Royal Ruby Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

constance

Commoner
City
Manila
Country
Philippines
please psot pix, details, etc of your fave royal ruby jewels
(tiaras, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, brooches, rings or the whole set!)

I don't particularly like rubies and find them a quite tacky, but the one peice of ruby jewellery that has blown me away is Mary's ruby parure, it is stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Royal Highness,

I hate to give you the bad news, dear heart, but you need to buck up!!! You are drooping. To a real live royal personage RUBIES are Never Tacky. Ever. Now the design of the jewelry, the rest of the ensemble, the person being covered or hidden by the ensemble, for which the ensemble may be performing a valuable public service, may be tacky indeed. But rubies, never. But being the color red they must be handled with great care, discretion and taste. Understatement is generally to be preferred.

I would refer you the Her Majesty's recent wearing of the priceless and sublimely elegant Oriental Circlet. Magnificent. I have, of course, seen some
Bavarian number or other that was just a bit much, but then what can you expect from the Bavarians? They just take a really good thing and over do it. Not that one can really blame them, in this case. Can you ever really have too much Slag? Ie. Whipped Cream.

As for her Deliriously Beautiful Royal Highness, The Princess Mary, one can well understand how Crown Prince Frederic was repeatedly described as a love sick teenager. I take one good look at a picture of her and become perfectly besotted and bewitched. On her that ruby parure is overwhelming.

May I suggest that you too would look magnificent in the right parure of rubies. Now the only question is which one. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Queen Elizabeth II has a fantastic Burmese ruby tiara with matching earrings.:)

Actually, rubies are among the most valuable precious stones. They're certainly more expensive than diamonds of the same weight, and they rarely show up as large stones. You won't see the same huge chunks of rubies as you do of sapphires and emeralds. In that respect, they're actually somewhat more discreet rather than tacky. Any time you see a great big red stone, the chances are that it's a spinel or a garnet or something, not a ruby.

As somebody who's grown up in a culture where jewellery, and precious gems and gold at that, are incredibly common I stand by my comments regarding rubies.

They may not be particularly common in some parts of the world, but I'm sick to death of seeing horrid large rubies at weddings, parties etc. etc.
So yes, you can have too much of a good thing.

How marvelous

Your Highness, May I say how I envy you. I am positively drooling at the thought of it. You say that you are sick to death of seeing all those horrid large rubies and that you grew up in a culture where gold and jewels are incredibly common. Well, some people have all the luck. I would gladly acquire your sickness. What country is that, may I inquire. Being sick of rubies is one disease I would enjoy immensely. Of course I do prefer sapphires-blue ones that is. And emeralds. But then at this stage of decriptude in my life I am grateful for everything. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Thomas_Parkman, my username is Little_star, the Royal highness underneath refers to the number of posts I've made. As a new member, your status is "Newbie". I feel a little bit uncomfortable being refered to as Your Highness.

"Your Highness, May I say how I envy you. I am positively drooling at the thought of it. You say that you are sick to death of seeing all those horrid large rubies and that you grew up in a culture where gold and jewels are incredibly common. Well, some people have all the luck. I would gladly acquire your sickness. What country is that, may I inquire."
I'm from Britian and lived here ally my life. However my parents are originally from Pakistan, a country that is very much fond of its jewellery. Most British Pakistanis have carried on the traditiona for big and ostentatious jewellery, although the current trend in Pakistan is slightly more discrete. Big rubies just don't do it for me.

I think, if you see really big red stones, they're not likely to be rubies. I'm nut sure what you mean by big, but I remember that recently a ruby ring was donated to a museum because it had an unusually large stone, and it was something like 20 carats, which is smaller than a lot of sapphires that you see in royal and celebrity jewels all the time.

Speaking of sapphires, it's interesting that the Iranian jewels seem to be very heavy on emeralds and rubies but you hardly ever see sapphires. Is there any reason for that, does anyone know?

