Royal Rings - all types

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rchainho said:
What i know, who bought letizia's ring was inaki in barcelona, alone.

:eek: Really?! Why? If I were a future bride-to-be (now I am still too young), I would prefer to know, that my fiance had bought my ring himself, it would be more romantic. Maybe Felipe first had chosen the ring in some magazine or sth like that and then Inaki just bought it, because of living in Barcelona.

i noticed most of the wings are worn on the left hand, but i also saw picture where people wore it on right hand, does it mean different things when you wear it on the right hand??

florawindsor said:
i noticed most of the wings are worn on the left hand, but i also saw picture where people wore it on right hand, does it mean different things when you wear it on the right hand??

I think it's a cultural difference only. I know that the Spanish women wear their engagement and wedding rings on the right hand while the other royal ladies wear them on the left hand. Sometimes they separate the engagement and wedding rings by wearing one on each hand. It might be just preference.

It might have something to do with religion; I noticed that Belgium and Spain wore their rings on the right hand.

Last edited:
Princess of Asturias

Attachments

• novia_anillo.jpg
    novia_anillo.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 2,310
rchainho said:
What i know, who bought letizia's ring was inaki in barcelona, alone.
And may I ask how do you know that?
It seems quite nonsense to me, that the engagement ring given by Felipe was something you can buy in a common department store... and moreover that it was bought by his brother-in-law... really it sounds like another crazy story published by gossip magazines...

Elsa M. said:
And may I ask how do you know that?
It seems quite nonsense to me, that the engagement ring given by Felipe was something you can buy in a common department store... and moreover that it was bought by his brother-in-law... really it sounds like another crazy story published by gossip magazines...

Well, Elsa, I understand you can find this quite nonsense, taking account of all that silly stuff from the media, but you have to know that…

-First: The engagement ring given by Felipe to Letizia could be bought in the Suarez's, expensive but accessible shops in Madrid and Barcelona.

-Second: Iñaki bought the ring that, obviously, was chosen previously by Felipe...

-Third: In addition, we have to think that when the ring was bought nobody knew still about the engagement so it would had been very suspicious if Felipe would had bought the ring...

And here and article about that from ABC, a Spanish newspaper considered to be quite serious. (http://www.abc.es/informacion/boda/compromiso/03.asp)

MADRID. Once again the tradition has changed. If in the engagements of the Infantas Elenas Cristina the exchange of gifts consisted in a clock of a Swiss mark and a ring, this time Letizia Ortiz has preferred choosing a cuff-links of white gold and sapphire of the Suárez Company, which she bought herself in the jeweller’s shop in Madrid last Tuesday. Felipe has chosen the classic alliance of white gold and diamonds. The gifts are two exclusive pieces of Suárez design whose price on the market would be about 250.000 pesetas (the cuff-links) and 500.000 pesetas, the alliance, which was bought this week in Suárez's in Barcelona where Felipe's brother-in-law, Iñaki Urdangarín went to entrust this gift (these days the Infanta Cristina was with a stomach problem). The couple have chosen two presents that might be called as normal, with modern designs and with average prices.

With all this maybe you can find that information about Iñaki buying the engagement ring less nonsense but anyway… I repeat you that I understand your opinion. And well… Only Felipe and Letizia know who was the one who bought the ring, no matter what media say…;)

i love farah's (jrf) ring. absolutely stunning. i wish we had a close up on queen alia's because I can't quite see it. ;)

Some of the Engagement Rings (like the Brunei Royals) must have cost a fortune (or they are priceless!)! I don't know if I would want to have the pressure of wearing a ring like that on my shoulders. What would happen if something happened to the ring :eek:. But all of the rings are really nice. I wonder if a lot of the Crown Princesses helped pick the ring out or the design or did the future husbands to be pick them out by themselves?

I like Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's ring. Beautiful 3 diamond ring made from diamonds in Princess Alice of Battenberg's collection. Quite nice and not overbearing!! I like Sophie's ring too--Edward did a great job on that.

I had a copy made of Diana, Princess of Wales' engagement ring!!

pics from engagement rings taken from vip.de

Attachments

• dp_050218_camilla.jpg
    dp_050218_camilla.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,748
  • dp_050218_donaldson.jpg
    dp_050218_donaldson.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,837
  • dp_050218_laetzia.jpg
    dp_050218_laetzia.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,761
  • dp_050218_mette.jpg
    dp_050218_mette.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 2,191
ok i found this on wiki about which finger to wear the wedding ring

In most Western cultures, the wedding ring is worn on the left hand. In some countries, however (such as Germany, Norway, and Chile), it is worn on the right hand. Orthodox Christians, Hindus, East Europeans and Jews also wear the wedding band on the right hand traditionally.

Yes, most of the US engagement rings are diamonds. Usually, it is hard to find a decent engagement ring of quality with another stone. Plus, not everyone will recognize it as an engagement ring either. I went to 25 jewelry stores shopping for an engagement ring about 2 years ago. I only saw one other stone and that was a sapphire. But it was used as an accompanying stone with a diamond. I think after all these years it is a bit of Princess Diana's influence yet. Many celebs are doing colored stones, but it hasn't trickeled down yet. Maybe in the future.

I wanted my engagement ring to be really unique. I also wanted 3 stones. But in the end I bought a ring that looked antique with hand engraving and scroll work around the band and a diamond in the center with smaller diamonds down the side. It is platinum and yellow gold. I really like it b/c it was very unique. Many people were suprised it was my engagement ring. But that is why I love it. I don't think that you can really find a decent engagement ring that isn't a diamond here. Maybe in really large cities or on the coast but not everyday. However, maybe it will change. And I suppose you can always get one custom made.

Does anyone have a close up of Mabel's and Laurentian's of the Netherlands engagement rings? We've seen them from a distance in official potraits but nothing close up to see the details. Anyone have one??

I like the fact that camilla's ring is an heirloom, but its so old fashioned. I reallly think she should have gone for a more modern, less stiff setting.

Queen Alia's wedding band/engagement ring

Scanned from a photo I have of her.

Attachments

• qaring.jpg
    qaring.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,499
Queen Noor's engagement ring

Again, from a photo I have of her.

Attachments

• qnring.jpg
    qnring.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,818
Engagement ring of Laura Ponte (wife of King Juan Carlos' nephew Beltrán Gomez-Acebo). Photo from Hola:

Attachments

• lauraponte.jpg
    lauraponte.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,691
the ring is very similar of Diana's ring. This ring wasn't from Infanta Pilar?

I think Mary of Denmark's engagement ring is lovely as I hate huge gaudy rings e.g Diana's, Camilla's etc. However I dislike wedding bands that are covered in diamonds as I think they look tacky so I'm not a fan of her wedding ring. I think you can't beat a simple traditional gold band and think one of these would have looked so much more tasteful with her engagement ring.

Engagement rings of the Spanish ladies

Click to enlarge;)

Elena (APL Pictures & Corbis)

Cristina (Corbis & IBL)

Letizia (Corbis & Hola scanned by annaraiko)

Cristina's ring and Letizia's ring are alike, I think is because both are practical women who like to do their own things so a big rock would get in the way!!

Yay, I found a picture of Aimee's engagement ring. Here it is, it was on the website www.worldroots.com

Does Letizia just have a band or was that also her engagement ring? Also, is is it a custom to wear wedding rings on the right hand in some countries, because I noticed Letizia was wearing hers on her left and I think I noticed a couple of other royals doing the same thing. Thanks!

Emily

Last edited:
I think Princess Soraya's ring is awful. It looks like a piece of glass. Tacky.

RoyalEnquirer said:
Does Letizia just have a band or was that also her engagement ring? Also, is is it a custom to wear wedding rings on the right hand in some countries, because I noticed Letizia was wearing hers on her left and I think I noticed a couple of other royals doing the same thing. Thanks!

Emily

Letizia uses her engagement ring on the left hand and her wedding band on the right. (On the wedding ceremony, they put the bands on each other's right fingers, Felipe now uses his on the left, but Letizia keeps hers on the right)

This is her band (Casa Real & Corbis)

Jasl said:
What does letizia's wedding ring look like (perhaps wrong topic though).
nouwrein said:
I think they have a simple gold band as wedding ring
Felipe's
Letizia's
In Spain (like in Portugal and other countries) the wedding rings look all like the same: simple yellow gold bands... the precious stones are left for the engagement rings...

Paulina said:
My vote for most interesting ring goes to Clothilde's ring of hearts. I just think it interesting that the heart is facing a left or right direction, instead of facing Clothilde or facing the person who would be shaking or kissing her hand.
I thought the same, when I saw it... perhaps it's due to the fact that all the other diamond hearts are placed in the same direction...

I agree this is my favourite one (although I also liked Letizia's/Cristina's very much, but this one is far more special and unique
).

Last edited:
I think CP Letizia have the most beautiful engagement ring :) I love it:):):)

Back
Top Bottom