Royal and Noble Families of Italy Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm I've seen the picture pop up now and again before, but I can't remember any details.

Too bad. :(

This Odescalchi tiara looks so grand, like most tiaras of Italian noble families, which just pop up from time to time.

Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies wore jewelry from Generoso Gioielli for her 18th birthday portraits. She is the daughter of the Duke of Castro, one of the claimants to the head of the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies. I got lucky identifying them because after searching around a bit with no luck I noticed the "Official Suppliers of the Royal House of Bourbon of the Two Sicilies" on the family's website and Generose Gioielli was one of them. I've never heard of them before so I certainly wasn't going to find it otherwise.

The tiara and earrings feature jasmine flowers and were created to celebrate the jewelers 50th anniversary last year. The tiara is convertible to a necklace and the flowers are set en tremblant.
Princess Maria Carolina wearing the tiara
Picture of the tiara

Then the other jewelry is coral and diamonds set in rose and white gold.
Princess Maria Carolina wearing the coral jewelry
Coral Necklace
Coral Bracelet & Earrings

The tiara is actually pretty nice compared to many newly made modern tiara (though I don't know why, it gives me JIF's jewel vibe), the earrings are lovely too. But that fake updo just doesn't suit neither her (age) nor the tiara, it looks like a hairstyle for pageant. Anyway I guess it's a loan from the jewellers too, just like the Chaumet flower tiara she previously wore.

The coral suite, I don't know, normally I like asymmetric jewels, I like gold jewels, I like coral jewels too, but it just does not work. The design looks a bit crafty.

Do the Castro's still have any historic pieces or were they all sold off?

The Castros own the Ancona pearl tiara, which used to belong to the Lydia, Duchess of Ancona, but the Ancona were members of the Savoy family. So historic, yes, but not from the Borbon family, but bought after the Savoia sold it. Then there is the quite beautiful ruby dragonfly tiara, but once again this is not inherited but bought for the current Duchess of Castro. I don't know about other jewels like necklaces, etc.

The Castros own the Ancona pearl tiara, which used to belong to the Lydia, Duchess of Ancona, but the Ancona were members of the Savoy family. So historic, yes, but not from the Borbon family, but bought after the Savoia sold it. Then there is the quite beautiful ruby dragonfly tiara, but once again this is not inherited but bought for the current Duchess of Castro. I don't know about other jewels like necklaces, etc.

I actually had forgotten about that tiara and the duchess of Castro wore it to the wedding of Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Mary Donaldson in 2004.

Not sure if its been worn since?
https://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2019/01/the-daily-diadem-ancona-tiara-4.html

Last edited:
What a shame its so rarely seen as it is a quite beautiful piece to have.

The Duchess of Castro wore the Ruby Dragonfly Tiara at the 2011 Wedding Gala for Albert II and Princess Charlene
https://royalwatcherblog.com/2021/04/05/ruby-dragonfly-tiara/
As non-ruling royals they don't have that many tiara events to attend. But aren't they friends with GD Maria and GD Georgy? I was hoping that Georgy's wedding is going to be a tiara event. So who knows.:D

As non-ruling royals they don't have that many tiara events to attend. But aren't they friends with GD Maria and GD Georgy? I was hoping that Georgy's wedding is going to be a tiara event. So who knows.:D

They also attend events in Monaco too but sadly tiara events there are so rare.

Princess Charlotte of Bourbon Two-Sicilies nee Lady Bethune wearing diamond tiara:

https://www.ansa.it/webimages/img_457x/2021/9/25/2311c006f198e92b1570a2bc0fb6705a.jpg

Does anybody know which tiara is she wearing?

Hola! claims it is a diadem from the Lindesay-Bethune family (titles: Lord Lindsay of The Byres 1445, Earl of Lindsay 1633, Lord Parbroath 1633, Viscount of Garnock 1703, Lord Kilbirnie, Kingsburn and Drumry 1703):

La noble escocesa ha optado por una tiara perteneciente a la familia de su padre James Lindesay-Bethune, conde de Lindsay. Se trata de una diadema Fringe de diamantes con remate de perlas a juego con sus pendientes de diamantes y perla a modo de gota.

(The Scottish noble lady has chosen a tiara belonging to the family of her father James Lindesay-Bethune, Earl of Lindsay. It is a fringe diamond headband with a pearl finish to match her diamond and pearl drop earrings.)

Last edited:
Hola! claims it is a diadem from the Lindesay-Bethune family (titles: Lord Lindsay of The Byres 1445, Earl of Lindsay 1633, Lord Parbroath 1633, Viscount of Garnock 1703, Lord Kilbirnie, Kingsburn and Drumry 1703):

La noble escocesa ha optado por una tiara perteneciente a la familia de su padre James Lindesay-Bethune, conde de Lindsay. Se trata de una diadema Fringe de diamantes con remate de perlas a juego con sus pendientes de diamantes y perla a modo de gota.

