The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I like the older Tutti-Fruitti, not the newer. The newer looks drab and dull. I think the rule of thumb with Tutti-Fruitti is to wear simple clothing with it to set it off to it's best advantage, otherwise you can't see the jewelry.
You know who'd look GRAND in all the Tutti-Fruitti? The Duchess of Windsor!
I couldn't agree more with everything you said--older pieces, simple clothing and the Duchess of Windsor--she looked great in everything and she enjoyed Tutti-Frutti design as well.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 05-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga View Post
call me crazy but I think that bandeau would look amazing on a person wearing all black.
Then again, I'm also about the only RF member that likes Princess Madeleines 'cyclop' tiara...
Actually, Princess Olga, you are not alone in liking Madeleine's "cyclops" tiara. As for the tutti frutti -- I think a few of the younger royals could pull it off, mainly the brunettes (if we're talking tiaras or bandeaux) and the darker complected (for necklaces), not sure how well those colorful creations would work with pale skin -- which means Tutti Frutti is out for me .

Cat

Old 05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Yes, tutti frutti would have suited the Duchess. I got the auction catalogs and was rather aghast at some of the items she wore. They struck me as rather gaudy and not in good taste at all.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Yes, tutti frutti would have suited the Duchess. I got the auction catalogs and was rather aghast at some of the items she wore. They struck me as rather gaudy and not in good taste at all.
Didn't Elizabeth Taylor end up with a lot of Wallis' jewelry?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Yes, some, but no tutti frutti (the thread subject).
Old 05-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Yes, some, but no tutti frutti (the thread subject).
Do we know who got the Tutti Fruitti? Or do they want to just be private collectors and not wear it? I would think that a woman would want to show that off. It's stunning after all.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Cartier bought or later acquired the semi-tutti frutti 1947 gold, amethyst, turquoise and diamond necklace. This was also included in the Cartier Exhibition and when I saw it up close I thought it heavy, clunky and ugly. Others loved it.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

But Warren, didn't Princess Margaret say the same thing about Liz Taylor's gigantic rock Richard Burton got her until she tried it on?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Courtier

But, Russ, dear heart, the Cartier diamond is not, repeat, NOT, the same thing by any stretch of the imagination as this overdone and putrid slop/waste of fabulous jewels. It is 69 ++++ carats of sheer magic, in a class so far above this gem besplatterd landscape that it can hardly bear comparison. And of course once P. Margaret got over it she agreed in so many words that any woman with that, particularly, (let us be vulgar here) any woman of the stature (loosely interpreted) of El Taylor who placed that diamond upon her person where the ET placed that diamond upon her person could hardly be called somebody wearing something vulgar. It was calculated to stop traffric. And did. T

Whereas this tutti-frutti stuff would be easily mistaken for a stop light and cause all kinds of automoblile accidents due to the confusion and confusions of poor taste. Amethyst, Turquoise, gold and diamonds.????? Shuddeer, shudddeeer. Shuddddddeeer. Cheers.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

But Thomas Parkman, I LIKE Tutti Fruitti! (When worn on the Duchess of Windsor!)
Alas! I'll be forever known as a hapless vulgarite!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am new to this site, but am also a huge fan of tutti fruitti. Leave it
to Princess Maxima to pull it off beautifully last fall. I know its not a look
that anyone could or would want to wear. But as usual,she wears her
jewels, they dont wear her!! SO glad to be here with you all!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Courtier

No, Russ, dear heart, you are not a vulgarite. You just have rather exhuberant taste. And sometimes we all slip upon the great banana peel of life. Take my sick obsesssion with chocolate. To which I have recently added roses. I have discovered that I am besotted with them. I have decided to come out of the closet and declare to all and sundry that I am a florasexual. Unfortunatey it turns out that I am also the BLACK THUMB OF DEATH. My roses are all dying of black spot or the mange or some such. At least you cannot up and kill Tutti Frutti, unless of course you take a sledge hammer to it. Cheers.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
No, Russ, dear heart, you are not a vulgarite. You just have rather exhuberant taste. And sometimes we all slip upon the great banana peel of life. Take my sick obsesssion with chocolate. To which I have recently added roses. I have discovered that I am besotted with them. I have decided to come out of the closet and declare to all and sundry that I am a florasexual. Unfortunatey it turns out that I am also the BLACK THUMB OF DEATH. My roses are all dying of black spot or the mange or some such. At least you cannot up and kill Tutti Frutti, unless of course you take a sledge hammer to it. Cheers.
Oh Honey! Roses are such a beech to grow! I take care of my MIL's and she has full sun, which they love, and constant trimming. Otherwise no pesticides. I won't have any in my garden they would drive me NUTS!
But if you're ever in Oregon, let me know and I'll take you to the Rose Test Garden International Rose Test Garden | Portland's Rose Gardens and Rose Garden Store
and you can get your fill.

Now, other than on-line, does anybody do any Tutti Fruitti anymore? Or is it by request only? Looks like Cartier has the market on the piece.
(Some will say thank God to that! )
Old 05-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, to Russophile. Some firms out of India are doing copies of the Cartier
Tutti Fruitti, of course they use much inferior stones but that makes them
more affordable to us. They are still very expensive and nobody does it like
the old firms do!!
Old 05-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Courtier

Has anybody considered automobile cut glass??? Perhaps we could call up
Queen Margarethe and have her contribute the Poppy outer space horror show to be turned into a poppy outer space horror tutti frutti. The Queen Sonya could throw in the tourmaline cough drop from her own ghastly horror and we really would have a show. Cheers.
PS
Now if this gets past the Powers that Be without a wrack on the knuckles I will have nine lives indeed.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:59 AM
Administrator

The Mountbatten Tutti Frutti tiara, now in the V&A, London

Old 06-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Nobility

Ughhhh, that looks like a tiara for a Barbie doll!!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Nobility

That is hideous. I despise carved gemstones. The whole point is the lustre and brilliance you get from light refracting within the crystal. Carving them destroys that.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

So sorry friends. I think it is magnificent!!!!!!!!! but I guess life would be very boring if we all liked the same thing. Thanks for the picture Warren!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Courtier

The gemstones are magnificent, dazzling but the whole ensemble just does not work. Of course this is Indian style. Could someone find a picture of the crown of the recently deposed King of Nepal. What a disaster!! But the crown is most magnificent. Cheers.

Tags
jewellery, tutti frutti