"I think, if you see really big red stones, they're not likely to be rubies."
With all due respect, these are rubies, I'm aware of the difference betwen a ruby and a garnet, for example. My mother on her last visit to Pakistan came back with a ruby and diamond necklace with matching earrings. The stones may not be particularly big, but there are enough of them.

"Speaking of sapphires, it's interesting that the Iranian jewels seem to be very heavy on emeralds and rubies but you hardly ever see sapphires."
Perhaps those jewels are a good luck symbol or maybe they are more commonly found in Iran.

By "really big," I mean the sort of size of the Black Prince's ruby on the front of the Imperial State Crown. That thing may be red, but it isn't a ruby; as far as I know, gem-quality rubies don't come in that size.

I think this is the ring I was thinking of:

http://www.mnh.si.edu/exhibits/ruby/index.htm

A 23-carat high-quality sapphire wouldn't be a big deal (well, obviously it'd be a big deal for most of us, but you know what I mean), but a ruby that size is a museum piece.

The only ruby jewellery i like is Mary's tiara. I don't generally like the vividness of rubies and they all seem to be used in the same way, i can't abide seeing rubies and diamonds together. But Mary's tiara is the exception because the rubies have been used carefully and discretely.

I love the ruby tiara of Queen Silvia of Sweden, wich she, to my kwnollage, only has worn once at the wedding between prince Joachim and Alexandra in 1995. I would love for her to wear it soon again if the piece if still part of the royal jewellerys.

Dear Members of the Noble Forum:

You are probably trying to think of spinels. This stone is very similar to rubies and in fact the Black Prince's "ruby" in the Imperial State Diadem is actually a spinel as are many of the red stones in the Iranian Imperial collection. I would most certainly agree that improperly handled rubies can appear vulgar, more easily so than many other precious gemstones. However properly done and with taste they can be magnificent. I would point out again the Oriental Circlet and the Desiree Clary parure of Crown Princess Mary, inter alia. I do not doubt that if the noble Little Star were to come into possession of a comparble example of the jeweler's art she would quickly see the merits in my argument. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Princess Grace's ruby tiara is definitely my favorite! Maybe it's because she's so beautiful or it could be the giant size of the rubies that adds sparkle to her flawless face. Either way, I sure do think both of them are a perfect combination.

I have a picture of her wearing the tiara.. I'm gonna look for it and I promise I will post it later.

Happy Valentine's Day to all!

gasp, gasp!!!
MAGNIFICENT!!!
i love, love, love it - both the tiara an matching earrings.

is the tiara convertible to be worn as a necklace?

constance said:
is the tiara convertible to be worn as a necklace?
Yes, it's a necklace which, when clipped to a frame, becomes a tiara of sorts. Mette Marit wore something similar (in amethysts) during the recent UK visit.

For real tiaras, these are much better (I know Thomas Parkman will agree :) ). Both pics originally from Geoffrey Munn 'Tiaras A History of Splendour'.

The Burmese Ruby Tiara . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Indian Ruby Tiara

UKBurmeseDiamondRubyTiara.jpg
. . .
UKIndianRubyTiara.jpg

i love Princess Mary's parure, absolutely beautiful, esp. the tiara. also like the Burmese tiara of QEII, but not a fan of The Indian Ruby Tiara

I had never seen CP Mary in all her ruby splender until the "How Much Is Too Much" thread but that is my fav. Well, for now anyway. :p

For me, Mary's ruby parure is just beyond beautiful. I especially like the tiara!
The Dutch got a ruby parure too: The Mellerio Ruby Parure. I just found out about it somewhere on the internet. Queen Emma got it as a gift from her husband in 1888.

Here's a link to a website about royal jewels, where we can see Queen Juliana wear the parure in all its splendour. I think the royal family ought to wear some of the jewels more often! What's the use of such brilliant jewels if they lay in a safe, just gathering dust?

http://www.royal-magazin.de/niederlande/ruby-mellerio.html

I know some of you really like Mary's ruby set of jewelries. I found an excellent high quality picture so you can see it clearly. Here is the picture. It's gonna take a while to load, but believe me it was worth it.

