Royal and Noble Families of Italy Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diamond & Topaz Parure

Here is a pic of the Diamond & Topaz Parure worn by Clotilde at her wedding.
source: unknown, but original pic from "Queens' Jewels" by Vincent Meylan

Attachments

• Savoy Diamond & Topaz Parure.jpg
    Savoy Diamond & Topaz Parure.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 14,057
Last edited:
Those are magnificent....the color of the topaz is just beautiful.

Pity the Italian Royals had to sell so many of their jewels as they had such an impressive collection.

She surely didn't wear the whole lot, did she? Just the tiara and earrings, wasn't it?

I think so...yes, just checked, she only had on the earrings and the tiara.

I wonder if they only have two left, the one she wore and the one Marina Doria wore to Frederick and Mary's wedding.

Maybe Prince Vittorio's sisters still have some tiaras their mother left them.

Anyone know?

Lady Marmalade said:
I think so...yes, just checked, she only had on the earrings and the tiara.

I wonder if they only have two left, the one she wore and the one Marina Doria wore to Frederick and Mary's wedding. Maybe Prince Vittorio's sisters still have some tiaras their mother left them.

Anyone know?
Vincent Meylan's book "Queens' Jewels" goes into some detail about the Savoy Collection. Quite a bit of it still resides in the Central Bank in Rome, unclaimed by the Italian Government and, as yet, by Prince Victor Emanuel.

King Umberto split the collection four ways among his children; since then parts of it have largely been dispersed. Most of the pieces inherited by Princess Maria Beatrice have been auctioned off over the past 20 years (to her brother's anger). A Mellerio diamond tiara was auctioned in 1985.

Thank you Warren, I will check into that book. :)

I read that many pieces, especially historical ones, were sold at auction in the 1980's...including many tiaras. I hope the famous Savoy Knot one is still within the family and the bandeau one Marie Josie received from her parents is with them as well.

I know pearls were very big with Queen Margarita...I think I spelled her name wrong..oh well...I tired. :)

Diamonds & Emeralds!

This picture was posted by Tosca in the "Various Italian Royals" thread.
It is one of the best pics of the Savoy Emeralds I have seen so will post it here.
Pic courtesy dagospia.

Princess Marina of Savoy: diamond & emerald earrings & necklace

PrincessMarinaEmeraldsdagospia.jpg

Wow

The emerald necklace is fantastic! It would grace any woman.

DDD said:
Marina married in Teheran, if i´m right.
But I also know that she married in Las Vegas. i don´t know. But there are Family-connections

Marina and Vittorio got married first in Las Vegas in a civil ceremony, then they got married in a religious ceremony in Teheran later because on his father's eyes, a civil marriage wasn't valid

How old is she. Somebody needs to tell her to stop with the nip and tucking.

Princejohnny25 said:
How old is she. Somebody needs to tell her to stop with the nip and tucking.
Princess Marina was born on 12 February 1935, which means she has just turned 71.

Thanks Warren. I like her earings but the necklace is strange.

I agree Princejohnny25, I like the earings but the necklace is peculiar.

Does anyone know if that necklace can be converted into a tiara. Wouldn't it look great! :)

Exactly Mandy! I was thinking the same thing, the emarald necklace would look beauitful as a tiara. They should convert it.:)

I'm an emerald nut I'll admit, and that to me is one heck of a parure!:eek: A fantastic set that to me is very reminiscent of some of the Iranian Imperial jewels. Maybe from the same jeweler???:confused: Utterly breath-taking.

Is that necklace all one piece or is it a bunch of different necklaces. All together they look weird. The emeralds are very nice though.

Queen Margherita's Emeralds

Jackswife said:
I'm an emerald nut I'll admit, and that to me is one heck of a parure!:eek: A fantastic set that to me is very reminiscent of some of the Iranian Imperial jewels. Maybe from the same jeweler???:confused: Utterly breath-taking.
Yes, it has a very definite Iranian-style to it, but less chunky and clunky. Possibly a wedding gift from the Shah, but the earrings and (re-set?) necklace are more likely part of Queen Margherita's emerald parure.

Described in "The Queens' Jewels" by Vincent Meylan, this parure of Colombian emeralds "of a quality rarely found" ranging in size up to 42 carats, was thought to be intact until 1983 (the death of King Umberto II). It was then (?) disperesed among his children and/or sisters; some was auctioned, some is still owned. As more old photographs have come to light the size of this parure has increased to include a tiara and another necklace, but the nature of the complete parure and its dispersal is a mystery. The provenance is almost certainly the Kingdom of Saxony (reflecting the wealth of the old Saxon Kingdom): Queen Margherita's mother was a daughter of Johan I, King of Saxony.

