The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Absolutely breathtaking. Just beyond exquisite. One of my absolute favorites. Thanks for posting!
You are most welcome.

Glad I am not the only one who really likes the parure. Then again, it's difficult not to. The sheer size of those sapphires is just amazing! I mean, the largest sapphire in the necklace weighed whooping 159.25 carats.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

Wow..that's amazing!

LaRae

Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Commoner

Love the sapphires!

she looks so tiny in that GINORMOUS necklace! do you think she was tiny or it was huge or both?!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangoskater View Post
she looks so tiny in that GINORMOUS necklace! do you think she was tiny or it was huge or both?!
The necklace was really huge: the biggest sapphire alone weighed 159.25 carats.
Maria Feodorovna is believed to have been around 165 cm tall, which was not at all petite: it was average or slightly above average height for women at the time.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:38 AM
Commoner

Just stunning! I think sapphires are my favorite stones, even though green is my favorite color. Do you know of books that give provenance of specific pieces of Romanov jewelry?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I would highly recommend "The Jewels of the Romanovs" by Stefano Papi, and "Jewels of the Tsars, the Romanovs and Imperial Russia" by Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark. Both are a bit pricey but excellent for reference and full of wonderful illustrations.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Heir Apparent

This fringe tiara/kokoshnik on Empress Marie Feodorovna looks stunning! The brooch and the necklaces also look exquisite.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Administrator

I believe the necklace is/was convertible to a tiara.

Marie Feodorovna by Kramskoj (same picture as that in above link)
Marie Feodorovna modestly bejewelled
Images are not subject to copyright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Empress Marie Feodorovna by Kramskoj.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	288336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Empress Marie-Feodorovna.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	288337  
Old 03-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

YOu are absolutely right; the tiara was convertible into a necklace. In fact, it was more like a necklace convertible into a tiara: a fringe necklace was literally mounted into a linen kokoshnik. Russian Royals had quite a few of such tiaras when various jewels and/or necklaces were sort of temporarily sewn into a linen kokoshnik form.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Russian Imperial Wedding Splendor

Wow. These jewels are absolutely stunning! My favorites are the necklace and earrings. Also, the Russian Nuptial tiara is simply breathtaking. The diamond clasp is also magnificent. All of these jewels are just exquisite.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Majesty

A bit too grand for my taste, but definitely pretty.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post

I could force myself to wear it. Really, there is no reason to take it off, even while showering. Shampoo will make it sparkle cleanly!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Serene Highness

The tiara's just amazing!! Those earrings however...Don't want to even try and imagine how heavy those are, but they are up in the WOWZA range. W/all of those unreal pieces of jewelry on all the same time *and* the dress *and* trains *and* Mantle/Robe of State and I can very easily imagine that if your pages took off somewhere, no way and no how were you moving anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I could force myself to wear it. Really, there is no reason to take it off, even while showering. Shampoo will make it sparkle cleanly!
I'm w/Scooter, although I'm not sure I'd wear it into the shower. If I did though, I'd make sure I was using Baby Shampoo. Much gentler period and would still make those beauties sparkle like nothing else.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

More than a bit over the top and not exactly elegant when all put together and the robe added on. Glittering yes but elegant no. When brides suffer from headaches, neck pains, need help standing and walking something is wrong with their outfit. Probably why the last Romanoff bride Princess Irene Alexandrovna, the Tsars niece shunned the whole get up and opted for something more modern in 1914.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
More than a bit over the top and not exactly elegant when all put together and the robe added on. Glittering yes but elegant no. When brides suffer from headaches, neck pains, need help standing and walking something is wrong with their outfit. Probably why the last Romanoff bride Princess Irene Alexandrovna, the Tsars niece shunned the whole get up and opted for something more modern in 1914.
My feelings exactly.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Didn't Irina loose her status as Grand Duchess because the Yussupovs were not equal? (Feliks was a prince, but his family has never been reigning anywhere) I always thought that was the reason she didn't wear the imperial wedding outfit.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:23 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Didn't Irina loose her status as Grand Duchess because the Yussupovs were not equal? (Feliks was a prince, but his family has never been reigning anywhere) I always thought that was the reason she didn't wear the imperial wedding outfit.
Irina was never a grand duchess. She was an imperial princess.. Through the paternal line she was only a great grand daughter of a sovereign, while maternally she was the grandchild of TM Czar alexader and Marie feodorovna. Tsar AIII limited the styles and status's of the imperial family during his reign, thus decreasing the states future burden.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfraley View Post
Irina was never a grand duchess. She was an imperial princess.. Through the paternal line she was only a great grand daughter of a sovereign, while maternally she was the grandchild of TM Czar alexader and Marie feodorovna. Tsar AIII limited the styles and status's of the imperial family during his reign, thus decreasing the states future burden.
Thanks for correcting me. So that is one more explanation, why she didn't wear all the imperial baubles, isn't it?

Can we list which imperial brides wore them? I have seen pictures of
- GD Maria Pavlovna in 1908
- GD Elena Vladimirovna in 1902
- Princess Alix von Hessen und bei Rhein in 1894
- Princess Elisabeth von Sachsen-Altenburg in 1884
Are there more?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Thanks for correcting me. So that is one more explanation, why she didn't wear all the imperial baubles, isn't it?

Can we list which imperial brides wore them? I have seen pictures of
- GD Maria Pavlovna in 1908
- GD Elena Vladimirovna in 1902
- Princess Alix von Hessen und bei Rhein in 1894
- Princess Elisabeth von Sachsen-Altenburg in 1884
Are there more?

I think it has been worn by all Grand Duchesses born and married in since the time of Catharina the great. But only from a handfull there are pics. One exception was Pricness Marie of Greece b ecause she married at Corfu and not in Russia.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I think it has been worn by all Grand Duchesses born and married in since the time of Catharina the great. But only from a handfull there are pics. One exception was Pricness Marie of Greece b ecause she married at Corfu and not in Russia.
The tiara was made ~1810 for Elizabeth Alexeievna,wife of Emperor Alexander I.
Alexander was Catharina's grandson.
Only earrings with cherries belonged to Catharina.

Tags
grand duchess olga alexandrovna, jewels, jewllery, romanov, russian royalty