Royal Emerald Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are these emeralds that came from the Norwegian tiara? How many emeralds did Princess Ingeborg have to play with, exactly?

Not quiet clear. Princess Ingeborg removed the pendants from the necklace now in Norway and gave it to her daughters, but Queen Astrid had also an emerald cross, which could have been used to create this tiara.

Simply amazing that a former reigning like the Greek RF have a better jewel collection that a reigning house like the Belgians!

The Greek jewellery collection is amazing, and credit to the family for keeping it so much of it together for so long after loosing the throne.

The Belgians do have a small collection, and one would hope that Mathilde starts to build up that collection slowly and discretely.

I have often wondered why the different families have not purchased more jewels. Now that Covid has struck there has not been a lot of dinners, parties and like activities. Most have been cancelled or minimized. I wonder if the Families now think it is a good time to not spend money on such beauties but use it for other needed items for their countries, no matter if is a personal purchase or purchased by the government. I don’t see parties become a big thing anymore. I hope I am wrong, we will have to wait and see.

Simply amazing that a former reigning like the Greek RF have a better jewel collection that a reigning house like the Belgians!

The Greek Royals' jewels are from Denmark, Russia, Hanover, you name it. Their very tight connections with the Spanish, Danish and British RFs suggest that they need to hold on to the jewels as they themselves are always included in formal events where historical jewels are expected. I think that such jewelry helps people preserve their sense of identity.

I know that didn't come out right.

The amazing emerald drops worn by Queen Freddi and Queen Anne-Marie ... well, I'd like to see a new setting for them. An elegant necklace with no clumsy pendant.

I have often wondered why the different families have not purchased more jewels. Now that Covid has struck there has not been a lot of dinners, parties and like activities. Most have been cancelled or minimized. I wonder if the Families now think it is a good time to not spend money on such beauties but use it for other needed items for their countries, no matter if is a personal purchase or purchased by the government. I don’t see parties become a big thing anymore. I hope I am wrong, we will have to wait and see.

Usually there are just two or three State Visits per year. And increasingly the dresscode is no more white tie (which requires big jewels) but black tie or even 'just" suit-and-tie.

Apart from that also the State Visits have changed: no longer three days with two banquets and an evening at the Opera or so, three days with glittering jewels.

Even when Queen Máxima dazzled with grand jewels at the Dutch State Banquet in London: she wore no complete parure ánd there was no traditional second or third gala banquet. Queen Beatrix had three evenings with white tie in one visit (the British gala banquet at Buckingham Palace, the Lord Mayor's Banquet at the London Guildhall, the Dutch Gala Banquet at Hampton Court).

Another example is Paris, where French presidents used to pack out at the Élysée, at Versailles, at Fontainebleau, with royal ladies usually wearing their grandest parures. Now the dresscode for a diner the Palais de l'Élysée (but also in Berlin, in Rome, in Washington) is suit-and-tie or, in exceptional cases, black tie.

This means that there simply is no need for grand jewels. Look at Monaco: they seldom or never have State Visits, have no white tie events in the principality, so that ends up with Princess Caroline as only wearer of some historical pieces. If the possibilities are so rare, it is not strange royal families think their collections are sufficient.

Last edited:

A few points:

> In these times, personal wealth of the royal families is typically spent on jewellery, and not government monies. So the decision to purchase further jewellery or not is a personal decision, and usually does not take into account if the money can instead be used for government expenditure.

> IMO, the single factor that limits further purchases of jewellery by royals is PR and not wanting to appear profligate to the public. That said, different families do continue to add to their collections from time to time, just not the way Queen Mary would have done. For example, Mary acquired a new tiara, Maxima has her tutti-frutti necklace and emerald earrings, Camilla has her collection of chokers and Silvia just wore a new pair of emerald and diamond earrings.

> Despite the trend for fewer white tie events, royal families tend to have enough events in the course of the year to wear serious jewellery.

The Greek Royals' jewels are from Denmark, Russia, Hanover, you name it. Their very tight connections with the Spanish, Danish and British RFs suggest that they need to hold on to the jewels as they themselves are always included in formal events where historical jewels are expected. I think that such jewelry helps people preserve their sense of identity.

I know that didn't come out right.

The amazing emerald drops worn by Queen Freddi and Queen Anne-Marie ... well, I'd like to see a new setting for them. An elegant necklace with no clumsy pendant.
I have a particular attraction for the Romanov emerald parure, out of the beauty also for the historical value and the adventures it went through to still exist, especially how Queen Olga managed to save them from the bolcheviques.
Furthermore, now that the family doesn't reign anymore, I feel a little sorry about the parures future destiny. Will it go to Marie Chantal / Maria Olympia, with their glittering Hollywood life?
Will it go to Pcs Alexia and her simple low key life?
It will tremendously fit to Princess Tatiana, but she does not leave such life neither.
The fact is that historical parures are better in reigning families, as occasions to wear them are more an more. The non reigning, wear it only in weddings or some baptisms.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

I have a particular attraction for the Romanov emerald parure, out of the beauty also for the historical value and the adventures it went through to still exist, especially how Queen Olga managed to save them from the bolcheviques.
Furthermore, now that the family doesn't reign anymore, I feel a little sorry about the parures future destiny. Will it go to Marie Chantal / Maria Olympia, with their glittering Hollywood life?
It will tremendously fit to Princess Tatiana, but she does not leave such life neither.
The fact is that historical parures are better in reigning families, as occasions to wear them are more an more. The non reigning, wear it only in weddings or some baptisms.

The future of the Greek royal jewels, not just the emeralds, is an interesting question. I do not quite know how the family will resolve this, as I am sure, barring the Crown Prince and Princess, the others will probably prefer to have the money from a sale of the jewels.

Might it be possible for the Danish royal family to acquire the Khedieve tiara? The Danes tend not to flash their cash about, but I hope a way can be found for the tiara to return to the Danish main line.

The future of the Greek royal jewels, not just the emeralds, is an interesting question. I do not quite know how the family will resolve this, as I am sure, barring the Crown Prince and Princess, the others will probably prefer to have the money from a sale of the jewels.

Might it be possible for the Danish royal family to acquire the Khedieve tiara? The Danes tend not to flash their cash about, but I hope a way can be found for the tiara to return to the Danish main line.

Maybe King Constantine can donate it into the ownership of a family foundation, like so many other non-reigning (and some reigning) royal families have done.

When it is all in private ownership, a break up of the collection will be unavoidable in furtherer future as natural persons are subjected to equal inheritance rules (on the Continent) and of course to succession taxes.

Creating a legal entity as owner solves this but "deprives" heirs from quite substantial individual private wealth for the benefit of shared commonwealth.

Last edited:

The Greek royals are not broke at least not CP Pavlos and his wife, and Philippos is married to a wealthy girl so I don’t think there’s much to worry about. They can put it in a vault or trust or foundation if they have no liquidity or capital issues. Also there are non-reigning families who have events and some even wealthier than the reigning families and can afford to keep their jewels.

Back
Top Bottom