Royal Sapphire Jewelry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Choker

Princess Diana's Sapphire Choker:In that Excellent on Her Royal Highness.

royalspiritTerrance

Jackswife said:
Don't know if it's actually hers or not but several years ago Princess Caroline was on the cover of an American magazine with an absolutely spectacular set :eek: :confused:

If you are talking about this set, she inherited it from her grandmother Charlotte along with that fabulous diamond and pearl tiara.

http://www.royal-magazin.de/monaco/saphire-monaco.htm

I also love this set!

Princess Máxima's sapphire earrings, broche and double bracelets during an official diner in The Hague, 2002.

The sapphires once were part of the partly broken up 1901 Wedding Gift Diademe by Israël & Hoetig Jewellers Amsterdam. It is believed the diademe was dismantled to create a whole set of personal jewelry for the daughters of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard.

The Princess only wore a few items (earrings, broche, bracelet) but she did look fabulous.

Picture.

The Princess wore another pair of earrings, another sapphire-and-diamonds broche and the two original bracelets for the Wedding Banquet of HRH The Prince of Asturias in Madrid, 2004.

Picture.

Last edited:
HRHAmy said:
I really like this necklace, it was one of the Queen's of Jordan I'm not sure of her name.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17328&d=1063800421

That gorgeous sapphire necklace by Bulgari belonged to the late Princess Soraya, second wife of the Shah of Iran.
The necklace, along with her engagement ring, was auctioned off in Paris after her death:
Fortune of Shah's former wife goes to German state | Germany | Europe | International News | News | Telegraph

Last edited:
Marengo said:
So Queen Marie-Amelie´s beautiful sapphires are now adorning the head of one the wives of an oilsheikh? To awfull!

Anyway, it can get worse, there wore rumours that Victoria Beckham bought herself the poltimore tiara.... ´say it isn´t so´.

Hmmm...I had heard rumours that a woman from China had purchased the Poltimore...frankly, I would rather see it on ANY public figure (i.e. royal) than some anonymous rich person.

As for the Parure Marie-Amelie, I don't mind it so much being in the collection of an "oil sheikh" as you put it. I only wish that we ever saw these royal wives at public functions...unfortunately that is one of the draw-backs to the more conservative followers of my religious community...

I think that the French Crown Jewels are perfect for display in the Louvre. As many of you might have noticed, France is a republic, and has been for quite some time...I'd much rather go see them for myself, and if it was the choice of the late Comte to sell them, who am I to question his judgement?

Selam.

My favourite suite of sapphires would have to be Princess Caroline's. For sheer unadulterated class those Cabochon Sapphires in their unique and understated settings whilst being "in your face" are also absolutely fabulous! :wub:
Princess Mary's brooch is also unique, understated, yet also "in your face". So maybe my favourites are a tie! :wub:

Both of these ladies have the elan to be able to wear incredibly distinctive jewelry and not be eclipsed by it. :cool:

I love sapphires. They aren't my jewel [that would be pearl for June], but I'd love to have a nice sapphire necklace to call my own. That said, this thread is a joy to look through.

My favorite suite of Sapphire jewels is Princess Diana's sapphire choker and the suite she recieved from the then Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia.

King Louis and The Hope Diamond

Here is an interesting tidbit about why I have an aversion to blue sapphires:

Hope Diamond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was stolen from a Hindu idol and later came into the belonging of the likes of King LouisXIV,XVI and Marie Antoinette even.Evelyn Walsh Maclean was the last proprietor to feel the power of the stone's wrath.
Also just before Jean Harlow's untimely death she was given a huge blue sapphire ring by William Powell.Originally a sapphire for a king and very regal in all settings I think I will pass.

I love the Dutch sapphire jewelry, they have great pieces! But then again I am very parcial to sapphires so....it's only natural that I couldn't find an ugly one :)

I also love blue sapphires,but sapphires come in many many other wonderful colours. Would it not be wonderful to see pink,yellow,green,orange,nd purple sapphires in pictures on this forum,especially if worn by the ladies pictured with blue sapphires? Of course,most of the items pictured are heirloom and/or historic pieces of jewellery,and other coloured sapphires haven'y been quite so fashionable until recently.

