The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

My all time favorite engagement ring is Clothilde's of Italy. It's very unique ring. My second favorite Maxima's.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Commoner

I don't like the ring either. It's over the top.
Personally when going for a diamond one like CP Victoria's is much more elegant. Less is more,so the saying goes.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have to say I'm surprised that the contemporary modern royal or noble women are choosing the mundane white diamond. They are lovely, to be sure -- but really quite boring. For us commoners, a nice 1/3 carat white diamond is the norm. However, these days, it seems that modern non-royal brides-to-be are helping their intended pay for larger stones. I find this distasteful, but it is part of current life. I'm dismayed that royals don't go for unusual, large, mega-expensive stones for their rings, such as a red diamond, alexandrite, spinel, secondary or tirtiary Burma rubies and sapphires. I guess it's a trend, but I miss the unusual European engagement jewelry of the past.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Nobility

Charlene W's engagement ring sort of reminds me of a Super Bowl ring!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's too funny! Wish we could see a better photo of her ring. The pic posted here looks like it is pear shaped, but doesn't look like one big stone, maybe pave or maybe not. Someone will have a good photo to post soon, I'm sure.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Now that's a photo of the very average American engagement ring.

Harking back a few posts to "I don't like that...", I guess I'm a jewelry w_o_e, but I like 'em all. Being an American, some of them don't fit the definition of an enagagement ring for the average American woman, but I like it when the intended chooses the ring. I especially am very surprised at the comments on the rings of Princess Grace and Queen/Princess Saroya. What's not to like about them? Everyone likes plain and simple - both their rings are that. BIG, but plain and simple.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Think i need to see a proper front picture of Charlene's ring before i pass judgement on it but goodness it is huge
Agreed, I have not yet seen a close enough picture of the ring to be able to fully comment on it, so I reserve judgement for now.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here's a link with a photo. The ring is not shown on Charlene's hand, probably a jeweler photo. Other articles describe the stone as 3 carats, but it really does look much larger on her hand -- like 5 to 7 carats.

The Scoop on the Future Princess of Monaco’s Engagement Ring – Style News - StyleWatch - People.com
Old 07-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
I believe Maxima's ring is a rare orange diamond. Very expensive!!
There are natural orange and treated to be orange diamonds. Maxima's could be either, but I would hope (due to financial means) that her's is "real." Even diamonds treated to bring out various colors (blue, green, red, etc.) are "real."

There are many famous orange diamonds but the most famous orange diamond is The Pumpkin Diamond. The Pumpkin is a 5.54 carats vivid orange diamond. There is a photo of this diamond in one of my gem books, but I'm sure there is one somewhere on the internet. The Pumpkin is currently valued for over US$3 million.

If my eye doesn't deceive me, Maxima's orange stone is probably 2 carats. Natural or treated, it is one gemmy gem! Love it!
Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Photo from Reuters Pictures Charlene's ring

Old 07-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Nobility

If we compare this one:
http://www.nettavisen.no/imagecache/..._7759323x4.jpg

with this one:
Photo from Reuters Pictures

it looks different - from size and style - like not the same ring.....
Old 07-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that is the same ring. It's lovely.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Nobility

It definately looks smaller in the second picture. The setting doesn't look the same at all.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Nobility

Duchess of Cornwall antique ring
http://www.antique-jewelry-investor....-cornwall.html
Old 07-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Duchess of Cornwall's ring is my Dream ring.....so elegant and expensive!! I hope my husband doesn't see this!!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Nice rings on QM

http://littleroyals.web-log.nl/.a/6a...5cc0585970c-pi
Old 08-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

If anyone has a hankering for a ring in the style of Chlotilde's engagement, they are available at Garrard. It's featured with all diamonds, but I'm sure they would accommodate replacing one of the heart shapes with a ruby...or sapphire...or, well, anything. I'm liking it more and more.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Daniel tells at the official wedding book "Vårt bröllop", that he had ordered Victoria´s engagement ring from a jeweler abroad, to keep the engagement secret. They had discussed about the ring before. Victoria had wanted a ring quite similar to her mother´s engagement ring. Victoria tells in the book: My mother got the ring of my grandmother, princess Sibylla when she became engaged to dad. Our rings remind eachother. I like the tradition and that the ring has connection to the past.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Commoner

to go slightly off topic but still involving royal rings,call me crazy and superstitious but as much as i love emeralds i'm beginning to think that of you have one in your engagement ring,it's going to bring serious bad luck.
the following ladies who had emerald engagement rings lost their husbands early: Queen Victoria,Princess Caroline(heard her e.ring from Stefano had an emerald),Lady Helen Taylor(came close to losing Tim) the only exception was the duchess of Windsor(they had a long marriage). I would like to add for the sake of my superstitious argument that although she wasn't royal Jackie Kennedy's engagement ring from JFK had an emerald and so did Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. Anyone care to share their thoughts about this?
Old 10-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Serene Highness

I think Princess Grace also had an emerald.

Tags
engagement rings, nobility, peer, ring, rings, royal, signet