Royal Rings - all types

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is customery I think for aristocratic men to have a ring bearing their family coat of arms or initials given them when they reach the age of 18. It's called a seal-ring and traditionally would alow them to seal documents/letters using sealing wax and the ring itself to cast an impression of their coat of arms. I can only imagine that wearing a wedding next to a seal ring would look too much like bling and so the wedding ring is made smaller to fit behind the seal-ring. If a man (aristocratic, royal or otherwise) doesn't have a seal-ring, then I cannot think of a reason why he shouldn't wear a wedding ring on the normal finger other than it's fashionable for the upper classes to do so!

Hopefully, some other people may come up with other ideas for you!!:onering:

Camilla's ring is the most impressive, but I like the most Letizia's one, it's modern and impressive in the same time.
The worst for me is Marie's one.

I love Victoria and Madeleine's rings!

Maxima's ring is beautiful! And to me Letizia has a beautiful ring but it doesn't look like an egagement ring

I'm not a big fan of Mary's one but it's ok!

The worst is Marie's ring! even if I'm french!lol

So if I had to choose, I would have Victoria's or Madeleine's ring!

I love topics like this!
My favourite engagement ring belonged to my mother - a diamond surround by eight sapphires.
I do like the stones in Maxima's ring, but the two diamond encrusted bands surrounding it made the design too complicated.
Letizia seems to have an eternity ring - it's ultra modern like her style.
Marie's ring is too masculine although the idea of the tricolor colours is lovely - the setting should have been more feminine to suit Marie.
It seems that diamonds are the favourite amongst the British royals family - Autumn's and Sophies were quite similar designs and whilst Camilla's ring indeed has the largest diamonds, I think Charles could have splashed out on something new for her!!
Marie-Chantal's ring was modern and unusual, but struck me as being like more of a dress ring.
Mary's ring was beautiful with it's Danish national colours in the rubies and diamond.
Victoria had the most traditional ring comprising a simple brilliant cut diamond solitaire, whilst her sister's ring is beautiful, there is something about the band I do not like.
My favourite amongst the royals? I think Mary's ring, for it's simplicity and the idea behind it.

Of the modern ones, Maxima's. Can't beat the symbolism: an orange diamond for the Princess of Orange.

Also liked Camilla's and its vintage simplicity.

The emerald cut reminds of me of my historic favorite: Grace's 12 ct. stunner. Which girl wouldn't want a ring that also made Hollywood stars jealous?

Even though it might seem gaudy and hurt one's fingers, but Soraya's 22 ct. emerald cut rock is most impressive.

The worst, definitely Marie's. IMO, it is the ugliest ring I've ever seen. I've seen graduation rings that look better.

Princess Mary Of Denmark. :flowers:
I hate Maries it's awful.
Camilla's and QEII are also very nice. :)

I have one question: Why does princess Letizia wear her wedding ring on her right hand?? Usually it's on the left one. Does someone know about that,??

:previous:
In the picture it's on her left. I've never seen her with it on her right, have you got a picture?
:flowers:

I have one question: Why does princess Letizia wear her wedding ring on her right hand?? Usually it's on the left one. Does someone know about that,??

Ccile, frankly speaking, I don't know why she did it.
The difference of wearing an engagement ring depends on religion views and heritage.
As a rule, Orthodox People wear the engagement ring on the right hand, Catholic wear it on the left hand.:rolleyes:

I like the rings of Letizia, Maxima and Marie Chantal (because it is blue white, the colours of the Greek flag).

Agree with those above that the worst ring is that of Marie

My absolute favorite is Princess Clothilde's it's very unique and gorgeous. Closely followed by Maxima and Mary's.

Anyone have a close up of Mette-Merit or GD Maria-Theresa?

I love Maxima's the best.

On this time I like the most engagement rings which belog to:
Maxima, Madeleiene, Letizia, Victoria, Autumn - they're not too big and too small.
Thay're almost all in one colour (of course Maxima's).
I don't like rings belong to:
Marie (nice idea but not work),
Camilla (I know that he love his beloved granny but he should give C new).
Why there's no picture of MM, Mathilde, Claire, Paola, Elizabeth's (Mother and II), Laurentien's rings and etc.?
Why not choose the best from all engagement rings?

My favourites are the rings of Mary and Maxima. I like it colourful ;) I'm not so fond of the ring of Alexia of Greece, quite boring IMO.

I usually like coloured stones very much, but for engagement rings I prefer diamonds! They go with all kinds and styles of jewels and clothes, never clashing with anything. And that seems perfect for a ring you want to wear at all times because it means so much to you.
The one I like most is Madeleine's, but I wouldn't say 'no' to Victoria's either;) If I were offered Marie's ring, well, I'd tell tell my boyfriend that I will marry him only on the condition that the stones are re-set:whistling: (Anyway, there is no chance that he would ever be able to afford something like those rings, so I shouldn't be worried)

Thank you for posting the link to the pictures, sgl! :flowers:
Edited to add rings provided in jcbcode99's post.

