The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 11-24-2015, 04:58 AM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
The face doesn't look much like Marie Louise either, but maybe there was just a bit too much artistic lisense used in this portrait?
No, the face doesn't really look like Princess Maria Luisa (see picture). IMO the lady in the portrait resembles far more Empress Augusta Viktoria.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 11-24-2015, 05:41 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
No, the face doesn't really look like Princess Maria Luisa (see picture). IMO the lady in the portrait resembles far more Empress Augusta Viktoria.
Oh no,most certainly not,this is not AV,Willy's spouse.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 11-24-2015, 05:46 AM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 5,725
The lady in the picture I posted is Princess Maria Luisa of Bourbon Parma.
The lady portrayed in the pendant IMO looks more like Empress Auguste Viktoria, rather than Princess Maria Luisa.
I hope to have been more clear now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,797
That's it, Auguste Viktoria! I made a comparison pic of the miniature for sale and a photo of the empress with her diamond tiara. The photo is also in profile, so you can compare the tiara and the facial features. But if it is AV, then the seller of the miniature really got it wrong, as there isn't much of a connection between the two ladies.
View image: comparison
__________________
Please vote in our TRF Fashion Polls


Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 11-24-2015, 07:38 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 4,462
Interesting find , thanks for sharing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 12-17-2015, 02:25 AM
IloveCP's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: -, United States
Posts: 9,414
Belgian Royal Brides: Queen Marie José of Italy | The Court Jeweller

The turquoise set is stunning.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 12-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Martinsburg, United States
Posts: 196

I read this link and came across the Italian Crown Jewels, it said that they are in a bank vault since 1946, that is a very long time, in fact I was shocked to read that. If this is so, then someone must be paying for the storage and safe keeping of these jewels and why aren't they in a museum to be shared with the people of Italy and the rest of the world. That is almost 70 years sitting in a vault, to whom do they belong to, the country of Italy, the people, the former royal family? I know little about royal jewels and what I do know I am learning from you here, so Thank You for all the information that you give us.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 12-17-2015, 12:59 PM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 5,725
Yes, the jewels - inside of a leather box - have been deposited in a vault of the Bank of Italy on 5 June 1946, by the Minister of the Royal House Falcone Lucifero by order of King Umberto II. The order of the King read that the jewels should be given back "a chi di dovere", that means "to whom it may concern" or "to whom is responsible" or "to the relevant person".
So the issue is that it isn't cleat who exactly they should be given back to, and therefore they are still deposited at the Bank of Italy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 12-17-2015, 02:26 PM
eya eya is offline
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 9,184
I did not read all the article . Thanks SnowBirds where the pointed. So the jewels will stay in the vaults until when? when return the monarchy in Italy? I can not imagine another reason.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 12-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Martinsburg, United States
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Yes, the jewels - inside of a leather box - have been deposited in a vault of the Bank of Italy on 5 June 1946, by the Minister of the Royal House Falcone Lucifero by order of King Umberto II. The order of the King read that the jewels should be given back "a chi di dovere", that means "to whom it may concern" or "to whom is responsible" or "to the relevant person".
So the issue is that it isn't cleat who exactly they should be given back to, and therefore they are still deposited at the Bank of Italy.
Thank You for the information, Since this was done in 1946 by the royal house Falcone Lucifero by order of the King, who would being paying all these decades for their safekeeping in the bank? Is Mr. Falcone Lucifero still alive to day, I would think not for he would of been maybe middle age when he did this in 1946, that is just almost 70 years ago. This just spiked my interest for the time period is a very long ago> Would the safekeeping of these jewels be in a will or trust with the bank or someone? And why can't the former royal family have access to them or do they? And they surely can't sit in the bank forever can they? These jewels would be antiques/vintage by today's standards and I bet there is some great craftsman's work done on these jewels. I would love to see the pieces set out so that they can be viewed by the people if not worn by the family. Wouldn't they be beautiful in a display in a museum in Rome, I love the city of Rome, so old, historic and the city talks of times past, at least to me when I visited there many years ago.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 12-18-2015, 06:17 PM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 5,725
In order:
1) I don't know if there is anyone who is paying for the safekeeping of the jewels, and in case someone does I don't know who is.
2) Falcone Lucifero is no longer alive; he died in 1997, almost centenarian.
3) They are still in the Bank because it isn't clear who is entitled to get them back. Part of the jewels were the old crown jewels of the Dukes of Savoy and of the Kings of Sardinia; part were owned or used personally by members of the House of Savoy; some pieces were gifts to members of the Royal Family or were inherited by them. In short, nobody knows exactly if they all belong to the Italian State, if they all belong to the House of Savoy, if some belong to the State and some to the Savoys, and which pieces.
The best and simplest solution would be an agreement between the State and the heirs of the Kings of Italy. A couple of times in the last decade the issue has been raised, but nothing has been decided.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 12-19-2015, 08:13 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 4,462
MAfan , do we know if Princess Marie Beatrice still owns Savoie jewels ?
The same for Princess Maria Pia .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 12-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Martinsburg, United States
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
In order:
1) I don't know if there is anyone who is paying for the safekeeping of the jewels, and in case someone does I don't know who is.
2) Falcone Lucifero is no longer alive; he died in 1997, almost centenarian.
3) They are still in the Bank because it isn't clear who is entitled to get them back. Part of the jewels were the old crown jewels of the Dukes of Savoy and of the Kings of Sardinia; part were owned or used personally by members of the House of Savoy; some pieces were gifts to members of the Royal Family or were inherited by them. In short, nobody knows exactly if they all belong to the Italian State, if they all belong to the House of Savoy, if some belong to the State and some to the Savoys, and which pieces.
The best and simplest solution would be an agreement between the State and the heirs of the Kings of Italy. A couple of times in the last decade the issue has been raised, but nothing has been decided.
This just boggles my mind, somehow my brain can't get a gripe on the fact that here in a bank sits probably millions of dollars or lira in crown jewels and they just *sit there getting older and duster* and nobody cares.

