Royal and Noble Families of Italy Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer it in the simpler shape with some if the arches removed,I'd forgotten that Marina,Princess of Naples wore it a few years back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more photos of Italian tiaras:

:previous: That is a lovely picture of (I guess) Princess Maria Pia and Queen Marie José. Did I identify them correctly?
Marc, do you know at which event the photo was taken?

I like them both though I don't like think wearing glasses with the Musy tiara does the wearer or the tiara any justice I like it though. The other one is so beautiful IMO

:previous: That is a lovely picture of (I guess) Princess Maria Pia and Queen Marie José. Did I identify them correctly?
Marc, do you know at which event the photo was taken?

Yes,you did :)

Well,I am not sure...It could be one of the events in Belgium since the Queen was wearing a different tiara for the pre-wedding ball of her daughter and Prince Alexander...

Maria Pia was wearing the same tiara for the pre-wedding ball and her mother's tiara posted above for the actual wedding...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info IloveCP. That is one of the most lovely pearl and diamond tiaras. Im glad Princess Camilla has it. She can be quite outrageous in her clothes so its nice to know she purchased some of her husbands legacy. Why not if you can afford it...right?

Attachments

• Bourbon-Parma Diamond Tiara by Chaumet.jpg
    Bourbon-Parma Diamond Tiara by Chaumet.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,451
Last edited by a moderator:
Several pieces of jewellery that belonged to the Duchess of Genoa, née Princess Lydia of Arenberg will be on sale at Christie's Auction in Geneva. The auction will take place on November 12:

Google Translate

Among the jewels being sold are pins and necklaces of other members of the House of Savoy, including a pearl and diamond brooch which was given to Princess Lydia by Queen Elena for her wedding.

Google Translate

Just in case anyone's interested, Noblesse & Royautes have also linked the auction's catalogue, which has more information about the jewels and a preview of the auction which is taking place in 5th Avenue, New York. You can find them here and here.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Savoy Pink Tourmaline Tiara

Without a doubt, this tiara is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. It is beyond magnificent. The shade of pink on those stones are just stunning. I love the floral design, and the earrings and necklace/bracelet are very beautiful as well. This tiara is truly regal and breathtaking.

The Savoy Pink Tourmaline Tiara is still in the family jewel box,I know very little about the House of Savoy jewels & assumed they would have sold them all by now.

v HRH The Duchess of Castro, wearing what appears to be diamond & ruby jewellery, at this year's Rose Ball in Monaco.

The Thumbnail images form small cropped portions of much larger photographs.

Attachments

• Duchess of Castro rubies, Rose Ball Monaco 2014 1.jpg
    Duchess of Castro rubies, Rose Ball Monaco 2014 1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,427
  • Duchess of Castro rubies, Rose Ball Monaco 2014 2.jpg
    Duchess of Castro rubies, Rose Ball Monaco 2014 2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,516
Queen Marie Jose wearing the diamonds and pearls tiara inherited from Impress Charlotte of Mexico, which used to belong to Impress of France Josephine Bonaparte, according to the tradition

Is this tiara of Queen Carola of Saxony the same,or maybe similar to this one?

Last edited:
Is this tiara of Queen Carola of Saxony the same,or maybe similar to this one?

YES, I think you found a match, Marc23! Once again you found some fascinating rare pic. Thanks for posting!

The tiara was made around 1830 for Stephanie de Beauharnais, Grand Duchess of Baden (it is sometimes wrongly attributed to Stephanie’s relative Empress Josephine.) Stephanie’s granddaughter Marie of Hohenzollern married the Count of Flanders and so the tiara passed into the Belgium RF.

But Queen Carola of Sachsen was another granddaughter of Stephanie de Beauharnais through her eldest daughter Luise of Baden. She must have inherited it first. And since King Albert and Queen Carola of Sachsen had not issue, the tiara must have passed to her cousin, the Countess of Flanders, after her death.

Last edited:
Princess Marie Gabrielle is the jewel seller of the family ! Does she need money ?
His brother kept his jewels but her sisters Maria Pia and Maria Beatrice I don't know if they kept theirs ?