Favourite

Queen Elizabeth – arguably my favourite engagement ring ever. Traditional yet extremely pretty and not overwhelming. The only clear picture of the ring I have seen is in "Queen Elizabeth: A Birthday Souvenir Album". This ring looks very much like the Queen's, however there are differences in the design of the side stones.
Crown Princess Victoria - apart from Queen Elizabeth's ring, I probably like this one most: it's traditional yet very beautiful with a great design, shape and stone. Daniel has a great taste
Princess Grace – beautiful ring, I do love it a lot even despite the square diamond
Diana – despite the sad end of the marriage, I always liked Diana’s engagement ring. It was tasteful and pretty
Lady Sarah Chatto – beautiful, unfussy and traditional: just my type of an engagement ring
Clotilde - normally I'm dead against such modern pieces for engagement rings but this one is beautiful, sweet and despite the heart-shaped ruby, even tasteful

Least Favourite

Princess Marie - great idea, dreadful design
Princess Letizia - the ring looks cheap and boring
Princess Alexia - arguably my least favourite ring ever. Looks like the stone accidentally wandered into the ring and was trapped there
Victoria Lockwood - unlike Clotilde’s sweet heart-shaped ring, this one is tacky and pompous: nothing sweet or pretty about it. It might have looked quite nice without the tiara-like extension. Sometimes less is really more
Wallis – the emerald is beautiful but I hate the overall look of the ring. It might have looked better in white gold or platinum setting though

Neutral

Princess Anne - lovely, beautiful ring but nothing spectacular
Sarah - same as Princess Anne: lovely but not spectacular and a tad too traditional. I'm also rather sceptical about rubies in engagement rings
Princess Mary - this ring goes into the same category as Princess Anne's and Sarah's rings for me: nice but nothing spectacular
Princess Maxima - same as Princess Anne's, Sarah's and Princess Mary's rings: pretty, nice but nothing spectacular or particularly beautiful
Marie Chantal - pretty but nothing special
Camilla - I don't like the shape of the stone (for engagement ring) and the overall look of the ring
Princess Madeline - lovely and beautiful ring but I like Victoria's better. Maybe it's because of the stone shape: that and the square shapes are my least favourites
Sophie - the ring just doesn't work for me. I can't even pinpoint a reason: it's nice, it's traditional (more or less) and it’s all-diamond. Perhaps despite the designer's best efforts, the ring ended up boring and plain
Princess Margaret – the idea of creating a ring that would remind of the bride’s names (ruby set like a rosebud with a diamond marguerite) is lovely but I’m not sure I like the result
Queen Margrethe - it's certainly very majestic but just too big for my taste
Princess Astrid - interesting ring but I'm not sure it's fitting for an engagement
Autumn – plain and boring

Last edited:
I have always like QEII's ring as well. Lady Chatto's is beautiful and charming. Queen Margrethe's is impressive, but looks like it might be cumbersome to wear.
I do love Princess Grace's engagment ring, 10 carat plus emerald cut diamond:
http://elitechoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/ring.jpg

Here is The Duchess of Windsor's engagement ring, a 19 carat emerald set in yellow gold. Not my favorite, but I can appreciate the stone even if the setting is a bit much:
http://ringtherings.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/p1060676.jpg

Newspaper announcement about Princess Marina's engagement ring:
The Sydney Morning Herald. - Google News Archive Search

And, regardless of how people may have felt about her, I have always admired Diana's engagement ring:
http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/prvaciglo07710156oy.jpg

I was not particularly impressed with Sarah's ring--not because it isn't lovely, but because it seemed that Andrew was copying Charles, or Sarah was copying Diana.
Duchess of york engagement ring image by njroyal on Photobucket

Princess Margaret's ring:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: engagement rings

Here is a thread of additional engagement rings; there are some repeats, but it's well worth viewing. I like the story of the Danish ring. It shows Paola's ring, Beatrix', etc...
It's quite nice.
The Unofficial Royal Family Site :: View topic - Royal Engagement Rings

Last edited by a moderator:
The Signet Ring Thread

Please post any pictures and close-ups that you have of Royals or Nobles wearing their signet rings, i think it is quite interesting to see how their was made since they can choose whether to reveal their entire coat or arms or only the dominant elements. The way you wear a signet ring can also indicate whether their heart is taken or not, when a ring is worn towards the exterior of the hand (the shield/coat of arms facing away from the body) it means that they are not married or engaged, while if they wear it towards themselves it means that they are or have been married. However it seems that the nobility in certain countries such as Polen does not respect this rule which is rather common in France or Germany. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom