Royal Sapphire Jewelry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always like the Diana/kate engagement ring, the sapphire leuchtenberg tiara, Queen victoria's sapphire tiara, sapphire parure necklace tiara of holland and earrings.:):flowers:

another piece that i would like to add is the matching necklace that goes with the leuchtenberg tiara. just so gorgous!;):flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
How could I forget! I'm also adding to my list Queen Victoria's sapphire tiara and the Swedish Leucthenberg tiara that I fondly refer to as the "Sapphire Fortress." Thanks for that, Grandduchess!

I love the Swedish necklace that has pearls and saphirres in it. It was worn by P madeline at victorias wedding I think. I think it's called something like the processional necklace?

The necklace is known as the processional jewels. The piece was given to the newly named Swedish Crown Princess Victoria for her procession into Stockholm following her wedding in Karlsruhe in 1881. Victoria was given the necklace by her husband, Crown Prince Gustaf (V). The necklace is made of Ceylon sapphires, baroque pearls and diamonds. (information from the Mad Hattery website) Here's the photo of Madeleine wearing it at Victoria's wedding, a nice nod to the occasion:

http://madhattery.royalroundup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/wedding-2010-0619-sweden-madeleine.jpg

Just gorgeous; so delicate yet loaded with magnificent gems. Love the color of those sapphires!

Last edited:
tiaras

has there ever been a sapphire and ruby tiara

Last edited:
That combination is rare but not unheard of.
One such tiara was made of sapphires, rubies, emeralds and diamonds set in platinum, and belonged once to Queen Marie of Romania.

Last edited:
I guess I'm in the minority but Iike QEII's sapphire tiara.

QEII's Mystery Sapphires

Can anyone tell me the history behind these sapphire jewels? I have never seen them before??

Jenafran said:
Can anyone tell me the history behind these sapphire jewels? I have never seen them before??

Well the brooch used to belong to the late Queen Mother. The necklace I don't know although I have only seen photographs of the Queen wearing it since the death of her Mother, so maybe it is from the same source as the brooch!

Here is a clearer image of the diamond and sapphire necklace, plus earrings.
This pic is from 2007 when the King of Saudi Arabia paid a visit.
Therefore it's quite possible - or likely - that the necklace is a Saudi gift.

v Diamond & sapphire necklace
Thumbnail cropped from much larger image and not subject to copyright.

Attachments

• Sapphire necklace & earrings 2007.jpg
    Sapphire necklace & earrings 2007.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,227
Another worthy addition to this thread - Queen Mary's Russian Brooch.
It was originally given by Empress Marie Feodorovna of Russia to Princess May of Teck (later Queen Mary) as a wedding present in 1893. The brooch has a large square-cut diamond and square cabochon sapphire set in a scroll frame of round diamonds. The Empress later asked her husband, Alexander III, to add a matching sapphire and diamond bracelet to the gift. The Queen inherited the brooch in 1953, when Queen Mary passed away.
Because of the unusual design, different royal ladies have worn it both vertically and horizontally.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 1,475
Does anyone know who purchased the Portland tiara (sapphires and pearls) when it came up for auction last year?
I think it was so beautiful.

I love the Russian brooch, I wish we could see it worn more!

Here is a pic of the other parure, courtesy Corbis:

Queen Marie Amélie's Sapphire Parure

FranceQueenMarieAmeliesSapphires.jpg

These jewels are so beautiful, some of the most beautiful I have ever seen, perhaps they are all being viewed together. Gives the impression that blue royal jewels are actually rather elegant.

What a magnificent collection, but is there no bracelet to complete this parure?

Hi all. I think I may have come across the origins of Princess Diana's huge sapphire brooch / chocker which was given to her by QEQM. It looks like it came from an obscure tiara that was worned by Queen mary.... does anyone have any additional info? have i discovered something new?

The brooch came from the Greville bequest of jewels left to The Queen Mother. She gave it to Diana as a wedding gift as she never wore it. It was, by far, the most valuable piece of jewelry Diana received from the royal family.

Last edited:

The Prince Albert Brooch is absolutely stunning. It speaks for itself. The engagement ring grew on me after a while. I thought it was too much and too gaudy at first. Now, I think it's rather pretty. Something that big would only work with relatively long and slender fingers, and Diana and Catherine had/have that covered.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: A Few of Diana's Sapphires
So gorgeous, and check out that choker! Yes, please!:prettyplease::D The ring's not bad either.....;):D

Not a fan of the chocker, but I adore the earrings. They're elegant but simple, and Catherine pulls them off quite well.

In november 2003 had been sold by the Christi's the sapphire of Queen Maria of Romania. The sapphire had been registered for the first time by Cartier around 1912 and the stone was bigger than an egg. It was a precious sapphire with 478 karat and with origins from Sri Lanka. Only two sapphires in the world had been placed before this exquisite gem: Star of India with 563 karat and the sapphire belonged to the Peter the Great with 547 karat and which can be seen in Dresda.
The precious sapphire had been purchased by King Ferdinand of Romania as a gift for his wife Queen Maria. After her death the sapphire had passed to Queen Elena , mother of King Michael of Romania. The last picture of the sapphire was from june 1948 , the wedding of Princess Ana de Bourbon - Parma with Michael.

...Not a fan of the chocker...
I don't know if you're referring to the pearl and sapphire choker, Daria, because I'm in love with this piece and really want to see it brought back for use again. So I'm glad I won't have to fight you over it!:lol:

And I agree, the PA sapphire brooch is in a class of its own.

I think in the second photo is Princess Maria ( called also Mignon ) daughter of Queen Maria of Romania, who became Queen Maria of Yugoslavia by marring king Alexander I of Yugoslavia in 1922. Is easy to see the resemblance between mother and daughter. They were such beauties at that time!
Thank you for posting the photos!

That necklace is SO beautiful! I hear that it was dismantled after it was purchased, however. Can anyone confirm?

In my book, sapphires, rubies and emeralds are the best ones for tiaras. I love colored gems and stones!

All wonderful, but The Leuchtenberg Sapphire of Queen Silvia breathtaking. I adore this tiara. Also noticed the Belgian Sapphire not did notice far beautiful. I do not like at all the Portland Sapphire tiara very boring.

I think in the second photo is Princess Maria ( called also Mignon ) daughter of Queen Maria of Romania, who became Queen Maria of Yugoslavia by marring king Alexander I of Yugoslavia in 1922. Is easy to see the resemblance between mother and daughter. They were such beauties at that time!

Thank you for posting the photos!

Fabulous Emeralds here!

Back
Top Bottom