Royal Jewels by Van Cleef and Arpels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

constance

Commoner
City
Manila
Country
Philippines
Van Cleef and Arpels is one of the leading suppliers of jewelery to royalty.

Please post your favorite pieces and include descriptions, details, etc when possible.

Princess Soraya's Jewels

Collar out of platinum and white gold.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17328&d=1063800421

Clip of reverse out of platinum, gold, ruby and diamonds Van Cleef & Arpels - rings out of gold ruby and diamonds - Jewels doors at the time of the official voyages to the USA in December 1954 or India in February

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17330&d=1063800695

Sucession of Pincess Soraya Esfandiary Bakhtiary Hanging of ear out of platinum and white gold, emerald and diamonds Van Cleef & Arpels - rings in plain
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17331&d=1063800751

Last edited:
zarzuela:

that ruby necklace (and matching earrings?) is way too fabulous!!!

by the way, are those rubies cabochons?

is there something that is their design?
Does norway, sweden or denmark have jewllery made by the company?

is there something that is their design?
Does norway, sweden or denmark have jewllery made by the company?

Speaking for Denmark I think Marengo is correct, but the thing is that members of the DRF normally don't offer much information about their private jewellery!

I was thinking of the photo of Queen Anne-Marie above, which was posted in 2006. Actually it shows Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark, the picture was taken shortly before her 18th birthday in 1964, some three weeks before her wedding.

My book on Danish RF* doesn't say anything about the provenance of the diamond & ruby necklace. It is no doubt a gift from King Constantine or another Greek party ( he had a number of wealthy friends!).

Anne-Marie is wearing two diamond stars. They belonged to her mother, who didn't allow her daugthers to wear tiaras until they turned 18. The stars were bequeathed by Queen Victoria of Sweden to her grand daughter princess Ingrid.

* Bjarne Steen Jensen: Juvelerne i det danske kongehus, NNF 2002

Last edited:
First of all,thank you so much for the thread :flowers: I always admired Van Cleef and Arpels Jewels.And Anna-Maria's photo is really beautiful.As I can see,Greeks tend to prefer VC&A jewels-even Stavros Niarchos chose a gift from them for Q.Sofia-which is very nice.Or maybe it's just a coincidence ;)

I think Queen Anne-Marie's ruby and diamond parure was a wedding gift from Aristotle Onassis.

:ohmy: You're kidding me...Are you sure?I remember some months ago I made a question at the Greek royal threads about the relationship between Onassis and Constantine(or anyone of his relatives) and nobody knew.Then I thought that there was absolutely no connection between them.Now I'm so surprised by the fact or the possibility that the former Queen could have received a present like that from A.Onassis.Could you please provide a link or suggest a book that mentions this as a fact?A biography perhaps?Thank you in advance :flowers:

I don't remember seeing anything about Constantine and Onassis being connected. What I do remember reading is that Constantine had (still have?) a number of Greek well-to-do friends.

That aside, I believe it would not have been completely out of character for Aristotle Onassis to give something like the vC&A necklace for a wedding present. The question is whether the Greek RF would have accepted it??

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly,Viv.Could Constantine have accepted it?I'm saying this because Onassis could make Greece the "Monaco of eastern Mediterranean Sea" if he wanted to.The most important part of the story is that he offered so much to Monaco hoping that beautiful princess Grace would notice it...;)
I mean,everyone knew he was a womanizer,who generally prefered "difficult" cases-needless to say,when Pr.Renier realised what was going on,their relationship got so much worse-that's why I strongly doubt A.Onassis was accepted by Constantine's environment...:nonono:
I know I'm off topic.Anyway,sorry :flowers:

My experience is that it is difficult to stay 100 pct. on course if you are engaged in a subject:)! Nobody does that in a one-to-one conversation, and it also happens in a dynamic exchange on a forum like this! (sorry mods! )

Iakynthi, I believe that you are right; Onassis was a no-go for the Greek royal family, whereas the more discreet Greek tycoons might have been in royal favour! I don't know any names, I'm afraid!

By the way I wonder whether Anna-Maria still has the necklace?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering about the same thing,because I know that they had to sell many jewels the first years of their exile.It would be a pity,they are exceptional pieces and the most important,they suit her a lot.

Van Cleef and Arpels exhibition in 'Art Dubai'

For those who are in or who plan to visit Dubai...
from 18 March 2009
Gulfnews: Deputy Ruler of Dubai opens Art Dubai 2009

Van Cleef and Arpels' museum-quality exhibition at Art Dubai, The Art of Magical Jewels, will showcase more than 150 pieces of jewellery.

I think Queen Anne-Marie's ruby and diamond parure was a wedding gift from Aristotle Onassis.

The ruby parure of Queen Sofia is often referred to as the "Niarchos Rubies". There is also a tiara to go with it, but the Queen hasn't been seen with it for a long time. The necklace is versatile and can be worn as a choker, a double row necklace, or as a sautoir at the waist. It indeed was a wedding gift by Stavros Niarchos, not by Onassis. That must be a mix-up:rolleyes:
I wonder what happened to the tiara, I would love to see it again:flowers::flowers:

The ruby parure of Queen Sofia is often referred to as the "Niarchos Rubies". There is also a tiara to go with it, but the Queen hasn't been seen with it for a long time. The necklace is versatile and can be worn as a choker, a double row necklace, or as a sautoir at the waist. It indeed was a wedding gift by Stavros Niarchos, not by Onassis. That must be a mix-up:rolleyes:
I wonder what happened to the tiara, I would love to see it again:flowers::flowers:

You're talking about Queen Sofia's wedding gift when she married Prince Juan Carlos. That was from Niarchos.

I believe Anne-Marie's parure was a gift from Onassis when she married Crown Prince Constantine.

Since we haven't seen this on her since she and Constantine fled Greece in the late 1960s, can we assume that she left this behind and no longer has it in her possession?

My guess would be that she either left it or sold it at some point after the family left Greece. I don't recall seeing this set of rubies and diamonds or these pieces either since the family left Greece.

http://i39.tinypic.com/348t7c4.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/24ccewp.jpg

So, I think that your assumption may be correct.

Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall has a ballerina brooch from Van Cleef and Arpels.

Sofia's Rubies do not work well as a Tiara and should be just kept as a necklace.

Sofia's Rubies do not work well as a Tiara and should be just kept as a necklace.

As a hair piece, it looks small , but it is niece nonetheless.

I doubt Felipe and Letizia will inherit the ruby parure. In fact, I suspect Sofia might leave it to Cristina.

Back
Top Bottom