The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Thanks for correcting me. So that is one more explanation, why she didn't wear all the imperial baubles, isn't it?

Can we list which imperial brides wore them? I have seen pictures of
- GD Maria Pavlovna in 1908
- GD Elena Vladimirovna in 1902
- Princess Alix von Hessen und bei Rhein in 1894
- Princess Elisabeth von Sachsen-Altenburg in 1884
Are there more?
Perhaps. I was reading in the book "The Man Who Shot Rasputin" where is discussed the marriage and while discussing all the jewels Princess Irina received it said it was her choice not to wear the Imperial regalia in favour of something more modern.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I believe the necklace is/was convertible to a tiara.
Apologies for quoting myself but I'm just backtracking to provide some pictorial evidence and needed a context.

Empress Maria Feodorovna
v The convertible diamond & pearl necklace/tiara
worn as a necklace
2. As the "Wave Tiara" (although as a closed circlet it's more of a diadem)

I don't think the Wave Tiara photo gives a very good indication of scale; as a necklace there appears to be quite a lot of it (!).

Neither image subject to copyright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Empress Marie Feodorovna by Kramskoj.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	288452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Russia Empress Marie Feodorovna Wave Tiara & necklace.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	288453  

Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Didn't Irina loose her status as Grand Duchess because the Yussupovs were not equal? (Feliks was a prince, but his family has never been reigning anywhere) I always thought that was the reason she didn't wear the imperial wedding outfit.
Irina was HH Princess of Russia as a great-granddaughter of a Tsar in the male-line. She did not lose her imperial rank, but did renounce her right of succession prior to marrying Prince Felix.

The imperial wedding regalia was for women marrying a Grand Duke or a Grand Duchess marrying a foreign prince in an equal marriage.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Courtier

Grand Duchess Helen Vladimirovna wearing ruby parure:

Old 04-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
Grand Duchess Helen Vladimirovna wearing ruby parure
Wow, Marc, thanks for posting this exciting photo .
Grand Duchess Helen here is wearing the ruby tiara which was once owned by her mother-in-law Queen Olga of Greece. It was also worn by Princess Olga of Greece and once even by Princess Marina. Than it returned to the main line of the GRF, was worn by Queen Frederika who gave it as a wedding present to Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, who still wears it regularly.

Your find fills up a missing link in the tiara's history, because so far it wasn't known if Queen Olga left the tiara directly to Princess Olga. Obviously it wasn't, since we know have the first picture of GD Helen wearing it!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
...It was also worn...once even by Princess Marina.
v Princess Marina wearing the [Greek] ruby tiara in 1939.
Thumbnail image has been cropped from a larger photograph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Princess Marina (Greek) Ruby Tiara 1939.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	288538  
Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Courtier

Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna wearing a tiara her mother Leonida was also wearing:

Anyone knows something more about this tiara?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 AM
Commoner

What chain is she wearing?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 AM
Royal Highness

Is she the current head of the house?
Forgive me as I don't know anything about the Russian imperial family -I'm only familiar with the Czar Nicolas II and his family.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

She is one of the claimants to the Headship of the Imperial House.

Strictly speaking, no one currently complies with all the statutes of the Imperial House, so the headship is contested. Maria Vladimirovna acknowledges only herself and her son, "Grand Duke" Georgi as members of the Imperial House. Virtually all other Romanov descendants are members of the Romanov Family Association, which maintains that no one can really comply with all the rules. Thus, Prince Nicholas Romanov - the president of the association - claims Headship on the basis that he is recognised by all other members of the House.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Courtier

Let's get back to the jewels :) Anyone knows anything about this tiara also worn by her mother Leonida?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Let's get back to the jewels :) Anyone knows anything about this tiara also worn by her mother Leonida?
No, but I will say that this tiara reminds me a lot of the pearl button/star tiara of the Dutch ladies have.

It would be interesting to know the history of this one for sure!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Looks tacky. Not a Romanov Tiara. Might be a Bagration tiara.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:43 AM
Royal Highness

Sorry, I don't know anything about this tiara, and I haven't seen the picture of Maria Vladimirovna wearing it before. Does anybody know when it was taken? It must have been a spescial event, since she is wearing the very ceremonious order chain.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

If I am not mistaken, that picture was released by the House of Romanov website in 2012, although the picture itself is at least from 2005.

Someone asked earlier what order Maria Vladimirovna is wearing. It's the chain and star of the Order of St. Andrew the Apostle the First-Called (Орден Святого апостола Андрея Первозванного). It's British equialent would be the Order of Garter. The Order used to be the highest honour in the Imperial Russia and, after its restoration, is also currently the highest honour in the Russian Federation. The restored Order is given by the state (Russia). However, the Imperial Family in exile kept the "right" to grant the order to individuals as well as Maria Vladimirovna did in 2012, when she presented the Order of St. Andrew to Patriarch Kirill. Presumably, Maria Vladimirovna wears the order because she is (or considers herself to be) Head of the House. Or, it might have been granted to her by her father. She was most certainly not given the Order by the Russian Federation.

As for the tiara, I do have information on it (as well as the other tiaras in Maria Vladimirovna's collection, which it's closely connected to). I am away from my computer right now but will post an information as soon as I'm back home in the evening.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:11 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post

Irina was HH Princess of Russia as a great-granddaughter of a Tsar in the male-line. She did not lose her imperial rank, but did renounce her right of succession prior to marrying Prince Felix.

The imperial wedding regalia was for women marrying a Grand Duke or a Grand Duchess marrying a foreign prince in an equal marriage.
Irina was also a granddaughter of Tsar Alexander III through her mother the Grand Duchess Xenia.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:15 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you for your answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
As for the tiara, I do have information on it (as well as the other tiaras in Maria Vladimirovna's collection, which it's closely connected to). I am away from my computer right now but will post an information as soon as I'm back home in the evening.
Now, that is a teaser! I'm really looking forward to learning more about her tiaras.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Courtier

As far as I have seen,she was wearing several tiaras...the one posted above,the one with rubies she was wearing for some official photo,the kokoshnik one which some stated on other forums that it's fake,the wedding one,which could be the same base like the rubies one,but only with pearls and one which she was wearing as a young woman,which her mother was also wearing...

So,there were 2 tiaras that we know both mother and daughter were wearing.One is posted above and the second one is this one:

Old 04-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Courtier

Princess or Grand Duchess Maria Kirillovna wearing a tiara:

Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna wearing a tiara her mother Leonida was also wearing:

Anyone knows something more about this tiara?
All I can say is Yikes to both the tiara and the necklace. The earrings are great.

Tags
grand duchess olga alexandrovna, jewels, jewllery, romanov, russian royalty