Photo courtesy of: onlylucky (Crown Princess Mary Message Board)

Rubies can look tackey. But they can add colour and elegance to jewelry if used right. I think Marys Parure is just beautiful. That was the first piece of ruby jewelry that I actually liked in a while. My mother has so many rubies that I got tired of them and lost intreset.

Princejohnny25 said:
Rubies can look tackey. But they can add colour and elegance to jewelry if used right. I think Marys Parure is just beautiful. That was the first piece of ruby jewelry that I actually liked in a while. My mother has so many rubies that I got tired of them and lost intreset.

I completely agree. However, I think it's very rare that rubies are "used right". Hence the impact of something like Mary's parure.

Maxie said:
For me, Mary's ruby parure is just beyond beautiful. I especially like the tiara!
The Dutch got a ruby parure too: The Mellerio Ruby Parure. I just found out about it somewhere on the internet. Queen Emma got it as a gift from her husband in 1888.

Here's a link to a website about royal jewels, where we can see Queen Juliana wear the parure in all its splendour. I think the royal family ought to wear some of the jewels more often! What's the use of such brilliant jewels if they lay in a safe, just gathering dust?

http://www.royal-magazin.de/niederlande/ruby-mellerio.html
'

I think the devant corsage hasn't been worn since Juliana's last appearance with it in the seventies. The tiara and smaller brooch has been worn by Beatrix several times, though she tries to hide the thing in her hairdo (like in Russia). The necklace was recently worn by Princess Laurentien in Denmakrk, during a dinner attended by CP Mary.

There is another Ruby parure in the collection of the dutch RF, the Peacock Ruby parure. The sad thing is that Wilhelmina gave the parure to Princess Irene before the family foundation was created, so I assume it is private property. The tiara and necklace hasn't been seen since the 70-ties (maybe Irene sold it?), but a brooch belonging to the parure was worn by Queen beatrix on one of the recent Prinsjesdays. Here a picture from hetgeheugenvannederland, albeit not in colour:

IreneNLp.jpg

I found pic of princess Letizia with ruby earrings (i hope, they werent post)
engagment ring of Sarah Ferguson:
and necklace of princess Diana :

Marengo said:
'

I think the devant corsage hasn't been worn since Juliana's last appearance with it in the seventies. The tiara and smaller brooch has been worn by Beatrix several times, though she tries to hide the thing in her hairdo (like in Russia). The necklace was recently worn by Princess Laurentien in Denmakrk, during a dinner attended by CP Mary.

There is another Ruby parure in the collection of the dutch RF, the Peacock Ruby parure. The sad thing is that Wilhelmina gave the parure to Princess Irene before the family foundation was created, so I assume it is private property. The tiara and necklace hasn't been seen since the 70-ties (maybe Irene sold it?), but a brooch belonging to the parure was worn by Queen beatrix on one of the recent Prinsjesdays. Here a picture from hetgeheugenvannederland, albeit not in colour:
Thanks for all the interesting information, Marengo! I love learning about royal jewels, especially those of the Netherlands! I went a bit through my own pictures (it's still a modest collection, to be honest) and I found a picture of Laurentien in Denmark (I'm pretty sure it's originally from Colourpress) wearing the ruby earrings and the brooche (which looked great on her by the way, as did the dress. I think that's the best outfit Laurentien has worn ever).

I agree Maxie, the best outfir she ever wore, and the best necklace she ever wore as well. I hope Maxima will wear the melliero ruby parure soon, it would look magnificent on her.

Marengo said:
I agree Maxie, the best outfir she ever wore, and the best necklace she ever wore as well. I hope Maxima will wear the melliero ruby parure soon, it would look magnificent on her.

Yes, she would! Maxima looks great in red too. Next to that I hope she pulls out more of the royal jewels in future, I just love to see the Dutch royals wearing their jewels. :)

Back
Top Bottom