The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
YES, I think you found a match, Marc23! Once again you found some fascinating rare pic. Thanks for posting!

The tiara was made around 1830 for Stephanie de Beauharnais, Grand Duchess of Baden (it is sometimes wrongly attributed to Stephanie’s relative Empress Josephine.) Stephanie’s granddaughter Marie of Hohenzollern married the Count of Flanders and so the tiara passed into the Belgium RF.

But Queen Carola of Sachsen was another granddaughter of Stephanie de Beauharnais through her eldest daughter Luise of Baden. She must have inherited it first. And since King Albert and Queen Carola of Sachsen had not issue, the tiara must have passed to her cousin, the Countess of Flanders, after her death.
Yes ecxactly it is like you say. The tiara was left first to Princess Carola of Vasa married to King Albert of Saxony. Queen Carola left the tiara to her cousin Princess Marie, Countess of Flanders, who left it to her granddaughter Princess marie-José. The tiara was in the auction bought by the staatowned Castles and Gardens in Badfen-Württemberg and is now on display at Mannheim Castle where it's first owner Grand Duchess Stephanie of Baden lived for many years.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-13-2014, 04:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post

I think that Maria Gabriella kept her pearl and diamond tiara. At least her daughter wore it in 2003 at her wedding.
I think she sold it few years ago :(

Old 07-13-2014, 06:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder what do think Prince Dimitry , Princess Maria Pia 's son who is himself a famous jewel designer !
Old 07-14-2014, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
I think she sold it few years ago :(
Really? What makes you think so?
She sold many jewels, but the sales are quite well documented because they occured through an auction house. It was all very public and well advertised as jewellery originating from the Italian royal family. The pearl and diamond tiara was not amoung the auctioned pieces. And I don't see why she would have sold the tiara privately, when auctions usually fetch better prices.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Administrator

I think the confusion may lie in the fact there were two pearl tiaras.

Princess Marie Gabriella's somewhat ungainly* Savoy fleur de lys diamond & pearl tiara [thumbnail 1] wasn't put up for auction in 2007 while the quite elegant Stephanie de Beauharnais medieval-style pearl tiara [thumbnail 2] was.
* euphemism for 'ugly'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Savoy Diamond & Pearl Tiara Marie Gabriella.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	292056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Savoy Stephanie de Beauharnais Tiara, sold 2007 Pcess Marie Gabriella.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	292057  
Old 07-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

I think the confusion may lie in the fact there were two pearl tiaras.

Princess Marie Gabriella's somewhat ungainly* Savoy fleur de lys diamond & pearl tiara [thumbnail 1] wasn't put up for auction in 2007 while the quite elegant Stephanie de Beauharnais medieval-style pearl tiara [thumbnail 2] was.
* euphemism for 'ugly'
Oh yes, I think you are right, Warren.
I didn't notice how confusing it was with the two different pearl tiaras.

I think that the small Beauharnais pearl tiara (2nd pic) was chosen for sale because it was expected to fetch the better price, with it's promenent history and old age. The same goes for the exquisite Faberge tiara. These two were bound to bring more cash than the comparatively new pearl and diamond tiara (first pic).
Old 07-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Marie Gabriella's only daughter wore the Savoy fleur de lys diamond & pearl tiara on her wedding day. It is a wonderful tiara !
Old 07-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a picture of the wedding of Maria Gabriella's daughter Marie-Elisabeth Zellinger de Balkany y Savoy & Olivier Janssen.
http://s28.postimg.org/xl4srbhtp/Zel...de_Balkany.jpg
I too quite like this tiara, but it seems it was made for Maria Gabriella, and thus does not have that much of a royal history. The Beauharnais pearl tiara just goes back many more generations within the family.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks Tilla C and for all your interesting posts MO

Tags
jewellery, savoy