The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by seto
Letizias ring is an eternity band.
Well it looks like one, I admit. Infanta Cristina's is similar, three people I know who have gotten engaged recently (in Spain) have used the same design for their rings. I would prefer it as my wedding band rather than engagement ring.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:21 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

A quick fact: the ring Princess Grace wore in the 1956 movie High Society as her character's engagement ring was her actual engagement ring

Old 08-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Princess Grace did have another engagment ring before the big one she recieved later. It was eternity band made with rubies and diamonds, it's in the pictures of her and Ranier at her parents home in PA when the news was announced. Here is the first engagement ring: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1105274148
And the family at the announcement at her house in PA: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1&d=1105274382
Old 08-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Princess Grace did have another engagment ring before the big one she recieved later. It was eternity band made with rubies and diamonds, it's in the pictures of her and Ranier at her parents home in PA when the news was announced. Here is the first engagement ring: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1105274148
And the family at the announcement at her house in PA: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1&d=1105274382
For old movie fans, the diamond ring she is wearing in "High Society" is from Prince Ranier. It's gorgeous and huge!!!!! She kept giggling with her dresser about the fact most moviegoers would think it was paste, not real.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Serene Highness

Empress Michiko

Courtesy of Mainichi
Old 09-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Nobility

In Japan until the lates 1800s (Edo Era) married women displayed their marital status by painting their teeth black (ohaguro), today Japanese married couples wear wedding rings, not for any religious or magical reason, but because the person wants to publicly announce that they have found an intimate friend that they plan share the rest of their lives with. The appearance, attractiveness, and its material value, are the important factors for choosing a wedding ring. The magical or religious connotations have little or no relevance, the ring finger is call kusuri-yubi, the ritual of cake cutting, the exchange of rings and honeymoons are a new adopted western elements.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Courtier

Hi Love36! Here is a close up of Princess Grace's gigantic engagement ring. It's very nice indeed. Enjoy!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ngr/Grace2.jpg
Old 09-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD
Is this the one she wore in the movie?? No wonder it shines so much!! It's huge! Have you seen the film? That thing must have blinded alot of people!
Yes this is the ring she wore in High Society. You can get a great view of it in the movie during the engagement party scene when whe is laying down. It certainly did catch the eye. I normally don't like emerald cut stones because of the lack of sparkle, but this one was beautiful
Old 09-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Queen Beatrix' engagement ring
http://s2.supload.com/free/beatrix38...3811.jpg/view/
She wears it all the time, I think .
According to Beatrix the ring consists of "Diamonds, all round!" (fotomarktplatz)

What about Queen Sonja wearing her engagement ring?
I heard she gave her ring to Mette-Marit!
But I also read that on their engagement day Harald and Sonja went to the jeweller and ordered two simple gold rings... Does anyone know?

Old 09-15-2006, 04:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty
What about Queen Sonja wearing her engagement ring?
I heard she gave her ring to Mette-Marit!
But I also read that on their engagement day Harald and Sonja went to the jeweller and ordered two simple gold rings... Does anyone know?
Queen Sonja gave MM the engagement ring she inherited from CP Maertha, I have seen her wearing a very large pear shaped ring (at least 3 carats) so I guess she has a replacement. The story with the plain shaped bands is when they were dating, but unable to marry, King (then CPrince) he bought a symbolic ring for both of them
Old 09-28-2006, 02:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia
Marie-Chantal's cabochon sapphire and diamond engagment ring...
I like sapphire and diamonds togethor, but this ring is not attractive. (off topic random thought as I'm looking at this ring: Can you say yes to a proposal if you're not excited about the ring?)
Old 09-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquorice
Duchess Sophie of Bavaria same with anne princess's. isn't it?
Duchess Sophie of Bavaria has a very similar engagement ring to the one Princess Anne was given at the time of her engagement to her first husband, Mark Phillips. For her second engagement to Tim Laurence she was given a very similar ring but it has a cabochon sapphire instead of a cut sapphire.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Courtier

This may not be the right site to ask this question but....
what's the difference between a cabochon saphire instead of a cut sapphire?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:51 AM
Gentry

Someone mentioned on one of the earlier pages, and I agree, that it seems to be a very "European" thing to give coloured gems on engagement rings. In Canada, you rarely see anything but diamond rings...if you want to be really, really different, you'd give an engagement ring set w/ another stone - but in Europe (or is it just amongst royalty?), it seems par for the course to give a ring w/ another stone.[/quote]

I think rather than a European or American tradition it's a matter of what is now considered contemporary or not. My own engagement ring is an oval cut ruby surrounded by ten diamonds (a little like Sarah Ferguson's) and I am always receiving comments about how old fashioned my ring is. I think it's lovely though and fairly unique for today.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:09 AM
Gentry

I think queen Beatrix' weddingring is the most beautiful I've ever seen!
Old 09-29-2006, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza
This may not be the right site to ask this question but....
what's the difference between a cabochon saphire instead of a cut sapphire?
cabochon: a gem polished but not faceted. In other words, no glitter and sparkle.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Nobility

princess haya's engagement ring

from mgaproduction
Old 10-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Courtier

Man, she was marrying the ruler od Dubai, you'd think she would have gotten a bigger rock than that. Oh well, if she's happy with it that's all that matters,
Old 10-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Heirloom Engagement Ring Belonged to the Queen Mother

The official news of Britain's Prince Charles' engagement came on February 10, 2005, ending years of speculation about whether or not he and Camilla Parker Bowles would ever wed. Camilla's engagement ring is said to be a platinum and diamond Art Deco era ring once owned by the Queen Mother. The heirloom ring appears to have an emerald cut center diamond with three diamond baguettes on each side of it.
All about HRH the Duchess of Cornwall's engagement ring: http://jewelry.about.com/od/engageme...milla_ring.htm
Old 10-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness

It seems to me that Alex's engagement ring is a larger stone, than the Crown princess's,

Tags
engagement rings, nobility, peer, ring, rings, royal, signet