I found these emerald earrings on Sotheby's web site (photo is from Sotheby's). Don't they look just like the ones that Princess Marina is wearing? Here's the description:

The floral cluster tops set with 2 round emeralds weighing 3.21 carats, the pendants set with 2 pear-shaped emeralds weighing 27.65 carats, further decorated throughout with 4 pear-shaped diamonds weighing 4.80 carats, 20 marquise-shaped diamonds weighing 7.60 carats and 30 round diamonds weighing 10.76 carats, mounted in platinum, signed Van Cleef & Arpels, numbered 17625, maker's marks, assay marks, pendants detachable.

Accompanied by three AGL reports stating that three of the emeralds (13.16, 13.08 and 1.06 carats) are of Colombian origin; moderate clarity enhancement (Oil Type Treatment/ Canadian Balsam). The fourth emerald 1.37 carats) originates from Sandawana; faint to moderate clarity enhancement Oil Type Treatment/ Canadian Balsam).

Last edited by a moderator:
good job nef, i think they look the same
thats some serious nip and tuck if she's really 71 wow

i'm proud and happy.

I'm so proud and happy, being an It citizenship, well, who could even think The Savoia Jewels would have gone back to the Family ???? Our Govt. refused it to King Umberto II many times- as our poor last King was refused everything by It Govt.- even to be able to die in Italy, he only had weeks to live, back in March '83, so he thought he could dare to ask to die in Napoli or Rome, many of us were eager to see him for the last time and give him our farewells, but... well, that's another story- E. Filiberto said on TV he will ask a Museum, maybe in rome, to show the jewels-:) :) :)

Emeralds

Warren said:
Yes, it has a very definite Iranian-style to it, but less chunky and clunky. Possibly a wedding gift from the Shah, but the earrings and (re-set?) necklace are more likely part of Queen Margherita's emerald parure.

Described in "The Queens' Jewels" by Vincent Meylan, this parure of Colombian emeralds "of a quality rarely found" ranging in size up to 42 carats, was thought to be intact until 1983 (the death of King Umberto II). It was then (?) disperesed among his children and/or sisters; some was auctioned, some is still owned. As more old photographs have come to light the size of this parure has increased to include a tiara and another necklace, but the nature of the complete parure and its dispersal is a mystery. The provenance is almost certainly the Kingdom of Saxony (reflecting the wealth of the old Saxon Kingdom): Queen Margherita's mother was a daughter of Johan I, King of Saxony.
The Emerald necklace princess Marina wore was loaned to her.
That necklace was auctioned by sothebys few years ago for more than a million dollars, it belonged to the state of the late Janice Levine and was auctioned in New York. before the auction, part of the jewellery collection form that state went on tour in U.S. and Europe, and some pieces were loaned to famous persons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would really love to see all the pieces from their collection prior to their exile. Its a pity many were sold. I wonder where those pieces ended up?

Princes Marie-Gabriella is selling some of her jewels at Christies. Three tiara's are among them. See this post by Laurent on the RJWMB.

I cannot believe they are selling those pieces! Isn't that pearl tiara one that was owned by Empress Josephine? I hate to see jewels sold, but maybe a Royal will buy the tiaras--they are stunning as well as historical.

It's only fair to split up family jewels equally but it's so heartbreaking when family members sell off their share. I hope they stay within a royal family!

If they stayed within the family there would be no need to put them up for auction, so I am afraid that they will soon adorn the head of the mistress of a russion oil-zillionaire or something simular.

A pity the Belgians didn't bother to buy the Flanders pearl tiara back, it is such an historic piece. I believe it once belonged to Empress Carlota of Mexico too.

I will never understand the Belgian jewel situation. Even the RF could probably afford to buy it back with personal funds. I always just tell myself that these pieces will at least go to someone who will care for them and not alter them because they did belong to royalty, but perhaps I fool myself. (sighs)...
That turquoise parure is rather pretty.

Oh, and you are right, Marengo, that is Carlota de Mexico's pearl tiara, famously worn in several photographs by Queen Maria Jose.

Lady Marmalade said:
Thank you Warren, I will check into that book. :)

I read that many pieces, especially historical ones, were sold at auction in the 1980's...including many tiaras. I hope the famous Savoy Knot one is still within the family and the bandeau one Marie Josie received from her parents is with them as well.

I know pearls were very big with Queen Margarita...I think I spelled her name wrong..oh well...I tired. :)

Does anyone have pictures of these pieces that were auctioned, or know specifically which ones these were?

Prince of Chota said:
Does anyone have pictures of these pieces that were auctioned, or know specifically which ones these were?

If the Belgian Royal Family never had given away so much jewels as wedding-presents, they had a fabulous collection today !!

Back
Top Bottom