Princess Marie Gabrielle is the jewel seller of the family ! Does she need money ?
His brother kept his jewels but her sisters Maria Pia and Maria Beatrice I don't know if they kept theirs ?
The floral tiara of Queen Margharita was sold by Princess Maria Beatrice.

I don’t know if Maria Pia was able to keep some jewels, but I haven’t seen a family tiara on any of her descendants.

I think that Maria Gabriella kept her pearl and diamond tiara. At least her daughter wore it in 2003 at her wedding.

I don’t know what happened to the ears-of-wheat tiara, but afaik it hasn’t been seen for decades.

YES, I think you found a match, Marc23! Once again you found some fascinating rare pic. Thanks for posting!

The tiara was made around 1830 for Stephanie de Beauharnais, Grand Duchess of Baden (it is sometimes wrongly attributed to Stephanie’s relative Empress Josephine.) Stephanie’s granddaughter Marie of Hohenzollern married the Count of Flanders and so the tiara passed into the Belgium RF.

But Queen Carola of Sachsen was another granddaughter of Stephanie de Beauharnais through her eldest daughter Luise of Baden. She must have inherited it first. And since King Albert and Queen Carola of Sachsen had not issue, the tiara must have passed to her cousin, the Countess of Flanders, after her death.

Yes ecxactly it is like you say. The tiara was left first to Princess Carola of Vasa married to King Albert of Saxony. Queen Carola left the tiara to her cousin Princess Marie, Countess of Flanders, who left it to her granddaughter Princess marie-José. The tiara was in the auction bought by the staatowned Castles and Gardens in Badfen-Württemberg and is now on display at Mannheim Castle where it's first owner Grand Duchess Stephanie of Baden lived for many years.

I wonder what do think Prince Dimitry , Princess Maria Pia 's son who is himself a famous jewel designer !

I think she sold it few years ago :(

:sad:Really? What makes you think so?
She sold many jewels, but the sales are quite well documented because they occured through an auction house. It was all very public and well advertised as jewellery originating from the Italian royal family. The pearl and diamond tiara was not amoung the auctioned pieces. And I don't see why she would have sold the tiara privately, when auctions usually fetch better prices.

:previous:
I think the confusion may lie in the fact there were two pearl tiaras.

Princess Marie Gabriella's somewhat ungainly* Savoy fleur de lys diamond & pearl tiara [thumbnail 1] wasn't put up for auction in 2007 while the quite elegant Stephanie de Beauharnais medieval-style pearl tiara [thumbnail 2] was.
* euphemism for 'ugly'

Attachments

• Savoy Diamond & Pearl Tiara Marie Gabriella.jpg
    Savoy Diamond & Pearl Tiara Marie Gabriella.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,494
  • Savoy Stephanie de Beauharnais Tiara, sold 2007 Pcess Marie Gabriella.jpg
    Savoy Stephanie de Beauharnais Tiara, sold 2007 Pcess Marie Gabriella.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,875
:previous:
I think the confusion may lie in the fact there were two pearl tiaras.

Princess Marie Gabriella's somewhat ungainly* Savoy fleur de lys diamond & pearl tiara [thumbnail 1] wasn't put up for auction in 2007 while the quite elegant Stephanie de Beauharnais medieval-style pearl tiara [thumbnail 2] was.
* euphemism for 'ugly'
Oh yes, I think you are right, Warren:flowers:.
I didn't notice how confusing it was with the two different pearl tiaras.

I think that the small Beauharnais pearl tiara (2nd pic) was chosen for sale because it was expected to fetch the better price, with it's promenent history and old age. The same goes for the exquisite Faberge tiara. These two were bound to bring more cash than the comparatively new pearl and diamond tiara (first pic).

Princess Marie Gabriella's only daughter wore the Savoy fleur de lys diamond & pearl tiara on her wedding day. It is a wonderful tiara !

Here is a picture of the wedding of Maria Gabriella's daughter Marie-Elisabeth Zellinger de Balkany y Savoy & Olivier Janssen.
http://s28.postimg.org/xl4srbhtp/Zellinger_de_Balkany.jpg
I too quite like this tiara, but it seems it was made for Maria Gabriella, and thus does not have that much of a royal history. The Beauharnais pearl tiara just goes back many more generations within the family.

Back
Top Bottom