(The Scottish noble lady has chosen a tiara belonging to the family of her father James Lindesay-Bethune, Earl of Lindsay. It is a fringe diamond headband with a pearl finish to match her diamond and pearl drop earrings.)

How nice to see some more interesting tiaras. Thank you!

That's a really pretty and delicate piece in both tiara and necklace form. It's not very big but the diamonds and pearls are actually quite substantial. Love how it go around the head like Sweden's Baden Fringe.

Last edited:
On the Dutch language Wikipedia about Prince Charles of Belgium, Count of Flanders (brother of King Leopold III of the Belgians and of Queen Maria José of Italy) is to read:

In zijn testament liet hij het diamanten diadeem van keizerin Joséphine na aan zijn zus Marie-José.

Translation:
In his testament he bequeathed Empress Joséphine's diamond diadem to his sister Marie-José.

Two questions:
- which diadem is meant ?
- how came a diadem from Joséphine Bonaparte (formerly De Beauharnais) into Prince Charles' ownership?

Last edited:
The tiara you write about was made from diamonds gifted by Emperor Alexander I to Empress Josephine and then left to her son Prince Eugene. His Leuchtenberg descendants had a tiara made from the diamonds in the 1890s which was sold by them to King Albert after WWI.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Empress Joséphine Tiara

Oooow it is that diadem. Yes I remember it. What a fabulous effect this diadem must have had, with free hanging bricolette cut diamonds glittering in the lights of chandeliers and candelabras. The Swedish Connaught on steroïds, so to say.

It is a shame it left the Belgian and Italian royal families but okay. Now I can place this diadem the Wikipedia article mentioned.

Bourbon Parma Jewelry collection

:bourbonparma:
From Sotheby´s with love!Stunning!

Now that is a really beautiful fleurs de lys tiara and such a shame it was sold off.

An article from today's Guardian newspaper about attempts by members of the Italian RF to retrvieve the crown jewels:

Descendants of the last king of Italy have made their first formal request to reclaim the crown jewels, which for almost 76 years have been stashed in a treasure chest in a safety deposit box at the Bank of Italy amid a long-running mystery over their ownership.

The bank took delivery of the jewels, comprising more than 6,000 diamonds and 2,000 pearls mounted on brooches and necklaces worn by various queens and princesses, on 5 June 1946, three days after Italians voted to abolish the monarchy and nine days before King Umberto II, who ruled for just 34 days, was banished into exile along with his male heirs.

Umberto II had tasked Falcone Lucifero, the minister of the Royal House, to bring the jewels to Luigi Einaudi, the then governor of Bank of Italy who later became president, for safekeeping.

Read the entire article here.

The photo that is shown is not a tiara from the Italian collection but a Flemish tiara that has recently been sold by Pss M. Gabriella.

Royal House of Savoy current events 2 : March 2007 -

I do hope the Bank of Italy and the Prime Minister will give them back to TRH.

The Republic just doesn’t care for those jewels, and pearls may be damaged irreparably. So, better to give them to someone who can’t value them and to be exhibited in Italy, as per the family’s request.
King Umberto gave them in custody, he didn’t hand them over.

I am not sure if the RF has much need of them either. They will most likely be auctioned of, esp. if they are to be shared between all children of King Umberto. Pss M. Gabriella already sold a large part of her collection. The prince of Venice still has a considerable collection of jewels, but sadly there are not amny ocassions where they can be used, other than a royal wedding every now and then.

But tucked away in a safe they are no good to anybody, so let's hope that one way or another they will re-appear soon.

What is the reason the state is so reluctant to give them up? Public outcry if they do end up with the RF perhaps? And is it known what jewels it would entail?

Last edited:
I am not sure if the RF has much need of them either. They will most likely be auctioned of, esp. if they are to be shared between all children of King Umberto. Pss M. Gabriella already sold a large part of her collection. The prince of Venice still has a considerable collection of jewels, but sadly there are not amny ocassions where they can be used, other than a royal wedding every now and then.

But tucked away in a safe they are no good to anybody, so let's hope that one way or another they will re-appear soon.

What is the reason the state is so reluctant to give them up? Public outcry if they do end up with the RF perhaps? And is it known what jewels it would entail?

And for some reasons the wives "stay home" when there IS a gala event:

Aimone di Savoia-Aosta without Olga
Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia without Clotilde
Charles-Philippe d'Orléans without Diana
Albert de Monaco without Charlène

Well, then indeed the jewels assemble dust...

Back
Top Bottom