Princess Diana's sapphire choker

Hi all. I think I may have come across the origins of Princess Diana's huge sapphire brooch / chocker which was given to her by QEQM. It looks like it came from an obscure tiara that was worned by Queen mary.... does anyone have any additional info? have i discovered something new?

I'm a sucker for sapphire jewelry, even though my birthstone is emerald. I especially like the combination of sapphires, diamonds and pearls. I had The Franklin Mint's copy of Princess Diana's choker/brooch, but it got stolen. I also like QEII's sapphire brooch (I'm not sure which russian brooch it is) that has the pearl pendant. And there's a tiara in Munn's tiara bible that's sapphires, pearls and diamonds that's my favorite. I don't remember off that of my head who it belongs to though.

Would that be the tiara that is part of the parure of Queen Marie-Amelie of France? Now I have to check my Munn "bible".:lol:

Here is my share for this thread:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I absolutely love this brooch - which CP Mary obviously received as a gift for Christians birth.
The brooch is said to have belonged to HRH Princess Margaret of Connaught, who married Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden and was the mother of Queen Ingrid of Denmark (Crown Prince Frederik’s grandmother). It is a large sapphire center, diamond encrusted, with pearl strands and drops. Its provenance and design suggest that it dates to the 19th century. (Source Sapphire Royal Jewels for September | The Royal Universe)

I didn't think she recieved at as a gift, I thought it was just on loan.

It has been referred to as a gift in Danish media (of course probably with a strict underlying condition that it remains in the family line...). Mary has used it a couple of times since, and the queen has not been seen wearing it as far as I remember, so I would also think it is indeed a gift.

I absolutely love this brooch...
do too!! but....why oh why don't we see it used more? Princess Mary only wears it at state visits, and baptisms. Imagine this on a gown! I hope she reads this and wears it soon.........:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sapphire ring 'belonged to Anglo-Saxon or Viking royalty' - News, Archaeology - The Independent
A unique gold and sapphire finger ring, found by a metal detectorist and just purchased by the Yorkshire Museum, almost certainly belonged to Anglo-Saxon or Viking royalty, very senior clergy or a leading member of the Anglo-Saxon aristocracy, say historians.
Of very great historical importance, it is the only Anglo-Saxon era sapphire ever found in the ground in Britain. The only other sapphire from the period is the one that the Queen wears in her Imperial State Crown, used at the opening of Parliament. Known as St. Edward’s sapphire, this latter gem was once part of King Edward the Confessor’s finger ring and is now the oldest gem in the British crown jewels.
The association of sapphires with high status – demonstrated by St. Edward’s gem – suggests that the sapphire ring, just purchased by the Yorkshire Museum, is of very substantial historical significance. It was found in a field some six miles to the south of York by a local metal detectorist, Michael Greenhorn, a railway technician, was subsequently declared treasure and has now been bought by the museum for £35,000.

**Pic**

Queen Victoria's sapphire tiara belongs to the Harewoods.It was a wedding gift to George V's daughter, Princess Mary who married in to that family.

Last edited:
Kate's and Diana's engagement ring, and Diana's pearl choker have always been mt favorite royal sapphire jewels!

Not of the Crown jewels. They belong to one of the Bernadotte Family foundations. The Crown Jewels are on public dsplay at the Treasur at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.
Thanks for the information, Stefan. I'm afraid I never really understood the difference between Swedish Crown Jewels and Bernadotte Family Foundation, and always thought the Leuchtenberg Tiara belonged to the former.

Kate's and Diana's engagement ring, and Diana's pearl choker have always been mt favorite royal sapphire jewels!

Diana's sapphire Saudi suite is also very beautiful, but my favorite has always been her magnificent sapphire and pearl choker. That's always been an iconic piece of jewelry to me.

Last edited:
I always loved her sapphire and diamond bracelet attached to a velvet band worn as a choker. So lovely!

Back
Top Bottom