Royal and Noble Families of Italy Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually meant the pieces of the Savoy family's jewels that were auctioned throughout the 1980s...but yes, Belgium would have a fine collection of jewels were it not for their refusal to create a state foundation or such.

The auction of the Savoy Jewels will take place June 13th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moy goodness...what is she doing? Selling every single piece of Savoy jewelry left??????

I hope some members of other royal families buy these fantastic jewels.

I went through the entire lot, and I just could not believe what I was seeing-what a shame the family has to sell their jewels--

stacy said:
The auction of the Savoy Jewels will take place June 13th.

It's a shame they feel the need to part with such lovely jewels, but it makes me wonder what (if anything) they kept for themselves.

Considering these jewels are property of Princess Marie-Gabriella only (and she does have some other items too, if I recall correctly), I am wondering if the other two daughters of King Umberto received any jewelry from their mother. It seems that MG is selling the items that came from Belgium. I wonder if she received any Italian items too or that those are safely in a family trust headed by the Prince of Napels.

I am sick! Hopefully those jewels will find a new owner worthy of their splendor and history.

Well, IMHO the only two persons worthy enough of wearing a parure from Empress Carlota of Mexico are Queen Paola and CP Mathilde of Belgium. Sadly the King preferred to buy a new yacht over a new tiara.

Are there any pictures of any ladies wearing the Empress Josephine diamond tiara?

Carlo posted some items that Princess Maria-Gabriella still has, after the auction (at the Royal Jewels MB):

Here are three more photos of jewels belonging to HRH the Princess Maria Gabriella:
photo1: aquamarines and diamonds necklace and bracelet (with Dr. Piero Ferrari - owner of the famous car industry).
photo2: one of the two rows of Queen Maria José's necklace.
photo3: diamonds and pearls tiara - gift of HM King Umberto of Italy to his daughter, made by Petochi.

Here from GRE Casa Savoia fantastic site: the Princess and some of her parures.

Pearl & diamond demi-parure 1
Pearl & diamond demi-parure 2

Amnethyst necklace

Marengo said:
Considering these jewels are property of Princess Marie-Gabriella only (and she does have some other items too, if I recall correctly), I am wondering if the other two daughters of King Umberto received any jewelry from their mother. It seems that MG is selling the items that came from Belgium. I wonder if she received any Italian items too or that those are safely in a family trust headed by the Prince of Napels.
Isn't alot of the Savoias jewelry held by the Italian state? I think I remember reading somewhere that the family planned to sue the state to get their jewels back?

hellomagazine.com
Interesting that her siblings didn't want the items and the tax bill that went with them, and that she's only keeping some books and a desk.

Hello Marengo

Do you know the name of the site dedicated to Casa Savoia? I'm interested in but I don't know the exact name>
Thanks

Italian Crown Jewels

Can anybody inform me of whatever happened to the Italian Crown Jewels after the last King was voted out? Did the collection ever have a crown?

The Jewels in the vault have been discussed in the Savoy Royal Family Jewels thread so the two threads have been merged.

The legal ownership of these jewels - the Italian State or the House of Savoy - has yet to be determined as neither party has made a claim.

are there more jewels to be put on auction?,,,,i would love to have some of thejewels hehehehe....pity they could not keep their jewels bcoz of inheritance taxes...if im just rich i would buy them all and give it back to princess maria...she is a grand old royal lady!!

There are so many pictures of the jewels available online, especially the diamond tiara which went for so much money...

will she get a chance to wear any of the family jewels? are there any functions comming up that may requier them?

I know that the "historical" jewels of Savoy family, which belonged to Savoy Family and not to the Italian State, so they were a private ownership, had been deposied in May 1946 in the caveau of the Banca d'Italia, and they are still there...I don't know if Savoy Family can take them back or if, after 1946, the republican italian government has dispossessed them.

The pearl and diamond demi parure is most impressive. Princess Olga would look wonderful while wearing it. Perhaps they will have official photos taken in honor of the pregnancy. Any of these family jewels would add a very glam touch.

Christies the auctioneers are featuring two Royal Collections from Italy and Yugoslavia in their Important Jewellery sale
Josefine, that auction of some jewels of Princess Maria Gabriella was held in April 2007.

At the former royal palace of Venaria Reale, near Turin, opened an exhibition on the jewels of the Savoy family (and the jewels of Our Lady of Oropa). I would say a great occasion, but I haven't finally understood which jewels are exposed: our "dear" Vittorio Emanuele promised to lend the queen Margherita diamonds and pearls thiara (so that this piece was chosen as logo of the exhibition) but then denied it.
And as far as the jewels kept in the bank of Italy, is it possible that they have gone out without having any relevance on the press?
the exhibition will last until the 10th January.

The piece choosen as logo for the exhibition never came...That really VE.

I found out something more: between other jewels there are the wedding keep-sake of Umberto and Maria Josè, the savoy knots brooch, the bracelet king Carlo Alberto gave to her daughter in law Maria Adelaide as wedding-gift, the Aosta diamond thiara with knots and stars and a flower thiara that can be partioned in 4 brooches (never heard about the latter, someone has info or pics?).
Amedeo of Savoy was at the opening and at least the Aosta thiara must have been lent by him.
http://www.crocerealedisavoia.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=133&Itemid=70
Other jewels were lent by Maria Gabriella and other noble families. Also a diamond parure of queen Maria Teresa, Carlo Alberto's wife, was expected from VE and also that didn't arrive.
As far as the jewels kept in Bank of Italy, it is announced that they will be shown in 2011 for the 150th anniversary of Italy's unification.

Back
Top Bottom