "Tutti Frutti Bandeau" which is going to be on exhibit at the V&A. (Sorry, I don't have a photo -- Thomas Parkman, can you find one??)

I don't know why this piece was purchased since it's so awful and Edwina Mountbatten was usually very well put together. I noticed that Edwina had another diamond tiara which was auctioned off in 2002. It would be wonderful if Charles could be persuaded to hunt down tasteful Mountbatten pieces for Camilla (to be Camilla's own property).

Now, I must admit that I truly love the Tutti-Fruitti style by Cartier. There is something whimsical yet substantial about it. Here is some information about Tutti-Fruitti style and some examples:
Juwelen - Schmuck - Jewels |Tutti frutti - Fruit salad

I like the bandeau--but I also readily admit that it is a style you either love or hate.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Courtier

Well, it certainly is colorful. A simple white dress and face whitened sufficiently to set off the whole mess -whoops, fruit basket ???? would be lovely. One could positively look like my side yard, covered with all kinds of colourful baubles. Charming and so very sophisticated.

Sorry, while I can respect the workmanship, it is just too much. Even for such a gemoholic such as myself. I do not care for, except on rare, occassions, engraved gemstones. Why gouge out ridges etc into such lovely goodies. I think it just ruins them. Besides, while I am firmly in favor of men being able to wear tiaras, ( I know I am a minority of one, but this business of discrimination in this day and age on such a serious matter is nothing short of appalling-the sheer hypocrisy is glaring enough to blind you) but even I draw the line with a man walking the streets of Columbia or whatnot with a tutti frutti fruit basket on his head or somewhere on his arm. We still have the CODE here. Were I to do such a thing I would either be committed or shot. Cheers.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Serene Highness

call me crazy but I think that bandeau would look amazing on a person wearing all black.
Then again, I'm also about the only RF member that likes Princess Madeleines 'cyclop' tiara...
Old 04-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Royal Highness

Cool

Call me crazy also, but I love tutti frutti. The Mountbatten set is my absolute favorite.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Royal Highness

http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Sep2007/07090152.jpg

Maxima wearing Cartier

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I deplore tutti fruti...makes me cringe.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Royal Highness

I do love it, but the fact is most people will either love it or hate it. It's one of the styles that has a more limited audience, I would think. There is just something about the carvings on the stones, and the way they are assembled together--the craftmanship is just remarkable. I wouldn't mind a bracelet or brooch. But, offer me Edwina's bandeau over, say, the Grand Duchess Vladmir Emerald drop tiara--well the emeralds would win hands down.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
What on earth is that... thing she's wearing? It can't be a dress; those are supposed to look good..

Oh, and the tutti frutti.. gah. No. Rip out the stones, melt the damn thing down, and start over.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:49 AM
Administrator

A post of mine copied from the CP Maxima Jewellery thread

Here's a scan of the cover of the Cartier Exhibition booklet showing the Daisy Fellowes' Cartier Tutti Frutti necklace, created in 1936.
It is made of platinum, briolet-sapphires, carved emeralds, sapphires, rubies, emerald beads, and diamonds.

The Tutti Frutti style is something you either like, or don't. I viewed this necklace up close in Sydney and wasn't impressed; others, however, oohed and aahed.

The ear-pendants (platinum, gold, carved emeralds, enamel beads, and diamonds) have a bit more style.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Tutti Frutti!

Not Royal, but to add substance to the thread and to give an illustration of a different style of tutti frutti with cabochon gems and diamonds:

Here's a better picture of Maxima's necklace, courtesy of Nawal:

Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Courtier

There was a photo of Caroline of Monaco wearing a set similar to the Fellowes. Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

Was there a photo of the Tutti Frutti tiara? I only saw bracelets.
I think it looks o-kay with sapphires/rubies, not liking Maxima's set.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

warren is this picture of Keira Knightly at the oscars
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...iNecklace2.jpg
this was a borrowed necklace and has aslo been worn by Lady Helen Tayler

Old 04-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Royal Highness

I prefer the older tutti-frutti to the more modern--like the necklace worn by Kiera Knightly--it doesn't look right to me.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
warren is this picture of Keira Knightly at the oscars?
Yes, correct on both counts . I'm not a fan of tutti frutti but in this case the diamonds add the much-needed sparkle.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Courtier

oh, My God!!! What in the world is this slop doing here. It should be on the Worst Jewels Thread. It just cries out for the treatment that only these sublimely vicious and venemous but oh so imaginative comments by the noble members can provide. The thing looks like a Chrismas decoration from Wall Mart or something the poorer masses would decorate their houses with along with all the colored lights and Santa and his entourage of red nosed deer.

It reminds me of nothing so much as what my poor mother who is currently in a medical center recovering from a broken hip would do in her arts and crafts class with all the sweet little old ladies. Of course my mother, after hearing all the compliments and how wonderful her first effort was and telling everybody that she was so pleased and was going to put the thing on a wall in her home promply told me when she got out of there it was junk and to get rid of it. Well we cannot get rid of all those diamonds, rubies, sapphires and emeralds. Lord, how could they. This just takes my breath away. Wannnnnnnnnggghhhh.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I might have misplaced it, I meant it for Worst Jewels! IMO it's certainly a candidate.

Thomas Parkman, if I ever get loose again from the Midwest (I'm praying to!), we'll have to find a place to do high tea together.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Courtier

The "Tutti Frutti" style is really pretty interesting, and can be quite elegant. The name, though, sounds stupid and is a later term (dating to the 1940s--two decades after the creation of the style by Cartier).

I like the Mountbatten TF tiara, because it is a VERY rare piece; even necklaces in the original Cartier style are extremely uncommon. Mostly one runs across brooches, bracelets, jabot pins, etc...sometimes earrings.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota View Post
The "Tutti Frutti" style is really pretty interesting, and can be quite elegant. The name, though, sounds stupid and is a later term (dating to the 1940s--two decades after the creation of the style by Cartier).

I like the Mountbatten TF tiara, because it is a VERY rare piece; even necklaces in the original Cartier style are extremely uncommon. Mostly one runs across brooches, bracelets, jabot pins, etc...sometimes earrings.
Thank you, Prince of Chota; I completely agree with everything you said--and the style can be elegant!

http://www.jewelmuseum.com/pics/tkf1112.jpg

Old 04-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the older Tutti-Fruitti, not the newer. The newer looks drab and dull. I think the rule of thumb with Tutti-Fruitti is to wear simple clothing with it to set it off to it's best advantage, otherwise you can't see the jewelry.
You know who'd look GRAND in all the Tutti-Fruitti? The Duchess of Windsor!

Tags
jewellery, tutti frutti