Russian Imperial and Noble Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...I´ve seen a great HQ-Video with the jewels in the Kremlin but I can´t find it again
The first video in post #260 on the previous page is not HD but incredibly sharp nonetheless. It's brilliantly lit, shows a lot of jewels in 360° rotation, and sets off the en tremblant jewels to great effect.

The Kremlin Armory displays a selection of the Russian Imperial state jewels and related pieces. The vast collection (most of which remains in storage) is held in Moscow.

These links show pictures of some of Russian jewels from the famous table filled with confiscated imperial jewels.
I believe this is the tiara (sapphires maybe?) placed between the ears of wheat ("russian fields)" tiara and the fringe tiara.
I don't think I've ever seen any close-up of the tiara so far.
Any more information about it?

USGS Multimedia Gallery: Russian Crown Jewels from the USGS Library

USGS Multimedia Gallery: Russian Crown Jewels from the USGS Library

USGS Multimedia Gallery: Gems Photo Set

Maria Feodorovna's Russian Field Diadem
Empress Maria Feodorovna (wife of Paul I, not the other one) commissioned a diadem from the famous Duval Brothers. The Empress wanted something that would remind of the Russian fields, and so the brothers created a diadem o oak and laurel leaves, bordered by sheaves of wheat.

Image used with permission.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 703
There are some amazing pieces of jewelry on that table,makes me think about the full collection the Romanov's had prior to 1917.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some amazing pieces of jewelry on that table,makes me think about the full collection the Romanov's had prior to 1917.
You might want to purchase Stefano Papi's "Jewels of the Romanovs". It's a bit pricey but if you are a jewellaholic like me, you are going to positively drool at the pictures. I did. :D

Attachments

• Capture96543 (2).JPG
    Capture96543 (2).JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 731
  • maria_feodrovna_in_spectacu (1).jpg
    maria_feodrovna_in_spectacu (1).jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 608
Absolutely breathtaking. Just beyond exquisite. One of my absolute favorites. Thanks for posting!

Absolutely breathtaking. Just beyond exquisite. One of my absolute favorites. Thanks for posting!
You are most welcome. :)

Glad I am not the only one who really likes the parure. Then again, it's difficult not to. The sheer size of those sapphires is just amazing! I mean, the largest sapphire in the necklace weighed whooping 159.25 carats. :eek:

Love the sapphires!

she looks so tiny in that GINORMOUS necklace! do you think she was tiny or it was huge or both?!

she looks so tiny in that GINORMOUS necklace! do you think she was tiny or it was huge or both?!
The necklace was really huge: the biggest sapphire alone weighed 159.25 carats.
Maria Feodorovna is believed to have been around 165 cm tall, which was not at all petite: it was average or slightly above average height for women at the time.

Just stunning! I think sapphires are my favorite stones, even though green is my favorite color. Do you know of books that give provenance of specific pieces of Romanov jewelry?

I would highly recommend "The Jewels of the Romanovs" by Stefano Papi, and "Jewels of the Tsars, the Romanovs and Imperial Russia" by Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark. Both are a bit pricey but excellent for reference and full of wonderful illustrations.

:previous:
I believe the necklace is/was convertible to a tiara.

Marie Feodorovna by Kramskoj (same picture as that in above link)
Marie Feodorovna modestly bejewelled
Images are not subject to copyright.

Attachments

• Empress Marie Feodorovna by Kramskoj.jpg
    Empress Marie Feodorovna by Kramskoj.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 2,942
  • Empress Marie-Feodorovna.jpg
    Empress Marie-Feodorovna.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 3,340
:previous:
YOu are absolutely right; the tiara was convertible into a necklace. In fact, it was more like a necklace convertible into a tiara: a fringe necklace was literally mounted into a linen kokoshnik. Russian Royals had quite a few of such tiaras when various jewels and/or necklaces were sort of temporarily sewn into a linen kokoshnik form.

A bit too grand for my taste, but definitely pretty.

I could force myself to wear it. Really, there is no reason to take it off, even while showering. Shampoo will make it sparkle cleanly!

The tiara's just amazing!! Those earrings however...Don't want to even try and imagine how heavy those are, but they are up in the WOWZA range. W/all of those unreal pieces of jewelry on all the same time *and* the dress *and* trains *and* Mantle/Robe of State and I can very easily imagine that if your pages took off somewhere, no way and no how were you moving anywhere.

I could force myself to wear it. Really, there is no reason to take it off, even while showering. Shampoo will make it sparkle cleanly!
I'm w/Scooter, although I'm not sure I'd wear it into the shower. If I did though, I'd make sure I was using Baby Shampoo. Much gentler period and would still make those beauties sparkle like nothing else. :D

More than a bit over the top and not exactly elegant when all put together and the robe added on. Glittering yes but elegant no. When brides suffer from headaches, neck pains, need help standing and walking something is wrong with their outfit. Probably why the last Romanoff bride Princess Irene Alexandrovna, the Tsars niece shunned the whole get up and opted for something more modern in 1914.

Last edited:
More than a bit over the top and not exactly elegant when all put together and the robe added on. Glittering yes but elegant no. When brides suffer from headaches, neck pains, need help standing and walking something is wrong with their outfit. Probably why the last Romanoff bride Princess Irene Alexandrovna, the Tsars niece shunned the whole get up and opted for something more modern in 1914.

My feelings exactly.

Didn't Irina loose her status as Grand Duchess because the Yussupovs were not equal? (Feliks was a prince, but his family has never been reigning anywhere) I always thought that was the reason she didn't wear the imperial wedding outfit.

Didn't Irina loose her status as Grand Duchess because the Yussupovs were not equal? (Feliks was a prince, but his family has never been reigning anywhere) I always thought that was the reason she didn't wear the imperial wedding outfit.

Irina was never a grand duchess. She was an imperial princess.. Through the paternal line she was only a great grand daughter of a sovereign, while maternally she was the grandchild of TM Czar alexader and Marie feodorovna. Tsar AIII limited the styles and status's of the imperial family during his reign, thus decreasing the states future burden.

Last edited:
Irina was never a grand duchess. She was an imperial princess.. Through the paternal line she was only a great grand daughter of a sovereign, while maternally she was the grandchild of TM Czar alexader and Marie feodorovna. Tsar AIII limited the styles and status's of the imperial family during his reign, thus decreasing the states future burden.
Thanks for correcting me. So that is one more explanation, why she didn't wear all the imperial baubles, isn't it?

Can we list which imperial brides wore them? I have seen pictures of
- GD Maria Pavlovna in 1908
- GD Elena Vladimirovna in 1902
- Princess Alix von Hessen und bei Rhein in 1894
- Princess Elisabeth von Sachsen-Altenburg in 1884
Are there more?

Thanks for correcting me. So that is one more explanation, why she didn't wear all the imperial baubles, isn't it?

Can we list which imperial brides wore them? I have seen pictures of
- GD Maria Pavlovna in 1908
- GD Elena Vladimirovna in 1902
- Princess Alix von Hessen und bei Rhein in 1894
- Princess Elisabeth von Sachsen-Altenburg in 1884
Are there more?

I think it has been worn by all Grand Duchesses born and married in since the time of Catharina the great. But only from a handfull there are pics. One exception was Pricness Marie of Greece b ecause she married at Corfu and not in Russia.

I think it has been worn by all Grand Duchesses born and married in since the time of Catharina the great. But only from a handfull there are pics. One exception was Pricness Marie of Greece b ecause she married at Corfu and not in Russia.
The tiara was made ~1810 for Elizabeth Alexeievna,wife of Emperor Alexander I.
Alexander was Catharina's grandson.
Only earrings with cherries belonged to Catharina.

Back
Top Bottom