The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

To those inquiring about Queen Sonja's engagement ring... Actually, I believe that the engagement ring that Mette-Marit wears is one that has passed down in the family. Crown Princess Märtha was the first to wear it, then Harald gave it to Sonja, and now Haakon has given it to Mette-Marit.

Anyone's free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Gentry

I have an old book about different royals, and in that it says that Harald and Sonja went into a jewelrystore and picked out the cheapest rings they could find. His kosted 63 kr. and her ring kosted 61 kr. In his she wrote "your Sonja", in her ring he wrote "your Harald"...

Old 12-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

That might have been rings they bought before they were officially engaged... because I just found the link where I read the previous news: http://tux1.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/d177664.htm (The Press Conference following Haakon and Mette-Marit's engagement)

I'll try to see if I can find a picture from the press conference that was held when Harald and Sonja became engaged.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Gentry

I'm sure you're right! Anyway I thought it was cute what they wrote in eachother's rings!...Great page you linked!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Someone can explain me why Infanta Elena and Queen Sophia doesn't wear the engagement rings? Why the kings os spain and the dukes of lugo wear the wedding ring in the little figger?
Old 12-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho
Why the kings os spain and the dukes of lugo wear the wedding ring in the little figger?
Are you sure? It could be on their right ring finger. For some reason that I don' know, some Catholics wear their wedding rings on the right finger. As the the Queen and the Infanta's engagement rings, engagement rings aren't as important as the wedding ring. It could have just been a, sort of place-holder for the wedding ring.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Crown Princess Sarah of Brunei
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Queen Saleha of Brunei
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=67342

Gosh! What is that? An engagement ring or a wealthy display?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=67342

Gosh! What is that? An engagement ring or a wealthy display?
The women of the Brueian royal family, especially the Queen, wear spectacular jewels not just on special occasions, but on their official duties. Its not so much about display I think, because everyone already knows how incredibly wealthy they are, its more like tradition. That just seems to be the way they do things.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Courtier

I like princess sarah's ring.... but the queen's ring seems too big for her finger. Thanks for the picts
Old 12-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
Are you sure? It could be on their right ring finger. For some reason that I don' know, some Catholics wear their wedding rings on the right finger. As the the Queen and the Infanta's engagement rings, engagement rings aren't as important as the wedding ring. It could have just been a, sort of place-holder for the wedding ring.
No in the little fingr they have the marriage ring and the royal family ring. Just that!
Old 12-18-2004, 02:03 AM
Nobility

I like CP Sara's ring.Its so simple but rich
Old 02-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

The engagement ring of Camilla Parker-Bowles, soon to be HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, the ring is an emerald cut diamond of a few carats:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camilla ring.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	92363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camilla ring2.jpg
Views:	1196
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	92379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camilla ring3.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	92380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camilla ring4.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	92381  

Name:	Camilla ring5.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	92382  
Old 02-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

News reports are saying that Camilla's ring is a family heirloom. Does anybody recognise it as belonging to one of the previous generation of royal ladies?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Courtier

I have no idea.

Anyway, Charles doesn't seem to have done too much effort; I prefer a new ring made from family stones and with a personal touch, like the Queen's engagement ring. :)
Old 02-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Camilla Parker-Bowles's ring is appararently a family heirloom - so it might not just be something the press is saying. Apparently the ring last belonged to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Here is a picture of her wearing it, from Getty:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	QM ring.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	93237  
Old 02-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Courtier

The Queen Mum might be rolling in her grave to have Camilla wear something she valued so much. It's been frequently said that the Queen Mum was an adamant and staunch opposer of Charle's relationship with Camilla.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
The Queen Mum might be rolling in her grave to have Camilla wear something she valued so much. It's been frequently said that the Queen Mum was an adamant and staunch opposer of Charle's relationship with Camilla.
I agree. I'm shocked he'd give her the ring of the Grandmother he supposedly adored.

Someone mentioned on one of the earlier pages, and I agree, that it seems to be a very "European" thing to give coloured gems on engagement rings. In Canada, you rarely see anything but diamond rings...if you want to be really, really different, you'd give an engagement ring set w/ another stone - but in Europe (or is it just amongst royalty?), it seems par for the course to give a ring w/ another stone.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Gentry

hmm i find the ring gaudy. would have preferred it reset, the center stone is ok, but having emerald cuts as side stones as well makes the ring outdated... it wouldve been nice if the ring was victorian or edwardian... or a simple solitaire with maybe crescent diamond sidestones...

Tags
engagement rings, nobility, peer, ring, rings, royal, signet