The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Did those eggs have any meaning to them or were they just decoration?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

in the russian and greek orthodox church easter is much more important than christmas. During lent people do not eat diary products and at easter have eggs (often coloured red, the colour of the blood of Christ). the romanovs took it to a higher level, and gave each other beautifull faberge eggs at easter.
I have heard say that the egg represented heavan and earth (the yolk is earth and the white heaven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt View Post
Did those eggs have any meaning to them or were they just decoration?

Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
here is a reprise of the tiara pic.

It's hard to imagine that the wife of the Philippines dictator had this work of art destroyed, but there you go. People will reveal their true natures in different ways...
The tiara on the picture, isn't that just a copy or is it the real Romanov-tiara? Did she actually destroy the real Tzaritsa's tiara?? Mental disorder, anyone?

And here I was planning to wear it for my wedding... sigh. Now I might have to go for the Vladimir pearl tiara instead. Do you think Queen Elizabeth will lend it to me? Perhaps if I marry Prince William...
Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Royal Highness

I believe that good ole tasteless, tacky, no sense of history or beauty Imelda had one of the most beautiful tiaras ever created DESTROYED, well, dismantled. Probably turned into some tacky looking crap. What a waste. It puts me in a bad mood!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, some people haven't got the brains that God gave a billy goat, and others have a really inflated opinion of themselves, and think that nothing that came before them is worth anything, while still others have absolutely no taste or respect for history. Imelda Marcos fits nicely into all of the above categories.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would like to say perhaps she saved the tiara setting and reused the jewels. But from everything I've read about IM, she probably had it melted down and made into shoes.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Administrator

More likely shoe buckles.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Aristocracy

Like Thomas I tried to find some pictures of Imelda wearing pearls, but that wasn't very easy. I found lots of old and new pics of her wearing jewellery, but only 2 brooches set with one pearl each.
What did she do with the Romanov-pearls?? You would think that she would wear them a lot considering the value, she seems to like to show off her fortune.
Maybe she made a necklace for her cat or parrot or something.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Royal Highness

I'm with Warren; they're shoe buckles now.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Gentry

Heres HI&RH The Princess Nicholas of Greece with her diamond fringe tiara.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Duchess Helena Vladimirovna of Russia, HIRH The Princess Nicholas of Greece & Denmark 3.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	261486  
Old 02-27-2008, 04:09 AM

If the Russian crown jewels appeal you then you might like these images:

Empress Marie Feodrovna dressed in cloth of silver court dress & diamonds for her son's coronation 1896

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...arie1896_2.jpg

A younger image of Marie in many of the same jewels while she was still empress. You'll never see these big diamonds on Empress Alexandra. Marie retained the right to wear them all her life and Alexandra had only the "left overs".

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...urt_150dpi.jpg

Another one of Marie in different jewels. I don't think this necklace survived:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/359copy2.jpg

Empress Alexandra in shortly after her wedding in a formal portrait. (not in her wedding dress, as I've seen written elsewhere)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...alexyoung1.jpg

A later image of Alexandra in her "big" jewels
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ress/alex2.jpg

and a later slightly less formal one in another tiara:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...x_tiara_72.jpg
Old 02-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

Could some of the more competent among you satisfy my gem lust (Ha!!!) and post pictures and information about a parurue which consists of a tiara made of yellow, pink and orange pink diamonds formed into flowers with green enameled gold leaves and bees flying about made of yellow diamonds, with earings and a brooch. There is some disagreement between Prince Michael of Greece and Geoffrey Munn as to the exact nature of the jewel, whether it is a necklace or tiara. It can be broken down into seven brooches. Made in the 18th century it is one of the more interesting items still extant in the Russian Imperial jewels. Cheers.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 PM

Whilst looking on a blog, I found this photograph;

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1512/j11dn9.jpg

It's apparantly a Romanov piece bought by Imelda Marcos.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Gentry

O it breaks my heart to hear of people like Imelda having these precious and historical pieces! Thomas, I have a photo of the necklace of which you speak. (I received Prince Michael's book as a gift.) I don't have a scanner, and am not good with all this technology. The necklace sure is a stunner.
Thanks to all of you who do post these luscious pix, they give soooo much pleasure!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Gentry

Does anyone have any fotos of the Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna, Duchess of Edinburgh & of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha wearing her magnificent jewels? I recall bumping into this website which had a beautiful portrait of her, the Duke of Coburg and her children attending the coronation of the Tsar Nicholas II in 1896. However, I cannot recall which one it was. I would be most grateful if anyone would be kind enough to post these pictures. Or else any fotos of her in her jewels would be good enough.

I did manage to save the beautiful portrait showing the Duke & Duchess of Edinburgh, the Hereditary Prince Alfred & the Princess Marie & the Grand Duke & Grand Duchess of Hesse. I forgot that I had saved the photo into my computer. I'm not sure of the website i had saved it from. More photos of the bejeweled Grand Duchess Maria please..... anyone.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Royal Highness

That is a stunning photo! Such jewels, such fabrics, wonderful and thank you!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Courtier

That photo is priceless, if for the expressions on these people's faces if nothing else. The jewels are stunning.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Gentry

Somehow I'm always fascinated by the Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna, being the spoilt only daughter of the Tsar and the only Russian Grand Duchess in history to marry into the British Royal Family, despite the strained relations between Britain and Russia at that time. What mesmerizes me the most is the immense dowry that she came with to England? Imagine that... Russian splendour entering England.....I guess she must have taken all her jewels to Coburg when Prince Alfred inherited the Duchy and I bet she must have added so much more glitter to the ducal court with her extravagant inheritance.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Gentry

Duchess of Edinburgh & of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

Once again, the magnificent jewels of HI&RH The Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, Duchess of Edinburgh & Duchess of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, a truly elegant royal of her time.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinulord View Post
Once again, the magnificent jewels of HI&RH The Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, Duchess of Edinburgh & Duchess of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, a truly elegant royal of her time.
Gosh, and where is her lovely collection of bling blings today?

Tags
grand duchess olga alexandrovna, jewels, jewllery, romanov, russian royalty