Goodness sake, someone is paying for the upkeep and the bank is reaping the rewards of having them in their vault, so maybe in time, the bank can or would claim ownership. I would think that the country of Italy and the former royal families would be intelligent enough to so something with these jewels, after all they are part of the heritage/history of the country and should be placed in a museum for all the people to see. Doing that collects money for the museum and the country, Profit! Does the former royal family have that much money that they could care less about the ownership of family jewels or whatever? That is so, speaks of a very small mind set. Amazing that this has and is still happening.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 12-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Nice Nofret's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 540
... it seems to be a very italian problem ... nothing gets ever solved and the italian jurisdicten system is know for it's unbearable slowness...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 12-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Martinsburg, United States
Posts: 196

Oh dear, I know many people of Italian heritage and they are not slow by any stretch of the imagination, in fact they can be very into problem solving. When I told my friends this, they also could not believe it. So in Italy itself, the government is very slow to tackle this problem or any problem, they need some type A personalities there to get things moving. I have been to Italy a number of times and that was my first foreign country to visit and fell deeply in love with the country and the people. Would move there in a heart beat if I could, some of the most moving experiences and places and people I have ever met. I just love Italy! So maybe they would let me wear some of those jewels to the next royal ball I am going to.......
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 12-19-2015, 03:14 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 18,531
Isn't Queen Margherita's pearl and diamond tiara part of the Savoy jewels deposited in the Bank of Italy?
__________________
20th of December,1963-Birth of HRH The Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 12-19-2015, 03:35 PM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
MAfan , do we know if Princess Marie Beatrice still owns Savoie jewels ?
The same for Princess Maria Pia .
Honestly I do not know the answer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 12-19-2015, 03:42 PM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirds View Post
This just boggles my mind, somehow my brain can't get a gripe on the fact that here in a bank sits probably millions of dollars or lira in crown jewels and they just *sit there getting older and duster* and nobody cares.
It is indeed a pity that they are left there.
As for their value, in his diaries Falcone Lucifero mentioned that in 1946 they were worth more than 1 billion liras, that would mean about 32 million Euros or 35 million Dollars of today.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 12-19-2015, 03:49 PM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Isn't Queen Margherita's pearl and diamond tiara part of the Savoy jewels deposited in the Bank of Italy?
Do you mean this one or that one?
The first one was created in 1904 for Queen Margherita by Musy; she later left it to her grandson Umberto II, who gave it as a wedding gift to Queen Maria José.
The second one is among the Crown jewels deposited in the Bank of Italy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 12-19-2015, 04:28 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 18,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Do you mean this one or that one?
The first one was created in 1904 for Queen Margherita by Musy; she later left it to her grandson Umberto II, who gave it as a wedding gift to Queen Maria José.
The second one is among the Crown jewels deposited in the Bank of Italy.
Thanks I was referring to the second one,wonder if we'll ever see it again?
__________________

__________________
20th of December,1963-Birth of HRH The Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jewellery, savoy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal, Princely and Noble Families of Germany & Austria 2 Dulce Elena Royal Families of Austria and Germany 254 11-26-2017 09:46 AM
Royal and Noble Families of Poland and Lithuania Julia Other Non-Reigning Houses and Historical Monarchies 205 08-27-2017 12:00 PM
Oldest Royal and Noble Families kcc Royal Genealogy 195 01-24-2017 04:50 AM
Royal and Noble Families: Dynastic Laws and Marriage Rules Mariel Royal Genealogy 276 05-29-2014 12:29 PM




Popular Tags
baptism birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill coel hen crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events david armstrong-jones denmark duchess of cambridge cocktail dresses earl of snowdon family fascism general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy nassau nazi news opening of parliament philippe piromallo prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince jean prince nicholas prince oscar princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia gowns queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima hats queenmother queen rania casual outfit queen rania fashion queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family theatre victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises